Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's a Vanguard QA up on Mantic's Facebook page. Seems it's closer to Mordheim than I was expecting (or wanting honestly, that market is fairly saturated at the moment).

Square bases, D8s, public alpha "soon", potentially a Kickstarter, Nightstalkers probably in the core set, 3x3 playing area, no grid, 100 point games, models gain experience, games can link together or connect to a full Kings of War game, alternating activations but you can use abilities to move groups simultaneously.

My guess is that you'll have more models than you would with Frostgrave but fewer than with Dragon Rampant.

I can't wait for the second edition of the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

HerrBrau posted:

There's way more than 3 if you count Uncharted Empires. I'd like to see them finish out the lines for their "core" armies and improve some of the older models.

I think he meant the three unreleased sets of rules. We're getting some viking stuff later on apparently and there's always the Kin which still have no official rules. The QA mentioned they might get rolled into the Night-stalkers list.

LordAba posted:

I can't wait for the second edition of the game!

I laugh, but this is probably true. But hey at least they do revise their games in order to improve them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Northern Alliance (Elves, Vikings, Ogres, frost themed creatures), Ophidia, and Twilight Kin were ostensibly the 3 unreleased armies, being the only ones to have no rules as well as no minis, and yeah it sounds like they want to fold the Twilight Kin into the Nightstalkers.

HerrBrau posted:

improve some of the older models.

Think you'll get your wish, Basileans being one of the two player starter forces means they should be going ahead with their plan to re-sculpt the Men at Arms

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I know some people hate multiple uses of kickstarter, but that's where Vanguard is going - they could fund the rules being written and printed out of pocket, but they're going to use it as the draw for funding the production of new sprues and minis.

"Kings of War: Vanguard will be launching on Kickstater soon. Throughout this week, we’ll be exploring the game in more detail and giving you a taste of the rules."

https://manticblog.com/2017/10/16/introduction-kings-war-vanguard/

Hoping it's a much smaller project, funding for some yet-to-be-sculpted hero types, a few new named heroes, some basic Nightstalker stuff, and replacement sprues for basilean Men at Arms, nothing extravagant, and save Ophidia and the Northern Alliance for regular retail release like they did with the Empire of Dust and half of the Forces of Nature.

Also hopefully I find work before then, wouldn't mind just some new Ogre heroes and the rules.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

Also hopefully I find work before then, wouldn't mind just some new Ogre heroes and the rules.

You can always teach English in Southeast Asia.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
It seems to me going the KS route is just going to make them late to the small gang skirmish party if it takes 9-12 months for the campaign through to fulfillment. GW has Shadespire and Necromunda coming out imminently and Privateer Press's own Company of Iron drops in 9 days.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Plus the Osprey skirmish game Kobolds and Cobblestones is out at the end of January.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Mantic have done nothing to capture me, as a gamer, at all since KoW v2. They've got so many plates spinning, so many things to deliver on that are coming out lacklustre. It's very disappointing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They're turning into Spartan with the way they're losing focus.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
What exactly do they need to kickstart with regards to vanguard - wouldn't it use the same miniatures line?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TTerrible posted:

They're turning into Spartan with the way they're losing focus.

Even down to having a licensed game hardly anyone plays!

I do hope they start focusing on their core stuff instead of churning out loads of badly thought out games.

At least Vanguard minis should be compatible with KOW instead of being in a completely different scale, so will have some use as alternate regiments or command figures.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well except the only thing that would be even remotely portable would be heroes and monsters, since everything else is regiment based as per literally one of the main driving forces behind KoW itself?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Giant Isopod posted:

What exactly do they need to kickstart with regards to vanguard - wouldn't it use the same miniatures line?

New minis for the Nightstalkers, who don't currently have any, and a replacement for the Basilean Men at Arms, which were an early example of what happens when you don't pay close enough attention to the Chinese factory.

