Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

no way, this cannot be real

and yet it very well could be it's dystopian and stupid enough

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1783838382688198948?t=QIyQLtixuAiOr-088sEbGA&s=19

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Pretty sure it's over bub

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1730251122542043279

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1712494317024026761

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

we’ve finally bought a house in San Diego so the market can plummet now

Scott Forstall posted:

30 year, 7%. We're going to make double payments each month to smash down the principle.

lmfaoooo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think almost all mortgages now are interest loaded up front.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you can make it all back buying stuff,going to dentist in TJ etc. it is a smart money move, if you think about it

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Something I've started noticing as we've all drifted towards middle age (I'm 38) is friends and acquaintances (with kids in particular) going from "retirement is going to be hard" to "I'm not even sure what retiring is or who does it"

Idk when it started but it's like a Hierarchy of Needs thing where people get wrapped up in what they are currently doing and simply never even get to the "planning for the future" stage. And when it comes up for whatever reason it's instant deer-in-headlights, not even in a "I can't do that" way, but a "that's a thing for other people" way that I find particularly horrifying, but I also get it. Why give one second of thought to something you can't realistically do.

It's not everyone, I do have friends with families who are also saving for retirement, but a LOT aren't. There's also a major push to have kids as late as possible, but I think that's making people even more confused about the concept of retirement when they look up and they're 46 with a 7 year old and mounting bills and... you just kind of push that stuff out of your mind. I hope we are able to, at some point, provide some kind of retirement care for people who had to spend their income on their children and are looking at a work forever situation because it feels like that's most people in my subjective observation.

Taima has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Apr 26, 2024

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Beached Whale posted:

Pretty sure it's over bub

lol that the US is in stagflation mode and no outlets are willing to admit it

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

why would they its their job to gaslight and promote the status quo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, the worst is yet to come with talk of the retirement age going up and costs well outpacing COLA increases for social security especially once the trust fund goes. Honestly...I don't really have a problem with people taking money under the table, might as well especially if you are part of a group that probably isn't going to make it to 75-80 anyway.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pink Mist posted:

lol that the US is in stagflation mode and no outlets are willing to admit it

You can't admit it in an election year. If Trump wins, they won't be able to shut up about it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the economy is pretty bifurcated these days - in bigtech, it's not uncommon to see people hit their 40s and retire early whether it's due to explicit FIRE or not

and then the funny bit is you'll see folks go back to work out of boredom after spending a couple years doing offbeat stuff like living in a monastery

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Taima posted:

It's not everyone, I do have friends with families who are also saving for retirement, but a LOT aren't.
While I'm cynical as hell as to what will happen to any retirement (eg expecting new ridiculously higher tax on 401k withdrawals), I doggedly continue to save/contribute like it will matter.

Thinking about it, the biggest influence I have is the memory of my grandparents actually retiring. They didn't start jet setting on expensive vacations, they just stopped working. One side spent 20 years gardening and locally socializing with their families. My other side started a little more tragic (my mother's father died of lung cancer a year or two in, later my grandmother developed a slow and long descent into sickness) but still has many years were getting a job was a means to stave off boredom than necessity.

If I were to only be influenced by my parents who are still "working" (albiet with passive income) I would probably not be saving either.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

shrike82 posted:

the economy is pretty bifurcated these days - in bigtech, it's not uncommon to see people hit their 40s and retire early whether it's due to explicit FIRE or not

and then the funny bit is you'll see folks go back to work out of boredom after spending a couple years doing offbeat stuff like living in a monastery

dude you've been doing this for like 10 years, like... get a hobby man. For you, and us.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cheesus posted:

While I'm cynical as hell as to what will happen to any retirement (eg expecting new ridiculously higher tax on 401k withdrawals), I doggedly continue to save/contribute like it will matter.

Thinking about it, the biggest influence I have is the memory of my grandparents actually retiring. They didn't start jet setting on expensive vacations, they just stopped working. One side spent 20 years gardening and locally socializing with their families. My other side started a little more tragic (my mother's father died of lung cancer a year or two in, later my grandmother developed a slow and long descent into sickness) but still has many years were getting a job was a means to stave off boredom than necessity.

If I were to only be influenced by my parents who are still "working" (albiet with passive income) I would probably not be saving either.

There's nothing wrong with that. How much do you expect to need for retirement?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cheesus posted:

This is where I'm at. It took till my late thirties to get any kind of financial security, so now I've got no choice but to invest and pray for 7% average annual return.

