Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mebh posted:

Yeah, there's political BS voting and judges being lovely and the votes actually being rigged.

oh fwiw they added a new system a couple of years ago where the country's popular vote and the country's "panel" were separated so that the panels could easily decide the winner against the popular will

the first time I was aware of this was when we "won" in 2022 overwhelmingly on the popular vote of countries, but then the judges gave Ukraine an insane amount of points based on the judge panels across the EU

I wasn't mad or anything because they just got loving invaded and I understand the political importance of the support, but I did think at the time "just because I'm okay with this now... this is a bullshit system that will absolutely be used badly in future"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Here's a wiki on a few of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_controversies_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest

Thought that ding dang dong thing was My Ding-a-Ling for a moment - anyone else remember it getting banned by the BBC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lsfCnwJqqY

this old chestnut?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing that Jaeluni meant Chuck Berry's ding a ling.

Reminds me of finding some of my grandad's old Sam Cooke records a few years ago.

"Well she was just sixteen"

oh no :yikes:

"But I was just sixteen too"

oh thank gently caress

Always the risk of surprise noncery around every groove with that era of music.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm guessing that Jaeluni meant Chuck Berry's ding a ling.

Reminds me of finding some of my grandad's old Sam Cooke records a few years ago.

"Well she was just sixteen"

oh no :yikes:

"But I was just sixteen too"

oh thank gently caress

Yes, I meant the Chuck Berry song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBxlsi5SYkg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2qv7425gvwo

quote:

'Extreme' protest groups face ban under proposal

Protest groups such as Just Stop Oil and Palestine Action could be banned in a similar way to terrorist organisations, under a proposal from the government’s adviser on political violence.

An upcoming report from Lord Walney, which BBC News has seen extracts of, will recommend a new category for proscribing "extreme protest groups".

It defines these are those which routinely use criminal tactics to try to achieve their aims.

The sanctions could restrict a group's ability to fundraise and its right to assembly in the UK.

A government source said ministers would consider the recommendations.

"Militant groups like Palestine Action and Just Stop Oil are using criminal tactics to create mayhem and hold the public and workers to ransom without fear of consequence," Lord Walney said.

"Banning terror groups has made it harder for their activists to plan crimes - that approach should be extended to extreme protest groups too."

Just Stop Oil and Palestine Action have been approached for comment.

The new restriction orders "would be distinct from proscription on terrorism grounds", the report will say.

But the mechanism could limit the activities of organisations that have a policy of using criminal offences or causing serious disruption to influence government or public debate.

If a group’s actions were persistent, and used to promote a political or ideological cause, that would count against them, according to the recommendation.

It will come as part of a review into tackling political violence by Lord Walney - the former Labour MP John Woodcock - which was commissioned three years ago, but is yet to be published.

A government source said ministers shared Lord Walney’s objectives and would consider implementing his recommendations once the review was published.

We aren't on a very good timeline....

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Every era of music has those songs.

Heres drug songs form the 1940s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2WJqnK3gAY&list=PLo0G7TvyUYlwARpiLm_szqqXJYmNWy1wv&index=13

My personal fav is 'Who Put The Benzedrine In Mrs. Murphys Ovaltine'.

And here is some 30s sex songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkPCmIxv-3k&list=PL63BIL1M7oLLYLdCe-UysxX3oxs-Uv_Z_&index=1

Just listen to the first line of the first song.

These are better than Eurovision anyday imo

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 12, 2024

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

oh fwiw they added a new system a couple of years ago where the country's popular vote and the country's "panel" were separated so that the panels could easily decide the winner against the popular will

the first time I was aware of this was when we "won" in 2022 overwhelmingly on the popular vote of countries, but then the judges gave Ukraine an insane amount of points based on the judge panels across the EU

I wasn't mad or anything because they just got loving invaded and I understand the political importance of the support, but I did think at the time "just because I'm okay with this now... this is a bullshit system that will absolutely be used badly in future"

It was the other way around. Ukraine effectively got 12 points from everyone in the popular vote.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mebh posted:

Is there like, an actual legit chance that Eurovision voting is and has always been a sham?

yes, rumours are that the 1968 eurovision was fixed by the spanish dictator franco and knocked our boy cliff richard off the top spot with one of the few good songs we’ve ever sent “congratulations “

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I mean I do wonder why any of it is funny and if it's not just Anglos having no concept of languages beyond english again

To be fair, my German partner also finds Dutch hilarious. I could see him grinning every time he saw a sign, when we were passing through the Netherlands.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

The popular vote gave Israel 323 points so thank gently caress for the juries imo

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Imagine getting paid to be a fascist oval office every day.
I'd probably smash my own head in, and I'd recommend Penis Penispenis do the same.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Paging Lord of the Llamas to the charts thread for this absolute doozy of a venn

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Men with Venn

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh hey, they even added a clause about "organisations that have a policy of using criminal offences or causing serious disruption" to covver their friends in the EDL and BNP, because of course the coked up statue defenders don't have a policy for those things, they just seem to happen entirely coincidentally every single time the groups meet up in public.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if you’re gonna get 12 years for holding up a sign you might as get 12 years for bringing a hammer and actually causing serious damage to some delicate equipment

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

Paging Lord of the Llamas to the charts thread for this absolute doozy of a venn
I describe my relationship using this diagram but the other members of my polycule use a conflicting diagram

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

I describe my relationship using this diagram but the other members of my polycule use a conflicting diagram

:sever:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Men going their own venn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Men Without Sets?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nettle Soup posted:

To be fair, my German partner also finds Dutch hilarious. I could see him grinning every time he saw a sign, when we were passing through the Netherlands.

