Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Slavvy posted:

The headlight is exactly the same. The carbon fiber eyebrows are to cover the nissan logo cast into the lens.

Also, punching 300zx into google only gets you one un-riced result, and it's the wikipedia picture.

If that's the picture, that's not the factory front fascia. It's not ricer-bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrChips posted:

Oh god did he just prop that poor engine with the starter? :gonk:

Inertial starter, it's supposed to work like that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KozmoNaut posted:

Inertial starter, it's supposed to work like that.

I was referring to how he used the starter to turn the engine over through four or five blades before he started it - an action that should be done very carefully by hand. If that engine had sat for more than 30 minutes (or was fully cold), that's a good way to bend a rod if/when the piston tries to compress any fuel or oil that accumulated in the combustion chamber.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Motronic posted:

Yeah, it's a shame they stopped buying tail lights from Volvo for the 968s.
What volvo used those lights? Wouldn't mind a set of all red ones.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slavvy posted:

Try working on one, your opinion will rectify itself nicely.

I'm just amused that he used z32 and "wish for space" in the same sentence.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Some kid in Shanghai's gonna have a nice thing to take to show and tell.

Looks like that Veyron that's done up to look like porcelain.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Didn't that thing have like actual porcelain in the paint?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The cutest little car show ever :neckbeard:

http://news.drom.ru/27750.html

Makes me sad that i would probably never fit in anything there.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

VikingSkull posted:

Didn't that thing have like actual porcelain in the paint?

Yes. It is amazing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've painted off and on for like 15 years and have no idea how the gently caress they did that.

e- holy gently caress I'm old, more like 20 years :negative:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Preoptopus posted:

Yes. It is amazing.

I loved the Veyron before, and now I hate my life even more for not being born to gently caress loads of money.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Preoptopus posted:

Yes. It is amazing.

I absofuckinglutely would not park that hard against a curb with that car.

:colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine it following an unsecured gravel truck for some inexplicable reason

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

G-Mach posted:

I think only the 3000GT VR4s are worse to work on out of all the 90s japanese supercars.

OEM FD3S Vacuum hose land is up there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Preoptopus posted:

Yes. It is amazing.

The markings make it look like it's driving through a tunnel and you're seeing the patterns of the lights as they reflect off the paint.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Octopus Magic posted:

OEM FD3S Vacuum hose land is up there.

Interesting, electronically controlled EGR?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Preoptopus posted:

Interesting, electronically controlled EGR?

not electronic, dark majiks

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrChips posted:

I was referring to how he used the starter to turn the engine over through four or five blades before he started it - an action that should be done very carefully by hand. If that engine had sat for more than 30 minutes (or was fully cold), that's a good way to bend a rod if/when the piston tries to compress any fuel or oil that accumulated in the combustion chamber.

That's how big radials work. Too big to do it by hand (like kickstarting a literbike), pump the oil out with the starter with magnetos off, then turn on the spark and set the exhausts on fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F23RciUwDE

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Neptr posted:

If that's the picture, that's not the factory front fascia. It's not ricer-bad though.

I could be wrong, but I believe that's the '99 spec JDM front bumper cover.

Slavvy posted:

Try working on one, your opinion will rectify itself nicely.

I helped Scrodes change the timing belt on his old (now Tondef's) Z31 years ago. What an utter pain in the oval office that was. Several years after that, one night when I was feeling particularly generous, we changed the under-drive pulley on his Z32. That's when I started paying someone else to work on my cars.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Well this sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfS8iz2NaLE

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Both at fault, glad nobody seemed hurt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

front wing flexing posted:

Both at fault, glad nobody seemed hurt.
It's the UK, it'll be classed as entirely the fault of the driver pulling out onto the main road.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

How?

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.

I'm guessing for crossing over the line? Failure to Yield?

edit: Also, how is this Awesome and not Terrible?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They both did something wrong and ticketable that directly lead to the accident. Failure to yeild for the mazda, speeding for the lambo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Aventador had right (left?) of way. Unless there were traffic lights, traffic turning right always has to give way.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Collateral Damage posted:

The Aventador had right (left?) of way. Unless there were traffic lights, traffic turning right always has to give way.

Speeding like a motherfucker is usually a contributing factor to fault in an accident. In some places, even 1% fault makes it an insurance 50/50 split (I know nothing of how UK insurance works though).

Edit: also, when he hit he was already on the brakes, you can hear the revs drop off significantly. So he was going so fast that the brakes only slowed him down to the speed of the impact. Also, it's looks like the speed limit on the street is only 20 mph.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 1, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's irrelevant, he had right of way, regardless of whether he was speeding, and he certainly didn't seem to be speeding by enough for it to be a factor.

