Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also: Donald Trump lost a billion dollars in 1995 and hasn't paid taxes since

This is true and his chances of getting a majority of Americans to vote for him are close to nil.

The chances of Putin or someone else who doesn't give a poo poo about American electoral integrity trying to steal the election? Higher. Key states like PA don't have any paper trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

awesmoe posted:

you dont have to hack every machine, just a few in key places

A few key precincts in a few key districts in a few key states, all orchestrated by the dumb fuckers who scream about vagina bones online?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

awesmoe posted:

you dont have to hack every machine, just a few in key places

North Carolina alone has over 200 different polling places with multiple electronic machines in each polling place

Let's say, conservatively, you would only need to interrupt 10% of those polling places to swing the state. That is 20 polling places with approximately 5-6 machines each. The Russians would need 100-120 coordinated field agents just to swing North Carolina.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Funnily enough to successfully hack an election you would need a competent ground game.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, but that would mean there would have to be a separate field agent for every machine in every precinct. It's not like they let you go up to every voting machine either.

You're really over thinking it.

1) you don't need every machine. If there's only 5 machines then just hitting one of them means you've taken away the vote of potentially 20% of the people voting at that polling place.

2) You don't even need to be a voter, you can just sign up to be an election judge. I did it in January. All they asked me was for proof I lived in the district and was over 18. If you're there you can just go up to the machines and pop in the usb drive.

3) Since the attack vector is just a bit of code probably less than a MB, you can just freely distribute it. You don't even need a truely coordinated effort. There's enough idiots out there who'd be willing to "troll" the election for Russian. I wouldn't put this past /pol/.

4) You don't need to hit every district, nor even every precinct, or even every polling station in a precinct. People have long since analyzed what areas are the most crucial to a given campaign. What do you think Obama and Hillary's GOTV effort is? They're not trying to get everyone to vote. They're targeting exactly the districts and precincts they need. It would work the same with for an attack.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also keep in mind those 120 Russian field agents would also have to have US citizenship and be registered to vote

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In an extremely close election, it'd be very possible to swing it by hacking.

This won't be an extremely close election.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

Reminder to Americans: No one's win poo poo yet. Volunteer to GOTV. Even if Hillary is near guaranteed we need the Senate and (gods willing) the House.

Yep. Also need to get the polls up bigly for HC to offset any rigging attempts.

Will be amazing though if the Trumpsterfire accidentally somehow makes paying taxes great and patriotic an HUGE again.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crain posted:

I sincerely doubt he personally pays for anything. He eats at his own restaurants, charges any non Trump Enterprises expenses on company cards (because gently caress you it's my money and my company), and has his assistants pay for pocket money stuff (and probably doesn't pay them back).

A ways back, but to add, he also spends his charity's money on personal poo poo. Last Week Tonight dug through that mess

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

greatn posted:

Funnily enough to successfully hack an election you would need a competent ground game.

What if you had a 10 year old boy who was really good with computers?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crain posted:

2) You don't even need to be a voter, you can just sign up to be an election judge. I did it in January. All they asked me was for proof I lived in the district and was over 18. If you're there you can just go up to the machines and pop in the usb drive.

Without anyone noticing you?

Also keep in mind, only a single person would need to be caught for the entire thing to be blown

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hodgepodge posted:

I dunno, is the usb port right there in the booth with you?

I can only speak to the machines in my polling place and yes there is an easily accessibly USB port on the side of the machine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also keep in mind those 120 Russian field agents would also have to have US citizenship and be registered to vote

You're assuming that alt-righters wouldn't sell out their country for the lols.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Here in Illinois, at least in the cities I've voted in, we use optical scanners. Fill in the circles on the ballot, just like a multiple-choice test. Then feed the ballot into the machine and you're done. They're counted electronically, but the paper ballots exist and could be counted manually if there were some dispute.

So the only electronic part of it is by the table with all the election judges. I guess you could hack it if you were Catwoman.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crain posted:

You're assuming that alt-righters wouldn't sell out their country for the lols.

How exactly would Russia coordinate a massive campaign like that with a bunch of alt-right channers without anyone finding out?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

ImpAtom posted:

I have literally never been wronger about anything in my life.
To be fair, for the first 20 minutes or so it looked like he was winning. And for the weeks prior he had been on 'better behavior' than normal, suggesting he might actually be prepared and on-message.

:shrug:

There was good reason to be scared!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crain posted:

I can only speak to the machines in my polling place and yes there is an easily accessibly USB port on the side of the machine.

This seems more like an issue of idiotic design and physical security. There's no reason for anything to be in the booth aside from a display and an input method.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Without anyone noticing you?

Also keep in mind, only a single person would need to be caught for the entire thing to be blown

Yeah, 90% of the people who sign up to do that kind of work are literal grandmas. Just offer to help set up the machines. Oh look Edith went to the bathroom for the 500th time this morning and the other two people still think Hee Haw is on the air, *plug in, remove*.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

I dunno, is the usb port right there in the booth with you?

Apparently in at least a few states, the answer was yes until as recently as 2015.

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/virginia-finally-drops-americas-worst-voting-machines/
https://www.verifiedvoting.org/resources/voting-equipment/avs/winvote/

They had always-on wifi, open USB ports, and some of them were also losing one vote for every 100 cast. They also had "sealed" USB ports in the sense that you could pop off the tamper-evident seal and do whatever you wanted anyway, and people could just tell that someone had done something.

No idea on the more recent models, though, as I've been voting absentee my entire life.

Edit: Oh, and the WEP encryption key was "abcde" by default.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The one annoying part of every massive bombshell like this is waiting to see if it actually hits after it drops.

