Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

potatocubed posted:

Am I being an idiot or is there no pdf-only option?
No, you're reading it right. The idea is that the lowest not-just-a-donation pledge level has a POD code as a freebie, which you can use or ignore as you see fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Backed Spectaculars. Very very curious about the modularity. Dusk City required fudging to make combat faster, but the SH genre thrives on it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No comment on this game itself, it looks like your typical miniatures extravaganza boardgame kickstarter and is probably cool and good, but the video is pretty hilarious. Skip to 2:10 to hear some dude talk about Dvergars gathering crystal to unlock powers in a dramatic "in a world" voice for minutes on end.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/the-edge-dawnfall-v16?ref=discovery

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good Lord, that thing has raise over three-quarters of a million dollars and if it's people's things then go with God, but man I just sit there going "I'll just play HeroQuest, thank you."

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

No comment on this game itself, it looks like your typical miniatures extravaganza boardgame kickstarter and is probably cool and good, but the video is pretty hilarious. Skip to 2:10 to hear some dude talk about Dvergars gathering crystal to unlock powers in a dramatic "in a world" voice for minutes on end.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/the-edge-dawnfall-v16?ref=discovery

Dawgstar posted:

Good Lord, that thing has raise over three-quarters of a million dollars and if it's people's things then go with God, but man I just sit there going "I'll just play HeroQuest, thank you."

This is their second version of this, so people have been jumpign on this for FOMO like mad.

They also did Lords of Hellas and Nemesis which goons were kinda split on with them being super heavy on minis.

They also did This War of Mine, so they've had a pretty good track record so far.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
That's a pretty impressive boadgame Kicstarter.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lords of Hellas is certainly better than your typical minis-fest. The mechanics are much more interesting than Zombiecide or other mini-heavy games. But I still won't recommend Lords of Hellas, because Kemet exists as a superior alternative.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

kinkouin posted:

This is their second version of this, so people have been jumpign on this for FOMO like mad.

They also did Lords of Hellas and Nemesis which goons were kinda split on with them being super heavy on minis.

They also did This War of Mine, so they've had a pretty good track record so far.

Also, the minimum pledge (if you weren't a backer last time around, at least) is around $225. So, yeah.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
What's the thread view on Cloudspire?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Hope it’s fun!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The Judge Dredd 2300AD kickstarter from the OLD IS NEW folks finished, and we already have the PDF links. Kinda shocking.

However, one thing that kinda worries me is they sent the links as a mass message to everyone of certain tiers of an RPGNow discount link to get things free. I don't think mass messages like that can be personalized, so for the folks who ran the kickstarter's sake I'm hoping I was wrong, because if not, one person sharing their link could lead to hundreds of "Free", "Legal" copies. (note the "")

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The Moon Monster posted:

My first question for big miniatures games like that one is "are there any female characters that aren't just an excuse to put giant tits on the models"?

Failed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SirFozzie posted:

The Judge Dredd 2300AD kickstarter from the OLD IS NEW folks finished, and we already have the PDF links. Kinda shocking.

However, one thing that kinda worries me is they sent the links as a mass message to everyone of certain tiers of an RPGNow discount link to get things free. I don't think mass messages like that can be personalized, so for the folks who ran the kickstarter's sake I'm hoping I was wrong, because if not, one person sharing their link could lead to hundreds of "Free", "Legal" copies. (note the "")
This is par for the course for EN Publishing.

I dropped my OLD/NEW pledge to a dollar for some reason I can't remember, and nevertheless received the entire product line.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

golden bubble posted:

Lords of Hellas is certainly better than your typical minis-fest. The mechanics are much more interesting than Zombiecide or other mini-heavy games. But I still won't recommend Lords of Hellas, because Kemet exists as a superior alternative.

kinkouin posted:

I'm still waiting to receive anything for Lords of Hellas (I had the all-in pledge for 1 shipment), so I'm a bit wary of backing anything mini-related when I haven't gotten the previous game from them after a long time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SirFozzie posted:

It's also got large black squares over chunks of the setting chapter, making them unreadable.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
New Kickstarter from Bad Squiddo Games is up. Relatively short one, but kinda neat - Onna-Bugeisha and the Women of Feudal Japan. They’re one of the few companies that make sensibly-dressed, realistic female miniatures, and I’m personally a big fan of their work.

