Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Young Freud posted:

Looking into it, the DJI Phantom quadcopter has a max flight ceiling of 6km sea level, but it's capped in software to about 120m (400 feet) off launch height, so theoretically, you can take off from a higher location like a tower or a mountain and get some altitude over the rest. I'm not sure about the technicals on how to clear the 120m cap, because that's largely put in for FAA compliance, but it's done regularly enough. However it looks like you start running into issue at the 800m-1km altitude

It's weird seeing the Leopard IIs without their applique armor. They started adding this wedged add-on armors with the 2A5 to 2A7...

The recent 2A8/2NG/2SG looks a bit more boxy, but supposedly the new add-ons are Advanced Modular Armor Protection - additional composite armor.

I really have to wonder why Turkey is sending these out, since I believe they have access to the applique armor add-ons.

Turkey has their own domestic armor package for the Leopard 2 and they might have taken the armor off to transport more units. The armor packages are quite bulky and aren't doing anything except making the train's load heavier and possibly reducing the cargo by a unit or two due to the added length.

If they have to go through a tunnel for whatever reason its also an added hazard, since they are already wider than the cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Laurenz posted:

That curly red-head kid looks so out of place in Syria

Syrians generally look similar to Italians and Spaniards, but RED hair?

There was a huge and burgeoning slave trade shipping people from Russia/Ukraine into the Ottoman Empire for centuries, resulting in a blonde-haired, blue-eyed Sultan of Egypt at one point. As the Russian Empire expanded, more recently there's been huge migrations of Muslims from the Caucuses and other Russian territory into Syria (they are sometimes referred to as Circassians).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Malleum posted:

If they have to go through a tunnel for whatever reason its also an added hazard, since they are already wider than the cars.

Might have helped splortch a (pro-Erdogan) protester or two as well.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Sinteres posted:

Even a limited embrace of takfir by officials in probably the most influential Islamic country in the world seems like a pretty big deal to me. If nothing else, it shows how the chaos and warfare in the region is legitimizing the rhetoric of fanatics which was considered hugely taboo even a few years ago.

The Saudi state was founded on the principal that literally all other Muslims in the world were polytheistic heathens worthy of death. If anything they've moderated a ton because the only thing they love more than butchery is money.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Malleum posted:

Turkey has their own domestic armor package for the Leopard 2 and they might have taken the armor off to transport more units. The armor packages are quite bulky and aren't doing anything except making the train's load heavier and possibly reducing the cargo by a unit or two due to the added length.

Well hopefully they don't forget to put the armor package on when they are going to Raqa (if they follow up with what they claim they are going to do)

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Sergg posted:

There was a huge and burgeoning slave trade shipping people from Russia/Ukraine into the Ottoman Empire for centuries, resulting in a blonde-haired, blue-eyed Sultan of Egypt at one point. As the Russian Empire expanded, more recently there's been huge migrations of Muslims from the Caucuses and other Russian territory into Syria (they are sometimes referred to as Circassians).

And there's actually been some interesting work looking at how the Viking raiders supplied this trade in part.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/12/151228-vikings-slaves-thralls-norse-scandinavia-archaeology/

I've known two Syrians with red hair - both were Christian but I doubt I've met a representative sample of non-Christian non-Sunni to say whether that's a trend.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ethnic lines are drawn socially and religiously. That being said, people from ethnic groups in close proximity, even if those ethnic groups absolutely hate each other, gently caress and have children.

What's weird to me is that my vision of the Middle East, especially from the people I've met from there, is brown hair, brown eyes, brown skin. It's kind of jarring to see red-haired, blue-eyed Syrians because it blows that vision out of the water.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Islamic State: Turkey and US 'ready to invade capital'

quote:

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has suggested he and the US are ready to drive so-called Islamic State (IS) from its Syrian stronghold of Raqqa.
Mr Erdogan said US counterpart Barack Obama floated the idea of joint action against the militants when they met at the G20 meeting in China.
He said Turkey would have "no problem" with such action.

