Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Peter Weller and Section 31 are America and the CIA
Khan is Bin Laden, used strategically by the CIA then gone rogue
Kronos is Afghanistan
72 of Khan's crewmen is an allusion to Allah's 72 virgins
Commentary on drone strikes
False flag stuff

And some other nonsense.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/09/11/how-star-trek-into-darkness-is-a-crypto-truther-conspiracy-movie

Jesus Christ, every time I think Devin Faraci couldn't crawl any further up his own rear end, he goes and proves me wrong. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Oh man, wait 'til VitalSigns gets to the Kurn episode.

VitalSigns posted:

that special spark of life

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Dark One posted:

Haha, god, that was so weird. It's cool when DS9 intentionally steps in poo poo, morally speaking. Then there are the times when it seems like they just forgot what show they were writing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

VitalSigns posted:

Like yeah I figure eventually they'd accept they have a new O'Brien, but drat you'd think everyone would have to come to grips with it emotionally and maybe they'd at least do a memorial for the guy they knew who volunteered to die horribly from radiation poisoning to save them all?

Yeah, but I mean even the idea of past O'Brien being dead is... questionable. A lot of it just comes down to Star Trek writers being super fast and loose with this stuff, but the future where that O'Brien died literally never happens. What does that mean for the O'Brien that came back? Is he really a different person at all? Hell, he shouldn't even exist. The fact that Star Trek timeline lets characters interact with their future/past selves is honestly super weird and nonsensical (more so than time travel in general, even) and leads to all kinds of situations that are hard to parse.

Also it'd probably be super hosed up for the O'Brien that came back to see all his friends and loved ones mourning him while he's right there.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 17, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Haha, god, that was so weird. It's cool when DS9 intentionally steps in poo poo, morally speaking. Then there are the times when it seems like they just forgot what show they were writing.

It's a consequence of the schedule, I think. They just didn't have time to step back and take a look at what they'd done sometimes. Sending Adult Molly back is another one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not arguing that he's too different, I'm arguing that their friend died and no one cared because they got one that's close enough.

If they'd found Thomas Riker after 3.5 hours instead of several years but Will died on the away mission to get him, it'd be extremely hosed up if his friends on the Potemkin just shrugged and said "whatever probably easier, no need for a funeral and we need a replacement second officer now sooooo".
I don't see this as particularly troubling. Funerals commemorate a loss. There is no sense of loss here. The mind will be perfectly happy with this justification.

I feel like we might end up relitigating the entire d&d "does teleportation
kill you?" thread here, but their O'Brien/Riker is no more dead than if he hit his head and forgot the last 24 hours or whatever.

Having a funeral for someone who is demonstrably still alive and in fact in attendance, now that's weird.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did they have a funeral for Tuvix?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Phimosissy posted:

I don't see this as particularly troubling. Funerals commemorate a loss. There is no sense of loss here. The mind will be perfectly happy with this justification.

I feel like we might end up relitigating the entire d&d "does teleportation
kill you?" thread here, but their O'Brien/Riker is no more dead than if he hit his head and forgot the last 24 hours or whatever.

Having a funeral for someone who is demonstrably still alive and in fact in attendance, now that's weird.

In that example, the experiences each of them had in that 3.5 hours make them separate unique people. If Riker A dies on the mission to rescue RIker B, then yes, a funeral would be appropriate. The person you bring back to the ship is not the same person that died on the way.

