Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
"I've got a nice sword! Would you like?! :black101:"

Okay, that seals it. Bayek is my favorite assassin. :3: Never has any other (assassin) character in the series entertained me as much as he has.

(The quest called "Forging Siwa")

Morter fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Walrus Pete posted:

Ptolemy's Fist, huh? Level 22? Well I'm level 18 or so, shouldn't be too b-:gibs:
I was clearing a big enemy camp when he showed up in it. At first I thought I was hosed fighting against the entire camp AND a Phylax. But I just ended up killing the entire camp around him (alerting him from time to time so that he wouldn't ride away) and then having an empty camp as a playground made it easy. I just kept assassinating him from above over and over escaping to the rooftops afterwards every time to lose him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Phylakes really are an amazing addition to the series, and it's wild that it took them so long to introduce "what if people were hunting you too"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

precision posted:

The Phylakes really are an amazing addition to the series, and it's wild that it took them so long to introduce "what if people were hunting you too"

IMO it doesn't feel like it. Just feels like mini bosses. They have a patrol and often stop, vulnerable to assassin attempts.

Meanwhile, I get sincerely more surprised or startled by "Rogue Animal" / "Bandit Attack" events, because they literally pop up out of nowhere half the time. That's when I feel hunted. :tinfoil:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I spent like a minute running behind a mounted phylax to shank him with my blade and the instant I catch up with him he jumps off his horse so instead of shanking him I steal his horse. Completely unintended, but it made the fight even easier.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
What's up with fire resolution?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

corn in the bible posted:

Also, if you want to light your arrows with no fire about, you can drop a torch and aim at it while crouching

Got this from a level 35 phylaketai (or whatever) ;-*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

There have been random people hunting you in the series since Revelations

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
You can't go 15 feet in Rogue without someone randomly popping iut if a haystack to try and kill you

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FWIW, I definitely got a significant FPS boost from the new patch, I can actually bump some things up to the highest like character texture and detail, tessellation, shadows, and clutter... with zero impact on FPS but a definite boost to graphical fidelity.

Game runs at a near constant 45 fps for me... which I think is great for my aged rig. (i5 3350, 970GTX, and 8gbs of ram)

CPU usage is definitely still pretty god damned high though but I'm used to middling performance in games so this doesn't bother me as much as it would others I'm sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah there's even a loading screen tip that says "If you accidentally dismantle a Store item, you can always just claim it again" but they must have patched that out, otherwise you'd have a (very slow) way to get infinite money since you can sell materials. And also the fact you'd be able to essentially upgrade them for free.

Then just make them dismantle into nothing.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Patch made me start crashing every 15 minutes or so. i5-6600k, ASUS 1080 Strix, 16 gigs of ram.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well the ending is dumb. Having to play as Aya wasn't great. You spend all of except maybe 15 minutes of the game with Bayek and then the climax has you perform one of the most famous assassinations in history with a secondary character. You do a boss fight you've already done and then it's press y to finish the game.

Everything before that was great though.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Always loved the settings of Assassin's creed games, never been able to play more than a couple of hours due to the gameplay and commands (both console or pc), I am playing the hell of this one and loving it so far.
The atmosphear is top notch, the game is gorgeous (trees are generic but the rest is just amazing especially water or the veils), combat is fun, stealth is enjoyable, I like all the hidden places and quests and want to find them all.
They really did an amazing job and I can't recommand the game enough. I just wish I had more outfit, and items and ways to be a good looking assassin but I love being a Sekhmet with a long blade axe. Oh and somehow I don't get why we can't move bodies of people we stunned. Forced to kill them while they are moaning and rolling on the ground.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The patch either added a new Charged Heavy for two-handed maces or fixed the one they were supposed to have in the first place.

Also, when you get to Giza, before you do anything else, raid the three pyramids - you'll get 3 Ability Points and only one of them is remotely tricky to get into.

Lollerich posted:

I got that from a Papyrus puzzle at level 23, it's incredible. Also, On Fire weapons can be used as light sources.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

The patch either added a new Charged Heavy for two-handed maces or fixed the one they were supposed to have in the first place.

Also, when you get to Giza, before you do anything else, raid the three pyramids - you'll get 3 Ability Points and only one of them is remotely tricky to get into.

I got that from a Papyrus puzzle at level 23, it's incredible. Also, On Fire weapons can be used as light sources.

Theres a gourth tomb in the NE of Giza too, but it has dudes in it.

One of the only like 3 tombs that has any combat in it but snakes, I think

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lollerich posted:

Holy butts do I want that.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Lollerich posted:

This thing rules. While I was hiding and observing patrol patterns, I accidentally set a fort on fire with it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Morter posted:

IMO it doesn't feel like it. Just feels like mini bosses. They have a patrol and often stop, vulnerable to assassin attempts.

Yeah they don't actively hunt for you at all or, if they do, they are incredibly bad at it.They generally don't go for you unless you are right in front of their face.

Also I saw one die by getting stuck in some geography and then somehow running himself over with his own chariot. I got credit for the kill even though I didn't touch him!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man this game is weird as hell about saving/loading spawns. I saved in an area last night, when I loaded my game this morning I was standing in a Stone Circle - one that I hadn't discovered (and didn't know was there, it was in the middle of rear end nowhere desert). As soon as the game loaded I got the XP for "discovering" it :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm trying to hold out on buying this for a bit but against every drop of my better nature, screen shots of cool weapons are really triggering my loot itch.

In general I never wanted random Diablo loot in an Assassin's Creed game but god drat it a fun action-RPG with cool loot sounds real nice right now. So is the loot itself fun? Any cool unique effects, or is it mostly just about bigger and bigger numbers?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Earwicker posted:

Yeah they don't actively hunt for you at all or, if they do, they are incredibly bad at it.They generally don't go for you unless you are right in front of their face.