Joint action would be a positive development, given all the recent unpleasantness. The details (i.e. who does the fighting on the ground) should be interesting.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Islamic State: Turkey and US 'ready to invade capital'

Joint action would be a positive development, given all the recent unpleasantness. The details (i.e. who does the fighting on the ground) should be interesting.

Indeed
https://twitter.com/ryanmofarrell/status/773350188626878464

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Video of Turkish M60s (??) running into ISIS ATGMs
https://twitter.com/AhmadAlkhtiib/status/773501242970628097

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

drat. First one gets hit, brews up and the other vehicles just keep pottering around slowly then boom, catastrophic kill on another that was just sat round.

Armchair lieutenanting here, but if your armoured unit starts taking fire would it not be best to move around a bit, start hosing possible firing points down or withdraw? The other units seemed to be shuffling round awkwardly like teens at a dance.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DesperateDan posted:

drat. First one gets hit, brews up and the other vehicles just keep pottering around slowly then boom, catastrophic kill on another that was just sat round.

Armchair lieutenanting here, but if your armoured unit starts taking fire would it not be best to move around a bit, start hosing possible firing points down or withdraw? The other units seemed to be shuffling round awkwardly like teens at a dance.

Yep, but first, you would pop smoke the moment you're under enemy fire.

And it looks like they're buttoned up for some reason in open terrain, which means they're likely not going to see ATGMs coming in from the horizon or spot their launch locations to start suppressive fires. Snipers can be a problem but, on open terrain like here, there's very limited areas to hide or hunker down when armor starts opening up.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Acronym transalation:
HASI is Harakat Ahrar al-Sham al-Islamiyya aka Ahrar al-Sham
JFS is Jabhat Fateh al-Sham aka the artist formerly known as Jabhat al Nusra (joke stolen from earlier in this thread)
FSA is whatever parts of the Free Syrian Army still exist in any notable capacity

News from the Jarablus area:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/51lyeb/jarablus_and_surrounding_areas_captured_by_fsa/
https://twitter.com/anadoluajansi/status/773542282117148672

translation posted:

Jarablus and surrounding areas captured by FSA are connected to Turkish electrical grid. Electricity will be provided from Turkey.
Electricity is going to start being supplied on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/773416132787208193

quote:

#EuphratesShield: this area is now declared a military zone for the upcoming Battle of Al-Bab.
I'll let the guys on reddit explain the map in an amusing manner:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/51k26r/euphrates_shield_this_area_is_now_declared_a/

quote:

ButISentYouATelegram:
Yes. It could be "we're going to chip off that little bit of your territory to make it neater for us. If you have any foreign troops there you won't be able to say you weren't warned."
It includes hardly any territory around al-Bab itself for an assault, so I'm inclined to believe it's more something like that.

SolidGold54:
Indeed. This is exactly how I characterized it in my head. I was thinking it was like how in middle school one kid would swing his arm around wildly and if people got in the way and got hit it was "their fault."

ButISentYouATelegram:
Haha. It's funny, I'm the same. Trying to interpret nations in the news using basic schoolyard psychology.
It's a little simplistic, but yeah that's basically what the rebels seem to be doing, they're preemptively saying it's the SDF's own fault if they don't retreat from that little salient.

The SAA has been pushing on multiple places in Aleppo, and it appears the rebels are finally pushing back:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/51m5sr/fatah_halab_begins_shelling_of_castello_road_in/
Fatah Halab begins shelling of Castello Road, in preparation of cutting it. We'll see if they can actually take Castello road again.

