Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Wales thing looks more like the 1992 version.
Nah that'd look much cooler than the Meta shite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Happens to the best of us. But also to the worst of us.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I loving hate this prick. Like, getting caught red-handed both plagiarising colleagues AND making poo poo up & every time his book comes out journos are falling over each other to lavish praise on what amounts to "i tried x & am now an expert on it", which he's now done with the fat drug & with anti-depressants. I said this on Twitter last night, but the main difference between Hari & me is that his expensive education gives him a sense of self-confidence where he takes an SSRI for a year & now knows as much as anyone, where as I have been on them for gently caress know show long now, at least 15 years on & off, 10 years consistently, & wouldn't ever dare confuse my experience with all experience.

And I'm already an insufferably arrogant prick at times but next to these sorts I'm meek.

It always reminds me of a Stephen Collins cartoon about Michael Gove: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/cartoon/2012/mar/16/1

keep punching joe posted:

I though Wales was more about Minecraft

Another thing Thatcher ruined

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 13, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-69001673

To the surprise of nobody:

quote:

A judge has ruled that large parts of the government's Illegal Migration Act should not apply in Northern Ireland because they breach human rights laws.

He ruled some elements of the act are in breach of the Windsor Framework.

This is the revised post-Brexit deal agreed between the UK and European Union last year.

Mr Justice Humphreys also declared parts of the act to be incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights.

Judges are woke now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It always reminds me of a Stephen Collins cartoon about Michael Gove: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/cartoon/2012/mar/16/1

When Collins hits, the dude loving hits.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

Judges are woke now

Good thing they named the act "'Illegal' Migration Act" already, saves on some news column space.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tesseraction posted:

When Collins hits, the dude loving hits.

I know he tends to veer into "jokes for middle class dads" pretty often which turns some folk off, but of the comics in the political cartoon thread he and Squires are pretty much the only ones who are actually funny, so their comics are pretty much the only ones I'll seek out if I missed a week.

And hell, if it's a middle class dad joke chances are it's a decent one anyway.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Judges are woke now

Just need them to start checking passports on the boats and planes over from GB now and the unionists will explode into a bonfire of rage about how they let themselves be fooled by the eminently trustworthy Boris loving Johnson lol

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Nah that'd look much cooler than the Meta shite

Wanna play Super Mario Wales.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Christ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't 'manifesting' that poo poo from the Donald Trump/Norman Vincent Peale positive thinking movement combined with the David Icke/Russel Brand nonsense?

Imagining you're doing something while straining for a shite instead of actually doing it sounds about right.

forkboy84 posted:

every time his book comes out journos are falling over each other to lavish praise on what amounts to "i tried x & am now an expert on it", which he's now done with the fat drug & with anti-depressants.
I look forward to his take on the assisted dying discussion.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't 'manifesting' that poo poo from the Donald Trump/Norman Vincent Peale positive thinking movement combined with the David Icke/Russel Brand nonsense?

Imagining you're doing something while straining for a shite instead of actually doing it sounds about right.

Yeah "manifesting" is where you think about doing something, tell yourself you're doing it, imagine it happening, and then it will happen.

Has a wonderful overlap with the idea that poverty is because you think you're supposed to be poor.

There was a book out last year in the charts with endorsements from the telegraph that I think was advertising the concept, lmao.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I know he tends to veer into "jokes for middle class dads" pretty often which turns some folk off, but of the comics in the political cartoon thread he and Squires are pretty much the only ones who are actually funny, so their comics are pretty much the only ones I'll seek out if I missed a week.

And hell, if it's a middle class dad joke chances are it's a decent one anyway.

Given where he's being published, I don't think he can be faulted for turning out middle class dad jokes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah "manifesting" is where you think about doing something, tell yourself you're doing it, imagine it happening, and then it will happen.

Has a wonderful overlap with the idea that poverty is because you think you're supposed to be poor.

There was a book out last year in the charts with endorsements from the telegraph that I think was advertising the concept, lmao.

It's just law of attraction stuff isn't it.
Like someone says "Elephants" to you and then everywhere you go you see elephants, pictures of elephants, statues of elephants, figurines of elephants, etc.

When I lived in Cairo through the revolution etc, one of my new agey friends refused absolutely to make any kind of contingency plans on the basis that if you made a contingency plan you'd make the thing happen. Whereas me - make a contingency plan then you can stop worrying even if you don't follow it when the fellahin are breaking down the door ready to decapitate you. (I had two backpacks on standby - one with clothes for 2-3 days and one with certificates, battery radio etc).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean people also do it with things like "I want to be rich" and I don't think that wanting to be rich, telling yourself you're rich, spending money like you're rich, will actually make you richer.

