Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Thats not andrew jackson though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Neurolimal posted:

Thats not andrew *johnson though

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Neurolimal posted:

Thats not andrew jackson though

its pretty hilarious that america had its three worst presidents in a span of less than 40 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I have a sinking feeling that, bar (even more) crippling health issues, Hillary Clinton is absolutely going to run again in 2020, and if not she is definitely going to push a sock-puppet candidate for her exact policies. The question is whether the Democrats will sabotage other candidates, as well as if voting Democrat is even still allowed after 2018.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I don't mean to quote mine, but the discussion has gone on a bit and one way or the other we're maybe getting to the point.

Jaxyon posted:

It's a stylistic issue. His policies are already better, but that deosn't win elections.

Okay, cool, but if we're recognizing that then what would you like to see? Right now it seems like the people want to see a frankly too-old white Vermonter with a Brooklyn accent trying his best. It seems like there's better options than that. Can you help me think of some better styles?

Can we take a minute to mark how weird it is the steps I gotta go through to find out your actual ideas?

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey, you don't have PMs so I hope you see this.

I just wanted to say thank you. I did go to the meeting and actually had a good time. I didn't agree with everything they said during it but it made me wanna volunteer and work with them more. Thank you :)

And sorry everyone for the derail. I thought this was the effective Leftism thread.

That's cool! There's lots of crazy people IRL too, but at least there people are bound by a sense of basic socialization. Most of the time. Too Much Online is a problem. I'm glad you had a good time :)

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 20, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

I have a sinking feeling that, bar (even more) crippling health issues, Hillary Clinton is absolutely going to run again in 2020, and if not she is definitely going to push a sock-puppet candidate for her exact policies. The question is whether the Democrats will sabotage other candidates, as well as if voting Democrat is even still allowed after 2018.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a candidate you can declare her sock-puppet.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Everyone is sure Clinton will have a presence--if not run--in 2020, that's why it's funny and also sad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The dems are finally getting their poo poo together:

quote:

“The Democrats,” Vice President Pence said recently, “have already settled on their agenda, and it can be summed up in one word: resist.”

He isn’t the only one with that view of Democrats. In the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll, only 37 percent of Americans think the Democratic Party “stands for something,” while 52 percent say it “just stands against Trump.”

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the House Democrats’ campaign arm, seemed to admit as much two weeks ago when it sent supporters an email with the proposed slogan: “Democrats 2018: Have you seen the other guys?”

On Monday, I am told, congressional Democrats — in the Senate and the House together — will roll out a legislative policy agenda, their de facto 2018 campaign platform. The details, after months of haggling and cat-herding, could yet disappoint, but the broad outlines as described to me are exactly what the doctor ordered.

As important as what’s in it is what’s not. Democrats jettisoned social and foreign policy issues for this exercise, eschewing the identity politics and box-checking that has plagued Democratic campaigns in the past, most recently Hillary Clinton’s. This will be purely an economic message.

They also resisted invitations to steer the party toward the center (as pollster Mark Penn advised) or in a more progressive agenda. This is meant to be a populist manifesto that doesn’t conform to the left/right debate but instead aims to align Democrats with ordinary, middle-class Americans fighting powerful special interests.

Titled “A Better Deal: Better Skills, Better Jobs, Better Wages,” it is expected to have many Democratic staples — tax increases on the rich, affordable college, infrastructure spending, higher wages, job training, paid family leave and the like — and a few new ones.

Hashed out over several months by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (N.Y.) and Sen. Chris Van Hollen (Md.), with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), DCCC Chairman Ben Ray Luján (N.M.), and Reps. Hakeem Jeffries (N.Y.), Cheri Bustos (Ill.) and David Cicilline (R.I.), it will be outlined Monday with a few sample proposals, to be followed in the coming weeks by more proposals, some to be introduced as legislation and some to be offered as Contract With America-style promises that a Democratic Congress would implement.
Schumer told me in December that Democrats would have “five, six sharp-edged [policies] that can be described in five words,” although it sounds as if the plan hasn’t come out quite so lean.

The goal is to avoid repeating Clinton’s problem in 2016. She had so many proposals, and she scratched the itches of so many Democratic constituencies, that she lacked a coherent economic message. The full-throated populist agenda should also make it harder for President Trump to claim that he is the one fighting special interests, which he did to great effect against Clinton.

