Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Great Beer posted:

The first one which turns the player invisble?

Shalinor posted:

Both. Clearly Reagan should be spitting jelly bellys at the protagonist. Presumably grandpa doesn't like jelly bellys, so he turns invisible so as to avoid being offered any.

... wait why has no one done a Boy And His Blob reskin with Reagan. :aaa:

Invisible??

Oh right, you flicker when you're invulnerable, I guess my capture managed to miss every single visible frame! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

3 days left, just enough time to turn my stuff into something resembling a game :v:

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Polo-Rican posted:

This is lovely and very evocative. Do you have music for it? Do you want music for it? I have time to make a few songs, maybe 3? Title, flying to planet, playing golf?

My stuff: https://123blaston.bandcamp.com/

Cheers, that would be fantastic! Haven't got PMs but if you email me at dan@monsterjail.com I can give you more details

Also made a logo (placeholder background, need to redo the divots on the ball If I have time)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Oh God I'm shittin' it today but I took a break to make a cart over lunch.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just wanted to say that throughout the years, I've listened to "Choose Your Own Adventure" about a hundred times, and there isn't a :allears: big enough. Really fantastic stuff.

Thanks! I'd really like to make more music-for-the-sake-of-music, but I have so many personal projects going on now that all I have time to make is soundtracks. Also, now that my primary focus is games, the new stuff is more authentically 8-bit - I'd really like to make another CYOA album where I'm much less constrained to a set of instruments and sounds. maybe i should take a week off and airbnb a cabin somewhere...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Just started hooking up the VO for my game. Ooh yes VO makes everything better! Just gotta finish that, fix the bugs, and make this thing really shine!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Polo-Rican posted:

I'd really like to make another CYOA album where I'm much less constrained to a set of instruments and sounds.

Wait, did you make a choose your own adventure album that has branching storyline and decisions to make which affect which tracks you hear?

Because I've been espousing that concept for years but all I can do are really spiffy jams in A-minor.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hammer Bro. posted:

Wait, did you make a choose your own adventure album that has branching storyline and decisions to make which affect which tracks you hear?

Because I've been espousing that concept for years but all I can do are really spiffy jams in A-minor.

That's another name for C Major!! I can see through your ruse :colbert:

I do it, too. Way too often :ohdear:

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Work on GRANDPA VS. POKEYMAN continues apace. Still no idea if I'm actually going to have a finished game by Monday but I feel pretty good about getting from "holy poo poo I have no art assets" to this in a couple of days.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

WrathOfBlade posted:

Work on GRANDPA VS. POKEYMAN continues apace. Still no idea if I'm actually going to have a finished game by Monday but I feel pretty good about getting from "holy poo poo I have no art assets" to this in a couple of days.

Aw yeh thoser good fake Pokemon tiles/sprites

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's another name for C Major!! I can see through your ruse :colbert:

I do it, too. Way too often :ohdear:
How does one stick to a single key like that? My brain just picks a random key for me and I go from there. C#, G#, F, E, D, it's all the same to me. I do skew heavily toward minor keys, but Team Terrible Gramphics has essentially had me compose 6 different songs in E Major, so... yeah.

(Seriously though I just browsed through several of the minor-key tracks in my documents folder and not a single one of them shared the same key which I actually find kind of surprising myself honestly but never mind that)

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Cloud Yeller is done.
I dont want to spend the last few days panicing about submitting it in time so did so now.

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/cloud-yeller

Windows build: http://buffix.net/static/cloudyeller/CloudYeller.zip
HTML5 build: http://buffix.net/playcloudyeller/ (requires Chrome and fast computer, and may drop frames)

Thanks to Xibanya, Mihai Zetta and Weird Bias for the awesome help making this.

http://i.imgur.com/QiwYmPr.mp4

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

https://shoehead.itch.io/gramp-in-the-shell?secret=lXN9SCcfOPzBf4PX4bC5YPP51Bw

Last test version is up. I think I got most? Bugs out, last really annoying one is a really weird edge case with, surprise surprise, collision, but I can't reliably recreate it. Anyone finds any more let me know. So far 2 levels and the last boss are in. I just have to do the approach to the boss and maybe a short cutscene to set the fight up and I'll finally have something that's mostly done!

