Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You can get a weber smokey mountain cooker 18" for 299 American dollars. Or do it proper and join my club with the 22" for 100 more, and you should.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...MHfL&ref=plSrch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also Duzzy Funlop I'm in the states next year let's host a gip smoke up

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Yes, let's give me some more poo poo to get salty about in case I don't find a job here. :(

Realtalk, there'd be few things as amusing as AMERICAS VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS being catered to with BBQ prepared at the hands of a pair of unwashed foreigners, no less.

Call it Kiwi & Kraut Catering, LLC

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think Kiwi Kraut Katering is better tbh

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I think Kiwi Kraut Katering is better tbh

Kiwi Kraut Katering - Three Ks America can get behind

/edit, get Shim on board for a bonus kosher oven-joke in the slogan

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yes, let's give me some more poo poo to get salty about in case I don't find a job here. :(

Realtalk, there'd be few things as amusing as AMERICAS VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS being catered to with BBQ prepared at the hands of a pair of unwashed foreigners, no less.

Call it Kiwi & Kraut Catering, LLC

I may have missed it but why do you want to stay in our "turd circling the bowl" country especially loving now?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Kiwi Kraut Katering - Three Ks America can get behind

/edit, get Shim on board for a bonus kosher oven-joke in the slogan

Kiwi Kraut Katering, a fine tradition of German cooking for over 70 years

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Also Duzzy Funlop I'm in the states next year let's host a gip smoke up

Stop by The Bay and I'll give you some of the stuff I've been pickling.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Really want this to be good.

Naked Bear posted:

Friendly reminder that this is next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwfqXTebIY

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone ever used that drain king thing for clearing drains using a garden hose?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I gotta say I really love that it's Stranger Things 2 instead of Stranger Things season 2.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I may have missed it but why do you want to stay in our "turd circling the bowl" country especially loving now?

No loving clue.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

We've been crowing doom and destruction in here for a decent while, but you need to keep in mind that not everything is quite as on-fire or as burned-down as our end-of-days masturbatory fantasies make it out to be.

So, with the exception of the USA descending into civil war, and/or Trump-induced irrelevance, any amount of international job experience weighs quite a bit in anyone's resume...especially of those that aren't Americans. Hence my attempt to not just score a summa cum laude degree here, but use that to get a foot in the door and pep up my resume that way.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Holy loving poo poo.
Dutch engineer I used to work with just posted this:

quote:

I've been a volunteer with the Harlingen sea cadets for 17 years, but i've never thought we would be doing something like this... Last year we spent eleven exhausting but unforgettable weeks taking part in the filming of "Dunkirk" with our ship, the former minesweeper "Sittard". Finally got to see the result tonight, well done mr Nolan!! Now heading back to Harlingen to see if the ship still floats, not so sure after seeing the film...
http://dunkirk-the-movie.com/en/f34-hr-ms-sittard/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dutch sea cadets run a ship that big? That's a high school level thing like the US?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't really know all the details. I would assume there are several officers who do it on a volunteer basis and the sea cadets learn skills as they go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

I don't really know all the details. I would assume there are several officers who do it on a volunteer basis and the sea cadets learn skills as they go.

In sea scouts the largest ships were ex coast guard 120's though one program tried crewing an ex-navy cable layer around 200' but it proved too much ship for the kids available.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

We've been crowing doom and destruction in here for a decent while, but you need to keep in mind that not everything is quite as on-fire or as burned-down as our end-of-days masturbatory fantasies make it out to be.

So, with the exception of the USA descending into civil war, and/or Trump-induced irrelevance, any amount of international job experience weighs quite a bit in anyone's resume...especially of those that aren't Americans. Hence my attempt to not just score a summa cum laude degree here, but use that to get a foot in the door and pep up my resume that way.

Just, you know, go back home before you get seriously ill/injured or want to start a family.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

In sea scouts the largest ships were ex coast guard 120's though one program tried crewing an ex-navy cable layer around 200' but it proved too much ship for the kids available.

I failed on the Fridtjof Nansen for a few weeks in high school during our class graduation trip. It's a ~190 foot three-mast schooner (?) With a crew of four volunteers doing their "Zivildienst" (the optional service you could do instead of mandatory military service, loving draft-dodging hippies) and the captain. The rest of the 55 people on board are paying civilians. It never seemed quite kosher, to be honest, because it was an OSHA nightmare come to life.

"One hand for the ship" was literally the only thing keeping you from going overboard or falling from the rigging at 100 feet. Zero qualification, basically no thorough instructions outside of a really stern talking-to about not loving around, and that was it, every role on the ship was fair game. But holy poo poo, was it ever so much fun.

The German navy operates a 300 foot barque called "Gorch Fock", and every officer cadet has to do a cruise on her before being commissioned. "Cadre" of 55 veterans, and crew of 200 cadets, which seems much more appropriate than the five people for a loving three-mast ship as in our case.

