Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I did react a tad strongly. People pissing in the cornflakes of people just enjoying something is one of my little pet peeves and I’ve had it from various corners all week. I think part of it is that I’ve rarely felt very connected to my queer identity or the cultural touchstones of queerness, and Eurovision has always been one of the few I do ‘get’ so I’m a little defensive of it.

Sorry about the name mix up too btw lol, ive only been reading your posts for about 12 years to be fair though so I’ve not had long to learn :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
P.s. can I have the Capt Tom gang tag if we’re handing em out

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I did react a tad strongly. People pissing in the cornflakes of people just enjoying something is one of my little pet peeves and I’ve had it from various corners all week. I think part of it is that I’ve rarely felt very connected to my queer identity or the cultural touchstones of queerness, and Eurovision has always been one of the few I do ‘get’ so I’m a little defensive of it.

Sorry about the name mix up too btw lol, ive only been reading your posts for about 12 years to be fair though so I’ve not had long to learn :D

I wouldn’t worry. People have been losing their loving minds all day

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
in sweden we have a national competetion consisting of five saturdays of qualifying events (two top placing contestants from each event go on to the finals), then a runner-up second chance style thing, then the finals, to select who does eurovision. so from february to may, you've got to be pretty loving careful to not get any of it on you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Which is funny considering what got you so het up at me about.

Very problematic language, do better

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I enjoy Eurovision, Jakabite :3:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

On an entirely different track of outrage - Lembit “Cheeky Girls” Opek has been whining for a whole day about perceived “sex acts” in the UK performance

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

smellmycheese posted:

On an entirely different track of outrage - Lembit “Cheeky Girls” Opek has been whining for a whole day about perceived “sex acts” in the UK performance

wtf?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

forkboy84 posted:

I mean quite clearly it's hard to avoid. It's being spoken about in this very thread right now!

Without the scandal of Israel, would we be talking about it? Not that this thread is really evidence either way.

I can't speak to who you follow on social media but I honestly barely hear a peep and besides my wife I don't know anyone who watches it.
Maybe it is hard for you to avoid but I don't agree that this a universal experience.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 12, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

If only Olly had one of the Cheeky Girls involved.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

josh04 posted:

Just that ULEZ -> Palestine -> Just Stop Oil bar would make a great gang tag, maybe with a mini Sir Captain in there somewhere.

It looks like a medal ribbon.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Touch my bum/
This is Life

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

in sweden we have a national competetion consisting of five saturdays of qualifying events (two top placing contestants from each event go on to the finals), then a runner-up second chance style thing, then the finals, to select who does eurovision. so from february to may, you've got to be pretty loving careful to not get any of it on you

in the uk the act magically turns up and radio one says they’re brilliant

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Back in my day we only had Cheeky Girls and Cheeky Boys. None of this Cheeky Nonbinary nonsense.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Isn't one of our esteemed posters ITT related to Lembit Opik?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes she's the great niece of him or something and got cut out of the family will by Lembit specifically IIRC.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Estonia produced Lembit Opik, but it also produced the guy who did Disco Elysium, so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

I wouldn’t worry. People have been losing their loving minds all day

Just imagine the hand wringing if twitter had been around for the Bucks Fizz performance.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Place your bets Gentlemen…

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kwasi Kwarteng

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Liz Truss

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Theresa May

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Margaret Thatcher (reanimated corpse of)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

Margaret Thatcher (reanimated corpse of)

Starmer is definitely going to do the JW thing where they convert your dead relatives.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Starmer is definitely going to do the JW thing where they convert your dead relatives.

That's LDS

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nenonen posted:

That's LDS

I was actually thinking "wait was it the other lot?" after posting that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sebzilla posted:

I reckon some English words or names probably sound funny/stupid in other languages and their native speakers have a good old laugh about it

So a number of years ago, I took part in an international mooting contest. (Think mock a mock trial but as a contest.)

It involved participants from all over Europe. And the Judges were also from all over Europe.

And one of the guys on our team had the surname "Lawless." Which to me is a perfectly normal name.

But the amount of times that other people (who weren't from English speaking nations) were like, "Your name is Lawless....and you are a lawyer?" (Laughs in European.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that is a slightly funny name for a lawyer.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

smellmycheese posted:

I can't be arsed to go and check but are any ex-Ministers either a) confirmed to already be standing down, and/or b) are in a constituency that is going away and therefore it doesn't matter?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think May actually is standing down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

She is. Not that this is unusual, there's something like 80-100 Tories that have announced they'll be standing down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

So a number of years ago, I took part in an international mooting contest. (Think mock a mock trial but as a contest.)

It involved participants from all over Europe. And the Judges were also from all over Europe.

And one of the guys on our team had the surname "Lawless." Which to me is a perfectly normal name.

But the amount of times that other people (who weren't from English speaking nations) were like, "Your name is Lawless....and you are a lawyer?" (Laughs in European.)
Ah, the nemesis of Lord Chief Justice Baron Judge KC, a man made entirely of legal titles.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

So’s Elphicke, isn’t she? I think the odds on my guess just improved :smugdog:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

Ian Duncan Smith

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Lembit needs a dictionary if he thinks something can be both “inferred” and “explicit” at the same time

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Not least because he probably meant to say “implied”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, the nemesis of Lord Chief Justice Baron Judge KC, a man made entirely of legal titles.

a miserable pile of honorifics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also he means "implied", the artist can imply something to the audience, the viewer would be the one inferring a meaning.

Unless Lembit is going to apologize for inferring all those sex acts while watching.

efb

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jedit posted:

She is. Not that this is unusual, there's something like 80-100 Tories that have announced they'll be standing down.

There's also about 80-100 former ministers just from this parliament. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

smellmycheese posted:

I keep seeing this account posted in here and nobody ever points out that the handle is @politLcsuk with an L, is it actually legitimate?