It goes the other way too but only when I drive past Wankum

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I hardly know 'em!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

if you’re gonna get 12 years for holding up a sign you might as get 12 years for bringing a hammer and actually causing serious damage to some delicate equipment

Big Qin Dynasty executions for everyone energy going on.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Z the IVth posted:

Big Qin Dynasty executions for everyone energy going on.

I think the worst was the Yongle Emperor. Managed to do the 10 Exterminations and wasn't just the parents, children, grandparents, students, sworn friends and brothers but any of those peoples relatives as well. If they'd up'd it to 11 they may well have wiped out himself.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I think the worst was the Yongle Emperor. Managed to do the 10 Exterminations and wasn't just the parents, children, grandparents, students, sworn friends and brothers but any of those peoples relatives as well. If they'd up'd it to 11 they may well have wiped out himself.

The Qin dynasty thing was making every crime punishable by death as some crazy attempt at "deterrence". This meant when an otherwise well meaning cop lost a few rebel prisoners (punishable by death) he decided that in for a penny, in for a pound and joined the rebellion (also punishable by death). Worked out pretty well as he ended up the future Han Emperor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yongle sounds like one of those games like Jenga except everyone either gets killed or becomes a bandit king.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Z the IVth posted:

The Qin dynasty thing was making every crime punishable by death as some crazy attempt at "deterrence". This meant when an otherwise well meaning cop lost a few rebel prisoners (punishable by death) he decided that in for a penny, in for a pound and joined the rebellion (also punishable by death). Worked out pretty well as he ended up the future Han Emperor.

May have already been posted in this thread but didnt something like this happen in Mexico when they made the punishment for kidnapping death so instead of just kidnapping people and releasing them once they got paid they just shot them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yongle Emperor is definitely a soundcloud rapper.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nettle Soup posted:

Napoleon on ridiculous languages:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Rarity posted:

The popular vote gave Israel 323 points so thank gently caress for the juries imo

I think it’s likely that this is a vocal but small plurality of voters in most countries going hard for Israel, e.g. a solid 20% of committed arseholes, while the remaining majority of 80% is spread across a a whole host of other countries. It’s not like you can vote against Israel, you can just vote for someone else.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

I think it’s likely that this is a vocal but small plurality of voters in most countries going hard for Israel, e.g. a solid 20% of committed arseholes, while the remaining majority of 80% is spread across a a whole host of other countries. It’s not like you can vote against Israel, you can just vote for someone else.

Also a lot of the committed arseholes are people who don't normally vote at all, but nobody was saying "I don't normally care about eurovision but this year I really want Israel not to win so I'm signing up for the first time to vote for idk Croatia"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Venn Men Venn Men Venn Venn Venn Men Men

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I imagine the anti-israel vote was also stunted a bit by those strongly pro-palestine boycotting the whole thing altogether, particularly with how voting involves actually giving money to eurovision. i dunno if they publish turnout numbers

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Eylon Levy was on a eurovision fuelled unhinged rage trip. wonder how much of israels vote was aipac money lol

some of his takes are just amazing

eurovision does say something about western civilization i think, but it's probably doesn't validate this take

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
lol @ all the posters hailing the destruction of a massive and important event for the queer community. Please try to not be miserable pricks for 5 seconds.

Went to an alternative Eurovision thing, lots of queer performers doing a mix of genuinely impressive and silly as gently caress stuff, was a lot of fun. Bought a keffiyeh, finally, and it’s extremely soft and comfy which is a bonus I’d not expected.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jakabite posted:

lol @ all the posters hailing the destruction of a massive and important event for the queer community. Please try to not be miserable pricks for 5 seconds.

Went to an alternative Eurovision thing, lots of queer performers doing a mix of genuinely impressive and silly as gently caress stuff, was a lot of fun. Bought a keffiyeh, finally, and it’s extremely soft and comfy which is a bonus I’d not expected.

Hating eurovision is a perfectly legitimate response based on its content and how hard it is to avoid it I think. But yeah it's got a lot of importance beyond EBU money source, there's such a thing as hating it respectfully

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that I would enormously want to be associated with eurovision just because I'm bi tbh.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know that I would enormously want to be associated with eurovision just because I'm bi tbh.

That’s fine for you, but it is undeniably a big event and an important touchstone for many of your fellow queers, like myself. And to be a bit less high horsey about it, it’s a lot of silly fun performances with a weird fun voting format and a ton of pageantry, and when people hate on it it has the exact same vibe as the miserable emo kid at school constantly talking about how awful Britney is or whatever.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jakabite posted:

lol @ all the posters hailing the destruction of a massive and important event for the queer community.

which posters, what hailing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

when it started it was mostly straight, it's a great example of gay appropriation