Finally, some sad news:
https://twitter.com/sergermedx/status/773513370494468096

quote:

FSA killed the last surgeon in Shex maqsod. He was arab from Der Ezor & treated wounded kurdish civilians & fighters
:smith:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DesperateDan posted:

Israelis had a lot of headache with Egyptian ATGMs in 1973 and developed so called Sagger drill. A requisite part is that you notice the launch in time so you can pop smoke, zoom into cover or zig zag and fire HE in the general direction - you're unlikely to hit the operator but just making him flinch can be enough to throw off his aim. Plus at least in theory it's possible for shell fragments to cut the guidance wire, but that's really unlikely. But it's easier said than done, enemy might not be where you think he is and it's not easy to tell a missile launch several kilometers away from random dust blown by the desert wind.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Is anyone surprised the Israeli response would be to start wildly firing in whatever direction they suspect they might be under attack from?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A White Guy posted:

Ethnic lines are drawn socially and religiously. That being said, people from ethnic groups in close proximity, even if those ethnic groups absolutely hate each other, gently caress and have children.

What's weird to me is that my vision of the Middle East, especially from the people I've met from there, is brown hair, brown eyes, brown skin. It's kind of jarring to see red-haired, blue-eyed Syrians because it blows that vision out of the water.

In addition to what's been said already about Russians and Circassians and co, keep in mind that Syria and Lebanon had a lot of European knights coming around and creating their little kingdoms as part of the Crusades. Things like the Krak des Chevaliers, despite the damage it received during this conflict, are a testimony to this partly European heritage.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Is anyone surprised the Israeli response would be to start wildly firing in whatever direction they suspect they might be under attack from?

Trying to suppress what you think is the position you're taking accurate and extremely lethal fire from is not an invention of the cowardly and murderous Jew you loving moron.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

aphid_licker posted:

Trying to suppress what you think is the position you're taking accurate and extremely lethal fire from is not an invention of the cowardly and murderous Jew you loving moron.

:captainpop:

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
To be fair my second instinctual response to an attack from an attacker I couldn't quite see but had an idea where they were at would be wildly counterattacking wherever I thought they were at.

My first response would be flee screaming and never get involved in a fight with tanks and missiles again if I could help it. But that is not probably a response a professional military force would want to encourage.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

What a disproportionate response to that post :haw:

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

aphid_licker posted:

He's a loving moron? You're the one conflating lack of confidence in Israeli armed forces with anti-semitism you loving retard.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, pro-Regime forces at this point are as exhausted as the rebels and while Tiger forces moved into the Artillery college, they now going to be forced to sit there because of how strategic that base is. Furthermore, the relative success of the Hama offensive also shows that regime forces in the countryside (mostly militias at this point) are thinning out. That said, it is also clear the Aleppo breakout also cost the Rebels a lot of men (more than the regime at least) and material, while the regime is most likely going to be able to recover some of the vehicles (BMPs mostly) knocked out in the assault.

I assume that the men being sent to attack the base from the north (the infamous death wall) were essentially cannon fodder being used to hold attention of the defenders while Tiger Forces took the hills overlooking the base and eventually assaulted it from the south. This also allowed the Regime and the Russians to hammer and anvil the forces inside the base.

That said, for the rebels, the encirclement of Eastern Aleppo is a genuine and possibly decisive setback. I guess we will see if the rebels have enough deep reserves to launch another massive offensive (I believe the last offensive was the biggest of the war).

Yeah, while people were watching and wondering what was wrong with the SAA with the death wall, I was thinking it reminded of me of what I've saw in Libya re using low trained recuirts to act as bait and ascertain where the enemy forces are by more elite troops. The excellent Fractrured Lands piece in the NYtimes goes into this from the view of the bait.

Also this is happening

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/773610568104157184

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This may be happening too. I really hope it's not though.

https://twitter.com/mutludc/status/773612917421907968

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I sure as hell hope there is some sort of US attempt at creating a ceasefire between their two supposed allies, or this is going to turn into a cluster gently caress.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

going to turn into a cluster gently caress.