Baronjutter posted:

No, because Voyager is a poo poo show that doesn't care about the long term consequences of each episode.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know where this whole argument is coming from. In the future, people don't grieve. They accept death and move on, even the children.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, but I mean even the idea of past O'Brien being dead is... questionable. A lot of it just comes down to Star Trek writers being super fast and loose with this stuff, but the future where that O'Brien died literally never happens. What does that mean for the O'Brien that came back? Is he really a different person at all? Hell, he shouldn't even exist. The fact that Star Trek timeline lets characters interact with their future/past selves is honestly super weird and nonsensical (more so than time travel in general, even) and leads to all kinds of situations that are hard to parse.
Honestly the only way that episode makes sense to me is if O'Brien is jumping into parallel timelines. When he sees his future self, future O'Brien never remembers this specific time-jump (but remembers all the previous ones). Oddly on the last jump, the O'Brien who is woken up doesn't even remember past-O'Brien's previous jump where he saw the station get evacuated. So I'm gonna say that a parallel timeline is missing its O'Brien (who should have been on the runabout evacuating or possibly killed in the destruction of the station).

But whatever, the episode itself pokes fun at its own plot and O'Brien(s) handwave all the problems with "I hate temporal mechanics" so eh.

Paradoxish posted:

Also it'd probably be super hosed up for the O'Brien that came back to see all his friends and loved ones mourning him while he's right there.

Maybe. But Alt-O'Brien is the only one who seems sad and conflicted about it, so maybe some acknowledgment of his unique humanity and the sacrifice the other O'Brien made would help him more than going "pffft you're the same to us who cares. Look Worf knows where to get all the O'Briens we need so don't let any workplace safety precautions slow down your repairs on the replicator."

The Dark One posted:

I kinda remember what happened and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be horrified.

I just finished my Next Gen rewatch and holy poo poo Beverly Crusher's medical ethics wtf. I didn't know what informed consent was as a kid but now hoo boy.
:baby: Thank you for saving my world Mr Data, you're my best friend.
;-* Come along to sick bay.
:baby: I'm scared. Can Mr. Data come
;-* Of course. Don't worry I won't hurt you, I just need to make sure you're all right, just a quick check-up.
*Does brain surgery*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronjutter posted:

Everyone spit in a bucket and they flushed that out an airlock.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

I just finished my Next Gen rewatch and holy poo poo Beverly Crusher's medical ethics wtf. I didn't know what informed consent was as a kid but now hoo boy.
:baby: Thank you for saving my world Mr Data, you're my best friend.
;-* Come along to sick bay.
:baby: I'm scared. Can Mr. Data come
;-* Of course. Don't worry I won't hurt you, I just need to make sure you're all right, just a quick check-up.
*Does brain surgery*

Wasn't that Pulaski? I thought when Crusher tried it on the proto-Vulcans she hosed it up and the local remembered everything after they beamed back down.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I'm not sure why they had to wipe her brain at all. She's a little kid, they make poo poo up all the time. Just one more UFO/"aliens beamed me" person running around.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Of course that was the same episode with Riker arguing for some bullshit ~*cosmic plan*~ so I guess she's lucky they didn't just let them all die, like that planet of people Paul Sorvino was banging

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wasn't that Pulaski? I thought when Crusher tried it on the proto-Vulcans she hosed it up and the local remembered everything after they beamed back down.

It was Pulaski, yeah. What's more, when Crusher talked about it later on, she referred to it as "Dr. Pulaski's technique". As in, Pulaski invented it herself. So that little alien girl didn't just get non-consensual brain surgery, she got non-consensual experimental brain surgery.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

It was Pulaski, yeah. What's more, when Crusher talked about it later on, she referred to it as "Dr. Pulaski's technique". As in, Pulaski invented it herself. So that little alien girl didn't just get non-consensual brain surgery, she got non-consensual experimental brain surgery.

Picturing her as a mad Doctor who looks at every thing that comes to her sick bay as a chance to experiment only makes me like Pulaski more

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Pulaski owns. A no bullshit woman the 90s didn't deserve.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pulaski owns entirely and she hosed Worf

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He only agreed because she said warriors sleep with their doctors in order to embiggen their honor and Worf fell for it because he didn't want to look like he didn't know as much about Klingons as her.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Pulaski owns entirely and she hosed Worf

Huh?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Worf's into racist old chicks. It is an honourable form of sexual conquest.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh yeahhhh it was. Okay general Federation medical ethics then.

