Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Also getting Mountains of Madness vibes from that. Entombed under the Antarctic ice, scared the crap out of the people whose business is studying stuff like this, and by the sounds of it may have driven the head scientist mad.

I certainly hope the lead scientist wasn't driven mad because is the same lady from G'14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't The Gunslinger get completely re-written at one point? Also isn't King really picky about how his work gets adapted because of all the poo poo Stanley Kubrick pulled while filming The Shining?

As I understand it, Jack in The Shining is a bit autobiographical and King was a little miffed that Kubrick basically removed the nuance that he's trying to be good even if he's a selfish rear end in a top hat. Not that there isn't nuance in the portrayal, just that he took it a little personal?
I don't know if this is more gobbledygook.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I certainly hope the lead scientist wasn't driven mad because is the same lady from G'14.

This suddenly has given me visions of Sally Hawkins playing her character as Linda Hamilton in T2 and I never knew I wanted a performance so badly

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If someone began claiming that tiny Japanese ladies in fairy costumes were speaking to them, especially if they were a little mentally off to begin with and there was some level of ambiguity throughout the movie, then I think that would be okay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh, she had a name? I genuinely didn't notice her or Soldier Dude's Wife getting names.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Firstborn posted:

As I understand it, Jack in The Shining is a bit autobiographical and King was a little miffed that Kubrick basically removed the nuance that he's trying to be good even if he's a selfish rear end in a top hat. Not that there isn't nuance in the portrayal, just that he took it a little personal?
I don't know if this is more gobbledygook.
He also didn't like that Shelley Duvall's main purpose was to scream a lot. Kubrick's direction was probably a big contributor to her current mental state.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gaunab posted:

I saw Kuso last night. It was a lot of shock gross outs and weird stuff. It's one of those movies where you feel embarrassed for the actors involved.

I went to a Flying Lotus show in June and it was great, he was promoting the movie hard though. But I think I'm interested in it because it reminds me of the Greasy Strangler more than anything else.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So this suit by Stallone might finally open up whatever the gently caress Hwood calls their accounting

quote:

According to The Hollywood Reporter, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge rejected the studio's bid to throw out breach of contract and fraud claims.

The actor is also being permitted to bring a potentially big claim that Warner's accounting practices are likely to deceive the public including others in Hollywood with profit participation agreements.

Through his loan-out company Rogue Marble, Stallone filed his lawsuit in April.

The complaint noted, "The motion picture studios are notoriously greedy. This one involves outright and obviously intentional dishonesty perpetrated against an international iconic talent. Here, WB decided it just wasn't going to account to Rogue Marble on the film. WB just sat on the money owed to Rogue Marble for years and told itself, without any justification, that Rogue Marble was not owed any profits."

According to the lawsuit, Warner Bros. initially asserted that nearly 67 million USD was unrecouped on 'Demolition Man' and therefore, nothing was owed to Stallone, who was to get 15 to 20 per cent of defined profits on the film.

After being challenged, the studio sent Stallone a check for 2.82 million USD, but the actor wasn't satisfied.

What makes Stallone's case provocative besides an A-list actor suing the same studio that distributed 2015's 'Creed,' which earned Stallone an Oscar nomination, is a claim of unfair business practices.

quote:

Stallone demanded injunctive relief in the form of "a full accounting, an explanation of how this practice came to be, interest, damages, and an end to this practice for all talent who expect to be paid by WB for the fruits of their labour."

http://www.asianage.com/entertainme...an-profits.html

Lol at this being about Demolition Man, just lol.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The shells weren't enough compensation?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Somehow it feels appropriate it's on Demolition Man. Go Stallone! Hopefully it doesn't kill his career.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's like seventy years old and rich, he doesn't need a career. He's doing this for future and present actors everywhere.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Also they'll settle to keep that poo poo secret, they always do

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

got any sevens posted:

If he was truly doing it for the money, maybe. But Stallone isn't hurting for money. I don't he'd settle for the true purpose is to expose lovely Hollywood accounting practices.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

surely he has enough money to keep his family rich forever. unfortunately that includes his dickhead brother.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's wrong with Frank Stallone?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nothing, he just has a dick for a head ever since that accident

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he endorsed an energy drink that was basically a pyramid scheme and is gaga for Trump.

edit: energy drink was Seagal, sorry.

well why not fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 7, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh. Gross.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Looks like they already tried that informally (cutting Stallone a check for 2.5 million) and he's like "Nah."

