Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

How many times do you get the... "you know, the first Ultimate Warrior actually died in the 80s..."

My MA told me that one, some time in the early 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

It would never happen but it would be nice if those from WWE who are incredibly rich and famous and have massive influence now such as The Rock, Batista, John Cena (although he's still with the company so maybe he just cant) would refuse to wrestle again for the company until things change, stick up for the performers and actively shine a light on the lovely things going on and be a voice for those wrestlers who are still under contract and cant really say poo poo. If anything that would get more fan attention and do more to put pressure on WWE to change than any news piece I think.

But they just cant turn down that nice fat paycheck for an easy match between movies so yeah not going to happen.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I remember years ago when this subforum wasn't even a subforum and people were into Rebecca Knox and said she should never go to WWE because it was a divas wasteland. And then she suffered a severe injury and it seemed like that was that.

And then, eventually, Becky Lynch debuts in NXT, mercifully is relieved of a Riverdance gimmick, and the rest is history.

Whether she wins or loses tonight, she's main eventing WrestleMania. Nothing can take that away from her. I'm so glad at what she's accomplished.

Same goes for Kofi.

gently caress everything else.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

I lack excitement, but I am interested in seeing a few results enough to want to see it. I hope New Legacy is doing a stream because I absolutely dont care to listen exclusively to the announce team.

I'm going to check the discord because slip said he'd probably be doing something

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Power Windows posted:

I remember years ago when this subforum wasn't even a subforum and people were into Rebecca Knox and said she should never go to WWE because it was a divas wasteland. And then she suffered a severe injury and it seemed like that was that.

And then, eventually, Becky Lynch debuts in NXT, mercifully is relieved of a Riverdance gimmick, and the rest is history.

Whether she wins or loses tonight, she's main eventing WrestleMania. Nothing can take that away from her. I'm so glad at what she's accomplished.

Same goes for Kofi.

Also yeah, Becky gotta get hers too. I wish these shows weren't so goddam long because there are absolutely a few manias in the last few years that could have been good to great with better pacing and were instead interminable slogs I would never ever watch again.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Well wouldn't "being subversive" be what Oliver actually advocated - going to the show and hijacking it to send a message? I didn't really agree with that conclusion and would have preferred him actually calling for a boycott (which I know isn't Oliver's style). But it does kind of sound like what you're implying, unless I'm misinterpreting you.

But yeah, its a common and somewhat healthy behavior to push some bad stuff aside so you can maintain some escapism and amusement. I really am saying its natural for WWE fans to go into a defensive stance come WM time. Its also not really a good thing in the grand scheme of things since that's the very natural and human behavior that tends to let evil people like WWE get away with bad things for so long.

no yeah sending a message would be fine but hard to coordinate and yellin real loud on the something awful forums to people that largely agree with you already isnt really like the thing to do. we're a small group, like you can probably recognize every avatar that posts here so like what does it accomplish? thats where the 'what good will it do' thing comes in because people are mostly just thinking within this community, which is completely insignificant. people arent really being defensive, theyre just being honest with their feelings about it.

like if people feel hopeless about it, and you discount them and look down on them for that you're not winning anyone to your side and just pushing people to feel like youre against them despite being on the same side. feeling like something wont matter is normal in this current landscape and not something to look down on. you try to elevate people that feel like that. that's something that is largely escaping the thought processes of many people who want to inspire positive change.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Well wouldn't "being subversive" be what Oliver actually advocated - going to the show and hijacking it to send a message? I didn't really agree with that conclusion and would have preferred him actually calling for a boycott (which I know isn't Oliver's style). But it does kind of sound like what you're implying, unless I'm misinterpreting you.

Daily Show's "style" (and that of all its successors) is to not upset the capitalist gods while throwing shade on dumb politics

Jon Stewart is a union buster and punished his writers who striked in 2007 - I'm sure he's trained his minions to also oppose meaningful demonstration

Telling WWE fans to chant at a sporting event and bring signs when they know WWE will just mute their voices and confiscate the signs fits the never-ending liberal narrative that "better things can't happen" - it's subversive bullshit designed to make you give up and accept capitalism

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

1glitch0 posted:

How many times do you get the... "you know, the first Ultimate Warrior actually died in the 80s..."

Oh TONS of that.

Sometimes I bring out the list of horrible wrestling stories
http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/kotdm15/listsleeze.html

Many people ask about how matches are booked and what not or ask things like "I remember a nazi kicking a baby, is that guy still around"?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Power Windows posted:

Same goes for Kofi.

The last two months of storyline have killed my interest in the main event which wasonce the match I was most excited for. I just hope Kofi doesn't get the Booker Treatment tonight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MotU posted:

no yeah sending a message would be fine but hard to coordinate and yellin real loud on the something awful forums to people that largely agree with you already isnt really like the thing to do. we're a small group, like you can probably recognize every avatar that posts here so like what does it accomplish? thats where the 'what good will it do' thing comes in because people are mostly just thinking within this community, which is completely insignificant. people arent really being defensive, theyre just being honest with their feelings about it.

like if people feel hopeless about it, and you discount them and look down on them for that you're not winning anyone to your side and just pushing people to feel like youre against them despite being on the same side. feeling like something wont matter is normal in this current landscape and not something to look down on. you try to elevate people that feel like that. that's something that is largely escaping the thought processes of many people who want to inspire positive change.