Definitely a bit niche thanks to the genre, but I was working on a project these would be pretty much perfect for, and it’s funded so no risk. If you want better options for female miniatures, they’re great people to support, plus they know Kickstarter and have delivered on similar, much larger campaigns.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I'm still waiting to receive anything for Lords of Hellas (I had the all-in pledge for 1 shipment), so I'm a bit wary of backing anything mini-related when I haven't gotten the previous game from them after a long time.

Yeah, Awaken Realms are quickly making a name for themselves by having these gigantic, mini-heavy game campaigns that take much longer than expected to fulfill. I'm excited to get Lords of Hellas but it'll likely not ship out until next summer at the earliest.

Assuming they actually fulfill all of these campaigns, I think they're on track to become the next CMON, with the main difference being they'll actually take some risks with new themes and ideas for games alongside producing all the good looking plastic.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 26, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hedningen posted:

New Kickstarter from Bad Squiddo Games is up. Relatively short one, but kinda neat - Onna-Bugeisha and the Women of Feudal Japan. They’re one of the few companies that make sensibly-dressed, realistic female miniatures, and I’m personally a big fan of their work.

Definitely a bit niche thanks to the genre, but I was working on a project these would be pretty much perfect for, and it’s funded so no risk. If you want better options for female miniatures, they’re great people to support, plus they know Kickstarter and have delivered on similar, much larger campaigns.

I second this. We're nearly at unlocking the Noble Assistants miniatures. Check them out, they're majestic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Had a chance to peek at Black Pyramid: Traps of the Abyss by Balazs Nagy today. Interesting. Bought Christmas Tree while I was there and that is good. Between him and Atilla Szogyi Hungary is fast turning into a country I look for designers from.

Kickstarter is due 2019 from Clevergreen Games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wolfsbane posted:

My first question for big miniatures games like that one is "are there any female characters that aren't just an excuse to put giant tits on the models"?

Failed.

You can't know that those tiny spider creatures aren't female!

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

What's the thread view on Cloudspire?

I've played a lot of one of their previous games, Too Many Bones. I've found that game to be extremely good, with a really satisfying amount of depth and decision making. However, the game has weaknesses around the variability and randomness of the different encounters, some being substantially more difficult than others. I think this is partly a result of the designers being hugely ambitious with the amount of variety and diversity they wanted to include in the game. While this has never been a problem for us since TMB is a co-op game, I would be cautious about a game like Cloudspire where it seems like getting the balance right would be absolutely crucial. My experience with TMB just makes me a bit skeptical that they can pull it off.

Maybe someone with experience of their other competitive games like Hoplomachus can comment on the balance?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Our first big expansion is funded!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/americana-1
This the super sentai twist on the setting I talked about before - you and your team are the chosen ones, granted powerful suits and robots to fight the evil space nazi dictator, here after the Werewolves beat him up on his own planet. We also opened some new rewards, one where you can have your own personalized Magic Force fighter designed for the book.

It was really touch and go with this, and we had kind of a on-off-on week, lots of big pledges canceled, then some more backed, and so on, but its a HUGE relief to have this cleared, I'm SO hyped to write this game. There's an update in the campaign that goes into more of the nitty-gritty of what's involved but you really only need the two pictures in this post to get an idea.

I'm skeptical we'll make the cold war spies level, but hey, maybe. 5 days left!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Our first big expansion is funded!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/americana-1
This the super sentai twist on the setting I talked about before - you and your team are the chosen ones, granted powerful suits and robots to fight the evil space nazi dictator, here after the Werewolves beat him up on his own planet. We also opened some new rewards, one where you can have your own personalized Magic Force fighter designed for the book.