Maybe they'll find the right price, but for the moment I'm interested in where this goes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

he endorsed an energy drink that was basically a pyramid scheme and is gaga for Trump.

edit: energy drink was Seagal, sorry.

Yeah, Frank Stallone endorsing an energy doesn't seem like it would work, then again it can't be any better for a lethargic, lazy rear end like Steven Seagal selling you an "energy" drink.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know how you mix up Stallone and Seagal.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus endorsing a lovely energy drink wouldn't even make the top ten of awful things about Seagal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Being so insecure that you feel the need to hurt stunt extras is definitely at the top.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

human trafficking and rape is #1 worst thing about Seagal, no doubt.

Frank Stallone still sucks:

https://twitter.com/stallone/status/758696423441346561

Not in the same stratosphere as Seagal however.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't know how you mix up Stallone and Seagal.

On one side is Arnold and on the other is All Other Punchmans

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beachcomber posted:

On one side is Arnold and on the other is All Other Punchmans

Stallone is a legitimate auteur director and screenwriter. Both Rocky and First Blood are great, award worthy films. And Rocky 2 is almost as good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought we were talking about Frank, not Sly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Package deal

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Stallone specifically put in the complaint that he wants an explanation for how this practice came to be(i.e. they have to confess that they knew they were doing shady poo poo), and an agreement that they will not do it again in the future. So yea it seems like he's out for more than just whatever he feels like he's owed for Demolition Man.

Stallone has always been more in touch with the ins and outs of the movie business than the average A-list star. He famously held onto that Rocky script even after he was offered life-changing money for it, because he saw it as is launching pad to an acting career. It doesn't surprise me at all that he'd bring a lawsuit like this for reasons other than just money.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's like seventy years old and rich, he doesn't need a career. He's doing this for future and present actors everywhere.

He's using Demolition Man to protect people in the future...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

He's using Demolition Man to protect people in the future...

Oh drat

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The studio had better hire Wesley Snipes to try and stop him.

A reverse Spartan/Phoenix scenario, if you will.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder how early Trump could see Star Wars 8 if he really wanted to.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Stallone is a legitimate auteur director and screenwriter. Both Rocky and First Blood are great, award worthy films. And Rocky 2 is almost as good.

Rocky Balboa and Creed are alone to cement him as a writer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

human trafficking and rape is #1 worst thing about Seagal, no doubt.

Whaaaaaat

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/a-brief-history-of-steven-seagal-sexual-assault-allegations/

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Demolition Man continues to cement itself as Important Cinema, as it should.

It's an amazing documentary.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I'm very disappointed in handsome fight man Luke Rockhold for sitting next to him long enough for a picture to be taken.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Stallone specifically put in the complaint that he wants an explanation for how this practice came to be(i.e. they have to confess that they knew they were doing shady poo poo), and an agreement that they will not do it again in the future. So yea it seems like he's out for more than just whatever he feels like he's owed for Demolition Man.

Stallone has always been more in touch with the ins and outs of the movie business than the average A-list star. He famously held onto that Rocky script even after he was offered life-changing money for it, because he saw it as is launching pad to an acting career. It doesn't surprise me at all that he'd bring a lawsuit like this for reasons other than just money.

You might say that Stallone is...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh great, the new Shaft is confirmed to be a comedy. Just what we need right now.

• Locked thread