Supercars on YouTube do bring out all the miserable twats though:

quote:

Personally i think investing that much money in a car is just disgusting. We really are filthy rich aren't we. Can you imagine what this guys could have done with the money he would have left over if he had bought a cheap car. He could have helped so many people and influenced many peoples lives.
:jerkbag:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

(I know nothing of how UK insurance works though).

Some UK insurance companies have been known to increase people's rates if they fit winter tires on aftermarket wheels (even steelies), because they're then driving "a modified car".

If you don't declare any and all modifications and diversions from standard spec, they will deny coverage in the event of an accident.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

InitialDave posted:

Supercars on YouTube do bring out all the miserable twats though:

:jerkbag:

That gets you upset? I mean I like seeing supercars and I have no clue how that guy made his money so I'm not gonna knock him, but people imagining the good that could be done with the money spent on a supercar seems like the least offensive objection to wealth I've seen on youtube. It's not like he accused him of driving a fast car because he has a small dick or something. I'm sure people that rich won't get their ego bruised by hippies on youtube.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

InitialDave posted:

It's irrelevant, he had right of way, regardless of whether he was speeding, and he certainly didn't seem to be speeding by enough for it to be a factor.

It's not irrelevant. Maybe, irrelevant for the sake of conversation and debate but not for police reports and insurance claims. I'm not saying the mazda wasn't mostly at fault, it clearly was, I'm saying that the lambo driver contributed as well and if he was going the speed limit or not that much above (again, the speed limit is 20 on that street) he would've avoided any incursions to that lane. Again, I'm not familiar at all with UK insurance but in my state in the US that lambos speed would be a mitigating factor to assigning all fault on that of the car.

KozmoNaut posted:

Some UK insurance companies have been known to increase people's rates if they fit winter tires on aftermarket wheels (even steelies), because they're then driving "a modified car".

If you don't declare any and all modifications and diversions from standard spec, they will deny coverage in the event of an accident.

That's quite strict compared to most of the US. Wow.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Regardless of police report, since the mazda probably has the cheapest insurance they could get from a comparison site and a stuffed meerkat toy, and the lambo probably has the most bespoke for rich people it'll never be your problem insurance (and a stuffed meerkat toy), it'll end up being the mazda driver's fault in the end.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Linedance posted:

Regardless of police report, since the mazda probably has the cheapest insurance they could get from a comparison site and a stuffed meerkat toy, and the lambo probably has the most bespoke for rich people it'll never be your problem insurance (and a stuffed meerkat toy), it'll end up being the mazda driver's fault in the end.

I had no idea why you mentioned a meerkat so I had to look it up. What the hell is up with insurance mascots? Stateside we have the GEICO Gecko who for some reason is British, and the British have a meerkat which is Russian? Do people just not trust a mascot if its local?

Edit: forgot this was the awesome poo poo thread, here:
Out with the old

In with the new

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2014

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't want anything Russian anywhere near my auto insurance.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

davebo posted:

I had no idea why you mentioned a meerkat so I had to look it up. What the hell is up with insurance mascots? Stateside we have the GEICO Gecko who for some reason is British, and the British have a meerkat which is Russian? Do people just not trust a mascot if its local?

Edit: forgot this was the awesome poo poo thread, here:
Out with the old

In with the new

So awesome. Are they going to be running the c7r at lemans do you know?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Linedance posted:

So awesome. Are they going to be running the c7r at lemans do you know?

Yeah there'll be two C7's with Gavin and Magnussen leading like normal. The Vipers dropped out to focus on the American races though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

davebo posted:

I think the Gecko is an Aussie...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I think the Gecko is an Aussie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74DroB-dwM&t=13s

And to keep this post in line, have some Roadkill. I love this truck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

davebo posted:

That gets you upset?
Random trolls/idiots actually annoy me a lot less than people who sincerely believe that people with more money than them should be Putting It To Good Use For The Greater Good or whatever.

It's not irrelevant. Maybe, irrelevant for the sake of conversation and debate but not for police reports and insurance claims.
It's irrelevant for the purposes of blame in the sense of an insurance claim, which is not the same as the moral right of the situation or whether or not the Lambo driver could be ticketed.

This is the UK, not the US, not Europe, not somewhere else. That's how the game's played here. Hit a pedestrian/cyclist who was doing something so astoundingly stupid as to almost be called suicide? Good luck getting out of the blame.

I had a friend hit by someone going too fast on a wet road as he was coming out a driveway, and it was his fault - right of way trumps minor infractions/being a knob. Also, what Linedance said.

davebo posted:

the British have a meerkat which is Russian? Do people just not trust a mascot if its local?
It originated as a gag about people looking for the insurance search site Compare The Market ending up by mistake on Compare The Meerkat, with the website's owner (the aforementioned well-spoken critter) being irritated by it and producing "his" adverts to educate people.

Simples!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

That's quite strict compared to most of the US. Wow.

Much like all laws in the US, lobbyists are a bitch. SEMA isn't just a car show.