Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Orv posted:

No word from Slithereen on the matter yet. Hopefully this doesn't gently caress up the trend they were starting of pricing their games reasonably and putting them on Steam.

I worry that the game - coming onto Steam practically unadvertised and having a theme that not many people care about - probably didn't sell too well. Maybe they're currently going all 'SEE?? Lowering the prices DOESN'T help!! gently caress Steam, we're doing everything the old-fashioned way again!' and C:TGW is just the first casualty of a sudden price policy reversal. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That doesn't really make sense since from what I understand the Spiderweb guy has made an absolute bomb from Steam after having a similar policy of selling small amounts to enthusiasts for a higher price.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Ddraig posted:

That doesn't really make sense since from what I understand the Spiderweb guy has made an absolute bomb from Steam after having a similar policy of selling small amounts to enthusiasts for a higher price.

Grognard developers are about as good with business decisions and money as our own Lowtax.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ddraig posted:

Sleeping Dogs. Pure Hong Kong action film.

Sleeping Dogs is a great game, but a terrible sandbox game. The flow of the story was great but there was nothing compelling me to do anything outside of the missions other than hear the pork bun guy berate me for not having a pork bun in my hand.

I've heard good things about Injustice, but I'm not a super big comicbook guy, and the last fighting game I've played seriously was JoJo All Star Battle, and before than Guilty Gear, both solo. Is this game worth getting?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

fatherboxx posted:

Red Dead Redemption!
Yeah, Red Dead Redemption not only has the best story in a sandbox game but is also the best sandbox game ever made.

As far as stories go - GTA 5 is pretty entertaining. It's all in the dialogues and characters' personalities though and not in the plot itself.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ddraig posted:

That's the thing about ultra-niche gaming markets, they know they can afford to price what they like if they keep making quality (and often the only) products for those specific people. Of course the moment they make a real fuckup they have to start looking for new customers because half their lifelong ones were "betrayed". Take care when peddling $90 grognard crack for blah blah blah you go out of business.

Morter posted:

I've heard good things about Injustice, but I'm not a super big comicbook guy, and the last fighting game I've played seriously was JoJo All Star Battle, and before than Guilty Gear, both solo. Is this game worth getting?

As someone who cannot fighting game to save his life, Injustice has been my drowning mans bouy of fighting games.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

Make a panel displaying your reaction as you slowly scroll down the huniepop tumblr

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 20, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Store deals

Thi4f - $8.99
Splinter Cell Blacklist (uPlay) - $4.49
Nidhogg - $4.99
Castle of Illusion - $3.74
Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - $2.99
Glare - $3.33
Noir Syndrome - $2.33
Dream - $8.49
Killer is Dead - $9.99
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures - $0.99
Pool Nation - $1.49

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 20, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

It was fantastic, even if the ending was a little compacted.

I don't like this last year or so personal trend of examining video games instead of just playing them, I want to stop maturing as a gamer. :smith:

That's the best part of videogames, though. Videogames are only interesting in terms of design. If you're just playing them for mindless abrogation then that's a really sad way to burn your time :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nidhogg, Blacklist and TGOL are all steals for that price. Thief is pretty okay at that price.

Caveat: Nidhoggg is not a good internet multiplayer game, you need local friends.

corn in the bible posted:

That's the best part of videogames, though. Videogames are only interesting in terms of design. If you're just playing them for mindless abrogation then that's a really sad way to burn your time :(

Don't get me wrong you're one hundred percent correct, and it's not that I didn't examine the systems before it's just that I didn't let such examinations color things I once liked/previously enjoyed. Old agePerspective and cynicism are a great combination to ruin everything you thought you liked.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 20, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

Nidhogg, Blacklist and TGOL are all steals for that price. Thief is pretty okay at that price.

Caveat: Nidhoggg is not a good internet multiplayer game, you need local friends.

Blacklist is certainly a steal, but it is not a Steam key. That may turn a few people off the deal.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Orv posted:

One of these days someone will make a sandbox game with a decent story. One of these days.