Getting music over the weekend too, I'm really excited to finish this! :3: I just put something like 14 hours into this today...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Buffis posted:

Cloud Yeller is done.
I dont want to spend the last few days panicing about submitting it in time so did so now.

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/cloud-yeller

Windows build: http://buffix.net/static/cloudyeller/CloudYeller.zip
HTML5 build: http://buffix.net/playcloudyeller/ (requires Chrome and fast computer, and may drop frames)

Thanks to Xibanya, Mihai Zetta and Weird Bias for the awesome help making this.

http://i.imgur.com/QiwYmPr.mp4

A strong entry, I approve.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ultigonio posted:

How does one stick to a single key like that? My brain just picks a random key for me and I go from there. C#, G#, F, E, D, it's all the same to me. I do skew heavily toward minor keys, but Team Terrible Gramphics has essentially had me compose 6 different songs in E Major, so... yeah.

Uh so actually I'm woefully deficient at music theory and it's possible I strayed into other keys but considering my fingering never left the vicinity of A Minor I'd assume it's all in the same key.

I'd certainly appreciate a theoretical analysis if you were bored but basically this is the kind of thing that tends to happen when I'm some level of sleep-deprived and I have a guitar: http://www.gastronok.com/12StringA.ogg

In general I'm happy with it, especially as aimless background music. I do wish I had any patience or aptitude for deliberate composition, though.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Uh so actually I'm woefully deficient at music theory and it's possible I strayed into other keys but considering my fingering never left the vicinity of A Minor I'd assume it's all in the same key.

I'd certainly appreciate a theoretical analysis if you were bored but basically this is the kind of thing that tends to happen when I'm some level of sleep-deprived and I have a guitar: http://www.gastronok.com/12StringA.ogg

In general I'm happy with it, especially as aimless background music. I do wish I had any patience or aptitude for deliberate composition, though.

Aaaah, I understand. Noodling! That's the sort of thing I wish I could do a bit more of, but since I don't even have a keyboard to use for MIDI input, my music tends to be a lot more rhythmic. You and I sort of exist in two entirely different camps of "making music," although I will admit that I remember very little of my music theory training beyond the basics and, nowadays, compose based on feeling and mostly self-taught methods. I will say, though, "guitar noodling in A minor" is a very powerful tool for atmosphere.

If you want to go beyond a paradigm like "only playing in A minor," then the best way to do so is to specifically "ban" yourself from doing or using certain things. Your brain works a little harder to make ends meet with the music, and suddenly you've pushed your boundaries just that much.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Just a friendly reminder that the deadline is rock solid (barring site issues). Please plan to upload your game BEFORE Sunday if you can help it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I present to you:

A game from Team Nerd Bullet.

Special thanks to Rupert Buttermilk for providing excellent music.

Download here

Awfuljams page here

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

I look forward to the sequel: Die Alone Complex.

Aw. I made myself sad. :(

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I just want to say thanks to Afal, Buffis and WrathOfBlade for giving me the opportunity to make music for their different projects. I love how schizophrenic the songs ended up being in comparison to each other (hard rock, jazz/concert band, and chiptunes) but I'm happy with the work I've done and the things I learned doing it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I present to you:

A game from Team Nerd Bullet.

Special thanks to Rupert Buttermilk for providing excellent music.

Download here

Awfuljams page here

Happy and proud of my work here. For anyone who cares, I was asked to create two versions of each level's music; one for old-man gameplay, and one for the... uhh... 'special mode'. Both tracks (I believe) are triggered in game simultaneously, with one being muted while the other plays. This process allowes seamless transitions from one version to the other as gameplay modes switch. Each song 'pair' is exactly the same key, beat, tempo, and length (down to the sample) since for me it was just a matter of muting some tracks and not others while bouncing (exporting) each version from Logic Studio.

Anyway, all of this can also be done with audio middleware such as Fmod Studio and/or Wwise, but there wasn't enough time to dedicate working through using that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Double the teams, double my chance of being attached to the :siren:Least Bad:siren: game of the jam. :smuggo: Ya'll gotta approach this strategically!