It was really touch and go with this, and we had kind of a on-off-on week, lots of big pledges canceled, then some more backed, and so on, but its a HUGE relief to have this cleared, I'm SO hyped to write this game. There's an update in the campaign that goes into more of the nitty-gritty of what's involved but you really only need the two pictures in this post to get an idea.

I'm skeptical we'll make the cold war spies level, but hey, maybe. 5 days left!

I'm hoping you guys hit the 10K mark so you don't have to take a pay cut to do the sentai add on.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I'm hoping you guys hit the 10K mark so you don't have to take a pay cut to do the sentai add on.

We're pretty close already, and I think the new reward tier will appeal to all the Tokusatsu nerds we have watching the project rn, especially now that it's open before the 48hr email goes out.

I've made this stuff for functionally free for a long time, it's kind of a novelty to even have a budget these days

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SirFozzie posted:

You can actually set the number of discounted copies allowed from those links to prevent rampant abuse.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Right, but let's say someone already has spread it 200 times,. then legitimate folks risk getting locked out. Still a massive pain in the rear end to resissue discount codes etcetera.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SirFozzie posted:

Right, but let's say someone already has spread it 200 times,. then legitimate folks risk getting locked out. Still a massive pain in the rear end to resissue discount codes etcetera.

I think that stealing RPG pdfs is easy enough that there is no sense in worrying about it too much. The people who care will choose to support you regardless.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

Chubbs posted:

Yeah, Awaken Realms are quickly making a name for themselves by having these gigantic, mini-heavy game campaigns that take much longer than expected to fulfill. I'm excited to get Lords of Hellas but it'll likely not ship out until next summer at the earliest.

Assuming they actually fulfill all of these campaigns, I think they're on track to become the next CMON, with the main difference being they'll actually take some risks with new themes and ideas for games alongside producing all the good looking plastic.

In the same boat, but I think I may still go all-in on this one. I'm wary but as with most Kickstarters, its money I feel I can afford to spend; there are some REALLY butthurt people who got slighted because they dont really follow that rule.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Thanks, came here to plug my thing to find people already saying nice things...am I on the right internet?

Back my thing! Thankoo!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1512506318/onna-bugeisha-and-the-women-of-feudal-japan-28mm-m/

TheDiceBagLady fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 27, 2018

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The doggo minis I have linked around because they are *glorious*. I wish I had money to back anything right now though.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Thanks, came here to plug my thing to find people already saying nice things...am I on the right internet?

Back my thing! Thankoo!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1512506318/onna-bugeisha-and-the-women-of-feudal-japan-28mm-m/

The dogs are amazing, as are all the other minis.

By the way, if I’d like to use some of your company’s minis in a published rulebook, what’s the best way to get that permission and draw it up? Manufacturer-agnostic design is fun, but credit and rights processes is always enough of a hassle that it’s best to plan ahead.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

Hedningen posted:

The dogs are amazing, as are all the other minis.

By the way, if I’d like to use some of your company’s minis in a published rulebook, what’s the best way to get that permission and draw it up? Manufacturer-agnostic design is fun, but credit and rights processes is always enough of a hassle that it’s best to plan ahead.

Thank you!
Just email me, and anyone else you'd be interested in using. Apart from the biguns (GW etc) people are pretty chill.

Put in the email what exactly you'll be using the images for (ie book fillers, examples of stuff etc - or more involved like stating up those specific figures), the more info the better!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1958666096/battlemonsters-the-miniatures-game

:thunk:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ah, of course, batmon

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I assume they're going for 'protected speech, as parody' but also I could happily go the rest of my life without seeing another 'realistic' design for a Pokémon so I feel great ill will towards this project.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Those look hugely awful, like who the gently caress would actually want to pay money for those.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

I assume they're going for 'protected speech, as parody' but also I could happily go the rest of my life without seeing another 'realistic' design for a Pokémon so I feel great ill will towards this project.

They look 'realistic' to you? :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If someone's cat looks like that, call animal control.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
what do you think the scare quotes signify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Play Sword & Sorcery prologue today. Wow, I really love this game. See they have another KS starting on the 5th of November, will probably go all-in on that.