Otherwise, the rules and any resin or metal hero moulds could be funded out of pocket.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The big issue isn't necessarily the depth of their catalog but their lovely release schedule (which could be because of the depth of their catalog). Dungeon and Star Saga should be seen as entry level boardgames only and should never, ever interfere with releases for their miniature games. Each one should get about an expansion a quarter to keep it fresh and every unit should directly correspond to a hero or named hero in Kings of War. Like Lord of the Rings was for GW, Walking Dead releases should be totally separate from the release schedule for Warpath and Kings of War. The issue is that when you have a new Dungeon Saga expansion or wave of The Walking Dead, nothing comes out for Kings of War or Warpath. Sometimes it feels like Kings of War doesn't get a new release for months at a time. What was the last army to see a release? The Fish people? That feels like forever ago.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
There was the summer campaign models for KoW I guess. The stragglers of Warpath stuff are getting out there. Sounds like Star Saga should be hitting Mantic for fulfillment processing soon as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There was also the Tree Herder, that came out a month or so ago, and the Undead Wyrm and the Steel Behemoth are out this week

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

There was also the Tree Herder, that came out a month or so ago, and the Undead Wyrm and the Steel Behemoth are out this week

These are good to see, but they're just odds and ends. They don't really scream, "YOU CAN GO AND PLAY GAMES NOW!"

I liked when they put together the mini-bundles which were like 2-3 units and a character or two. It was mostly just repackaged stuff, but it at least gave you a deal and an alternative way to get into the hobby or start a new army.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

These are good to see, but they're just odds and ends. They don't really scream, "YOU CAN GO AND PLAY GAMES NOW!"

I liked when they put together the mini-bundles which were like 2-3 units and a character or two. It was mostly just repackaged stuff, but it at least gave you a deal and an alternative way to get into the hobby or start a new army.

They've made new army bundles featuring all 3 of those big minis as well

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

They've made new army bundles featuring all 3 of those big minis as well

Ah fair enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dwarf/Elf/Undead Monster Bundle and Mega Monster Bundle, has a small/medium army, the monster, and the gamer's rulebook... though they all appear to be preorder only, rather than a continuing sku

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What is their current KS status anyway? Warpath is 95% done but probably doesn't finish this year. Did anyone pledge to Dreadball 2? Is Terrain crate looking to ship on time?

Kinda feels like any Vanguard KS anytime soon won't finish til nearly 2020.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lol, STAR SAGA UNBOXING on youtube. Posted at 1am GMT, with 'Hangouts on Air' thumbnail.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Warpath: Nearly done, just waiting on last vehicles (GCPS and Asterians). This one at least didn't seem to be their fault
Star Saga: shipping soon
Loot Crate: no idea
Dreadball 2: no idea
Vanguard: ready to start

If you look at what's out and what's finishing up, most if not all of the outstanding kickstarters have moved on to the manufacturing and shipping phases. That means Mantic itself isn't doing much. Writing rules, playtesting, and putting together designs are basically all they handle aside from quality control, which doesn't take the whole team, just the guy whose forced to oversee the Chinese factories.

So they can totally handle bringing on another Kickstarter. It's just a question of should they.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

Warpath: Nearly done, just waiting on last vehicles (GCPS and Asterians). This one at least didn't seem to be their fault
Did you not back Star Saga? It's only shipping wave 1 which is like, half the kickstarter. All the added content is six to twelve months off.

Both the DB2 and terrain crate KSes are filled with bitching about being late, but of course, who knows how meaningful that is, which is why I asked. But I'm not sure anyone here still routinely backs their stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spiderdrake posted:

Did you not back Star Saga? It's only shipping wave 1 which is like, half the kickstarter. All the added content is six to twelve months off.

Both the DB2 and terrain crate KSes are filled with bitching about being late, but of course, who knows how meaningful that is, which is why I asked. But I'm not sure anyone here still routinely backs their stuff.

I passed on Star Saga. I just assume there will be delays with any and all Kickstarters regardless of who does it. As far as I can tell, Mantic is no more egregious than anyone else and is often better, especially and communicating what is going on.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Yeah, I was a bit surprised they decided to go with KS for Vanguard because I feel like they've taken some flak for being too KS-centric, with the suggestion being thrown around that retailers don't want to stock their stuff because they're seen as a KS company. I'll still back it, of course, because KoW is far and away my game of choice.

I do worry that they spread themselves too thin and with other fantasy skirmish games and Oathmark coming down the pike to compete in the rank n' flank arena, I hope they can maintain focus. They make really fantastic rules and decent enough models.

