Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

this me @ keith party next year

Is that colbert? Where that from

I demand to know :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Is that colbert? Where that from

I demand to know :colbert:

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
No! I want to know

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:dadjoke:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Kin posted:

I went Office 365 and haven't looked back. I just mentally classed it as a digital tax i have to pay each year because the software is pretty much the gold standard for word docs, spreadsheets, etc.

I paid 120£ for a one-off Office 2020 License (Office Home and Student) because I refuse to participate in Software-as-a-Service, out of principle. I got Word, Excel and Powerpoint; Win10 comes with a mail client built in.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I got a free 2021 license from a kind goon, my eyes are thankful for dark mode and I have not used any of the features apart from that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I liked the video production criticism. I feel like you should try not to make your party political broadcasts look like children of men even if it's realistic.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
A gray and washed out man for a gray and washed out Britain

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hope it's not potato soup, he's not allowed near potatoes any more.

No wait it's

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The new rules that a judge can add two years onto a sentence if the defendant doesn't appear in court to hear it are so stupid. What kind of threat would that be to Lucy Letby or anyone else getting an indeterminate sentence?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lunar Suite posted:

I paid 120£ for a one-off Office 2020 License (Office Home and Student) because I refuse to participate in Software-as-a-Service, out of principle. I got Word, Excel and Powerpoint; Win10 comes with a mail client built in.

I'm now thinking to get one-off licence for Office 2021 Professional Plus (which I've seen for £29.99 for one system or £79.99 for up to 5 systems - haven't checked out goon Lodge North's offerings whether he has licences for those) and I could install that on my old laptop and my netbook - I need Access for bits & bobs I do for people but it is only pc-based anyway), and get Office 365 for the new laptop.

I could potentially get the flats to contribute 50% of the cost of a 365 licence as I do a LOT of work for them unpaid using all the standard apps and Access.
I think I can possibly install Access separately if I buy the 2021 onto the new computer even if I get 365.

I'm only really interested in continual updates for Excel as I actually prefer the Word & powerpoint 2010 versions to the 365 Desktop versions) I can maybe choose one of the lower spec ones. {Ed and probably of no interest to anyone else, as long as I keep working for my main workplace (which I'm hoping will take me through another 3 years to state pension age) I will have Excel 365 on my work laptop so I can try out their newstuff on there. Hm. And 3 years from now there'll probably be some better offering around. Think I'll just get standalones now.}

I don't need Sharepoint or Exchange or Outlook which the browser version is ok anyway. I use Thunderbird as my desktop email app as I have zillions of email addresses and it goes fetch from all of them.

Big Q now is which one of these online key sellers (if LN doesn't have suitable) is trustworthy! Anyone have experience of GetRenewedTech? Their trustpilot rating is 4.6.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Judicial system is for judges and the government, not anybody else.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's just performative 'justice' asked for by people who want to feel the tiniest bit better (for about 5 minutes) by seeing the look on the faces of the person when they're told they'll never be released.

Same thing with that rule about not being eligible for parole if you fail to confess the whereabouts of victims.
It gives murderers a bargaining chip they can hang on to for later.
And it sucks to be you if you were the victim of a miscarriage of justice, since I guess you're doing your full sentence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also as TQIRL pointed out it almost never happens unless the person has serious mental or emotional issues or has literally got in a fight with one of the court personnel, so it's a feel good solution to a near non-problem.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's a great way for the government to say they're doing something, whilst spending almost no money.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Judicial system is for judges and the government, not anybody else.

If the judicial system is for the government why do the government hate judges so much?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm now thinking to get one-off licence for Office 2021 Professional Plus (which I've seen for £29.99 for one system or £79.99 for up to 5 systems - haven't checked out goon Lodge North's offerings whether he has licences for those) and I could install that on my old laptop and my netbook - I need Access for bits & bobs I do for people but it is only pc-based anyway), and get Office 365 for the new laptop.

I could potentially get the flats to contribute 50% of the cost of a 365 licence as I do a LOT of work for them unpaid using all the standard apps and Access.
I think I can possibly install Access separately if I buy the 2021 onto the new computer even if I get 365.

I'm only really interested in continual updates for Excel as I actually prefer the Word & powerpoint 2010 versions to the 365 Desktop versions) I can maybe choose one of the lower spec ones. {Ed and probably of no interest to anyone else, as long as I keep working for my main workplace (which I'm hoping will take me through another 3 years to state pension age) I will have Excel 365 on my work laptop so I can try out their newstuff on there. Hm. And 3 years from now there'll probably be some better offering around. Think I'll just get standalones now.}

I don't need Sharepoint or Exchange or Outlook which the browser version is ok anyway. I use Thunderbird as my desktop email app as I have zillions of email addresses and it goes fetch from all of them.

Big Q now is which one of these online key sellers (if LN doesn't have suitable) is trustworthy! Anyone have experience of GetRenewedTech? Their trustpilot rating is 4.6.

