Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Never to either. Purely rental spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah... no. If it doesn't at least have Android auto I'm not renting it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lol if you connect your phone to a malware-ridden head unit. It's as safe as barebacking a transsexual prostitute in Patpong, except for your phone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Isn't the code on the head unit signed by Google? How the hell is malware supposed to get installed?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I heard hertz is rolling out their copy of National Executive aisle. Trying to get my national status matched right now so I can try it.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I somewhat remember this thread recommending a fantastic BBQ spot near DFW. Tomorrow I have 5 hours between end of training and my flight with a giant per diem: what's the spot?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Hard Eight!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

FunOne posted:

It's easier when they put you on the DNR.

But they all suck in their own special way depending on where you are.

Can someone explain why Hertz is always 5-6x more expensive than the rest? Like outlandishly so.

DNR?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

taco show posted:

Hard Eight!

Hard Eight is definitely good

About 15 minutes further northwest there's a spot called 407 bbq that I think is better. On RT 407 near 35.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Coco13 posted:

I somewhat remember this thread recommending a fantastic BBQ spot near DFW. Tomorrow I have 5 hours between end of training and my flight with a giant per diem: what's the spot?

taco show posted:

Hard Eight!

Definitely Hard Eight.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mandalay posted:

I heard hertz is rolling out their copy of National Executive aisle. Trying to get my national status matched right now so I can try it.

Update: Hertz gave me free Presidents Club status based on my National Executive Elite status.

(National gave me free Executive Elite status based on my AA Plat Pro status)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Do Not Rent

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

taco show posted:

Hard Eight!
This is the only answer.

Finally got my India trip confirmed. I have to fly United through IAD on the way out, and ORD on the way back so go ahead and loving shoot me now. Looking at my 777 seat map for IAD-FRA, business class is 2-4-2. What in the actual gently caress, United? I do get 3 Lufthansa segments on a 747 though, so that's pretty cool, even if those are 2-2-2. Anyone have any experience on either of those setups?

Also, I have a stopover in Frankfurt on my way back. Get into FRA on Saturday morning at 9 am and I don't depart for the US until Tuesday morning at 10:30. Plan is to take a train to Munich because Munich is awesome. Or should I stay in Frankfurt? Or go to Berlin?

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 12, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The middle seats seem like torture*

I have taken BA flights with op ups to business and enjoyed it.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Update: Hertz gave me free Presidents Club status based on my National Executive Elite status.

(National gave me free Executive Elite status based on my AA Plat Pro status)

Yea status with the rental companies is really a breeze if you have decent airline status. Did the exact same thing as you in reverse with delta, national and hertz.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Isn't the code on the head unit signed by Google? How the hell is malware supposed to get installed?

Android is about as secure as a wet paper bag in the best circumstances and the stuff running on a car entertainment system is gonna be at least a year out of date before the car even rolls off the assembly line. Separate from that, many head units reatain call history and phone books even when "erased." Seriously don't do it. Get a BT earpiece and a cigarette lighter adapter or USB data line breaker.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

This is the only answer.

Finally got my India trip confirmed. I have to fly United through IAD on the way out, and ORD on the way back so go ahead and loving shoot me now. Looking at my 777 seat map for IAD-FRA, business class is 2-4-2. What in the actual gently caress, United? I do get 3 Lufthansa segments on a 747 though, so that's pretty cool, even if those are 2-2-2. Anyone have any experience on either of those setups?

Also, I have a stopover in Frankfurt on my way back. Get into FRA on Saturday morning at 9 am and I don't depart for the US until Tuesday morning at 10:30. Plan is to take a train to Munich because Munich is awesome. Or should I stay in Frankfurt? Or go to Berlin?

If you haven't been to Berlin, go there. It's close to 5 hours via train though from FRA so you are really looking at an overnighter. Munich is about 3 hours train or so. Either one is better than staying in Frankfurt though if you do there's plenty of interesting things around it. You could get happily drunk taking a day-cruise up the Rhine Valley, for example, done that a couple times, it's nice in the summer and some interesting stops along the way. Or, go to Heidelberg or something.

