Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Goober Peas posted:

Business travel is e/n by default

Isn’t self-harm banned in e/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

Isn’t self-harm banned in e/n?

Don't kink shame. You know deep down we all enjoy debasing ourselves with business travel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

poz my neg status daddy

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
No status no validation

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

psydude posted:

Don't kink shame. You know deep down we all enjoy debasing ourselves with business travel.

Some of us are even more perverse. I’m in a long distance relationship. And I qualify for status via segments.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
As a first time Hertz renter, it was annoying to be stopped at the first counter, have to argue at the second counter to be able to pick from Ultimate Choice, and then get held up again at checkout. I matched to Hertz Presidents circle from National, but based on this experience at IAH, I won’t pay more for a Hertz rental again. National is grab and go whereas Hertz wanted to verify everything (and up sell me on insurance despite the fact I set up my online profile to decline everything).

The cars do seem marginally nicer than IAH National Executive to some degree, but this is a sample size of 1. Got an Infiniti, they had a lot of Toyota Avalons, etc.

psydude posted:

Is that what happened? My first flight to DFW from SFO got cancelled, I rebooked through Charlotte, that got cancelled, and then rebooked through ORD and that was fine. Got stuck in a middle seat though, but such is life.

Yeah I gave up a nice seat and a confirmed free upgrade in order to route thru PHX. And then I misconnected anyways, but it was close enough that I got to run my out of shape rear end to my gate at PHX and watch the plane pull away.

And that original flight? The connector out of DFW was delayed too so I probably could have made the original one work if I had taken it.

And that’s my tale.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

As a first time Hertz renter, it was annoying to be stopped at the first counter, have to argue at the second counter to be able to pick from Ultimate Choice, and then get held up again at checkout. I matched to Hertz Presidents circle from National, but based on this experience at IAH, I won’t pay more for a Hertz rental again. National is grab and go whereas Hertz wanted to verify everything (and up sell me on insurance despite the fact I set up my online profile to decline everything).

The cars do seem marginally nicer than IAH National Executive to some degree, but this is a sample size of 1. Got an Infiniti, they had a lot of Toyota Avalons, etc.

Yeah, and my sample size of 1 had the opposite switching from President’s circle at Hertz to National. I know everybody here has a hard on for National, but I got ~160k United miles from Hertz last year and had no issues getting great cars, yet I make the move to a new company with National and I get stuck with the gutless base model Nissan Sentra.

I kinda want to go back to Hertz

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Aviation nerds may be interested to know the AA 737 with the Aircal livery is currently parked at ORD.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
There a lot of hate for Avis here? Never see it mentioned. Maybe it is due to my (large) company having a good contract with them (also Hertz) but I was treated well even when I had no status and I'm now preferred plus and get a lot of nice cars for regular rates. I travel all over the US and rarely have issues - the lot in PHI is kind of crappy, I remember, but I rent out of EWR now and surprisingly other than the 15 minute train ride to get there it's been a good experience. I must have rented 30 cars just at that location in the last two years.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In all fairness, National didn't used to be 'pick a Nissan' or 'pick a Hyundai'. In the last year or so, it's become that. They used to have a wide variety of makes/models.

My issue with Hertz was/is you're at their mercy with what you get. Car smells like an ashtray? Gotta go to the counter. F250 in Philadelphia when you requested a compact? Gotta go to the counter. 9/10 when you get to the counter you're looking at 1/2 an hour and lots of conversation.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 14, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

My issue with Hertz was/is you're at their mercy with what you get. Car smells like an ashtray? Gotta go to the counter. F250 in Philadelphia when you requested a compact? Gotta go to the counter. 9/10 when you get to the counter you're looking at 1/2 an hour and lots of conversation.

When was the last time you rented with them? For the last year or so, I showed up to the president’s circle section and took whatever I wanted- Infiniti, Audi, etc etc. I walked out a couple times with an SS Camaro convertible and a mustang GT convertible. With status at least, Hertz has been choose what you want for at least a year now.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I think a lot of it has to come down to location. If I’m picking something up at ORD, yeah just grab a Chrysler 300 or whatever from presidents circle. If you’re at a smaller airport, you can pick something from the app, but you’re still stuck dealing with the counter. If you’re renting from the middle of suburbia, you could be stuck with either of the 2 cars they have available when you get there.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Ixian posted:

There a lot of hate for Avis here?

