Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

theres no way a british starship wouldn't just immediately explode

"There's something wrong with our bloody starships today"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

Vadic’s boss is Future Guy.
I will golf clap as hard as I can if they pulled that poo poo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

I did enjoy a plot element on Doctor Who at one point that when the sun got unstable and all the nations had to evacuate Earth, the Brits ran their project late and were the last off and then it turned out they'd hosed up building engines so it didn't work and they had to hitch it to a star whale that came by to help them because they screwed up so badly.

Also the Scots had made their own ship and left already.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

Vadic’s boss is Future Guy.

It would be some amazing poetic justice for Enterprise to ruin the "finale" of TNG

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FISHMANPET posted:

Really trying to understand how private engineering firms would still exist at this point, doing contract work for Starfleet. I understand how they could be subsumed as a division of Starfleet engineering with a certain degree of autonomy, but as a private enterprise I don't get it. Then again someone must be making private vehicles and ships for people, even if there's no money changing hands...
Plenty of private non-government organizations exist without a profit motive, shareholders, or needing to sell anything. One could describe the agreement entered into by an artistic collective to paint a mural or make a statue in a given public space as a "contract," at least in colloquial terms, even if they might call it something else at the time.

And if it works for a statue, why not a starship?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Not really any different than the Soviet OKBs, really. The state owned all of them, but they were "brands" that specialized and were known for types of products. Some even semi-competed against each other.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
maybe all the private enterprises (lol) are owned by the people that work there in star trek

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Beeftweeter posted:

that was to establish the breen as being more dangerous than the jem'hadar though, who were already shown to have been able to easily take out a galaxy class ship. if you follow the show's logic for the defiant class existing then the breen were also more dangerous than the borg

so in context i think it worked, plus i also don't think they really intended for the defiant to show up again outside of DS9. it doesn't really have the same reverence that an enterprise does, even among star trek fans (as far as i can tell, anyway)

It had the effect of making the Breen look effective but mostly fulfilling what was likely a Berman demand that Starfleet not have a cloaked ship by the end of the show.

The Dominion War is a good story at the things Star Trek is known for, since the ST universe never had a species so confident in their fascist fanaticism that they could not accept coexistence, and it prods the pacifist Roddentopia to finally fight like it's survival is on the line. At the same time, I feel like time and again they make the Jem'Hadar look like idiots and Federation itself seems to have no other defensive units besides the men in Starfleet jumpers that already populate the ships of these shows. The Jem'Hadar at least have the excuse that they see their own lives as secondary to following the orders of Changelings.

But the shields were useless against the weapons until suddenly they were until the Breen showed up and suddenly they weren't again. Season 7 of DS9 tries to take the kitchen sink approach to everything it can, and part of the reason to introduce the Breen is because they had made the Jem'Hadar look so bad the previous three years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the bigger mistake was having like 3 Jem'Hadar attack ships (the tiniest ones) taking out a Galaxy-class so early on. That set a pretty unreasonable standard going forward.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cross-Section posted:

On the bright side, his batshit rant here introduced me to this actually pretty-sick starship fanon account

Star Trek recruitment posters you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gwCmfLxIcw

SFD was the goon guild for Star Trek Online and The Old Republic.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Craptacular! posted:

It had the effect of making the Breen look effective but mostly fulfilling what was likely a Berman demand that Starfleet not have a cloaked ship by the end of the show.

The Dominion War is a good story at the things Star Trek is known for, since the ST universe never had a species so confident in their fascist fanaticism that they could not accept coexistence, and it prods the pacifist Roddentopia to finally fight like it's survival is on the line. At the same time, I feel like time and again they make the Jem'Hadar look like idiots and Federation itself seems to have no other defensive units besides the men in Starfleet jumpers that already populate the ships of these shows. The Jem'Hadar at least have the excuse that they see their own lives as secondary to following the orders of Changelings.