If an alarm brazier is lit, any Phylake in the zone will join the response and hunt for you.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Coldforge posted:

If an alarm brazier is lit, any Phylake in the zone will join the response and hunt for you.

This was how I got my first kill.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

I'm trying to hold out on buying this for a bit but against every drop of my better nature, screen shots of cool weapons are really triggering my loot itch.

In general I never wanted random Diablo loot in an Assassin's Creed game but god drat it a fun action-RPG with cool loot sounds real nice right now. So is the loot itself fun? Any cool unique effects, or is it mostly just about bigger and bigger numbers?

LEGENDARY loot has unique effects but is real rare. Other stuff is just, like, different stats or modifiers. It's not amazing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I got a yellow scepter that applies poison, the scorpion's something. That means it's the only one of its kind?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Calaveron posted:

I got a yellow scepter that applies poison, the scorpion's something. That means it's the only one of its kind?

Yeah, don't sell or dismantle it. Upgrading legendary stuff is super expensive but you won't get another one, so you might as well save it and see if you want to upgrade later. Damage over time is really good in this game so that sounds very useful.

I think it's probably possible to get a duplicate since they seem to just be another list of items that drops as opposed to specific legendary items in specific places, but it's not likely

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

The loot game isn't really that strong, though there are a lot of weapons with cool/unique looks (not just Legendaries, there are tons of unique looking Rares).

There also kind of isn't much combat. I've got 30 hours on the clock and I'd be generous at estimating that 2 hours of that has been combat (maybe 4 hours if you include "stealth killing everyone in the base"). It's mostly an adventure/exploration game, moreso than AC ever has been before. Like, the thread title is accurate, but TW3 and Horizon both have wayyyyyy more combat than this game.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Calaveron posted:

Yellow items are legendary, the rarest of the item drops. You can definitely get dupes, though; I've gotten enough Djoser's Pride shields than I could build my own felucca.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

It's mostly an adventure/exploration game, moreso than AC ever has been before. Like, the thread title is accurate, but TW3 and Horizon both have wayyyyyy more combat than this game.

Well, that's pretty appealing, too, actually. How are the tomb exploration parts?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, don't sell or dismantle it. Upgrading legendary stuff is super expensive but you won't get another one, so you might as well save it and see if you want to upgrade later. Damage over time is really good in this game so that sounds very useful.

I think it's probably possible to get a duplicate since they seem to just be another list of items that drops as opposed to specific legendary items in specific places, but it's not likely

It's definitely possible. I got a Sarissa from one of the nomad quests, then another from killing a Phylake.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I have actually gotten the same legendary twice.

It's just super improbable, but also saved me a ton of gold!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

New thread title is acceptable, that'll do mods... that'll do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Well, that's pretty appealing, too, actually. How are the tomb exploration parts?

I'm still pretty early and have only raided 4 tombs, they were all quite short but very atmospheric and "authentic" feeling. 2 of them had kinda clever puzzle solving. I'm hoping later game tombs are bigger with more puzzles though.

And I've gotten several dupe Legendaries, I think the pool is small enough that it isn't too rare. I've gotten the same shield like 3 times.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah there's not a huge number. cheated myself a couple of million gold and blew it on those gambling boxes. There's about 5-6 of each type - except for scepters of which there are like 10. You can get all the dlc stuff from those too.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Kind of interested in this but

1. I hate Ubisoft, even moreso after the absolute travesty that For Honor was
2. Despite having played 3 of them, I've never enjoyed any AC game for more than about 3 hours

I loved TW3 and HZD, but unless this game has seriously, truly reinvented itself over the last few years I feel like that is a huge overstatement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

2. Despite having played 3 of them, I've never enjoyed any AC game for more than about 3 hours

I loved TW3 and HZD, but unless this game has seriously, truly reinvented itself over the last few years I feel like that is a huge overstatement.

its good. its basically the witcher 3 but with souls lite combat. the world is beutifual and alive, the main character and his wife are cool and likable and story is pretty good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It's really not an overstatement, imo. I've always been more or less lukewarm on the series outside of 2, Brotherhood and 4, and certainly have never felt compelled to put 30 hours into an entry in less than a week, which I've done with Origins. It's not so much that the game has dramatic system reworkings - though it does have those - but that the whole tone and gameplay loop is different. I haven't played Breath of the Wild but the way people talked about that game is how this game feels to me. It's the first time in ages where I've felt compelled to explore just for the sake of exploring, rather than just heading for a ? on the map. Sometimes I do that too, but this is the first game in a very long time where I've thought "I know there's probably no tangible reward for checking out that place, but goddamn I want to explore it anyway".

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

precision posted:

Nah I can't recall what it's called but it's a Legendary, not Rare.

Oh yeah and PSA :siren: HOLD ON to 2 Crocodile Eggs, 2 Hyena Ears, and 2 Vulture Skulls for an early quest. I believe it's the only quest in the game that requires you to keep trinkets.

There's another later on that needs flamingo and heron pieces. Both can be found really close to the quest giver though but it never hurts to be prepared :v:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Also if you're not spending your down time shooting flamingos with flaming arrows, it's like you don't even really want to play the game right anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Holy gently caress am I beginning to hate the level system. If you make the enemies harder to kill making me do 12 damage per hit is not a fair of un mechanism, it's cheap as poo poo. Me being steamrolled by an enemy just because hes a few levels above me isnt fun, it's frustrating and arbitary.

I liked the old style of making the enemies having more hp or being more skilled much better, if I was good I could still kill them after a while. With the lvl system, nit so much.