I'm rare I think in that idgaf how nice the car is as long as it has bluetooth and a decent way to charge my phone. But once Avis gave me the last car in the lot and I parked as far away from my customers as possible because it looked like this:

Also thanks thread for the NE corridor tips y'all- I'm gonna try out Acela for the first time. First class baby let's train this poo poo up.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Initio posted:

I think a lot of it has to come down to location. If I’m picking something up at ORD, yeah just grab a Chrysler 300 or whatever from presidents circle. If you’re at a smaller airport, you can pick something from the app, but you’re still stuck dealing with the counter. If you’re renting from the middle of suburbia, you could be stuck with either of the 2 cars they have available when you get there.

This

My order of operations is National then Hertz then Enterprise. Corporate would want me to go Enterprise before Hertz, but outside of the onsite at our HQ I haven't had a good experience with Enterprise ever. They actually do a great job with our onsite fleet management - I pretty much scan my ID, scan the car, and then scan out at the gate. We get fresh cars every 4-6 weeks and they are usually virgins.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
You know you're flying out of a tiny rear end airport when a flight to Charlotte has six out twelve seats empty in first class.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Avis has garbage cars. The best I've ever gotten was an R/T Challenger.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I’m willing to drive a worse car if it means less time talking to rental car agency local staff.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is anyone here a Citi AA Executive Mastercard card holder? I'm thinking I should probably get lounge access again somehow with the amount of times I'm flying AA. PM me if you don't want to discuss publicly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Is anyone here a Citi AA Executive Mastercard card holder? I'm thinking I should probably get lounge access again somehow with the amount of times I'm flying AA. PM me if you don't want to discuss publicly.

Don't PM. I'd like to hear how this works out domestically from someone who has one, preferably compared to Priority Pass a-la Chase Sapphire Reserved. Internationally for that matter, but I'm guessing I already know that story.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Motronic posted:

Don't PM. I'd like to hear how this works out domestically from someone who has one, preferably compared to Priority Pass a-la Chase Sapphire Reserved. Internationally for that matter, but I'm guessing I already know that story.

Well, one difference is that every AU of the Citi AA Exec gets Admirals Club access.

And the cost of an AU is $0.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I have that card, got it before I got to BA silver. What specifically do you want to know? It’s very useful in that if my wife is traveling without me, she can use the lounges.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Motronic posted:

If you're One World sapphire or above (so AA platinum), you can use AA (and all one world) lounges for free on international routes so long as you have a ticket with a one world carrier.

This works for all segments of the route, too, not just the domestic - international and international - domestic connection (unlike loving United).

So the Admiral's Club membership is really only beneficial for US/Canadian itineraries.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

psydude posted:

So the Admiral's Club membership is really only beneficial for US/Canadian itineraries.

Yeah, so 90% of my travel.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Yeah, so 90% of my travel.

I was responding to his part about the international travel. If you're flying with AA a lot domestically, the mastercard is probably worth it for the lounge access alone.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

psydude posted:

I was responding to his part about the international travel. If you're flying with AA a lot domestically, the mastercard is probably worth it for the lounge access alone.

My bad, missed that part of the post.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I just read that this card offers a prorated refund on admirals club membership. Is this effective every year?

For instance - my company allows me to expense an admiral's club membership every year. Would the AA citi executive card give me a statement credit for the purchase of the admiral's club membership every year? That would essentially eliminate the annual fee and make it worth it for me to carry this card.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Potentially, but why? The main draw of the card is definitely the lounge access.

Just stopped by the IAH AC. There is a 60k mile signup offer, seems marginally better than the 50k one I found online. I signed up for this two years ago for 100k and can’t get another bonus til late 2019 unfortunately due to Citibank’s 24 month bonus rule.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Potentially, but why? The main draw of the card is definitely the lounge access.

Just stopped by the IAH AC. There is a 60k mile signup offer, seems marginally better than the 50k one I found online. I signed up for this two years ago for 100k and can’t get another bonus til late 2019 unfortunately due to Citibank’s 24 month bonus rule.

I'd pay for AC access, expense it, my company would reimburse me for the cost of it. Cost to me - $0

I'd apply for the card, pay the $450 annual fee, and Citi would give a statement credit for $X. Cost to me - $450 - $X. If X is anywhere near the $450 of an AC membership, my cost for the card would be essentially 0 and I'd have AC access.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Flying out of EWR today, sounds like they cancelled a bunch of flight due to weather? Doesn’t seem to affect my LAX flight but had to do the gate shuffle. Comfortably eating a wonderburger with a sightline of the gate when they changed it and I had to hoof it from end of the terminal to the other.

Edit: and they just bumped our gate again, only 2 spots but there’s no plane here. It’s still at the other gate.

Edit 2: and they gave us a new plane, delayed 1.5 hours.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 15, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

psydude posted:

If you're One World sapphire or above (so AA platinum), you can use AA (and all one world) lounges for free on international routes so long as you have a ticket with a one world carrier.