Still, I think the debate took that bullshit aura of invincibility off the bastard and he's taking on water now.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
The New York Times actually did a journalism? :aaaaa:

I didn't think this week could get any better. Wow.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How exactly would Russia coordinate a massive campaign like that with a bunch of alt-right channers without anyone finding out?

I mean, I'm not trying to chicken little here.

I don't think it's a likely scenario.

But it's pretty possible.

The hard part is definitely organizing it and making sure the people who know keep quiet.

The actual implementation is scary easy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crain posted:

Yeah, 90% of the people who sign up to do that kind of work are literal grandmas. Just offer to help set up the machines. Oh look Edith went to the bathroom for the 500th time this morning and the other two people still think Hee Haw is on the air, *plug in, remove*.

So the second all the machines go down there would be an insanely obvious culprit? And if multiple districts all have the same issue and all of them have a token 20 something who volunteered to be a judge despite having never done it before no one would pick up on that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Jesus loving Christ people go write your stupid Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell fan fiction someplace else.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

lozzle posted:

The New York Times actually did a journalism? :aaaaa:

I didn't think this week could get any better. Wow.

And possibly sucked up being hammered on being to "neutral" for a month with this just waiting.

Faith though is restored.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

has anyone seen the digimon movie

is that what hacking the polls would be like

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

After Trump wins all ballots will just be replaced with those Nazi ones with the giant JA and tiny nein bubbles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmTidAKvKtc

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So the second all the machines go down there would be an insanely obvious culprit? And if multiple districts all have the same issue and all of them have a token 20 something who volunteered to be a judge despite having never done it before no one would pick up on that?

With that scenario it wasn't a "fry the machine" attack.

But this is unproductive. My point is that electronic voting is incredibly vulnerable to attack, which is not a statement anyone should take umbrage with.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Also, voting booths increasingly have wifi (which of course have hardcoded, manufacturer passwords). You can literally wardrive them.

You also don't need to hit every polling place. Just hit ones that would lean against your candidate and suppress that vote.

Also also, polling places are staffed by 80 year olds. Even if that state doesn't have voting booths with wifi, show up in a work uniform, fiddle with poo poo, walk out.

But yeah, far easier to hit voter registration databases, and we're already seeing those hacks this year. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/fbi-states-voting-systems-digital-assualt-227523

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

has anyone seen the digimon movie

is that what hacking the polls would be like

Where does omnimon fit in?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So we're doing well enough that the new Arzying is Tom Clancy poo poo.

Good sign.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

That's Edith when she get's back from the bathroom.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

After Trump wins all ballots will just be replaced with those Nazi ones with the giant JA and tiny nein bubbles.

Did anyone get renamed "tiny nein bubbles" in that gbs thread?

Seems like a good name

Crain posted:

But this is unproductive. My point is that electronic voting is incredibly vulnerable to attack, which is not a statement anyone should take umbrage with.

I will acknowledge a single machine is vulnerable, sure, and that those vulnerabilities should be fixed. But the level of coordination necessary to mass hack machines and districts to a level necessary to swing an election is implausible to the point of absurdity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

tai: clinton
matt: kaine

wargreymon: new york times
metalgarurumon: trump's ex-financial adviser

omnimon: trump's tax reports

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did anyone get renamed "tiny nein bubbles" in that gbs thread?

Seems like a good name

I will acknowledge a single machine is vulnerable, sure, and that those vulnerabilities should be fixed. But the level of coordination necessary to mass hack machines and districts to a level necessary to swing an election is implausible to the point of absurdity

It's perfectly doable. I don't think it could be done without those involved getting caught, though. You'd need a large conspiracy and in a large conspiracy someone would gently caress up and/or squeal.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But the level of coordination necessary to mass hack machines and districts to a level necessary to swing an election is implausible to the point of absurdity

My position is it's unlikely but increasingly possible. Especially as these machines keep aging. The longer those vulnerabilities exist the more likely and easier an attack becomes.

This is even more true if these machines ever "phone home".

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's perfectly doable. I don't think it could be done without those involved getting caught, though. You'd need a large conspiracy and in a large conspiracy someone would gently caress up and/or squeal.

They can post the exploit online, encourage lone wolf behavior. Anyone who squeals just has a link to an anonymous website.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

fosborb posted:

Also, voting booths increasingly have wifi (which of course have hardcoded, manufacturer passwords). You can literally wardrive them.

You also don't need to hit every polling place. Just hit ones that would lean against your candidate and suppress that vote.

Also also, polling places are staffed by 80 year olds. Even if that state doesn't have voting booths with wifi, show up in a work uniform, fiddle with poo poo, walk out.

Alright, let's say the Russians could hack all the machines in close districts so that they all vote for Trump or whatever or turn every 10th dem vote into a republican vote.

All of a sudden you would have districts that have voted consistently blue for a generation all across the country suddenly simultaneously have wildly unexpected results with the one common denominator being they all used the same vulnerable voting machine

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think it could be done without those involved getting caught, though. You'd need a large conspiracy and in a large conspiracy someone would gently caress up and/or squeal.

Yeah that's my thing. Its not the process that is implausible, its the coordination.

Sensible Thursday posted:

They can post the exploit online, encourage lone wolf behavior. Anyone who squeals just has a link to an anonymous website.

Which would instantly render the election invalid. There would be inarguable proof of a coordinated attempt to hijack the election and the results wouldn't be accepted.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 2, 2016

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
personally, i think the scary north koreans will hack all the machines with their scary juche powers. that's what my dad told me, and he's very important. he owns mcdonalds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Everything is amazing.

I'm going to bed, when I wake up I expect some DT tweets

• Locked thread