Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Did Starmer call for a ceasefire at some scotlab event? If so he'll have the opposite position within 48 hours when he encounters the English media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

You could make an argument of magnitude between sustained hostility and momentary instances of unkindness, but the issue there is that what I experienced was consistent momentary unkindness from everyone around me, which builds an atmosphere of sustained hostility.

But the accusations weren’t about “everyone around [the person]”. Just one specific user

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
look since i accidentally caused all this drama by saying i post less in a thread because i find a couple of other posters and an IK a bit lovely, it behooves me to say LOL :)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

crispix posted:

look since i accidentally caused all this drama by saying i post less in a thread because i find a couple of other posters and an IK a bit lovely, it behooves me to say LOL :)

I agree with you. the previous idiot king was much better.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you high strung bastards are all right!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

tbh I stopped reading that thread too but it was only because nothing in it was ever interesting ever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

But the accusations weren’t about “everyone around [the person]”. Just one specific user

The suggestion was that reading someone saying something lovely about you could be a remarkably unpleasant experience if you are already having a difficult time of things. It did not in any way suggest that a single post in isolation would make somebody kill themselves and you should read it again if you think that's what it said. It explicitly acknowledges other contributing factors and I think additionally, that it is a sign of a developed sense of empathy that somebody would feel conflicted witnessing someone being lovely towards someone else who then went on to take their own life. That's a very normal and good thing to feel. It's the sort of thing that should give anybody pause.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How The gently caress Is Cyberbullying Real

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

crispix posted:

They certainly managed to prove you wrong, didn't they?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

They certainly managed to prove you wrong, didn't they?

How so?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

This is an insanely lovely post btw. If someone is feeling suicidally depressed some rando internet post is not going to make a difference one way or the other. Don’t be a jackass
Just since you chose to drag this back up (and in such a hyperbolic way as well!), I've tried a few times now to word a good reply about how the quote you're criticising is wondering about the effect that reading those posts would have on someone in a fragile mental state, and how even if none of those things caused a suicide, it's still lovely to say those things to someone who's open about how bad their mental health is.

Your reasoning seems to be that if it didn't tip them over the edge, it's an unreasonable thing to be concerned or sad about. Can we at least agree that it very much is, and it's acceptable to say 'hey I wonder if that affected that person more' without it turning into accusations of accusations of murder?

Yeah I'll admit I hosed up in my wording because I made an assumption. But it bothers me to see an appeal to empathy like that treat with such open disdain. And it's deeply weird to use such hyperbolic language as 'jackass' and 'insanely lovely post' over someone having the audacity to be empathetic over a sad situation.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

oh ok fair enough

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Personally, random internet posts have occasionally had a rather heavy impact on my mental health and this is a strange attitude to take.

That one line post about the toddler thing from earlier today messed me up for about half an hour, absolutely horrible

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Escobarbarian posted:

tbh I stopped reading that thread too but it was only because nothing in it was ever interesting ever

If it helps I recently joined that thread and started complaining about the price of croissants

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I don't mind it if people get mad at me on here, it's just nice to be noticed :shobon:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chubby Henparty posted:

That one line post about the toddler thing from earlier today messed me up for about half an hour, absolutely horrible

The news story about that made me cry when I saw it channel 4 news a few weeks ago, not least because I have a toddler the same age :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Microplastics posted:

The news story about that made me cry when I saw it channel 4 news a few weeks ago, not least because I have a toddler the same age :(

you'd already had to deal with the whole croissants thing too

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Microplastics posted:

If it helps I recently joined that thread and started complaining about the price of croissants

At last a cause people can get behind to bring about real change.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the simplest solution is to just not make nasty posts

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Chubby Henparty posted:

It messes me up a little bit every day because i can't stop thinking about it and how my son would do the exact same thing if it happened to us.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just since you chose to drag this back up (and in such a hyperbolic way as well!), I've tried a few times now to word a good reply about how the quote you're criticising is wondering about the effect that reading those posts would have on someone in a fragile mental state, and how even if none of those things caused a suicide, it's still lovely to say those things to someone who's open about how bad their mental health is.

Your reasoning seems to be that if it didn't tip them over the edge, it's an unreasonable thing to be concerned or sad about. Can we at least agree that it very much is, and it's acceptable to say 'hey I wonder if that affected that person more' without it turning into accusations of accusations of murder?

Yeah I'll admit I hosed up in my wording because I made an assumption. But it bothers me to see an appeal to empathy like that treat with such open disdain. And it's deeply weird to use such hyperbolic language as 'jackass' and 'insanely lovely post' over someone having the audacity to be empathetic over a sad situation.

I truly believe that an individual’s suicidal ideation goes so much further than someone making a handful of posts being amused by someone’s privilege. Of course I am only one person but having felt those thoughts myself I cannot comprehend some rando on SA affecting them one way or the other, regardless of the person’s self-esteem at the time, and I truly think making a post suggesting it could is gross. But hey, the person who made the initial post also feels the same way, so

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Lt. Danger posted:

the simplest solution is to just not make nasty posts

Ok so, to talk about something definitely not nasty at all (hi everyone I mostly lurk but sometimes ask stupid question, what's up):

I read some article about the leasehold system in the UK recently and that poo poo is bleakly hilarious. However, the government has solemnly promised to actually do something about it to make things better. Obviously this will never happen, because have you like, seen this government... or will it?