This works for all segments of the route, too, not just the domestic - international and international - domestic connection (unlike loving United).

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like it plugs the gaps in domestic lounge access in the US that are typical of Priority Pass. Now do I want to carry 2 $450 AF cards........

(answer: probably yes with all the statement credits)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

really wish delta would knock it off with their bullshit incremental delays. we were supposed to start boarding a half hour ago and they just now pushed a notification that the flight’s been delayed- boarding starting six minutes ago. plane isn’t even at the gate i’m watching it taxi up right now.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cacafuego posted:

I just read that this card offers a prorated refund on admirals club membership. Is this effective every year?

For instance - my company allows me to expense an admiral's club membership every year. Would the AA citi executive card give me a statement credit for the purchase of the admiral's club membership every year? That would essentially eliminate the annual fee and make it worth it for me to carry this card.
Might work the first year, but I don't think they'd let you purchase another membership while your Citi AA Exec card is active.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Might work the first year, but I don't think they'd let you purchase another membership while your Citi AA Exec card is active.

Bummer, ok, thanks!

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a clever system for keeping organized notes on places you’ve been? I’ve started traveling more for work to a variety of locations and I’m finding I can’t remember which hotel it was that had the mushy soft beds, whether the chicken parm at that restaurant was worth ordering again, what was that bbq place someone told me to try, etc. I tend to mostly go to the same 6-7 destinations but at a very irregular cadence, so I’m forgetting useful info all the time. In an ideal world, I would just write myself custom notes in the relevant Google Map locations, but I don’t believe that’s possible.

I’ve been lurking in this thread for a while and figure you all might have some brilliant way of keeping track of stuff that otherwise blurs together.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like it plugs the gaps in domestic lounge access in the US that are typical of Priority Pass. Now do I want to carry 2 $450 AF cards........

(answer: probably yes with all the statement credits)

I carry the AA exec and a priority pass card. The AA exec is killer for the authorized user access. I have family on my card so 4 people, traveling independently get lounge access including guests for a year for $450 total. That's about 10/person/month. That's a steal for my family.

Hell, have them kick some funds back to cover the fee. That's reasonable, you just have to trust them with your credit card.

Giraffe posted:

I’ve been lurking in this thread for a while and figure you all might have some brilliant way of keeping track of stuff that would otherwise blur together.

Any note software? Onenote or Evernote or keep or whatever. Make yourself a template then copy so you can search easily.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Giraffe posted:

Does anyone have a clever system for keeping organized notes on places you’ve been? I’ve started traveling more for work to a variety of locations and I’m finding I can’t remember which hotel it was that had the mushy soft beds, whether the chicken parm at that restaurant was worth ordering again, what was that bbq place someone told me to try, etc. I tend to mostly go to the same 6-7 destinations but at a very irregular cadence, so I’m forgetting useful info all the time. In an ideal world, I would just write myself custom notes in the relevant Google Map locations, but I don’t believe that’s possible.

I’ve been lurking in this thread for a while and figure you all might have some brilliant way of keeping track of stuff that otherwise blurs together.

I use yelp bookmarks. It’s not perfect but I do like the map mode. Yelp just rebranded bookmarks as “collections” meaning you can have several types of bookmarks if you wish. For example you might have a list called “to try for self” and another one for places you’d take your SO. You could write short reviews but that’s purely optional. I know google maps has a similar collections feature but haven’t played with it much.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I use Swarm to track where I've been. It's searchable and I have something like 7 years of data in there. Pretty cool. I use Foursquare or a custom Google Map to compile lists of stuff to do (this is usually for non-work travel).

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I use FlightMemory to track my past flights, but for what restaurants hotels, I use OneNote. I have a notebook specifically for travel, and a new tab for each city that I feel is noteworthy. Some towns are so small that you are going to stay at the same hotel, and eat at the same restaurants every single time so why bother filling out info from them.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to give Swarm a try. If I can remember to check in places, it looks like I can add private notes so I can at least send myself messages in the future to stop myself from blindly doing the same things over and over. "Dummy, you hate the onion rings here. Stop ordering them!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

UGH My hellweek of Texas travel is still a problem, even though I'm home. National claims they'll pay for my extra expenses, but now the airport hotel I stayed in for ~12 hours is charging me $700 in damages for a claimed spill. The only liquid my coworker and I had in the room was water, and WE certainly didn't cause any damages. Of course, I'm not in the habit of taking photos of hotel rooms as I'm about to leave, so I don't have proof it wasn't us, even though I always do a final sweep looking for forgotten items, so I know the room was fine when we left. Has this happened to anyone else? If management won't budge can I dispute the charge with my credit card company? I can't pay $700 for something I KNOW I didn't do, but I'm not sure what my options are here.