But the shields were useless against the weapons until suddenly they were until the Breen showed up and suddenly they weren't again. Season 7 of DS9 tries to take the kitchen sink approach to everything it can, and part of the reason to introduce the Breen is because they had made the Jem'Hadar look so bad the previous three years.

we do see other federation units though. the guy that bleeds out in front of jake in "...nor the battle to the strong" is some sort of ground unit, and i think some of the people we see in "the siege of ar-558" are of a similar type (though i'm not sure, they do have starfleet uniforms). ultimately it makes sense to me though, we're following a bunch of starfleet officers on a show about their travails — some aside following different units serving in some different organization might've been interesting, but that's not really the show

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

"the front fell off"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The gimmick should've been the opposite, ditch all the janky sprues and just go pure saucer for the close range space battles everyone insists on having. Actually I can't actually recall why they detached it at all and I can't remember ever seeing really either the saucer part in a cool battle, or the other part doing idk going faster or do scifi? Just them doing it once just to introduce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFR_ox1E49I

most appearances are entirely slow docking or undocking scenes. I take back the janky sprues comment, when they're not awkwardly jammed into the saucer the stardrive section looks pretty slick and the snake head looks better shooting a laser out.

they give one scene of the saucer part only and all it does it crash, boo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huqr3qIN3DI

Don't recall the oberth but good to know Saucer only TNG ship can beat it, unless the Oberth can fire a few dozen torpedos and constant phaser fire with no response from saucer.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 26, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

"the front fell off"

Honestly, they tilted the lip of the stardrive section's "head" up so that it was flat rather than having to conture to the curve of the saucer and just had it be it's own ship, it would actually be pretty cool looking just like that on its own.

I think they actually do that on Lower Decks, just have one of the background ships that's just "what if the Galaxy stardrive was just its own ship?"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There so many sub-plots in season 2 of Picard that I just don't care about. Jurati, the borg queen, the crews wacky adventures, Picards bumbling in the past, Guinan, they got Soon back for whatever reason?! And now they introduced a cop with alien encounter trauma.

Honestly the only part I enjoy is Q. John De Lancie is just incredibly charismatic. But otherwise it's a slog

Edit: The part were they teleported borgs into walls was cool though

McCloud fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 26, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I do have to say I was annoyed with one part of the most recent episode of Picard.

They go through this whole thing to get the cloaking device because they need it to rescue everyone they beamed aboard the station. They get it, they get to the station cloaked. They they are like "we have to decloak to transport." Huh? The LITERAL same cloaking device that you installed on the ship, the one that came from the HMS Bounty, was beaming people around left and right while the ship was cloaked when it was landed in the park in San Francisco. So then, what was the point of having the cloak? They showed up, cloaked, moved like 1000m, said they had to decloak to transport, did the ship strafing run to transport, and then warped away. How did the cloak help them in any way shape or form if they were only cloaked for a very short period.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 26, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
look, they read a summary of the movie before writing the episode. i mean, they saw it once in 1986 and then again on vhs in 1993: they're pretty sure they remember it :rolleyes:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

So is Picard like, ACTUALLY good in season 3 now, or is everyone still gaga over the gang getting back together
In my rankings I classify Picard S3 at the level Voyager and the TNG movies, it's not good, but it's not unwatchably bad and it is definitely a step above the previous seasons, mostly by virtue of the charisma of the old characters. Like Voyager and post-TNG TNG the characters aren't written consistently and the adherence to Trek technology rules is more namedropy than in-universe accurate, but it is at last advancing the story of 24th-century Trek past Nemesis and hasn't done anything I found absolutely egregious yet.

For example...

bull3964 posted:

I do have to say I was annoyed with one part of the most recent episode of Picard.

