Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man I really dig this game. Agree with everyone it needs to speed up in parts (waiting for enemy to move, switching targets with multi fire and stuff like that) but it has potential! And i believe there will be loads of cool mods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Arrath posted:

I also think there should be some extra penalty to getting knocked down. But I'm just salty at knocking over enemies and so often having them stand right up on the next phase/before I get to do what they do to me: whiteknuckling my way through 3 rounds of Call Shot: CT or Head as they pound the poo poo out of whoever I was stupid enough to let lose a leg.

Reserve more. Knock them down after they act, then called shot them the next turn.

(This may be less feasible if you're running an all-assault lance, but honestly at that point who gives a poo poo)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Getting knocked down is already a huge penalty because the potential for a disgusting amount of called shots so no, you don't need to make knockdown even stronger.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

my kinda ape posted:

It's kind of weird that there's zero penalty for standing up. Like if you get knocked down immediately before your turn then it doesn't mean anything whatsoever besides the wound you take from knockdown.

You'd think it'd like halve your movement at least or something.

There's an accuracy penalty the round after getting up iirc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Master Tac is a blessing and a curse. A curse because I'll rush forward and get my rear end knocked down and let a whole bunch of slower mechs unload on me like the idiot I am. Then I get knocked down 1 init and they get to shoot me again because now I'm slower than them!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

terrorist ambulance posted:

How do people equip their orions

Pretty damned effective.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

hahahahah gently caress I'd completely forgotten what a tabletop Kintaro looks like.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jabor posted:

Reserve more. Knock them down after they act, then called shot them the next turn.

(This may be less feasible if you're running an all-assault lance, but honestly at that point who gives a poo poo)

Yeah, I do tend to just burn all my dude's turns as soon as they're up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well, didn't expect that

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man the game picks up fast after Smithon. I went from having killed five heavies to killed twenty five in like six missions. Instead of scumming around in dragons and horrible ac jaegers because I don't have anything else now got glitch in an Orion. I goddamn laughed when on first deployment she just walked up to a mech and cored it with an alpha strike.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I really wish there was a "Buy Intel for the next mission" option that gives some insight about the mechs present. It doesn't even have to be a full document, just something like Intel: The combined tonnage of opposing force seems to be around 100 tonnes" would be so nice.

I hate going blind to a juicy looking mission, choosing full cash or full salvage and get shafted because either rare mechs show up or end up fighting 6 garbage tier mechs, respectively. (Maybe it is a design choice to randomize things like that and add some replay value)

I was half asleep when I heard the random banter between people in Argo during idle or travel times. It was a really nice MY IMMERSION touch and I'm a sucker for things like that :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

buy amd at a slightly lower price

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

At the very least they should let you see the map before you drop.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Did they patch the re-enforcement bug yet?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

Not a bug, it's just poorly conveyed that these are supposed to be there as unexpected backup.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

Them being there on the ground and ready to fight isn't the bug, it's a mission wrinkle you're meant to deal with. The bug part is how at the end of the mission the "uh oh, reinforcements" message fires a second time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Space Skeleton posted:

Them being there on the ground and ready to fight isn't the bug, it's a mission wrinkle you're meant to deal with. The bug part is how at the end of the mission the "uh oh, reinforcements" message fires a second time.

Yep, if you're paying attention during early movement it will be clear they spawn onto the map from the beginning. But there's both the quoted bug, and also it's being communicated in a way that makes people think they "spawn" at triggers, the way they do in some story missions or other, non-battle mission types.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Affi posted:

Man I really dig this game. Agree with everyone it needs to speed up in parts (waiting for enemy to move, switching targets with multi fire and stuff like that) but it has potential! And i believe there will be loads of cool mods!

I haven't really followed the thread for a couple of days since I mostly hang out on BT Discord, so no idea if this was mentioned before. But yersterday I did the edits which were described in this RPS article:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/05/02/battletech-speed-fix/#more-539023

So this is how my game currently runs. Don't pay attention to my horrible gameplay, just check the reduced delays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OyI6Jw3d_w&t=164s

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Been playing for a bit now. Only went through the first priority moon mission, ever since then I've been roaming space on contracts. My lance is made up of the still stock Blackjack/Vindicator/Shadowhawk. The real heart of it is my Cent-A that I kitted in 3xSRM6+2ML with 3t of ammo and as many heat sinks as I can shove in it. For the most part my order of combat is to walk the other three towards the intended target, softening it up while the Cent sprints in. Then when in position, it shits damage at close range. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I need to see about reworking the other mechs, and now that I've learned some proper light mech reserving tactics, maybe reintroduce one of them for easier missions.

Had a little fun adding a custom logo to the game, though I know the next time HBS updates it I'll have to re-edit the csv file:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I kind of wish the vehicles had half the weapons they do. I don't like being more scared of them than of mechs.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I hope they do a balance pass on energy weapons, especially the Star League tech ones. Anything that isn't a medium laser generates way too much heat for their damage/range. I'm convinced that Medium Pulses are some designer's cruel joke. Why yes I'd love to pay double the tonnage and heat burden of a Med. Laser for 5 more damage and 1 more accuracy... - That would be a tough pill to swallow as is, but once you factor in + or ++ lasers it becomes laughable.