"going to"

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Gammymajams posted:

He's a loving moron? You're the one conflating lack of confidence in Israeli armed forces with anti-semitism you loving retard.
Sagger Drills weren't just some Israeli PR tool to explain away civilian casualties. It was a tactic used to defeat ATGMs in an active war zone during a conflict between uniformed armies. After the '73 war Sagger Drill was adopted by a number of NATO countries and remained in use for many years. (Here's a cool review of an awesome video game that explicitly mentions the Sagger Drill.)

Claiming that the use of Sagger Drill should indicate a "lack of confidence" in the IDF is stupid. Insinuating that "it's typical Israeli behavior to shoot wildly at where you think an enemy is" in the context of the '73 war is stupid. Orange Devil's post was stupid.

You can poo poo over modern Israel all you want. You'd have some good justification for doing so! But viewing all Israeli actions through the filter of "these guys are incompetent war criminals" seems rather anti-Semitic. (And besides, there's a separate thread for that.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

aphid_licker posted:

Heck, MIGF may have a point that Israel is pretty American. :v:

My probable favorite World War One joke: If you're in the middle of nowhere and got turned around and you see a fortified position and you're not sure if it's friendly, pop off a couple rounds at it. If they return fire with small arms, they're British. If they open up with a machine gun, they're German. If nothing at all happens, start running like hell, because they're American and everything within a hundred yards of you is about to be vaporized by artillery.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, while people were watching and wondering what was wrong with the SAA with the death wall, I was thinking it reminded of me of what I've saw in Libya re using low trained recuirts to act as bait and ascertain where the enemy forces are by more elite troops. The excellent Fractrured Lands piece in the NYtimes goes into this from the view of the bait.

Granted this war is basically a meatgrinder, but I was under the impression both sides are kind of hurting for any warm bodies at this point. So if you have stuff like air superiority you would think basic drone recon and/or blowing the crap out of any cover that was not on your side would be more cost effective than tossing away yet more lives. Unless the regime and company are actually lower on drones, airplanes, and bombs than they actually are on basic conscripts still. Or they just do not care.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, while people were watching and wondering what was wrong with the SAA with the death wall, I was thinking it reminded of me of what I've saw in Libya re using low trained recuirts to act as bait and ascertain where the enemy forces are by more elite troops.

Except they kept sending troops and valuable armoured vehicles into the kill zone for weeks, and never made any attempt to so much as force the ATGM team to move, nevermind eliminate them. Even after they took the Colleges and fighting there was over, the ATGM team were landing hits on their rear/flank from the exact same spot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey I'm not saying its a smart plan, but the lack of care towards men is a thing seen by elite troops in Iraq, Syria, and Libya.

The armored vehicle thing literally punctures this a bit though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

In addition to what's been said already about Russians and Circassians and co, keep in mind that Syria and Lebanon had a lot of European knights coming around and creating their little kingdoms as part of the Crusades. Things like the Krak des Chevaliers, despite the damage it received during this conflict, are a testimony to this partly European heritage.

The number of Europeans who went to Outremer was always very small, it was never able to attract colonists like parts of Spain (French and Occitans) and the Balitc and Central-Eastern Europe (Germans), most of those who went came for military service, either as mercenaries, feudal retainers of some sort or as part of the military orders and again their number was nevery really big. Some of them did intermarry with locals, Greeks and Armenians and such, but again their numbers were not large enough nor was this recent enough to have had much of an impact whatsoever. In general though I would say that Syrians, Lebanese and Palestinians look very smilar to Greeks and Italians (or just people from the Mediterranean in general) and you can find red haired people and such among all the populations. For some reason alot of Jordanians seem to be alot darker, Israelis on the whole look very much like Palestinians (though you'll find a larger variety of different appearances among Israelis), and this is actually a thing that comes up on checkpoints and such in the West Bank and other places as its not always easy to tell who is an Israeli and who is a Palestinian if they aren't dressed very stereotypically, I've also met a couple of Palestinians who said they would sometimes pretend to be Italians (and had practiced an accent and a slight backstory of being tourists from Rome) when they were in no mood to deal with Israeli soldiers as Palestinians.

e: As for a migration from Europe that probably had an impact on part of the Middle East there was actually pretty substantial migration to Palestine in the first few centuries or so following adoption of Christianity by the Roman Empire, especially in periods when holy sites and such in cities there were patronized by Emperors, Empresses and other powerful official. There is testament to Jerusalem and other cities being true melting pots of different cultures, languages and traditions, though most likely most of these immigrants came from Greece and Asia Minor as those were the closest most heavily populated (particularly in the case of Asia Minor).

