Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If I'm pubbing an EXDR or something then sometimes I'll need Lucid even after Diversion (and I wait until I'm about to start my F4s which gives the tank even more time to build up threat) but that's because pub tanks are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

is Diversion not enough?

Diversion is more than enough unless your tank is a literal dps or straight up not pushing buttons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

Diversion is more than enough unless your tank is a literal dps or straight up not pushing buttons.

Yeah I'm probably just being paranoid because...

vOv posted:

If I'm pubbing an EXDR or something then sometimes I'll need Lucid even after Diversion (and I wait until I'm about to start my F4s which gives the tank even more time to build up threat) but that's because pub tanks are bad.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

amazeballs posted:

What is the deal with the PvP vendor that has the title of <Materia Provisioner> but doesn't actually sell any materia? Is that a legacy thing? From what I can tell my only options are glamour armors / weapons?

there used to be pvp-only materia that would give (honestly, very good) CC resistance. the materia is still in the game, but the materia literally no longer has an effect (pre-sb, the materia still had effects on it that would just never work). now it's just vendor trash if your retainer finds it.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

there used to be pvp-only materia that would give (honestly, very good) CC resistance. the materia is still in the game, but the materia literally no longer has an effect (pre-sb, the materia still had effects on it that would just never work). now it's just vendor trash if your retainer finds it.

Ohhh, maybe that's what that Treant Root Materia did. I completely forgot. I still have one. I'm hella keeping it for posterity.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My favorite one was the slow resist one, cactuar foot materia. What a good name for something no one used

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the only one that would really ever be worth using was sleep resist, because due to the insane durations of early sleeps it was the only one that would see meaningful gains. then I think they changed them to give flatter bonuses so sleep resist became useless and stun/heavy became good, and then people complained a lot about morale and the whole system got scrapped.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just hit 66 on whm and I want to make sure my instincts on divine benison are right:

--In raids/EXs, use it before tankbusters
--In big pulls, use it whenever you can, it's your best dump for lilies
--In easy bosses, never use it. Gotta get those sweet assize CD reductions

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

In easy bosses, never use it. Gotta get those sweet assize CD reductions

Depends on how easy. If it ends up saving you a GCD you're way ahead.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Interesting. For a second, I got really excited at the prospect of buying red VI materia with PvP currency. I also can't seem to find any benefit behind my PvP level. I assume that is legacy also?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I just hit 66 on whm and I want to make sure my instincts on divine benison are right:

If you're getting a lot of lilies against a dungeon boss someone is not doing well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Use it against the easy bosses too because that probably saves you at least one cooldown you can use for Stone instead.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell is an Honest Tank?

he just goes around slappin people all the dang time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

amazeballs posted:

Interesting. For a second, I got really excited at the prospect of buying red VI materia with PvP currency. I also can't seem to find any benefit behind my PvP level. I assume that is legacy also?
Used to be that PvP used the same skill sets as PvE with some minor balance changes plus like 8 extra PvP exclusive skills and leveling up PvP rank gave you skill points to buy traits to improve them. There was (maybe still is I haven' t looked?) gear that required a certain rank to wear also. Now rank is mostly just for achievements.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I finally got Marjorie to give a mild compliment on the second boss of Temple of the Fist while playing a black mage. I don't know if that means I'm a good black mage or a terrible astrologian.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There used to be PVP-specific materia that increased status effect resistances by a trivial amount, which probably didn't actually do anything meaningful.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

cheetah7071 posted:

Mash it immediately on every Cure2 to eat your drat lily and keep it on permanent cooldown. It's just a 15% shield.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UHD posted:

I finally got Marjorie to give a mild compliment on the second boss of Temple of the Fist while playing a black mage. I don't know if that means I'm a good black mage or a terrible astrologian.

You would know for sure, if you had a parser. *lowers sunglasses, winks*

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: wrong thread

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

UHD posted:

It's a party ranking, not individual.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eopia posted:

Oh really? Jesus, that explains so much.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“ImpAtom”" post="“474407151”"]
Oh really? Jesus, that explains so much.
[/quote]

these hecking honest tanks and healers are holding everyone back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have yet to beat "exactly average" on that drat boss :mad:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
In exactly one run ever I've seen her say "that was...actually quite good," or something like that. I think it must be related to how fast you beat the boss, because both dps in that run were absurdly on point.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

That one BLM run was "exactly average." Every other run I've done of that place she's been catty.

Eopia posted:

Yeah, I know. There's lots of variables there. It just got me thinking is all.

Countblanc posted:

You would know for sure, if you had a parser. *lowers sunglasses, winks*

Eh. It's pretty obvious to me when I do well and when I gently caress up BLM. Especially now that I'm 70 and letting Enochian drop has much larger consequences besides "can't Fire IV anymore."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Benison as soon as you have a lily on easy bosses. Damage taken that doesn't need to be healed is further opportunity to do damage. A 48s Assize CD is nice but it's rare enough to not bank on.