They go through this whole thing to get the cloaking device because they need it to rescue everyone they beamed aboard the station. They get it, they get to the station cloaked. They they are like "we have to decloak to transport." Huh? The LITERAL same cloaking device that you installed on the ship, the one that came from the HMS Bounty, was beaming people around left and right while the ship was cloaked when it was landed in the park in San Francisco. So then, what was the point of having the cloak? They showed up, cloaked, moved like 1000m, said they had to decloak to transport, did the shole strafing run to transport, and then warped away. How did the cloak help them in any way shape or form if they were only cloaked for a very short period.
Someone seems to have conflated not being able to shoot/shield while cloaked with not being able to beam while cloaked, which has never been a thing before. It can be justified away with something like the cloak was just jury-rigged onto the Titan so it wasn't configured correctly and they couldn't safely get a transporter beam through the cloaking field's emissions or whatever, but it's a perfect example of where it feels like someone came up with the idea that it would be cool to put in this weird callback to ST IV regardless of how clunky it'd come out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jesus Christ I know some of y'all have a Voyager hate boner but putting it on the same level as any season of Picard is hosed up and you know it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

Someone seems to have conflated not being able to shoot/shield while cloaked with not being able to beam while cloaked, which has never been a thing before. It can be justified away with something like the cloak was just jury-rigged onto the Titan so it wasn't configured correctly and they couldn't safely get a transporter beam through the cloaking field's emissions or whatever, but it's a perfect example of where it feels like someone came up with the idea that it would be cool to put in this weird callback to ST IV regardless of how clunky it'd come out.

Defiant couldn't beam while cloaked. It may just be Federation transporters don't have the necessary design.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

Defiant couldn't beam while cloaked. It may just be Federation transporters don't have the necessary design.

they're right though. it's not a federation cloaking device, the bounty is a klingon ship that was already shown to be beaming people all over SF while cloaked. similarly the defiant had a romulan cloaking device and the initial instruction to decloak before beaming comes from t'rul even

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

I’ve watched the DS9 Tribbles episode enough to know that beaming while cloaked was never an issue. The ship is cloaked the entire episode to not alert the past Enterprise or Klingons of a crazy futuristic ship suddenly appearing out of no where.

Plus… in Star Trek IV they do it while the ship is cloaked in Golden Gate park. A bunch.

I get that it’s hard to write for a show with 50+ years of continuity behind it but it feels like these guys are not even paying attention to the hits that they’re supposed to be writing memberberries of. So, like, pretty par for the course for this show.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 26, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
well, "Attachment" sure is a nothingburger of an episode

"jean-luc i didn't realize you were in love with me"
"maybe we should do something about it"
"nah"

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

jeeves posted:

I’ve watched the DS9 Tribbles episode enough to know that beaming while cloaked was never an issue. The ship is cloaked the entire episode to not alert the past Enterprise or Klingons of a crazy futuristic ship suddenly appearing out of no where.

They can only beam while the enterprise is shifting their scan cycle, then they decloak and beam around. Obrien explains it in the episode

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Picard and Data also beam down to Romulus from a cloaked vessel as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

There's a whole scene in that episode explaining that they're decloaking and recloaking during a gap in the Enterprise's sensor scan cycle in order to beam over. The Defiant being unable to beam while cloaked got used as a plot point quite a number of times over the course of the show.

I'm not saying nobody can beam while cloaked, but the Defiant definitely couldn't while a Bird of Prey definitely can.

It makes perfect sense to me that you might have to build transporters in a special way that accounts for the ship's cloak in order to be able to beam while cloaked. A Bird of Prey would of course be set up like that. Defiant, having the cloak added after the fact, would not. (And the Federation's lack of experience with cloaking might mean they don't even know how)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 26, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The technical nit is irrelevant because it is overshadowed by the narrative error.

They warp in, uncloaked. The literally show up in line of sight of EVERYTHING at the station (after establishing previously that the ships can all talk to each other). Then they cloak. They move slightly closer to the station, uncloak 27 seconds later are shown flying the length of the station for another 30 seconds all the while talking about beaming them on board until they finally do, then they warp away.

What was the point of the cloaking device again? How did it help them at all rescue the team? They literally just cloaked so they could have a bit of dialog.