Democrats have been little but the anti-Trump party lately, successfully fighting his legislative agenda, particularly health care, and raising a ruckus about the Russia scandal and Trump’s other outrages. The danger is that an impression solidifies among voters that the party has nothing else to say.

As if to illustrate the point, 23 liberal House Democrats announced Wednesday morning that they were filing a “resolution of no confidence” in Trump. It contains no fewer than 88 “whereas” clauses (whereas “the embassy of Kuwait held its national day celebration at Trump International,” and whereas “Trump referred to United States Senator Elizabeth Warren as ‘Pocahontas’ ”). The idea might work — if Democrats had a majority and if the United States had a parliamentary system.

A reporter asked Rep. Steve Cohen (Tenn.), sponsor of the no-confidence resolution, if he was focusing too much on Trump over jobs. “Bubble-gum chew and walk at the same time,” he recommended.

Except Democrats haven’t been doing both. Some think they don’t have to, because polls show that voters prefer a Democratic Congress. But as The Post’s Mike DeBonis and Emily Guskin point out, more Republicans and Republican-leaning independents (65 percent) say they will definitely vote next year than Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents (57 percent). To boost Democratic turnout, the party needs to be more than just anti-Trump.

Even if it doesn’t help their electoral prospects, Democrats need a clear agenda so they can govern if they do win. If they win without a sharp agenda, they would end up where congressional Republicans are now: in power but without a popular mandate for their agenda.

On Wednesday, I asked Rep. Linda Sánchez (Calif.), the No. 5 Democrat in the House, about the search for a unified agenda, and she bristled. “We’re not searching for an agenda,” she replied. “Democrats have always known what we stood for.”

They just did a really good job of keeping it under wraps.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy loving poo poo.

Is this real life? Am I dreaming?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

let's see what they actually propose before congratulating them, other than paid family leave I suspect the others will be watered down and uninspiring

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kinda, uh, hoping that's being a bit over-dramatic in saying that the social justice issues have been jettisoned because those are...kind of still important. They can coexist with a heightened economic focus.

Though yeah, in general, this is a big case of "well let's see what they actually put forth."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

let's see what they actually propose before congratulating them, other than paid family leave I suspect the others will be watered down and uninspiring

I'm more shocked that they seem to have finally learned something, anything from 2016. Yea, I know, be cautious about what exactly it is, but I haven't even heard a peep of this type of talk coming from the Dems before now, so I think it's at least a good sign that the party might not be headed into a death spiral.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Malcolm Turnbull?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Even if Hillary died, there is a 100% chance that people in this thread would say she faked it and will spend 2020 secretly pulling the strings of the Dem party behind the scenes just to satisfy her totally real hatred for the left.

In other words, blue dogs.

You fuckers in this thread are so goddamn transparent.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

Even if Hillary died, there is a 100% chance that people in this thread would say she faked it and will spend 2020 secretly pulling the strings of the Dem party behind the scenes just to satisfy her totally real hatred for the left.

don't you have a zuck to suck?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

That sounds like the opposite of blue dogs? What the gently caress are you on about?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's strange how they used having to compromise with Blue Dogs was the excuse for not getting a public option, to sidestep answering whether or not Democratic leaders wanted a public option themselves, and now the answer is "make the party have a greater % of Blue Dogs". People say "You had a supermajority and still couldn't get anything done?" Blue Dogs just make the Democratic Party look more ineffective and more culpable for inaction.

Also, Blue Dogs sided with AT&T's pockets back in 2006, when the Bush administration was arguing that Authorization to use Military Force activated wartime provisions of FISA that state the government can wiretap and bug places without any court oversight as long as one of the parties is on foreign soil.

good

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'll believe it when I actually see it, but I am betting it'll be some more Obama style half-way promises and bluster with no intent to deliver. Big tell will be if the donors from health care and other companies keep donating when the plans are released.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

That sounds like the opposite of blue dogs? What the gently caress are you on about?