United's 2-4-2 is poo poo business class and if you are paying (or your company is) don't get stuck in the middle 4, at all. Those seats are basically the "well, beats economy" ones you burn a GPU on.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My wife’s family flew to Frankfurt on Emirates business class and there’s actually a complimentary 40k distance drop off or pick up.

Berlin is nice, Munich is nice.

But if you want something closer like a 30 min subway trip try the town of Mainz. It’s a nice historical town to walk around

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

caberham posted:

My wife’s family flew to Frankfurt on Emirates business class and there’s actually a complimentary 40k distance drop off or pick up.

Berlin is nice, Munich is nice.

But if you want something closer like a 30 min subway trip try the town of Mainz. It’s a nice historical town to walk around

I agree. Forgot about Mainz, it's very nice as I remember. Frankfurt itself is nothing particularly special but there's lots of stuff to do around it on a weekend or day trip.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

17.5 hour flight to HKG coming up in a week and a half and my upgrade hasn't been confirmed yet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

17.5 hour flight to HKG coming up in a week and a half and my upgrade hasn't been confirmed yet.

That’s too bad I would be in Europe by then, or else I would invite you to a bbq

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

psydude posted:

you’ll survive in economy

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Welcome to my world :getin:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Looks like I’m gonna be flying into Boston for the next few months. Anyone have restaurant recommendations?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A little touristy

Legal seafood
Stuff near Faneuil hall
Mike’s pastry (super touristy)

And Boston LAN thread

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

If you haven't been to Berlin, go there.
I had a whole Berlin trip planned last year that got canceled, and it was a solid 5-6 days worth of stuff to go see and do. I found a cheap rental car for a few days, and there is a race event going on at the Nurburgring, so my plan now is to drive out that way and check that out Saturday and Sunday, spend Monday in Frankfurt, and fly home Tuesday morning. Just enough time to get a few Augustier Helles' and some Mezzo Mix into my checked luggage.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

sellouts posted:

you’ll survive in economy

I'm 6'5". So I'll survive very angrily.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DJCobol posted:

This is the only answer.

frankfurt sucks all the dicks in the world

if you want to stay close Heidelberg is nice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rex-Goliath posted:

Looks like I’m gonna be flying into Boston for the next few months. Anyone have restaurant recommendations?

heavily biased towards my old neighborhood:
myers + chang
toro
teranga
SRV
yankee lobster (get the lobster roll don't bother with other poo poo)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Miracle: there's currently one delayed departure at Atlanta

Murphy's law: it's your flight

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

psydude posted:

I'm 6'5". So I'll survive very angrily.

I'm 6'3". You get no sympathy for me.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rex-Goliath posted:

B&G Oyster. Neptune is also good.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Flour Bakery! There are a number of locations around the city, and everything is tasty. I always stock up on sticky buns when I'm there.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
DFW weather is wreaking havoc on AA flights today. I was going to miss my connection but talked my way onto an alternate routing through PHX.

Then I ended up misconnecting in phx and missing the last flight out to Houston. It sucks but at least AA paid for a night at the Hilton Phoenix airport, rebooked me on the earliest flight tomorrow (on a competing airline United), and pushed back my return flight a day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You flew all the way to Phoenix to go Dallas to Houston? drat.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

You flew all the way to Phoenix to go Dallas to Houston? drat.

No I was flying California-DFW-IAH and due to the thunderstorms in DFW loving everything up I flew California-PHX-IAH.

But since my inbound came from DFW it was late, and ATC delayed our landing in PHX.

Maybe we need a travel e/n forum this is getting boring and arcane.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Business travel is e/n by default

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mandalay posted:

DFW weather is wreaking havoc on AA flights today. I was going to miss my connection but talked my way onto an alternate routing through PHX.

Then I ended up misconnecting in phx and missing the last flight out to Houston. It sucks but at least AA paid for a night at the Hilton Phoenix airport, rebooked me on the earliest flight tomorrow (on a competing airline United), and pushed back my return flight a day.

Is that what happened? My first flight to DFW from SFO got cancelled, I rebooked through Charlotte, that got cancelled, and then rebooked through ORD and that was fine. Got stuck in a middle seat though, but such is life.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

Business travel is e/n by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh my goodness I have to wait 30 minutes extra for my checked luggage!!!!

Woe is me