In all seriousness play Cloud Yeller because it's awesome and Buffi is awesome and a saint for tolerating me basically dropping off the face of the earth this past week due to :derp: over Team Dogpit's entry.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Xibanya posted:

Double the teams, double my chance of being attached to the :siren:Least Bad:siren: game of the jam. :smuggo: Ya'll gotta approach this strategically!
This is precisely the reason why I jump onto at least three teams every jam!

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Nearly done with Old Man's Drive

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
Alas I did not have time to add the concept of 'sound' to my game before submitting it. Oh well.

On the bright side, I feel like I'm getting comfortable with Unity and am ready to hit the ground running to learn sound programming for a project I'm much less likely to get burned out on and hate due to poorly thought out gameplay concepts :)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Aw yeh thoser good fake Pokemon tiles/sprites

This means way too much coming from a pixelgod like yourself :unsmith:

Really enjoying the entries I've checked out so far!! (that I can play on my mac) (so mostly just Cloud Yeller)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

WrathOfBlade posted:

This means way too much coming from a pixelgod like yourself :unsmith:

Really enjoying the entries I've checked out so far!! (that I can play on my mac) (so mostly just Cloud Yeller)

Thank you but don't sell yourself short!!! :3:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Weird BIAS posted:

I just want to say thanks to Afal, Buffis and WrathOfBlade for giving me the opportunity to make music for their different projects. I love how schizophrenic the songs ended up being in comparison to each other (hard rock, jazz/concert band, and chiptunes) but I'm happy with the work I've done and the things I learned doing it.

Super happy with the Cloud Yeller tunes.
Thanks a lot!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ClownSyndrome posted:

Nearly done with Old Man's Drive

That is sexy as hell

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gonna resign to the Wall of Shame. I've ended up incredibly sick these past few days (and most of the month tbh) and with the other people on my team getting hosed over by work we've not been able to finish it. I'm having a lot of fun with it though so I'll think I'll develop ghost fishing into a full game this year. :shobon:

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I submitted my game. My goal was to force myself to learn how to make a basic game, I consider that part a success. The game itself is really terrible, but I learned a lot making it. I did all the "art" and sounds myself as well.

Download it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B89mHK9Mra8tUXV0eTYwMjZ4bUk

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Ugh, woke up sick today. Don't know if I can finish properly now.

Worst case I'll submit my map generator as a "game" I guess. :(

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Corbeau posted:

Ugh, woke up sick today. Don't know if I can finish properly now.

Worst case I'll submit my map generator as a "game" I guess. :(

Note that if you submit half finished games or just "whatever you had finished" that isn't actually a game or on theme then you'll end up on the wall of shame anyways.

Our judges put a lot of time and effort into reviewing each game, please respect their time by only submitting playable "experiences".

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
Done and dusted. Check out our latest bird-related game. Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap!

Itch.io Page

Best of luck to everybody else still crunching it out!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gunzil posted:

Done and dusted. Check out our latest bird-related game. Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap!

Itch.io Page

Best of luck to everybody else still crunching it out!

Jesus christ this looks good.

How...?! :psyduck:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Gunzil posted:

Itch.io Page

I did all the sound for this one, both music and SFX!! I'm very proud of the work I did here and everyone else who worked on this should be proud of theirs, too!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 30, 2016

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Right I've had enough of working on my game

https://afal.itch.io/game-based-on-the-results-to-a-vote-that-people-had

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Whoop! Finished my game, gotta get it up on the site. Gotta sort some stuff out with the non-web build. Looking forward to playing all your games soon!

Click to play Battle of Wits!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

JonTerp posted:

Note that if you submit half finished games or just "whatever you had finished" that isn't actually a game or on theme then you'll end up on the wall of shame anyways.

Our judges put a lot of time and effort into reviewing each game, please respect their time by only submitting playable "experiences".

Fair enough.

I'm going to spend the weekend resting then. I may finish development next month, outside the jam, and will post further updates in the Making Games Megathread instead of here. If folks are interested in following the mapmaking, look for it there - likely starting sometime next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

JonTerp posted:

"Begins sweatening"

Grandpa's 3d overworld may be cut from the judge version, but dangit, his opening and (probably) closing cutscene are definitely making it in to the judge version.

Hell grandpa's 3d overworld might still make it! But... best prepare for worst case.

• Locked thread