Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

HashtagGirlboss posted:

When was the last time you saw anyone eat a mars bar?

If I caught my reflection in a monitor, would that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

they don't, in the US.

They sneak them into those horribly overpriced Halloween bags sometimes

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

They sneak them into those horribly overpriced Halloween bags sometimes

those FUCKERS

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Xaris posted:

yeah much like private equity has been gobbling up health care centers and independent MD practitioners in rural or smal-mid town places, it’s also been buying up a ton of independent vets and consolidating hard, jacking up prices, and making service much worse.

president xi pls just destroy America already. it’s really crystal clear that it’s just pure endless rapid decline and decay as far as the eye can see in the future.

a friend of mine just spent $4k to have her 13 yr old dog's toe amputated; it had some sort of lump on it and a biopsy alone was going to cost $1k; if it were cancer she'd have to spend a lot more than $4k for surgery & doggy chemo.

it's a corporate vet practice that replaced a decades-old local business with a sterling reputation; they kept the old practice name intact, just as the story said most do.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why the gently caress would amputation of a single toe cost $4,000 dollars (551 hours of minimum wage)?

How can they possibly justify charging that much?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why the gently caress would amputation of a single toe cost $4,000 dollars (551 hours of minimum wage)?

the same reason a dog licks his balls

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

Emotional blackmail. You wouldn't want to be responsible for killing your pet now, would you? So then, cough up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Probably because they can.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

it... tastes good???

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What would the actual cost look like? Something like 10 minutes of labor, sterilizing the wound site, disposal of biomass?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Willa Rogers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKafB6XB08

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

What would the actual cost look like? Something like 10 minutes of labor, sterilizing the wound site, disposal of biomass?

what about the hospital administrator's labor??

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

You're missing the most important part: shareholder value.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

I think a lot of people would look at the chart & think "things are back to normal now" especially the libs I see who claim that prices under biden are back to what they used to be.

it wouldn't even occur to them that inflation really took off once biden was elected & hasn't yet come down to pre-biden levels.
if trump wins which seems pretty probable at this point suddenly inflation is at extreme levels and the economy is awful

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

a friend of mine just spent $4k to have her 13 yr old dog's toe amputated; it had some sort of lump on it and a biopsy alone was going to cost $1k; if it were cancer she'd have to spend a lot more than $4k for surgery & doggy chemo.

it's a corporate vet practice that replaced a decades-old local business with a sterling reputation; they kept the old practice name intact, just as the story said most do.

wtf I paid half that in 2020 to have an entire leg amputated (also cancer, fortunately hadn’t metastasized, he’s still around :) )

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Well yeah but it's still a ways to go before AI rids the planet of the human infection

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Anecdotal evidence here, the vet office we had gone to for 15 years got bought by VCA and prices rose insanely, way outstripping inflation. After our old dog passed away and we got a new puppy, I took her to a different, closer private office that wasn't a VCA (they've bought up a ton of vets in the region) to get an exam, flea/tick, fecal test, and a round of shots. The vet tech apologized and said it was going to be about two hundred bucks and I just laughed because it was half of what the VCA would have charged.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

All these vet posts and no goddam pet pictures. What in the absolute gently caress.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Itt people taking care of their pets and not being Kristi Noem or that weirdo in the covid thread who killed a dog with a brick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Microplastics posted:

I enjoyed the bit that said

like Mars bars don't exist. it's got the same name as the company!!

mars bars basically dont exist in the us. very rarely you can find them. milkyway and snickers are mars' 2 biggest products here.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

All these vet posts and no goddam pet pictures. What in the absolute gently caress.

I am elderly and dont know how Imgur works.. will this work?? I was doing drainage this morning and she was dragging around some corrugated pipe, trying to help out

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nikosoft posted:

I am elderly and dont know how Imgur works.. will this work?? I was doing drainage this morning and she was dragging around some corrugated pipe, trying to help out

would pet

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ordinarily i dont condone necromancy but if its a computer doing it its fine actually

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

nikosoft posted:

Absolute great doggo. Lab always been in my family. Last yellow one ate construction sand to help out.

Also, FYI use this site. Better than Imgur. https://postimages.org

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Xaris posted:

my local vet sold to Thrive Corporation and it loving sucks rear end now

More like Thievery Corporation

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Down a leg but still going strong!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nikosoft posted:

14/10 i give a treat without checking for traps

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
if I could get even fraction of that without working in any outwardly evil industries i would.

im not even a computer toucher although i do have a stagnant comp information sys degree

https://twitter.com/IdahoBones/status/1784581479214784587?t=_598JHrmPFIAc_t0aG379Q&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

would pet this dog

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

if I could get even fraction of that without working in any outwardly evil industries i would.

im not even a computer toucher although i do have a stagnant comp information sys degree

https://twitter.com/IdahoBones/status/1784581479214784587?t=_598JHrmPFIAc_t0aG379Q&s=19

as someone suffering from universities giving money from humanities to compsci

:unsmigghh:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

This was always the extremely predictable outcome of programming getting an insane amount of people swarming into it for Jobs. At some point sooner or later the sector would contract and squeeze out the bottom 20-40% of candidates.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

This was always the extremely predictable outcome of programming getting an insane amount of people swarming into it for Jobs. At some point sooner or later the sector would contract and squeeze out the bottom 20-40% of candidates.

it'd be one thing if there were really merit involved, but sector contractions tend to affect people randomly, aside from those propped up by * P R E S T I G E * in either degree or company. it's mostly in the timing of when you lose your job or enter into the workforce

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

SKULL.GIF posted:

This happened in law years ago too. Tons of newly graduated law students couldn't get into practice.

Right wing guys that hate college students love to say they all should have gone into the trades instead, but if you had a huge infusion of new welders or pipe fitters the exact same thing would happen there too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah I think that was the plan, the reason Zuckerberg et al were pushing the "everybody learn to code at public expense" was to flood the job market and drive down wages.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

that was the raison d'etre big push for obama's learn2code and coal2code mine

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

This happened in law years ago too. Tons of newly graduated law students couldn't get into practice.

Right wing guys that hate college students love to say they all should have gone into the trades instead, but if you had a huge infusion of new welders or pipe fitters the exact same thing would happen there too.

hmmm its almost as if the "fad" majors become fads because capital wishes to lower its outlays on some specific form of labor :thunk:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

:hmmyes:

nikosoft posted:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh well, welcome to my hell computer perverts

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh well, welcome to my hell computer perverts

they should have unionized when they had the chance. now there's no chance if there's 10000 applications for every computer diddler job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

harder having one of the front legs, but also makes it so you get incredible rub length