But being a military vessel has also earned the ship some hilariously stupid shenanigans and accidents, including sexual assault cases and six or so deaths in recent memory. The latest death was a 19year-old cadet that fell to her death from the rigging on the 140foot main mast, resulting in the crew's refusal to climb the rigging for the remainder of the cruise, with four cadets charged with "VERABREDUNG ZUR UNBOTMÄßIGKEIT", which is the precursor charge for mutiny.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this 17 year old kid hit the fence behind my house a couple of weeks ago. didn't hurt it too bad. it's a vinyl fence that has panels that pop in and out, and the panels just kind of fell out around his car. probably did more damage to the car than the fence when it's all said and done. the kid was super honest about it. he willingly gave his information to me and asked me to call the landlord so he could notify them of what he did. i was pretty impressed with his honesty because i would've probably took the gently caress off when i was 17. the fence can be put back together really easy, and the kid even put most of it back together himself. i think one panel needed to be replaced and they are super cheap. the landlord gave the kid's parents the option of just reimbursing the cost of the panel, or taking it to insurance. it would have been no more than $50 to reimburse the landlord for the fence., and the scratches on the car looked like they could be buffed out.

parents took it to the insurance company anyway.

how loving dumb lol

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 24, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I failed on the Fridtjof Nansen for a few weeks in high school during our class graduation trip. It's a ~190 foot three-mast schooner (?) With a crew of four volunteers doing their "Zivildienst" (the optional service you could do instead of mandatory military service, loving draft-dodging hippies) and the captain. The rest of the 55 people on board are paying civilians. It never seemed quite kosher, to be honest, because it was an OSHA nightmare come to life.

"One hand for the ship" was literally the only thing keeping you from going overboard or falling from the rigging at 100 feet. Zero qualification, basically no thorough instructions outside of a really stern talking-to about not loving around, and that was it, every role on the ship was fair game. But holy poo poo, was it ever so much fun.

The German navy operates a 300 foot barque called "Gorch Fock", and every officer cadet has to do a cruise on her before being commissioned. "Cadre" of 55 veterans, and crew of 200 cadets, which seems much more appropriate than the five people for a loving three-mast ship as in our case.

But being a military vessel has also earned the ship some hilariously stupid shenanigans and accidents, including sexual assault cases and six or so deaths in recent memory. The latest death was a 19year-old cadet that fell to her death from the rigging on the 140foot main mast, resulting in the crew's refusal to climb the rigging for the remainder of the cruise, with four cadets charged with "VERABREDUNG ZUR UNBOTMÄßIGKEIT", which is the precursor charge for mutiny.

Punks. Climb the goddamn rigging.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thought that was da share z0ne for a second.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Fister Roboto posted:

Who says it isn't?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Fister Roboto posted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Fister Roboto posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My cherry peppers are coming along nicely. Six plants, tallest one is about 19" with the rest 12--17". Have a whole bunch of 1" peppers right now and more flowers coming. First harvest should be about a month away and I can start pickling.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why didn't anyone tell me Hans Zimmer did Dunkirk

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Hans Zimmer did Dunkirk

He's done everything Nolan since The Dark Knight

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/735829356941971457/photo/1

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Kitchen sink tap snapped off. The feed lines at the wall are stuck so loving hard if I try to put pressure on them to break them free it feels like I am going to snap off the copper pipe. The other end of the lines at the tap are waaaay inside the top part of it and impossible to reach. How the gently caress did they install this thing when they built the house.

ded fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 24, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

Kitchen sink tap snapped off. The feed lines at the wall are stuck so loving hard if I try to put pressure on them to break them free it feels like I am going to snap off the copper pipe. The other end of the lines at the tap are waaaay inside the top part of it and impossible to reach. How the gently caress did they install this thing when they built the house.

If both the pipe and the feed lines are metal, use some sort of penetrating oil to perhaps break the connectors loose enough to unscrew them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The place is holding a good temp after some work on the AC and all the weather stripping. This is good in Texas.

Now time to make some b-read

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

ded posted:

I just had the same exact loving thing happen to me last month right after I listed my house for sale. I had a helluva time trying to find the water shutoff valves under the sink, because they weren't near the connections or where it came up into the cabinet. I ended up having to drag myself across the entire crawl space to shut the water off at the main. When I finally got the faucet off I was able to find the shutoffs hidden under the reverse osmosis tank under the sink.

Remove the connections at the faucet is probably way more of a pain than it is worth since the new faucet will come with the same hoses connected already. Just increases the chance you'll spring a leak in there since it will be tricky to torque it down properly in there.

Like orange juche suggested, I'd try spraying the connections at the bottom to loosen them then use two wrenches to break it. I am partial to PB Blaster personally for breaking rusty connections.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Just smash everything with a hammer. Trust me, I'm a plumber.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pull it out and throw some gravel down

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

orange juche posted:

If both the pipe and the feed lines are metal, use some sort of penetrating oil to perhaps break the connectors loose enough to unscrew them.

Ya I ended up soaking it a few times with wd40 over an hour. Was able to break it free after that. New tap is already installed.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

WD40 is not good penetrating oil.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 25, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

WD40 is not good penetrating oil.

No, but it's never a bad place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's water displacing, not corrosion eating.

PB Blaster. That still the good poo poo?

• Locked thread