Powered Descent posted:

It's loving bizarre because it doesn't even work all the time (the proto-Vulcans, that other race Worf's brother saved, etc), you're doing experimental surgery on nonconsenting alien races whose biology you're seeing for the first time because "hey maybe, and eh the Prime Directive is just as safe if we accidentally vegetablize her"

Let the little girl have her special space friend, nobody is going to believe her anyway.

Of course that was the same episode with Riker arguing for some bullshit ~*cosmic plan*~ so I guess she's lucky they didn't just let them all die, like that planet of people Paul Sorvino was banging

Only because there wasn't enough grass on the field for Riker. When Riker has a chance to bone an alien like say an androgynous "but really totally really a woman, no homo" -Rick Berman yet horny and curious being, whoa suddenly non-consensual brain surgery is not okay, Prime Directive be damned I'mma lead a covert op.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kazinsal posted:

Worf's into racist old chicks. It is an honourable form of sexual conquest.

That tea ceremony was foreplay. Worf and Riker's dad spitroasted Pulaski while Data took notes and Geordi spied from a crack in the door.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In that example, the experiences each of them had in that 3.5 hours make them separate unique people. If Riker A dies on the mission to rescue RIker B, then yes, a funeral would be appropriate. The person you bring back to the ship is not the same person that died on the way.

Sure, that's what Data would argue, and detached federation philosophers would probably agree. I do. But that's not how people would feel because human psychology doesn't give a whit about that kind of rationality. If he's there in the room with you, those 3.5 hours dont matter.

The duplicate would be accepted.

Also, this sort of poo poo happens all the time in Trek, people would already be OK with the idea of loving quantum duplicates. What are you some kind of duplicist?!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Sort of like Pulaski, Guinan was angling for a little Worf action at the beginning of Yesterday's Enterprise but he didn't get the hint.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Hey folks! I haven't checked on the Trek thread in a while since I've had to pause my ENT run and--

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That tea ceremony was foreplay. Worf and Riker's dad spitroasted Pulaski while Data took notes and Geordi spied from a crack in the door.

:yikes:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Hey folks! I haven't checked on the Trek thread in a while since I've had to pause my ENT run and--

Username/av combo!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Phimosissy posted:

Sure, that's what Data would argue, and detached federation philosophers would probably agree. I do. But that's not how people would feel because human psychology doesn't give a whit about that kind of rationality. If he's there in the room with you, those 3.5 hours dont matter.

The duplicate would be accepted.

Also, this sort of poo poo happens all the time in Trek, people would already be OK with the idea of loving quantum duplicates. What are you some kind of duplicist?!

Nah, just a few episodes earlier Bashir refused to Ship-of-Theseus Bareil into a Bareil-like AI because "special spark of life" and "I'd be killing a man no matter what", and not because "the AI wouldn't be good enough but if it were indistinguishable I'd totally copy him and your human(-oid) psychology wouldn't care!"

If they were truly okay with quantum duplicates, they'd just use two transporter confinement beams for every transport like what happened with Riker, save one in Scotty's buffer loop trick, and bam spare bodies in case poo poo goes down on an away mission.

Given this I think alt-O'Brien is right to be concerned that he could die and his friends would not care as long as another one showed up from an alternate universe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Railing Kill posted:

TBF I forgot this wasn't the GBS thread

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
shitpost factor 10: to occupy all trek threads at once

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

shitpost factor 10: to occupy all trek threads at once

Engage!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Nah, just a few episodes earlier Bashir refused to Ship-of-Theseus Bareil into a Bareil-like AI because "special spark of life" and "I'd be killing a man no matter what", and not because "the AI wouldn't be good enough but if it were indistinguishable I'd totally copy him and your human(-oid) psychology wouldn't care!"

If they were truly okay with quantum duplicates, they'd just use two transporter confinement beams for every transport like what happened with Riker, save one in Scotty's buffer loop trick, and bam spare bodies in case poo poo goes down on an away mission.

