Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

The entire Total War series sucks rear end with the exception of the Warhammer ones, they barely get a pass because they have skeletons

Total Warhammer 2 is one of the best games ever made, it will forever be disappointing that they dropped the ball so hard with 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The first time I ever ate edibles I ate way too fuckin' much and I pulled my couch up to my desk and played shotgun total war for 8 hours straight and basically had a religious experience where I felt like I was a god commanding my troops. Ever since then weed hasn't been very fun because nothing will ever top that

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

shotgun total war

rednecks fighting over moonshine stills in prohibition Virginia, make it happen Creative Assembly

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

credburn posted:

I just want to say, this guy makes some of the only videos I can watch on YouTube because he is willing to allow there to be a second of dead air and it's not.full.of.sudden.cuts.every.second.god.dammit.

edit: though he still has a few in this video :mad: but they're not egregious.

I will always appreciate Ross for introducing me to Armed & Delirious via his Game Dungeon series, and fellow poster SelenicMartian for showing me the whole hosed-up thing. I think it’s a top 5 most fascinating game, and could have even been a good one with a better translation (requisite unpopular opinion).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

that bitch Aeris had it coming

holy poo poo? Lowtax is alive again.
Always knew he was like Jesus

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

rednecks fighting over moonshine stills in prohibition Virginia, make it happen Creative Assembly

I would play the hell out of this. Also add skeletons, just because

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

*sacks Carthage 10 turns in*

GAME IS SO loving SLOW

*takes over half of Europe with your starter army*

JESUS CHRIST WON'T SOMETHING HAPPEN

Total War games are just RTS games with a very light 4X-style meta layer. If you play Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, it's the same vibe. You're not supposed to give a gently caress about the meta layer, but it does help you frame the actual game which is an RTS. The good Total War games even have monsters and magic-- it rules. Historical Total War games are a hard sell.

Me trying to defend the quality of the Total War series: "13 of the 16 games in the main series are a hard sell, although I think Total War: Pharaoh has the same vibe as a PC game from 20 years ago"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The good Total Wars are:
  • Rome (2004)
  • Warhammer 2

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I was playing Warhammer 2 once and had a notebook out, keeping track of my strategies and next-10-turn goals, when I realized that it felt like work much more than a game. I haven’t played it since.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I was playing Warhammer 2 once and had a notebook out, keeping track of my strategies and next-10-turn goals

lol why

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cuz it's a dense game where it's easy to get lost in the details of microing two hard fights and forgetting that you weren't suppose to spend gold reinforcing since you where saving up for something.

What I'm curious about is why is TWW2 the good one and not TWW3? Assuming you have infinite money, that is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TWW3 took a huge step backwards by having fewer skeletons as a percentage of the overall game world

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

Me trying to defend the quality of the Total War series: "13 of the 16 games in the main series are a hard sell, although I think Total War: Pharaoh has the same vibe as a PC game from 20 years ago"

Don’t play historical total war games unless you’re a history nerd, they’re just not fun. The Warhammer games are good.

Dark Crusade/Soulstorm is one of the only RTS games with a sandbox meta map, that’s the vibe that total war replicates.

I’m not gonna defend the quality of Total War games they mostly suck and CA is really bad at making games, but they’re the only notable RTS game in their niche.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't know poo poo about history but I really enjoyed Medieval 2 :shrug:

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Yeah was gonna say medieval 2 is legit a good game.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

TWW3 took a huge step backwards by having fewer skeletons as a percentage of the overall game world

Seems like the simple solution would be to patch in more skeletons.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

When the skeletons die they should make the little cartoon tinkly noise like in OG rise of the triad, regardless of the genre or tone of the game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked Shogun 2 and Warhammer 2

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think he has much of a case for forcing basic decency from game publishers, but I wish him the best of luck because because we'll all be better off if it works.

lol, gamers who want a capitalism carve-out for video games is funny poo poo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It'd be nice if games had some originality in regards to theming (well I suppose in regards to everything really) once in awhile.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Medieval 2 is my most played game on Steam, but i like Shogun 2 as well. I haven’t really liked any of them since Shogun 2. And, yeah, i had a notebook for playing WH2 for the reason the above poster said. There are a lot of moving pieces to your long term strategy and its easy to get distracted and spend gold wrong and really screw yourself. Way moreso than any other TW game. But all this kind of thing is why it felt like work and I stopped playing it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Napoleon is the best because it lets me fix history

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quote-Unquote posted:

When the skeletons die they should make the little cartoon tinkly noise like in OG rise of the triad, regardless of the genre or tone of the game

You should be given the option to deploy a pile of inconspicuous barrels to the battlefield

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
A Total War game where you can play as various video game franchises

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After playing crisis core and trying to figure out who some of these ancillary characters are and seeing all the FF7 tie in games (and movie) I have come to the conclusion that FF7series is the Kingdom Hearts of something. Final Fantasy games, I guess.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Waltzing Along posted:

After playing crisis core...

Why would you do this to yourself? Everything I hear or see about this game, or the FF7 "extended universe" in general, tells me to stay the gently caress away.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

After playing crisis core and trying to figure out who some of these ancillary characters are and seeing all the FF7 tie in games (and movie) I have come to the conclusion that FF7series is the Kingdom Hearts of something. Final Fantasy games, I guess.

You have to play the japanese-exclusive cellphone game to get the full story.

Are you even a fan?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
What was the total war game with pigs that you could set on fire and naked men? And you could set up a pitched battle of like 10,000 flaming pigs vs 10,000 naked men fighting across a bridge?

That was the good one.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FF7 was a video game almost 30 years ago.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When are we going to get a game based on The Spirits Within? Gamers rise up

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I never watched The Spirits Within but I did borrow the DVD from a schoolmate, my dad watched and it and called it crap and I respect that because my dad had great taste in films. His favourite ever was Platoon and he introduced me to everything from The Shining to Terminator 2

I did however think that Advent Children was pretty decent

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I was so excited to see it in the theater but you know what your dad is right. It is crap

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It looked kind of crap but I went to theaters hoping to be surprised. I wasn't.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I was basically certain it would be amazing because I loved the stories in FF and was a sucker for any prerendered CG cutscene back then, but I saw it in the theater with a friend and wow it sucked. My friend was mad that I dragged him to it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It was a strange artistic choice for the normally vibrant Final Fantasy series to set the entire move inside a bland industrial building and barren Mars like planet featuring a cast mostly wearing gray jumpsuits. I guess it cut down on render time.

Do they ever do callbacks to it? Can I meet up with Dr Aki Ross in Kingdom Hearts or FF14? Something for the real hardcore fans.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Waltzing Along posted:

That really clicked for me when all the guys in black hooded robes showed up

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I don't care what anyone says, that's one of the best sci-fi films ever made

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's my mom's favorite film

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Nice Van My Man posted:

It was a strange artistic choice for the normally vibrant Final Fantasy series to set the entire move inside a bland industrial building and barren Mars like planet featuring a cast mostly wearing gray jumpsuits. I guess it cut down on render time.

Pretty sure the same thing happened to John Carpenter, who made lots of vibrant, exciting and tense films and then made Ghosts of Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think ghosts of Mars was one of the first movies I saw that were so bad I couldn't just forget about it, I kept thinking about it afterwards and remember it more than most good movies I saw that year.