Is there any news about the leasehold reform? Apparently 1st Feb was some kind of deadline for the latest info, though I couldn't actually find this latest info anywhere. I guess the government just did gently caress all and skipped the info and the media don't give a poo poo?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
announcement on what the reform bill will look like is 'expected' next month, apparently (in the final section of this article)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/top-london-boys-school-refuses-talk-by-former-student-israeli-government-spokesman-eylon-levy/

quote:

Top London boys’ school says no to talk by former pupil, Israeli spokesman Eylon Levy
UCS in Hampstead said: "On this occasion, we declined the kind offer from Mr Levy to speak with the current pupils."

Tasked with encouraging financial support and philanthropy for the school, Pickering, who spent a decade as a fundraiser at the University of Reading, thanked Levy for his offer, but wrote that “we are unfortunately unable to accept.

“Upon seeking advice on how best to support all pupils at UCS, the School has taken a decision not to provide a platform for discussing or fundraising for causes directly involved with the current conflict.”

He added: “We have been clear in our condemnation of the terrorist atrocities committed by Hamas, and neither antisemitism nor Islamophobia have any place at UCS.

“We are aware that many in our community have been directly impacted by the conflict and we endeavour to support them as appropriate.”

Levy adds that it was at UCS that he learned to “cut his teeth”, “think critically” and “think on my feet.” He added that it saddened him that those are “no longer the values or legacy with which UCS wants to be identified.”

He concludes by saying that “never in twenty years as a UCS student and then an Old Gower did I imagine I would be no-platformed by the school I loved so much. I kindly ask you to reconsider.”

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

While Keith called for a ceasefire in Scotland today, he happened to meet with Blinken last night while he was on his pro-genocide world tour
https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1758963219752743192

e: Both are (ex?) members of the Trilateral Commission
https://declassifieduk.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/PDF1_compressed.pdf

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 18, 2024

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I bet America says every relationship is special and we're just the idiots who believe it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Azza Bamboo posted:

I bet America says every relationship is special and we're just the idiots who believe it.

no we promise ur v special 2 me bb

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's rare to get such a strong combination of the "I have been cancelled" and "I'm not mad, you're mad" memes.
Kudos, also, for playing the "I have been cancelled" card when you're literally a spokesperson for a government. That man has gumption.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm not worried about dogs, I'm more concerned about ferrets. I've just been out for a walk, and came across an escaped ferret. Little poo poo bit the hell out of me when I picked it up. Had to walk home holding it behind the head in a deathgrip to stop it from having another chew. The little twat was practically red by the time I got it home.

surprised it didn't just ooze between your fingers, that's generally how ferret anatomy works

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Azza Bamboo posted:

It was special, 80 years ago when we still had an empire.....

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jaete posted:

Ok so, to talk about something definitely not nasty at all (hi everyone I mostly lurk but sometimes ask stupid question, what's up):

I read some article about the leasehold system in the UK recently and that poo poo is bleakly hilarious. However, the government has solemnly promised to actually do something about it to make things better. Obviously this will never happen, because have you like, seen this government... or will it?

Is there any news about the leasehold reform? Apparently 1st Feb was some kind of deadline for the latest info, though I couldn't actually find this latest info anywhere. I guess the government just did gently caress all and skipped the info and the media don't give a poo poo?

I heard it got watered down to being effectively meaningless but I can't remember where I heard that so I'll be interested to see what it actually says.

Just had an offer accepted on a house yesterday and one of my red lines in the whole house hunting process was "no leaseholds".

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
You basically can't be in Israeli government without having an enormous reserve of bald-faced brazenness. Israeli politicians are the smuggest pieces of poo poo on earth.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

jaete posted:

Wait until you read about rentcharges, although the government did at least ban new ones in 1977. My friend has one on his house and it’s a nightmare.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Wait until you read about rentcharges, although the government did at least ban new ones in 1977. My friend has one on his house and it’s a nightmare.

A friend of mine has extra insurance in case the local parish ever tries to invoke it's right to make people pay for church repairs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angrymog posted:

A friend of mine has extra insurance in case the local parish ever tries to invoke it's right to make people pay for church repairs.

I took out that. It was a one off £32 I think when I bought my flat.

Unrelated: the SA phone app had signed me out this morning. Never happened before I was wondering why?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 19, 2024

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The sign in cookie is good for a year from what I remember

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Just had an offer accepted on a house yesterday and one of my red lines in the whole house hunting process was "no leaseholds".

Enjoy mulling over 'chancel insurance'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If they're going to make ridiculous demands then the best option is to make equally ridiculous counterclaims, like that you will be fully happy to give all money for repairs to the local Methodist chapel because you don't recognize the legitimacy of the Anglican church.

If they press it further then start accusing them of blasphemy and orangery.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

If they're going to make ridiculous demands then the best option is to make equally ridiculous counterclaims, like that you will be fully happy to give all money for repairs to the local Methodist chapel because you don't recognize the legitimacy of the Anglican church.

If they press it further then start accusing them of blasphemy and orangery.

One of the houses we viewed had an orangery which was quite nice. However it was also riddled with asbestos and very obviously a place an eccentric had lived in for their entire life and then died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

DWP would disagree

Department of Work and Predators.