I'm not sure what their biggest game (in terms of revenue) is, but I have to imagine it's KoW followed by TWD:AOW just based on FB group numbers. Though, with KoW, they probably struggle with many players not buying Mantic models because they have GW models. They really need to flesh out the existing armies from the core rulebook at the very least (filling gaps in ranges, etc) at a greater pace than a couple new resin monsters here and there.

EDIT: New Vanguard info on Character Cards revealed!

EDIT 2: And I just got an email informing me that my Steel Behemoth and TWD Scenery Pack are on their way from merry old England! :dance:

herr brau fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 17, 2017

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Atlas Hugged posted:

Loot Crate: no idea
Dreadball 2: no idea
Vanguard: ready to start

If you look at what's out and what's finishing up, most if not all of the outstanding kickstarters have moved on to the manufacturing and shipping phases. That means Mantic itself isn't doing much. Writing rules, playtesting, and putting together designs are basically all they handle aside from quality control, which doesn't take the whole team, just the guy whose forced to oversee the Chinese factories.

So they can totally handle bringing on another Kickstarter. It's just a question of should they.

Dreadball 2 is shipping this side of Christmas, all being well it will be fulfilled by New Year.

It is running about 6 months behind, due to some sort of tooling/China production issues from earlier in the year. I gather it didn't just hit Mantic. The good news was that Mantic used the extra time to continue working on the rules and made some more positive sounding changes that would not have been in otherwise. So in this case being late has probably helped make a better game so I'm cool with that.

The bigger problem Dreadball 2 has is that since the kickstarter wrapped it has had zero promotion and Mantic rarely even mention it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Mantic is oddly bad about updating their Kickstarters for a Company that relies on them so much. I think they went months without any updates on Star Saga.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Dreadball had a long, long period of nothing at all then started ticking again a couple of months ago.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Mantic Blog has our first look at Vanguard stats. It's fairly close to Kings of War with a few notable exceptions. Armour had replaced Defense. Functionally it's the same, but now the defender rolls it.

This makes a bit of sense since now Ranged, Melee, and Armour are better if they're low. In Kings of War it makes more sense to have the attacker roll since it streamlines play, but here action passes back and forth anyway so it's not a big deal.

Everything is also on a D8. This gives more flexibility and range in stats. It's one of my favorite things about Deadzone so it's welcome here.

Wounds have also been introduced, so models can outright die.

Last, they've made separate sections for special rules and special abilities. Rules are the same as in other Mantic games, universal and always work the same. Abilities are like Command in Deadzone and require dice to activate.

There's also equipment, but we don't know much about it yet.

All in all, it seems like a good compromise between fast mechanics and gritty options. It should work fine as a skirmish game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_XW8gQTHb0

Bests of War interview with Rob from Mantic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewhudffg0qrtvpg/VANGUARD%20-%20ALPHA%20RULES%20OCT%2027.zip?dl=0

Alpha of the rules for people to peruse before the project launches

Cringer after Prince Adam has held aloft his sword and spoken the words

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just noticed that the new Abyssal horsemen are the hard to find twilight kin horsemen in a different color scheme.

Which is cool, since they were rad models.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Vanguard rules look pretty good to me. A bit fewer models than I wanted, but you can get a decent sized warband going if you want.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I know the vanguard kickstarter goes live today, do we have a specific time yet?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
6pm GMT

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wow thanks, that would have been a lot of wasted refreshing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Was just about to back the Vanguard kickstarter, but I just wanted the rules. Oh well, maybe I can hop on V2 in a year or two.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Looks like the kickstarter is live (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/kings-of-war-vanguard-the-fantasy-skirmish-wargame).

$85 for the rules, some terrain and 9-10 dudes with half being duplicates however... Aieee.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Ya... i'm currently on a kickstarter pause anyway... but this does not currently look like a great deal to me. I'm pretty surprised you dont get both warbands in the base pledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, it's going to take a lot of stretch goals to make it competitively priced to just picking it up from a store after release.

As is it's actually priced worse than the Necromunda relaunch and people are already complaining about that price point.