Also, nevermind the fact that previously, when they first came to the station, they were able to park it BEHIND THE MOON and beam people over to the station, well out of harm's way. I guess you could technobabble that they had enhanced transport inhibitors or something that meant they had to be closer, but there were so many ways you could have written that scene to make the cloaking device an necessary item.

How about the cloak allowed them to dock at the station so they could be rescued without transporters? Maybe they got within feet of the station to transport and uncloaked at the last second to perform the transport?

It's not like they even had some sort of big space battle there either. Essentially, the people who wanted to have a reason for Picard to visit Geordi were in one room and the people who storyboarded the rescue sequence were in another. Then they got together and the storyboard people were like "but...we had these cool VFX of the Titan speeding along the station to pick them up. See, it's a callback to the E rescuing Picard in insurrection" and the space museum writers were like "but..cloaking device?" All the while the producers were tapping at their wristwatch and saying "no one cares, we just want to give them the nostalgia, move the narrative along."

They also never ONCE made any mention on if the cloaking device would shutdown whatever ship to ship communication link they talked about which is just going to be a macguffin for the finale.

I'm totally being suckered in by having all the cast there and the fanservice of the callbacks, but let's make no mistake that the writing has not improved one iota over past seasons. They are still writing a show about setpieces and loosely stringing them together rather than something that actually has any narrative cohesion.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 26, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dude, spoil Picard, this isn't the modern Trek thread where it's assumed to be seen..

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Picard and Data also beam down to Romulus from a cloaked vessel as well.

Data: Captain, it is impossible to use the transporter while cloaked.

Picard: not this week, Data! *winks*

Data: ah, I see.

*Data walks into the corner of the room and just stands there, staring at the wall*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

Dude, spoil Picard, this isn't the modern Trek thread where it's assumed to be seen..

Fine. I didn't think that was big deal since I left the major plot points out and others (including you) were talking about the cloak stuff openly.

As for the Defiant's cloak. The transport thing was probably more likely to be an engineered defect by the Romulans for that specific install so as to not give the Federation something more powerful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You don't need to spoil Picard episode events, but you also shouldn't post about Picard, least not outside of it's quarantine.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it gets a bit over looked but I've started my rewatch of DS9 and them starting off Season 2 with a 3 part episode arc is a bold loving move. Honestly am I wrong or is this the first 3 parter of Star Trek.

Anyway its drat good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

I think it gets a bit over looked but I've started my rewatch of DS9 and them starting off Season 2 with a 3 part episode arc is a bold loving move. Honestly am I wrong or is this the first 3 parter of Star Trek.

TNG's Family is essentially The Best of Both Worlds, Part 3.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Timby posted:

Yea I guess. I kind of always viewed it differently but it really kind of is the epilogue of Best of Both Worlds, however DS9 episodes actually end on cliffhangers twice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Yeah but The Circle the first (and only?) time you get Majel sayin “And now the continuation…”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Yeah but The Circle the first (and only?) time you get Majel sayin “And now the continuation…”

I believe she says that after the recap in A Time to Stand, right before it cuts to the smoldering fleet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Change of Heart" pisses me off because the whole time Worf and Dax have been together they've been miserable, constantly fighting and disagreeing, and you can't understand why they'd stay together. Then they do that episode and Worf is chill and cool and he and Dax get along great and work well together and the actors have great chemistry and I'm like WTF have they been doing this whole time. Also they should've killed Dax is this episode instead of Dark Wizard Dukat but idk if the decision had been made when they wrote it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

zoux posted:

Also they should've killed Dax is this episode instead of Dark Wizard Dukat but idk if the decision had been made when they wrote it.

Terry Farrell wanted to leave without being killed off, but when "Change of Heart" came around, she went to the producers and said, "if you are going to kill Jadzia, do it now, because you can do some great stuff with Worf's character for the rest of the show." But, of course, Rick Berman is a piece of poo poo and was already pissed at her for leaving, so he did insist she be killed off but refused to do it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somewhat chill Worf is such an improvement over his normal "constantly brooding and simmering Qonos Stan" too