Witcher 3? (Hopefully)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Witcher 3? (Hopefully)

I am all out of hopes and dreams for AAA releases before the year is even over, I don't know what I'll do come Witcher 3.

Be mad at the combat probably.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Morter posted:

Sleeping Dogs is a great game, but a terrible sandbox game. The flow of the story was great but there was nothing compelling me to do anything outside of the missions other than hear the pork bun guy berate me for not having a pork bun in my hand.

Clearly you forgot Sleeping Dogs is BE A DICK TO EVERYONE THE GAME.

I will never stop abusing my ways of the law and every pedestrian will get hit by the door of my car.

Every.

Time.

:colbert:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Sw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Blacklist is certainly a steal, but it is not a Steam key. That may turn a few people off the deal.
FWIW, the only reason to buy uPlay games on Steam is to have the Steam overlay and track achievements, because the games require uPlay to launch either way. You could add it as a non-Steam game and have almost the same level of functionality. Some Ubisoft games don't even have Steam trading cards (at least Black Flag and Blacklist don't).

If uPlay ever gets deactivated or shut down, you'll lose access to those games regardless of whether you bought them on Steam or straight from Ubisoft.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

FWIW, the only reason to buy uPlay games on Steam is to have the Steam overlay and track achievements, because the games require uPlay to launch either way. You could add it as a non-Steam game and have almost the same level of functionality. Some Ubisoft games don't even have Steam trading cards (at least Black Flag and Blacklist don't).

If uPlay ever gets deactivated or shut down, you'll lose access to those games regardless of whether you bought them on Steam or straight from Ubisoft.

Also to substitute uplay's crappy patching procedure with steam's own.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That probably does affect a lot of people but since I usually play games straight through and don't return to them it doesn't affect me much.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So I bought Roundabout because I loved Kuru Kuru Kururin but...it runs like poo poo on my machine? This isn't the newest PC but I played AC IV, Blacklist, Tomb Raider on this but a title that looks like a mobile game is unplayable. Oh well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shindragon posted:

Seriously, nobody loving like the story of Far Cry 3. The ending just solidified that.

The bad ending is probably the most hilariously stupid thing ever. Yeah silt everyone's throats and get a POV of loving that tribe girl and then you get stabbed because the writer wants you to feel bad!

Ahahahaha oh my God that sounds awful. Yeah I took I guess what you would call the "good" ending because I honestly couldn't see how anyone would choose the other option.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's dumb as gently caress. Additionally dumb is if you own the steam version you won't be able to play multiplayer! Luckily my first copy was physical and my steam copy came from a cool goon who handed the code to me on steam.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I took I guess what you would call the "good" ending because I honestly couldn't see how anyone would choose the other option.

The term is "morbid curiosity."

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Did anything good come out recently that would run on an old laptop? Stuck in the alps and dying of boredom...

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Orv posted:

As someone who cannot fighting game to save his life, Injustice has been my drowning mans bouy of fighting games.

Divekick is that game for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

how me a frog posted:

Did anything good come out recently that would run on an old laptop? Stuck in the alps and dying of boredom...

Nothing new and good really. The Fallout Collection is on sale today. :v:

Runers is a good roguelite game. Age of Wonders 1, 2 and SM are on sale today, great TBS games. Desperados is Commandos Wild West.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Also to substitute uplay's crappy patching procedure with steam's own.

Also to remember I actually own the game! When I restart my computer my first thought is never "Oh yeah, I should fire up uPlay."

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

I think the artist *is* a woman.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Orv posted:

Nothing new and good really. The Fallout Collection is on sale today. :v:

Runers is a good roguelite game. Age of Wonders 1, 2 and SM are on sale today, great TBS games. Desperados is Commandos Wild West.

Thanks, I'm really looking for something new though, I have played all the old games I care to play. Or does Age of Wonders do something fundamentally different than the previous ones? I am super burned out on that series, it'd need to make some vast improvements to be interesting again.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KoldPT posted:

I think the artist *is* a woman.

