Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/Hurls floppy-brimmed leather hat to the ground and stamps on it like an Old West prospector

Dagbladet!

Translation (of the tweet which didn't show up)

For et shitshow
aarets eurovision har gaatt til helvete.
Det er foerst og fremst EBU sin feil.

What a shitshow
This year's Eurovision has gone to hell.
It is primarily the EBU's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I want Ireland to win as they are the anti-isreal.

Then I watched their entry and I want them to win more.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

notaspy posted:

I want Ireland to win as they are the anti-isreal.

Then I watched their entry and I want them to win more.

Yeah I really liked that. And the Swiss lad

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/eurovisiontom/status/1789379487445971352?s=46

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I really liked that. And the Swiss lad

I'm not watching, I just looked it up for lols.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Translation (of the tweet which didn't show up)

For et shitshow
aarets eurovision har gaatt til helvete.
Det er foerst og fremst EBU sin feil.

What a shitshow
This year's Eurovision has gone to hell.
It is primarily the EBU's fault.

"First and foremost"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

"First and foremost"

Yes - I just pasted the google translate.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes - I just pasted the google translate.

Living in Denmark helps

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

You guys should stop making fun of Dutch being ridiculous and get outside for a game of Honkball or something.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Huh I guess that's where Nookie comes from

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Glad I went with a principled boycott of the Eurovision cause the power on our street is gone now anyway, that would have been annoying. Turns out we hebben een serieus probleem

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The power is out? I wonder if that's anything to do with the solar storm :ohdear:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I was thinking maybe someone sabotaged the substation to knock out some local light pollution. No aurora borealis to be seen tho, either localised entirely in my kitchen or iutside

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apparently you can vote 20 times from the same gadget - what a ridiculous "contest".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
They don't even use true Proportional Representation.
What kind of sham voting system is this?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

eden golan, welcome to the labour party

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Look we've just had this debate about taking the piss out of various Germanic languages, so let's please not say obviously false and ridiculous things like

Rust Martialis posted:

Living in Denmark helps

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We gave douze points to Israel lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rarity posted:

We gave douze points to Israel lol

Oh my, :lmao:.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol UK was the only country to receive 0 pts in the public vote. Poor old Olly, I thought he was alright.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean, language is inherently ridiculous anyway. loving verbs, adverbs, transitive and intransitive or subjunctive, linking, auxiliary. The perfect progressive is not in fact conditional on an indicative imperative but the present participle can definitely be accused of doing your head in.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Glad the Swiss kid with the nonbinary pride flag and the adorable shoes won it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Perfect Element posted:

Lol UK was the only country to receive 0 pts in the public vote. Poor old Olly, I thought he was alright.

It was the Labour Friends of Israel tweet what won it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Israel came pretty close second.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

?

They came 5th according to google

Still way too high lol what the gently caress

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

They were middle of the pack on the jury voting. picked up a lot in the public votes. Not enough though, they were in fifth and it wasn't particularly close.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Israel came pretty close second.

Well when you've got the likes of Pollard submitting 20 votes, Andrew 'Rugtop' Neill submitting 30 votes etc, not that surprising.

Switzerland wins the Eurovision song contest – summary

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...inalSwitzerland has won the Eurovision song contest with a song called The Code by non-binary singer Nemo

Croatia finished second with Baby Lasagna’s much-fancied Rim Tim Tagi Dim
A huge public vote lifted Israel’s entry into fifth place despite low jury scores after a Eurovision week where protesters in Malmö had demonstrated against the country’s participation during the conflict in Gaza
The UK’s Olly Alexander finished in 18th place, amassing 46 points from jury votes, but nothing from the public
Ukraine finished third, with France fourth. Ireland’s Bambie Thug, who describes their genre as “Ouija-pop”, came sixth
One of the favourites, Joost Klein of the Netherlands, did not appear in the final after being disqualified after organisers said he was involved in an incident involving a female member of the production crew before the final rehearsals

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/live/2024/may/11/eurovision-2024-final-song-contest-live

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ireland gave 10 to Israel. Lol and loving lmao. Not a loving chance that is legit

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Is there like, an actual legit chance that Eurovision voting is and has always been a sham?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

chatting to my ma this week, she liked the song but rather disliked the overtly sexual themes for what she considers a family-friendly competition, a complaint she made about several of the other performances

do feel bad for olly that he got wrecked in this regard

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mebh posted:

Is there like, an actual legit chance that Eurovision voting is and has always been a sham?

is this a serious question?

because lmao Eurovision has basically always been a loving sham

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I dunno, there's a "sham" and there's tinfoil hat definitely a sham but not really, because people don't actually understand demographics or numbers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If Eurovision was truly a sham how did that one UK guy come second a couple of years ago instead of right around the bottom where we’re supposed to finish

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

chatting to my ma this week, she liked the song but rather disliked the overtly sexual themes for what she considers a family-friendly competition
The singers of 'my ding dang dong' would never have stood for that kind of filth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNet0NF2DE

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

It has always been political - right back to the seventies.
See which countries vote for each other, don't vote for others, the various groups.
Rarely to do with the quality of the song.
Then of course you have the countries that really don't want to win because they can't afford to host the contest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's just not Eurovision if Greece don't give Cyprus 12 points

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah, there's political BS voting and judges being lovely and the votes actually being rigged.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The singers of 'my ding dang dong' would never have stood for that kind of filth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNet0NF2DE

Being fair to my dear ma, she has a point that the dudes' buttcheeks here are a little more than just a double entendre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUa9TMRzmlI

I was also being a classic gen-Y and giving her a "you're just a prude, ma" face the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Here's a wiki on a few of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_controversies_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest

Thought that ding dang dong thing was My Ding-a-Ling for a moment - anyone else remember it getting banned by the BBC?

Ed: I mean the Chuck Berry My Ding-a-Ling song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBxlsi5SYkg

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 12, 2024