Sergg posted:

Most of the Egyptian Mamluks were recruited from Cumans from southern Russia and Ukraine, the one you're thinking of is probably Baibars, though that was before the time of the Ottoman Empire. The Mamluks always were outsiders though they were conscious of their heritage and actively promoted their own identity separate from the bulk of the Egyptian population who they saw as their inferiors (mostly that being a Mamluk was a far more honorable and prestigious social position than a peasant, merchant or any other class of people, Mamluks weren't really slaves other than that they were recruited as slaves), the Mamluk sultanate wasn't really hereditary, usually a Sultan would be chosen from among the Mamluks most of whom were brought from the areas previously mentioned (particularly by way of the Crimean Khanate, which raided Poland and Muscovy/Russia for slaves) later the Caucasus also became important.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 7, 2016

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Hey I'm not saying its a smart plan, but the lack of care towards men is a thing seen by elite troops in Iraq, Syria, and Libya.

The armored vehicle thing literally punctures this a bit though.

The issue about armor is a bit debatable, they were sending over were BMPs mostly which while still useful....aren't exactly heavy armor (it isn't like they were sacrificing T-90s). Also, it is unclear if the BMPs being "parked" were actual kills or just disabled ( or they simply didn't want to drive them across the kill zone to take a TOW/ATGM hit).

I think it shows more a callous disregard for their less trained infantry/conscripts than anything else. It is clear just by looking at that entire area that place is a death trap, there is no cover except from the base itself. Furthermore, The missiles themselves were probably coming from around the 1030 apartments area looking which is basically a bunch of concrete structures which gave them protection and a tremendous field of fire. They were basically thrown in there to secure the breach until a foothold in the case could be established and the regime or its allies didn't seem to want to send its trained forces or heavier armor to take it since they knew whoever was in one of the initial waves was going to be sacrificed.

As for why they didn't take out the 1030 apartments, I think they have been trying but the large concrete structures there are fairly resilient to airstrikes and the rebels there were well dug in. Also, I assume a ATGM team would pop out of basement or fortified position to take a shot then retreat which meant a bit of a whack a mole scenario.

I think there were better tactics out there, but I think it is clearer now what the deal going on there was.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 8, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

:drat:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Willie Tomg posted:

What a disproportionate response to that post :haw:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My probable favorite World War One joke: If you're in the middle of nowhere and got turned around and you see a fortified position and you're not sure if it's friendly, pop off a couple rounds at it. If they return fire with small arms, they're British. If they open up with a machine gun, they're German. If nothing at all happens, start running like hell, because they're American and everything within a hundred yards of you is about to be vaporized by artillery.

I'm disappointed the French do not feature in this joke.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 8, 2016

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Not wanting to be the least stupid candidate running for president of the United States after Jill Stein got herself a warrant out for her arrest, libertarian candidate Gary Johnson today asked what Aleppo is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03Asdb09fg

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I can't believe they found a candidate who's even less knowledgeable about foreign affairs than Trump. Good god.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
To be fair, most people would ask what Gary Johnson is

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orange Devil posted:

I'm disappointed the French do not feature in this joke.

That's because it's actually a WWII joke.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The New York Times and at least one other reporter correcting Johnson by saying Aleppo is the capital of the Islamic State is really funny in a sad way.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/773885134500139008

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

That's because it's actually a WWII joke.

:saddowns:

• Locked thread