Ignoring all social issues like minority rights, women's rights, lgbtq rights, and all the other things racist whites find scary, instead just going purely for economics. That's blue dogs. And spoilers motherfuckers, those voters still will riot if MAH TAXES go towards health spending that would benefit the aforementioned minorities, women, lgbtq, etc. etc. And somehow, telling them how it would benefit them too just somehow doesn't seem to work on them. Must be that economic anxiety.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Ignoring all social issues like minority rights, women's rights, lgbtq rights, and all the other things racist whites find scary, instead just going purely for economics. That's blue dogs. And spoilers motherfuckers, those voters still will riot if MAH TAXES go towards health spending that would benefit the aforementioned minorities, women, lgbtq, etc. etc. And somehow, telling them how it would benefit them too just somehow doesn't seem to work on them. Must be that economic anxiety.

You're delusional.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Its deak, the literal "The only hope for democracy is Mark Zuckerberg"

It took you this long to notice?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I like Zuckerberg for the same reason I like the Star Wars prequels and the Hobbit movies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Famed pushers of leftist economic policies, the Blue Dogs. You know, like Lieberman or Manchin.

:laffo:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
I'll believe it when i see the actual policies they are pushing "Affordable College" could be a scholarship program or something else completely ineffectual for all we know.

I especially don't trust that Nancy "NO SINGLE PAYER" Pelosi has actually wants to push the agenda leftward.

White Rock fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 20, 2017

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I hope this is true but lol at "populist manifesto" and "populist agenda", I guess "having a coherent message" is populist now?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
I would like to believe it but this just sounds like the same old agenda.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

:lol:

they go for conservative economics

tax cuts for the rich and so on. leftists hate the blue dogs more than anyone in the dem party right now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hopefully the 'mustering the blue dogs' was more along the lines of 'This is your only way to not get blown out by Republicans, get with the program or we're all hosed'.

Hopefully.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Can't wait to see their policies to combat childhood poverty through earned income tax credits and address college affordability through loan forgiveness for successful entrepreneurs that write apps to circumvent labor laws.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who knows how good it will be but at least they are aware they need to message on that instead of thinking that Serious and Responsible conservative policies combined with Russia is the way to getting Democrats elected. Obama in 2007 was saying he was going to march with people on strike not saying he was going to look the other way as banks repossessed people's houses since that was the hard sacrifice we (by we I mean everyone not in power) had to make to not let the economy collapse. I can understand the idea of elect-ability over ideologically perfect candidates but when those compromised candidates can't even get their asses into seats then it's time to shake things up in one way or another (lol go further right and yell at third party voters more).

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

WampaLord posted:

He's insane, ignore him

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bernie and Zuck debating is going to be the weirdest loving thing

"I've been standing up for the rights of minorities and the underprivileged for the better part of 40 years"

"...I drank a 40 with some black people once - see I have a photo!"

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EugeneJ posted:

Bernie and Zuck debating is going to be the weirdest loving thing

"I've been standing up for the rights of minorities and the underprivileged for the better part of 40 years"

"...I drank a 40 with some black people once - see I have a photo!"

"Zuck is authentic. I like him. Bernie's been a senator for 30 years and what has he done?"

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
"Zuck created Facebook. Facebook!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They should team up. It'd be like Batman and Robin. Or maybe more Bruce Wayne and Terry McGinnis if he was a badly programmed robot and had all the money.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
They're Zucky & the Bern, they're Zucky & the Bern,
one wants your blood, the other's infirm

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avirosb posted:

They're Zucky & the Bern, they're Zucky & the Bern,
one wants your blood, the other's infirm

One's wife cooks rice, and the other's cooks the books
And if you're not that nice, you'll probably be shook

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

WampaLord posted:

You're delusional.

He's right.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

galenanorth posted:

It's strange how they used having to compromise with Blue Dogs was the excuse for not getting a public option, to sidestep answering whether or not Democratic leaders wanted a public option themselves, and now the answer is "make the party have a greater % of Blue Dogs". People say "You had a supermajority and still couldn't get anything done?" Blue Dogs just make the Democratic Party look more ineffective and more culpable for inaction.

Blue dogs voted for the public option. It was Kennedy's death that lead to the collapse of the public option because 59 votes in the Senate won't pass a bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I'm more shocked that they seem to have finally learned something, anything from 2016. Yea, I know, be cautious about what exactly it is, but I haven't even heard a peep of this type of talk coming from the Dems before now, so I think it's at least a good sign that the party might not be headed into a death spiral.

lol that you think chuck schumer and nancy pelosi did something good

hint: the agenda is going to be garbage and they will never try to stop rampant income inequality

• Locked thread