Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
One thing they still havent fixed from Nioh 1: My PS4 still sounds like a goddamn jet engine taking off whenever I go to the Blacksmith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finally managed to kill the snake. On the upside, the core you get from him is amazing - basically a laser beam that erases an enemy's ki. Hope I can abuse it for the rest of the game before they inevitably nerf it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Protip: Do not give those purple kodama-things Salt.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anyone unlock pledging to a clan yet? Keep encountering people who have nut havent unlokced it myself yet

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, that owl boss freakin sucked. I eventually gave in and summoned an NPC which pretty much trivialized it so at least it's not blocking my progress.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is the purple kodama drops based on what you give them or purely random?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snake boss was hard but kinda fun.

Dual Hatchets are ok but it seems like a lot of their stuff is locked behind intermediate dojo missions.

Game owns.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cool you can just reset skill points from the dojo for money without having to redo your all your stats with a book

Eschatos posted:

Is the purple kodama drops based on what you give them or purely random?

gives you an item of the same rarity you dropped

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What's a good strategy for those pogo stick dudes? You either have to dodge well or block like half a dozen times in a row, both of which eat up all of your stamina.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Am I missing something, or are ninjutsu and onmyo magic unlocked by progress now? I've got like 7 points in each because the first Nioh taught me that spreading my stats was by far the best option, but I still don't even have the menu option for tools or magic. Caltrops were busted as hell in the first game and I want to be able to enchant my weapons again.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Am I missing something, or are ninjutsu and onmyo magic unlocked by progress now? I've got like 7 points in each because the first Nioh taught me that spreading my stats was by far the best option, but I still don't even have the menu option for tools or magic. Caltrops were busted as hell in the first game and I want to be able to enchant my weapons again.

You get points by using them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

Protip: Do not give those purple kodama-things Salt.

This was the first thing I tried giving one completely at random. He didn't like it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I got the puffy cat soul core one time after having one follow me around and it made me sad to realize that suggests they're dying at the end of their duration instead of just teleporting away. :negative:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hamburgers in pockets posted:

using consumable ninja and magic items will give you exp toward skill points in them so you don't have to wait until you've found enough locks of hair

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I got the puffy cat soul core one time after having one follow me around and it made me sad to realize that suggests they're dying at the end of their duration instead of just teleporting away. :negative:

Nah if u learn to talk with them they say they had fun and cya till next time, theyre surviving

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Man odachi is so comically better than axe, there’s no reason at all to use the axe even though I love it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thumbtacks posted:

Man odachi is so comically better than axe, there’s no reason at all to use the axe even though I love it

Can't infinite spin build your odachi.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I hate Tengus so much. So much.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve never liked mad spinner, honestly, maybe with enough kid it’s doable but even in 1 I hated it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

I’ve never liked mad spinner, honestly, maybe with enough kid it’s doable but even in 1 I hated it

It's just a dumb gimmick but in Nioh 1 you could get it going forever. It was funny.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Wow, I got a random ad for this Redbubble shirt on Facebook, but I actually need it:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Omnyo felt weak at the beginning but now that I've got some decent Omnyo power it feels quite good. Got healing and damage prevention talismans for survivability and elemental shots for inflicting status and doing damage. But man is there a lot of garbage in the Omnyo skill trees.

EDIT: Also the Switchglaive is really fun. Feels really versatile and with the stance switching you can do some ridiculous combos.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 15, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RatHat posted:

Omnyo felt weak at the beginning but now that I've got some decent Omnyo power it feels quite good. Got healing and damage prevention talismans for survivability and elemental shots for inflicting status and doing damage. But man is there a lot of garbage in the Omnyo skill trees.

If you want to completely break the game, get the Sloth talismans from the Onmyo tree. You can slow down anything (ANYTHING, including bosses) to molasses speeds and just go loving ham on them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Der Shovel posted:

If you want to completely break the game, get the Sloth talismans from the Onmyo tree. You can slow down anything (ANYTHING, including bosses) to molasses speeds and just go loving ham on them.

Yeah but dont those only last like 5 seconds now? Seems better to inflict the lightning status effect which seems to do the same thing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RatHat posted:

Yeah but dont those only last like 5 seconds now? Seems better to inflict the lightning status effect which seems to do the same thing.

Nnnoooope. They last drat near a minute for me, if not more.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, I wonder if they scale with Omnyo power then. And yeah that sounds busted as gently caress.