Given this I think alt-O'Brien is right to be concerned that he could die and his friends would not care as long as another one showed up from an alternate universe.

Psychologically, planning to replace someone with a quantum duplicate is like considering murder, but living with one created by accident (and appearing at nearly the same time the 'original' dies) is completely different.

Your psyche will adjust to the living being and the corpse will merely be a nightmarish simulacrum. Your love for the pattern of behavior that is that person will easily override your logical deductions about which particular meat bag is the genuine article.

If Bareil had been accidentally transferred into a robobrain he would have been accepted, but doing it on purpose is different.

Alternately, medical technology and ethics in Trek are super duper inconsistent.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My problem isn't that they'll come to love and accept the duplicate (makes sense they would), but that nobody except the duplicate gave two fucks that a person they knew and loved suffered and died of radiation poisoning and never saw his friends and family again. Like if O'Brien died and then 3.5 hours later someone said "hey I just figured out how we can rescue an alternate O'Brien from a universe where the station is about to blow up and kill everyone, let's go get him so we don't have to be sad" should they all be like "woo hoo cancel the funeral!"?

Although they are pretty callous with this stuff I guess. I was going to bring up Children of Time, but looking at the Memory Alpha synopsis they were totally cool with creating a duplicate-Kira to leave on the planet to die and it was only when they discovered there was going to be no duplicate Defiant and they would be stranded that suddenly Sisko is all "you don't have the right to sacrifice another person's life just to save your town!" Uh ok dude two seconds ago you were 100% cool with sacrificing someone's life as long as you created a spare.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Remember that time some dude cloned himself to frame Odo, and then while investigating the 'murder' they accidentally created another clone of him, and then at the end of the episode just threw in a line about sending the clone off to make a new life? That's gotta be a weird life to have - "Yes, I know all your records say I'm a criminal convicted of murder, but I'm actually a clone the cops made by mistake while investigating him."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure the Federation keeps records about that sort of thing and has some kind of 2 factor authorization to keep something stupid from happening like a clone impersonating his double and stealing a starship.

I mean with android officers that's a necessity could you imagine the havoc an evil model of even a midlevel position like operations officer on the flagship could cause?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

Remember that time some dude cloned himself to frame Odo, and then while investigating the 'murder' they accidentally created another clone of him, and then at the end of the episode just threw in a line about sending the clone off to make a new life? That's gotta be a weird life to have - "Yes, I know all your records say I'm a criminal convicted of murder, but I'm actually a clone the cops made by mistake while investigating him."
My favorite part is that Bashir accidentally made a clone in a loving open-topped tub in the infirmary. What if Morn had sneezed near it?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Nessus posted:

My favorite part is that Bashir accidentally made a clone in a loving open-topped tub in the infirmary. What if Morn had sneezed near it?

A BrundleFly episode of DS9 would have been cool.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I also liked how that clone knew to grow right to the appropriate age so they could look at him and finger the suspect.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Presumably the ready-mix clone goo was genetically programmed to do that so clone would be the right age to be mistaken for the murderer's corpse.

E: oh gently caress he doesn't even get a childhood. "OK here's some tapes to show you how to wipe your rear end and put on pants. If you study hard you'll be functioning at a 6th grade level before you're 35. Luckily you'll have plenty of time to study because you have no friends and no idea how to relate to your own species"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

Presumably the ready-mix clone goo was genetically programmed to do that so clone would be the right age to be mistaken for the murderer's corpse.

E: oh gently caress he doesn't even get a childhood. "OK here's some tapes to show you how to wipe your rear end and put on pants. If you study hard you'll be functioning at a 6th grade level before you're 35. Luckily you'll have plenty of time to study because you have no friends and no idea how to relate to your own species"
Yeah, to Bashir's credit he didn't just decide to defy the laws of God and hew-mon alike, he was trying to figure out what the gently caress Spanky McCrime did.

It would've been great if that guy came back later.