There's a video of one if the devs trying to pick up women irl

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

how me a frog posted:

crypt of the necrodancer, shovel knight

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Orv posted:

Runers is a good roguelite game.
runers did not run well on my old laptop

Orv
May 4, 2011

how me a frog posted:

Thanks, I'm really looking for something new though, I have played all the old games I care to play. Or does Age of Wonders do something fundamentally different than the previous ones? I am super burned out on that series, it'd need to make some vast improvements to be interesting again.

Not sure what you mean with Age of Wonders.

If you must have something new, Heavy Bullets is a very serviceable FPS roguelike. Endless Legend is a new TBS game from the Endless Space people, and can be played zoomed out to cloth map mode like this. Minimum is a graphically undemanding third person MOBA... thing that I really enjoy but have no idea why I do. Multiplayer only though.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Tomb Raider has been pretty great until the Solarii Fort area. Is the rest of the game going to be this string of cinematic, run through a linear path with explosions, and then fight a bunch of enemies that spawn based on my movement?

Also does it do the Arkham thing where after I beat the game I can still keep playing to look around for stuff? I like the looking for stuff part of this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes and yes.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

how me a frog posted:

It depends on the laptop. I just got wasteland 2 and it runs on mine well enough. Seconding Shovel Knight, great old school platformer (think original castlevania). If you like jrpgs, Tales in The Sky was released earler.

Divinity ORiginal Sin if your laptop can run Wasteland 2 is old school isometric rpg gaming.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I got flatOut: Ultimate Carnage which uses gfwl. I know gfwl is dead, but because of that I can't seem to create a profile and therefore can never save the game.

Am I doing something wrong?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Palpek posted:

Yeah, Red Dead Redemption not only has the best story in a sandbox game but is also the best sandbox game ever made.

It really isn't. There is way too much padding with pointless open world racing missions and the like. Even the substantive missions are all hold A to follow horse man as he talks and then shoot a few guys. Plus the stuff to do outside of missions is lame Rockstar side stuff like horseshoes and poker which contain way too many extraneous animations and thus go on way too long to be enjoyable. Plus just dicking around isn't all that fun either since the bounty mechanic makes shooting up the joint have more lasting consequences than they should.

It isn't the best Rockstar game (Bully) and it sure as heck isn't the best sandbox game (Sleeping Dogs). It's pretty good, but its mechanics have definitely aged and it goes on way too long.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Orv posted:

Not sure what you mean with Age of Wonders.

If you must have something new, Heavy Bullets is a very serviceable FPS roguelike. Endless Legend is a new TBS game from the Endless Space people, and can be played zoomed out to cloth map mode like this. Minimum is a graphically undemanding third person MOBA... thing that I really enjoy but have no idea why I do. Multiplayer only though.

I mean that age of wonders 2 in my opinion was just age of wonders with more age of wonders stuff. If age of wonders 3 is just age of wonders 3 with more age of wonders stuff then the difference is not significant enough for me to care about. That Endless Legend looks nice and Endless Space is one of my favoritest games. I will check that one out, merci bien.

My laptop is a ~6 year old macbook with windows running on it. Dota 2 doesn't run on it, hence my quandary. Starbound also doesn't run properly on it, although I'm not sure if that is my laptop's fault or if the game is just super poorly optimized.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Palpek posted:

So I bought Roundabout because I loved Kuru Kuru Kururin but...it runs like poo poo on my machine? This isn't the newest PC but I played AC IV, Blacklist, Tomb Raider on this but a title that looks like a mobile game is unplayable. Oh well.

Oh no! I'm super sorry to hear you're having problems running Roundabout! Could I ask you to generate a dxdiag and email it to ohnogeorgio at nogoblin dot com ? We want to see if there's any way we can help get it running better for you!

(Also I tried to pm you but your pm box is full!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Harminoff posted:

So I got flatOut: Ultimate Carnage which uses gfwl. I know gfwl is dead, but because of that I can't seem to create a profile and therefore can never save the game.

Am I doing something wrong?

It's not dead, MS never shut it down. Try uninstalling GFWL and downloading it from the MS website and re-installing it.

• Locked thread