Speaking of busted, I hate the Thunderstorm and Geyser shot talismans. Most of the time they barely hit the enemy targeted. It's especially weird since the Raijin feathers from the Ninjutsu tree track perfectly, but not these for some reason.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RatHat posted:

Huh, I wonder if they scale with Omnyo power then. And yeah that sounds busted as gently caress.

Probably. I've got 22 or 23 Magic stat, and I'm wearing +Onmyo Magic Power gear.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Sounds like going all-in on a gimmick is effective

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

First level in chapter is harder than its boss god drat.

Haven't lost to a boss since the snake now.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 16, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That snake boss was sick as gently caress, might be my favorite so far. Not sure how it’s been so hard for people, seemed much more fair than a lot of the other bullshit ones.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I crafted an Odachi with A+ unarmored scaling so I am running around naked hitting for like 1500 with normal heavy stance attacks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've organically ended up in heavyish armour, master magician mode again. I've hit the point where I can just throw spells and basically kill yokai. Monkey spirit talisman attack is no bullshit.

Thumbtacks posted:

That snake boss was sick as gently caress, might be my favorite so far. Not sure how it’s been so hard for people, seemed much more fair than a lot of the other bullshit ones.

I was being too aggressive. When I just waited out the burrowing snake attack to hit its head it was pretty easy. The tonfa made killing the snakes and hitting the face harder than when I fought it with odachi but it's easier with some patient play.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Did anyone else get unreasonably excited doing the final level of the second area and finding Onryoki at the bottom of the whole thing? Cause I know I did.

JBP posted:

First level in chapter is harder than its boss god drat.

Haven't lost to a boss since the snake now.

I usually die once and then go "Okay, remember how to play video games, brain" and then I do it on the second run.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve committed to odachi + axe and I feel like I’m getting so much more out of the odachi in general, I’m not even sure when I should be using the axe. Feels like the odachi just does everything better. Axe is set up to do a ton of ki damage though so that’s usually pretty nice.

I’m going to assume I should take the same stance that I took in nioh 1 re: armor and just ignore min maxing until Ng+

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

I’ve committed to odachi + axe and I feel like I’m getting so much more out of the odachi in general, I’m not even sure when I should be using the axe. Feels like the odachi just does everything better. Axe is set up to do a ton of ki damage though so that’s usually pretty nice.

I’m going to assume I should take the same stance that I took in nioh 1 re: armor and just ignore min maxing until Ng+

I'm starting to get some stamina points but yeah I'm just wearing what's good.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I saw a skill in the shiftling tree I think that said something about having a better chance to get better items from sudama so I'm not entirely sure how they work. I think both times I gave them summoner's candles they did a happy little dance and dropped a whole ring of items.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

ymgve posted:

What's a good strategy for those pogo stick dudes? You either have to dodge well or block like half a dozen times in a row, both of which eat up all of your stamina.

Not specifically against pogo stick yokai, but a general strategy against any yokai is to play very defensively due to their ability to tank all hits until their stamina is depleted. Don't spam attacks, waiting for openings, get in two or three hits and then immediately back out. I'm generally running on medium armor encumbrance and I find that you can block a decent number of attacks if you stop spamming to reserve stamina for defense.

Also try using weapons with longer reach : spear's strong attack on medium stance is a poke that comes out fast and has good reach to wear down their stamina. Once they lose the tanking ability, switch to high stance and hit them with the slow high damage moves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I saw a skill in the shiftling tree I think that said something about having a better chance to get better items from sudama so I'm not entirely sure how they work. I think both times I gave them summoner's candles they did a happy little dance and dropped a whole ring of items.

Whatever rarity of item you give them, they will drop at least one item of the same rarity + other crap. I just toss them the highest tier of armor or weapon I have.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah, defence bonus magic, my old friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Also the Switchglaive is really fun. Feels really versatile and with the stance switching you can do some ridiculous combos.

I've been trying to pick 2 new weapons and switch back and forth for every mission. I'm just on mission 2 and running switchglave and katana, but I'm not touching the sword because SG is too much fun. The low fast combo is like 10 hits, mid stance is basically a spear and high stance hits do decent damage, though less than most other weapons' heavy attacks. Loving the versatility and looking ahead in the skill tree filling out the moveset looks fun as hell.