Then the ER weapons are also way too heat expensive for a range advantage that is much harder to use in this game with its fog of war mechanics.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I just tweaked the .json files myself to make them suck less. It takes, like, three minutes.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Ok, I just did a three skull battle mission and breezed through it and salvaged a catapult. I think I was just scared off because the last one I tried was in medium mechs and it was probably a bad intel mission.

BTW, is there a better catapult spec than just 2 LRM 20's and tons of ammo and heat sinks?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

:stare:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

Ok, I just did a three skull battle mission and breezed through it and salvaged a catapult. I think I was just scared off because the last one I tried was in medium mechs and it was probably a bad intel mission.

Yea, some of the difficulty ratings are a bit off at times. I've had a 3 1/2 skull mission turn out to be 3 medium mechs while a 2 skull was 3 heavies and 5 mediums :iiam:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
oh, you.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Anyone else need to put jump jets on all their mechs?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Anyone else need to put jump jets on all their mechs?
Yups. You absolutely should goomba stomp enemy mechs that weigh less than yours.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Back Hack posted:

So what are the ins and outs of ace pilot skill, it doesn't seem all that impressive? Can I shoot and then melee with it? Can I shoot and then embrace? Does sensor locking count as shooting? Having the ability to shoot then move seems very situational to me. :shrug:

Help me out here.

Turn 1: move from cover, shoot.
Turn 2: shoot, return to cover.

With proper use of reserving, one can move and shoot twice and the enemy cannot respond. Otherwise, you at least get to shoot every turn while only being in the open and shot at half the time.

It's a very solid and flexible choice.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/49

Someone decided to give the Cicada some love. :allears:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

got an SLDF highlander and a Battlemaster from the grave robbery mission, yet i'm still using the same centurion missile boat i've had for 9/10 of the game :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sandoz posted:

got an SLDF highlander and a Battlemaster from the grave robbery mission, yet i'm still using the same centurion missile boat i've had for 9/10 of the game :(
I think I prefer MW4's system to some extent, where instead of having a missile hardpoint but it can range from an SMR2 to a LRM20, you had a missile "space" that had a maximum size. Maybe some combination of both, so something like a Catapult was actually valuable because it was the first mech you could get that could mount two LRM20s based on the size of the hardpoint, not tonnage or number of hardpoints, and things like the AC-20 Hunchback showed up not because they had a ballistics hardpoint in the shoulder, but because they could actually fit an AC-20 in there unlike basically any other medium. I could see doing a mix of both, too, where each space had a maximum number of hardpoints in it.

E: Under that system, you probably wouldn't be able to mount 2 LRM20s on a Centurion, because the missile hardpoints wouldn't be large enough to do so, giving you more reason to play to various model quirks.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 3, 2018

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Why is there several mods that take the weapons that HBS made vaguely usable, and turn them back into utter garbage again? One of them takes the AC2 and makes it do 10 damage, without changing anything else about it, so while its back in line with "rigorously playtested over 30 years" :airquote: Battletech stats, its also utterly useless in this game, given theres no aerospace to plink at.

Like, congrats, you just took it and made it a complete waste of tonnage again...and theres people on Nexus thanking them for doing this? :psyduck:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can the Dragon be redeemed in any way?

I did srm6, ac5, 2 ml and 2 sl, with max armor. Don't be afraid to punch dudes. I ran 3 dragons for a long time i really like them.

also remember when you punch dudes those 2 small lasers add another 40-50 damage.

wargames fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 3, 2018

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ghetto Prince posted:

BTW, is there a better catapult spec than just 2 LRM 20's and tons of ammo and heat sinks?

A better catapult spec is not using a catapult, because 2 missile hardpoints is a ripoff.
One of Jagermech variants had 4 missiles, use that one, not sure you could stretch it to 4*LRM 20, but 4*LRM 15 fits reasonably well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've got three shadow hawks now. Almost one heavy. My mediums are bankrupting me so I need to sell em.

I'll continue the campaign one day. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tindahbawx posted:

Why is there several mods that take the weapons that HBS made vaguely usable, and turn them back into utter garbage again? One of them takes the AC2 and makes it do 10 damage, without changing anything else about it, so while its back in line with "rigorously playtested over 30 years" :airquote: Battletech stats, its also utterly useless in this game, given theres no aerospace to plink at.

Like, congrats, you just took it and made it a complete waste of tonnage again...and theres people on Nexus thanking them for doing this? :psyduck:

if you're the kind of person who spends their attention on a single game over the course of 30 years you're probably not the type of person who likes people stepping in to try and change it

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can someone explain how a civilized and organized army became feral tribesmen in a few generations, despite keeping the tech they came with?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How are people building Griffin-1Ns?

I tried triple LRM10s, but it felt a bit gimmicky, so I'm gonna give 2x LRM10s, 3x MLs, and just bulk it out after that. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Can someone explain how a civilized and organized army became feral tribesmen in a few generations, despite keeping the tech they came with?

Kerensky was a really bad leader.