People appear to believe this stuff in direct opposition to the evidence in front of them.

It seems like a pretty prime example of how having big brain sometimes makes humans a lot stupider than say, the average rat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Manifesting a rockstar lifestyle by dying of an overdose alone in a bathtub.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao just remembered Scott Adams claimed to have invented his own version that worked, sometime after inventing a burrito that caused gastrointestinal distress but before inventing racism again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Adams also claimed his powers of persuasion were so good he once persuaded himself he was incapable of talking and was unable to undo the conditioning for a month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bet that never happened to a rat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Adams also claimed his powers of persuasion were so good he once persuaded himself he was incapable of talking and was unable to undo the conditioning for a month.
I mean I can imagine that sort of person could manage to break their own brain much more easily than I can imagine that they could change reality.

Because Adams also did the inverse with persuading himself not to ever shut up, until he did the same thing as Glinner, Rowling, etc. did and started off with the "nobody even noticed race/gender/etc. until those people started talking about it" angle and managed to law of repulsion himself into seeing it everywhere and then getting mad that the more he started ranting about it the more people called him a bigot, which could never be the result of his own perfect brain.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

last big one I remember was The Secret, which was a while back. i guess it just keeps getting reinvented with different names and a new set of books to buy every few years

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Angepain posted:

last big one I remember was The Secret, which was a while back. i guess it just keeps getting reinvented with different names and a new set of books to buy every few years

This is the premise of the podcast If Books Could Kill, which dissects and mocks this type of thing. Running gag: they're all the same book.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I loving hate this prick
He's the British Stephen Glass. Difference is that Glass is from the US, so his career never recovered and they made a movie out of him. Hari on the other hand suffered a minor setback and then picked up where he left off, because he went to private school and Cambridge.

I find it bizarre when I see his name on an article. Its an immediate flag of "theres a high probability that what you're about to read is completely fictional".

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

skip

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Brighton Beach was looking lovely over the weekend

Is it poo, or is it an algae bloom eating the poop?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 13, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Por qué no los dos?

Looks like an impressionist rendition of a sedimentation tank.

e:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 13, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Brighton Beach was looking lovely over the weekend

Is it poo, or is it an algae bloom eating the poop?

that cant be real surely?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Apparently is, there are more photos of it:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
nice, a different swirling colour show for those of us who missed the aurora

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could be algal bloom with the mild winds and sudden warmth.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
God, I can see getting to the beach and being determined to have your holiday but why would you paddle in that? Get out of the water :gonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh if it's algae it's not much worse than seaweed or swimming in a lake. I probably wouldn't, but I don't imagine it'll do you any harm.

I did go swimming late in the season as the seaweed was dropping to bits and it was rough seas, was like swimming in angry vegetable soup. Not the most fun in the world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

This is the premise of the podcast If Books Could Kill, which dissects and mocks this type of thing. Running gag: they're all the same book.
The one about David Brooks was interesting too, less about that and more about how he made poo poo up as a journalistpundit by skimming other articles to pad his book.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Eh if it's algae it's not much worse than seaweed or swimming in a lake. I probably wouldn't, but I don't imagine it'll do you any harm.

I did go swimming late in the season as the seaweed was dropping to bits and it was rough seas, was like swimming in angry vegetable soup. Not the most fun in the world.

Some of them are mostly harmless but some are toxic, and both kinds can cause allergic reactions. Overall best no to try:

CDC posted:

When in Doubt, Stay Out
You can take steps to protect yourself and your pets from getting sick from harmful algae and cyanobacteria:
  • If you see a bloom, stay out of the water and keep your pets and livestock out of the water. You cannot tell if a bloom is harmful by looking at it, so it is best to use caution and stay away.
  • Do not fish, swim, boat, or play water sports in areas where there are harmful algae or cyanobacteria.
Do not go into water that
  • Smells bad
  • Looks discolored
  • Has foam, scum, mats, or paint-like streaks on the surface
  • Has dead fish or other animals washed up on its shore or beach

Reading news reports it also apparently smelled pretty bad. Probably would just go sit in a cafe or something if it were me.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 13, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Given what happened to them boat race lads, I would simply not go in the British water.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Private Speech posted:

Apparently is, there are more photos of it:

as an ex Brightonian who has many happy memories of crazy times on that beach this makes me very sad

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmfao. I regret to report that Andrew “Brillo pad” Neil has gone full on “WHO REMEMBERS???”

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1790065193633853856?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah your generation returned milk, soda and beer bottles and then what happened to that policy, old idiot woman?