I mean... we know what could potentially make a difference. WWE fans don't want to do that because they're WWE fans. That's a natural and understandable human instinct. People feeling helpless or hopeless is sad and we all experience it somewhere along the line but if that's resulting in them ignoring the bigger issue to focus on criticisms of a messenger then that seems like its actively helping ignore the problem. Even if that isn't the conscious intent.

To be clear, I'm not taking a moral high stand. I'm personally boycotting WWE but there's other aspects of my life where I make moral compromises either knowingly or passively. We're all imperfect people. But we should acknowledge that and not make excuses for it. Because that's how you avoid feeling helpless.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

WWE fans don't want to do that because they're WWE fans.

i mean this is like a bad take. do they do this because theyre WWE fans or because 1) they dont know how 2) they dont know how it will benefit the people they enjoy watching 3) because they tried to do it and it didnt work and dont know where to go from there or any myriad of other reasonings

you just instantly discount them and assume they dont do it because they like WWE more than a positive outcome for the people that expend themselves working for the company. the oliver thing is a start and it got some people talking so instead of like just instantly discounting people maybe actually try to brainstorm and articulate ideas to some who may listen and actually want to act on it, or at the very least try to find ones that might

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MotU posted:

i mean this is like a bad take. do they do this because theyre WWE fans or because 1) they dont know how 2) they dont know how it will benefit the people they enjoy watching 3) because they tried to do it and it didnt work and dont know where to go from there or any myriad of other reasonings

you just instantly discount them and assume they dont do it because they like WWE more than a positive outcome for the people that expend themselves working for the company. the oliver thing is a start and it got some people talking so instead of like just instantly discounting people maybe actually try to brainstorm and articulate ideas to some who may listen and actually want to act on it, or at the very least try to find ones that might

I'm not singling out WWE fans as particularly bad. Either I'm doing a bad job expressing my bigger point or we're being a little sensitive given the context. I'm saying its a natural thing. WWE fans want to ignore the difficult problems of WWE because as you said, they're difficult for us to resolve so trying to really deal with them means a whole deeper level of activism and engagement and PROBABLY means you can't really be a "WWE Fan" in the same way anymore. Same with NFL fans or fans of any morally or ethically compromised thing. WWE fans aren't "special" or "worse" in that way. They're just the topic of conversation.

So I'm not discounting them, I'm just discounting the excuse. Because there is at least a partial approach to "nothing I can do seems to help so I'll just keep giving the company money." Fans just don't want to do that, and I'm saying that's an understandable and human instinct that we all have in some form or another. But we shouldn't make excuses for it or just deflect the anger/frustration out on side stuff like the Oliver criticisms. We're flawed and we should try and be better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

keevo posted:

What are we all eating during Wrestlemania? I'm debating between tacos, pizza, or hot wings right now.
I got two crock pots out for the guests. One with BBQ fried chicken and the other with chili so spicy my guests are going to be mad at me tomorrow.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

keevo posted:

What are we all eating during Wrestlemania? I'm debating between tacos, pizza, or hot wings right now.

Just finished some fajitas, made some baby roasted potatoes sliced in half drizzled some olive oil and salt and pepper on them. Just finished some bacon bits and poured a can of ranch style beans on it and the aroz mexicano is pretty much done.

Homemade sweet iced tea to drink, tequila for when this show inevitably falls apart and I want to play pubg for extra punishment.

Oh and roasting some drummettes and toss them in wing sauce and some kraft original bbq sauce

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

crushed ice topped with crushed doritos powder

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Guys, guys, I was just jesting about John Oliver. Unless one of you is planning on tackling him on the air.

When's WM officially starting?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

iamsosmrt posted:

Guys, guys, I was just jesting about John Oliver. Unless one of you is planning on tackling him on the air.

When's WM officially starting?

7 Eastern. Pre-Show has been going about 80 minutes and they've already had the Cruiserweight Match, the Women's Battle Royal and currently have the Raw Tag titles being defended.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

7 Eastern. Pre-Show has been going about 80 minutes and they've already had the Cruiserweight Match, the Women's Battle Royal and currently have the Raw Tag titles being defended.

Holy crap! I didn't even realize.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

STAC Goat posted:

Holy crap! I didn't even realize.

The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal is about to start!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Fellas, I ended up making carne asada tacos. I am now ready to nap through Wrestlemania.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

keevo posted:

Fellas, I ended up making carne asada tacos. I am now ready to nap through Wrestlemania.
Carne asada tacos best tacos.

*Leslie Nielsen voice*

And I'm not a fella'.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Abroham Lincoln posted:

this is the most powerful image i've ever seen in my life

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
IICONICS, BITCH

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I have a bit of a crush on Peyton Royce so I was happy to read this result. :allears:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have a bit of a crush on Peyton Royce so I was happy to read this result. :allears:
same, she makes me laugh

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Because there were posters here adamant that wouldn't be the case: Per people in the discussion thread, Corbin/Kurt is happening at the moment

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Im glad IIconics won but im pissed so many people are not original IIconics supporters like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/oldwrestlingpic/status/1115102343236702209?s=21