Try checking this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/workplace-discount-program , if your IT staff enabled it, it's a no question asked 30% discount on 365. Get a year, see if it suits your liking and then wait for next year when the LTSC build will include current excel fanciness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's a great way for the government to say they're doing something, whilst spending almost no money.
I wonder if a perverse incentive will come up where you get 2 years for not showing but only 18 months for punching out a Serco guard and being restrained from attending.

One weird trick!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Saw an article that talked about how Sunak was issuing a crackdown on "Zombie Knives" (ie, very large knives up to machetes, stuff you would see in a Zombie Movie.

This is no Left-Wing fantasy. This is the leader of the Conservative party, who are fighting culture wars all over the place, doing this. Now, here's my thought. This is two different worlds, when it comes to weaponry. In the UK, a right-wing party is proposing a crackdown on big knives, where here in the US, people are pushing "Hey, I want to carry my AK-47 into a crowded store, and you can't stop me" policies, and after the 942nd refrain of "We should have a discussion on gun control in the wake of another mass shooting, NO WE WON'T", it's just... two different worldviews.

Hey, I got an idea for a reality show. Find the most gunloving town in America, and somehow get them all to move to the UK, and watch them try to deal with the UK rules on weapons. I set the O/U on number of raging "I need mah gunz!!!!!" related Coronaries at 6.5% of said population:)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem is that they can't come up with a non-stupid definition of 'zombie knife' because it's a stupid problem, so they end up coming up with stupid definitions like "usually coloured knives featuring violent language or motifs"

Meanwhile the people causing actual problems are using £19 machetes and hooks you can get in any countryside hardware store

Which are also better at doing the bad functions like threatening and cutting people too, being functional tools and not comic book nonsense.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A Zombie Knife is any big knife carried by a black person, or a knife carried by someone whose parents aren't friends with a bunch of journalists

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Stupid reactionary legislation like how a low-powered airsoft gun has to be brightly and unrealistically coloured, but a more powerful CO2 gun doesn't.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The problem is that they can't come up with a non-stupid definition of 'zombie knife' because it's a stupid problem, so they end up coming up with stupid definitions like "usually coloured knives featuring violent language or motifs"

Meanwhile the people causing actual problems are using £19 machetes and hooks you can get in any countryside hardware store

Which are also better at doing the bad functions like threatening and cutting people too, being functional tools and not comic book nonsense.

If those coloured knives are ceramic they're very sharp but tend to chip & shatter under hard work conditions.

I really like that billhook tbh, nice handle... lovely flared base.

My billhook is attached to a 1.5m shaft :black101: but i found that long armed secateurs were just much easier to work with.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

In terms of how scary they sound zombie knife is at the extreme opposite end to butterfly knife but I reckon they could both cut you up?

Horseshoe theory for knives confirmed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No garden tools to be sold to anyone under 50 unless they can demonstrate a suitable Fred Wedlock accent.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The zombie knife thing is just the annual government reaction to the annual racist Daily Mail article claiming the Notting Hill Carnival is a crime hellhole, based off the annual tweet by the Metropolitan Police Federation making up numbers about injured officers which is annually proved to be bollocks. You can set your watch by it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the one where people do coke in the street and then stick road flares up their arsehole

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I still don’t think we’ve seen a better visual metaphor for Brexit Britane Astride the Global Stage than “Football Thug on Cocaine with Firework Exploding from his Anus”

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
went skip, came back with pair of nearly new aluminium stepladders and a summer seat :slick:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously you need to take the ladders apart and turn them into a deconstructed piece of wall art with decals of bootprints on them, then sell them for a thousand pounds, as the television has taught me is the way to succeed in britain.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I thought Zombie knives was like ghost guns and you had to register your knife.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

The new rules that a judge can add two years onto a sentence if the defendant doesn't appear in court to hear it are so stupid. What kind of threat would that be to Lucy Letby or anyone else getting an indeterminate sentence?

PM on Radio 4 explained that actually judges can already add on to a sentence if the defendant won’t come to court, they just don’t do it very often

it’s literally a case of “be seen to be doing something” rather than actually changing anything

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:allears:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I really like that billhook tbh, nice handle... lovely flared base.

Don't do it!!!!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

SlowBloke posted:

Try checking this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/workplace-discount-program , if your IT staff enabled it, it's a no question asked 30% discount on 365. Get a year, see if it suits your liking and then wait for next year when the LTSC build will include current excel fanciness.

Thanks - I'll check it out.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

I know that private jets contribute to climate change and the inevitable destruction of the planet as we know it, but loving hell that seems like a fairly harsh punishment for using one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jesus III posted:

I thought Zombie knives was like ghost guns and you had to register your knife.

A Zombie Knife is a knife with a built in speaker that plays Time of the Season & She's Not There

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
What is with the UK and being afraid of knives? Everybody has knives and needs knives for many purposes. Just a bonkers thing to focus on.

Like I’ve got a number of knives, and I use them for everything from chopping vegetables, to cutting rope, to defending myself from immigrants arriving in small boats with zombie knives.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 30, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
You’re gonna want to be careful with zombie knives if your small boat is an inflatable, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normal people knives: safe, sensible.

Bad people knives: zombie, moral panic.