Having said that, Mrs. Parasite has long covid and may have to exit the work force in the next few years in which case I'll be working till death anyway. I've made peace with it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

shrike82 posted:

make this permanent imo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

shrike82 posted:

wow that's wild

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
bifurcate this :goatsecx:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

he's literally been doing that for 10 years in the various versions of this thread, but he wants us to believe he's some happy go lucky techlord who is posting from bora bora, if he is that's even more sad so idk what to say

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Taima posted:

he's literally been doing that for 10 years in the various versions of this thread, but he wants us to believe he's some happy go lucky techlord who is posting from bora bora, if he is that's even more sad so idk what to say

i could believe it, look at Musk. some people are determined to make themselves miserable.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Finally an attainable career goal

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
There won't be enough work to go around by the time I reach retirement age anyway so might as well yolo it now. Even Walmart greeters will be replaced by robots with no chance of making GBS threads their pants in front of customers.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

shrike82 posted:

if this is only six hours then you’re not doing your job well enough.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i am harry posted:

if this is only six hours then you’re not doing your job well enough.

yep

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

oops transitory

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

shrike82 posted:

after spending a couple years doing offbeat stuff like living in a monastery

Saint Benedict was just a quirky tech bro.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Taima posted:

Something I've started noticing as we've all drifted towards middle age (I'm 38) is friends and acquaintances (with kids in particular) going from "retirement is going to be hard" to "I'm not even sure what retiring is or who does it"

Idk when it started but it's like a Hierarchy of Needs thing where people get wrapped up in what they are currently doing and simply never even get to the "planning for the future" stage. And when it comes up for whatever reason it's instant deer-in-headlights, not even in a "I can't do that" way, but a "that's a thing for other people" way that I find particularly horrifying, but I also get it. Why give one second of thought to something you can't realistically do.

It's not everyone, I do have friends with families who are also saving for retirement, but a LOT aren't. There's also a major push to have kids as late as possible, but I think that's making people even more confused about the concept of retirement when they look up and they're 46 with a 7 year old and mounting bills and... you just kind of push that stuff out of your mind. I hope we are able to, at some point, provide some kind of retirement care for people who had to spend their income on their children and are looking at a work forever situation because it feels like that's most people in my subjective observation.

Theyre all going to eat poo poo op, the government will never help these people. Id laugh at them but my retirement plan is 'be dead' so.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The most optimistic possible take I can have on retirement is that if you're over maybe 30 right now you're absolutely screwed if you're relying on government help, but you may be lucky enough to be part of a massive crisis that will lead to a few more scraps being thrown to the generation behind you. But the more likely outcome is that no one will give a poo poo about increasing rates of destitute, miserable, or homeless elderly and things will just get worse for everyone.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Think retirement is dire now? Consider another 20-30 years of institutional rot and climate change

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

The most optimistic possible take I can have on retirement is that if you're over maybe 30 right now you're absolutely screwed if you're relying on government help, but you may be lucky enough to be part of a massive crisis that will lead to a few more scraps being thrown to the generation behind you. But the more likely outcome is that no one will give a poo poo about increasing rates of destitute, miserable, or homeless elderly and things will just get worse for everyone.

I think the pandemic made it pretty clear to everyone that the economically useless will be thrown to the wolves the minute it becomes cheaper to do that than to keep them around, and the government will paint doing this as a good thing to do (Texas government officials talking about how grandma should "sacrifice herself for the economy" in 2020).

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Our local community college is having a food bank and it's cool to see it already filled up to near max capacity within 6 minutes of start time. Things are going well

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

most of the earth will be uninhabitable in 50 years lol at caring about retirement. it's not for you, wage slave. try being born rich next time

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

With the ever-increasing retirement age to the point where the most realistic expectation for when you retire is when you are no longer physically capable of work, even people who could save are going to re-think how they do it. All of my most enjoyable hobbies now involve my physical fitness, so I'm sure not putting that poo poo off, especially now that I know the government response to something like a global pandemic or a natural disaster is "your early death is completely acceptable to us." I'll go on a ski vacation while snow still exists.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Nodelphi posted:

My stupid car keeps trying to connect to a 3g tower when they’ve all been replaced by 5g towers. They haven’t updated the software so the car keeps trying to connect forever even when the car is off, draining the battery. I’ve gone through three car batteries so far.

I found you can pull like three fuses every time you turn the car off to stop it trying to connect but that’s under the hood and a major pain in the rear end.

This is just a small preview of what’s to come with all these modern cars that aren’t getting proper software updates.

lol that owns

my car is from 2004 and I dread when the rust finally claims it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

most of the earth will be uninhabitable in 50 years lol at caring about retirement. it's not for you, wage slave. try being born rich next time

Alright, I will :colbert:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If u exclude the stuff people need most to live, inflation is Over, Actually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

guys they are talking about increasing the retirement age to what it already is at . they are clueless morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Consolidated Ed posted:

you don't have a microwave? are you the grandma from grandma's boy?

euphronius posted:

my mother in law also doesn’t trust microwaves .

it's not that I'm worried about space-beams; it's that I have so little counter space I can barely fit an electric kettle & a toaster & still have room to prep anything.