The second boss of The Fist is atrocious and should be deleted.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't wait for Bardam's Mettle (Hard).

I also think the postgame Pool of Tribute / Emanation should have been classified as (Hard), not (Extreme). They feel way more like Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Hard than G/T/I EX. It's a shame that we won't get to see a proper Extreme version of Susano and Lakshmi where the fight is pushed to its limits.

Lakshmi in particular I would have liked to see having to make dynamic decisions on which abilities to deliberately not-Vril based on how the fight is going, your team's capabilities, and whatnot, instead of "Pop Vril whenever you're targeted / Chanchala is up".

Susano is easily exacerbated, just have much more moving around. Double Storm markers! Stone jails can land on the other half of the field!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

cheetah7071 posted:

On anyone who recently died before a stack marker or party-wide damage.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I also think the postgame Pool of Tribute / Emanation should have been classified as (Hard), not (Extreme). They feel way more like Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Hard than G/T/I EX. It's a shame that we won't get to see a proper Extreme version of Susano and Lakshmi where the fight is pushed to its limits.

One of the main reasons every Primal fight past the first three only has Hard and Extreme modes is because they're 8 man parties only.

Normal modes are for 4 people :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
does anyone have that write up someone posted a week ago explaining a4s at level 70

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Hot drat Samurai animations are still awesome.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've been running ACT alot more lately in random dungeons and not just serious content and it's gotten me morbidly curious when people are just unfathomably low in dps, and I've noticed like basically a common trend between all of them, be it dps, healer, or tank. They don't use half of their moves.

Do these people just have a single hotbar and once it fills up and the game can't auto slot them they just think they're done? "welp level 35, guess I have no new moves ever" It baffles me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Benison as soon as you have a lily on easy bosses. Damage taken that doesn't need to be healed is further opportunity to do damage. A 48s Assize CD is nice but it's rare enough to not bank on.

The second boss of The Fist is atrocious and should be deleted.

I bet you get a lot of damage downs.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure half the playerbase doesn't know anything fore/aft and port/starboard.

nuru fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 16, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've been running ACT alot more lately in random dungeons and not just serious content and it's gotten me morbidly curious when people are just unfathomably low in dps, and I've noticed like basically a common trend between all of them, be it dps, healer, or tank. They don't use half of their moves.

Do these people just have a single hotbar and once it fills up and the game can't auto slot them they just think they're done? "welp level 35, guess I have no new moves ever" It baffles me.

To be fair I think a lot of classes get way too many buttons, and it sometimes ends up being spammy instead of creating interesting decisions. For example I don't like moves like the Red Mage oGCD spells which you basically have no reason to ever not use. They just clutter your bars with extra buttons for no reason as well as punishing you for not being a piano player. I don't find those sorts of buttons "fun".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's probably some of that but talking to a friend of mine who went from "never played an mmo before" to "is able to clear some Extremes with practice" it's more often just slacking off/not caring in some content. i remember running a dungeon with him recently when he was leveling blm and I noticed he was just casting B1 for damage (it was synced to like 25) and when i asked if he knew about transposing to fire for damage he basically laughed and said yeah but he didn't really care for leveling. he started playing right for the rest of the dungeon but had I not said anything he'd have been happy just pressing B1 for 30 minutes

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Countblanc posted:

There's probably some of that but talking to a friend of mine who went from "never played an mmo before" to "is able to clear some Extremes with practice" it's more often just slacking off/not caring in some content. i remember running a dungeon with him recently when he was leveling blm and I noticed he was just casting B1 for damage (it was synced to like 25) and when i asked if he knew about transposing to fire for damage he basically laughed and said yeah but he didn't really care for leveling. he started playing right for the rest of the dungeon but had I not said anything he'd have been happy just pressing B1 for 30 minutes

I mean :yeah: I get it. I honestly don't care for a lot of the level synch stuff. Do your 1/2/3 combo all dungeon, I don't care!

But some people have like. 1.5-2k dps in EX primals and that is Not Okay. Even in 70 dungeons people will be in full 310/320 gear and somehow be doing like 2k as a Sam or RDM. (When hitting even 3k is dead easy)

I don't know what they're doing. :psyduck:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Clarste posted:

To be fair I think a lot of classes get way too many buttons, and it sometimes ends up being spammy instead of creating interesting decisions. For example I don't like moves like the Red Mage oGCD spells which you basically have no reason to ever not use. They just clutter your bars with extra buttons for no reason as well as punishing you for not being a piano player. I don't find those sorts of buttons "fun".

they are there to make the classes more skill based which is good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
having looked at the EX primal guides since I'm getting close to 70 susano seems fun while lakshimi seems like a bunch of bullshit memorization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dryzen posted:

they are there to make the classes more skill based which is good

Is spamming a button the moment it's off cooldown really skill though? Frankly abilities like that would perform just as well if you were literally rolling your face on the keyboard. You'd be better off making a macro to use that skill with every other button you ever press and then removing the button from your hotbars while never thinking about it again.