Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Cirrial posted:

I'm sure plenty of backers learned to never back oh who the gently caress am I kidding no one ever learns anything from Kickstarter failures. Honestly, is Indiegogo that much more scam filled than Kickstarter these days? Everything sort of just feels like it blurs together.

Indiegogo scams are easier to pull off due to flexible funding and their requirements for projects aren't nearly as strict as Kickstater's. Which is not to say Kickstarter is particularly strict or that Kickstarter's guidelines are enforced correctly and consistently. Indiegogo is easier to have a successful scam, but either site allows someone to post all but the most obvious of scam projects with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Rosalind posted:

Indiegogo scams are easier to pull off due to flexible funding and their requirements for projects aren't nearly as strict as Kickstater's. Which is not to say Kickstarter is particularly strict or that Kickstarter's guidelines are enforced correctly and consistently. Indiegogo is easier to have a successful scam, but either site allows someone to post all but the most obvious of scam projects with ease.

They also like to defend the scam projects, didn't they refuse to take down that obviously fake device that would identify anything you pointed it at?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elliotw2 posted:

Man, look at all those stolen SNES and Neo-Geo sprites and constantly changing pixel resolution.

Yeah, I'm not sanguine they'll actually be able to port it as a functional cart. I'm not like Tron or anything but I'm sure it's one thing to be all cutesy-wutesy retro pixel art style on the surface running on modern poo poo, and quite another to actually have to work within the technical limitations of vintage videogame boxes.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

AlmightyBob posted:

They also like to defend the scam projects, didn't they refuse to take down that obviously fake device that would identify anything you pointed it at?

It's not a scam they had that poo poo on TNG in the 90s and now it's the future so it has to be possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Morglon posted:

It's not a scam they had that poo poo on TNG in the 90s and now it's the future so it has to be possible.

I'm just sayin', it's 2015. Where's my mass production hoverboards and Jaws 19?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm just sayin', it's 2015. Where's my mass production hoverboards and Jaws 19?

At least the hoverboards are (obliquely) coming along…

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
...and the shoes.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Otisburg posted:

Yeah, I'm not sanguine they'll actually be able to port it as a functional cart. I'm not like Tron or anything but I'm sure it's one thing to be all cutesy-wutesy retro pixel art style on the surface running on modern poo poo, and quite another to actually have to work within the technical limitations of vintage videogame boxes.

They say "Even more beautiful nostalgia. Moneyhorse is collaborating with Hyperkin to bring Glorious Leader! to the RetroN 5. That means a real, physical cartridge! (Either Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis)" in their page. What I understood from it was that it's going to probably run on Retron 5 hardware only bypassing emulation (isn't it android based?), not working on real consoles at all.

e: Logo stolen from Gradius, and the guy tying the US flag is from Metal Slug maybe?

Explosive Tampons has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Jan 7, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Japanese Phone Box posted:

They say "Even more beautiful nostalgia. Moneyhorse is collaborating with Hyperkin to bring Glorious Leader! to the RetroN 5. That means a real, physical cartridge! (Either Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis)" in their page. What I understood from it was that it's going to probably run on Retron 5 hardware only bypassing emulation (isn't it android based?), not working on real consoles at all.

Ah fair enough. I don't know about all the emulation boxes and stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Considering the dude didn't even finish the tutorial himself, no. Nobody learned a god drat thing from that whole charade.

Actually I learned that lolbertarians are the most gullible people

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Alan Smithee posted:

Actually I learned that lolbertarians are the most gullible people

For a group that's motto may as well be "caveat emptor," they sure do seem to fall for every scam out there as long as the scammer makes it about libertarianism in some way. I wonder how many libertarian dollars have been wasted on Galt's Gulches, island utopias, Ron Paul video games, gold coin investments, bitcoins, etc.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Still kicking myself that I didn't get my "Ron Pauletry" poetry chapbook written and published before he was tossed on an ice floe and pushed out to sea.

edit- I might be confused. What do Libertarians do with their sick and dying again?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit- I might be confused. What do Libertarians do with their sick and dying again?

Nutrient-rich paste. Whatever carbon that's left over is converted into synthetic diamonds for industrial use.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rosalind posted:

Maybe they are technically easier to accomplish, but if you look at the Indiegogo archive, the total amount of funding for video games is a pittance compared to Kickstarter. You are probably more likely to get a substantial sum of scam money on Kickstarter, even without flexible funding. On Indiegogo you are going to get five bucks.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe they are technically easier to accomplish, but if you look at the Indiegogo archive, the total amount of funding for video games is a pittance compared to Kickstarter. You are probably more likely to get a substantial sum of scam money on Kickstarter, even without flexible funding. On Indiegogo you are going to get five bucks.

That's still a six pack I wouldn't have otherwise.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The 100% realistic FPS game

quote:

I want to create a 100% realistic FPS game, that makes your player limp if wounded in the leg, unable to shoot if wounded in arms etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1111022153/the-100-realistic-fps-game?ref=category

eat your heart out Arma

quote:

Risks and challenges

The most threatening risk is that one of the big software developers will pick up the idea before it's getting patented, and make the game faster than I and my team can accomplish.

ORIGINAL GAME DO NOT STEAL

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

I want to make a FPS that makes you ragequit if hit because you'll be stuck with a useless character until someone puts you out of your misery.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I want to make a FPS that makes you ragequit if hit because you'll be stuck with a useless character until someone puts you out of your misery.

you are permadead. Click here to purchase new life

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Amateur developers try so hard to develop a 100% realistic FPS. They never actually go out and try shooting anything or being shot at even by airsoft guns to realize just how limited you are when moving with nothing but a keyboard and mouse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

If you just get wounded you can play some minigames like "Medically induced coma" and "intense physical rehabilitation" for 8 months, followed by "extensive criminal trial under intense media scrutiny" for a year before you can play round 2.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

DayZ. :v:

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1111022153/the-100-realistic-fps-game?ref=category

eat your heart out Arma

This original idea inspired me to make my own videogame. :angel: AN OPEN WORLD SANDBOX GAME WHERE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING :angel:
Risks involved: I can't code.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

To make the game that realistic I need to do a lot of interviews and physical tests with real soldiers, who have been in actual wars, and know what it's really like out there.
Physical tests? What like give a paraplegic vet a rifle and see how fast he hops the 100m?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The 100% realistic shooting game should also involve you having to do ingame jobs to save up for the gun or enroll into the army. You'll have to worry about feeding yourself and getting enough sleep. All of this is done in accurate real time like those flying simulators.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty much The War Z's business model.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chitoryu12 posted:

Amateur developers try so hard to develop a 100% realistic FPS. They never actually go out and try shooting anything or being shot at even by airsoft guns to realize just how limited you are when moving with nothing but a keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, most FPS games are more like driving a really fast tank than controlling a human being on a battlefield. A small tank with super high mobility...

Basically we're all drone pilots already.

If you want to even approach a "realistic FPS", you need really accurate motion controls.

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty much The War Z's business model.

gently caress :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Athletic Footjob posted:

The 100% realistic shooting game should also involve you having to do ingame jobs to save up for the gun or enroll into the army. You'll have to worry about feeding yourself and getting enough sleep. All of this is done in accurate real time like those flying simulators.

After the battle your character will be required to run around picking up spent brass. You will then be required to play various minigames, such as the Powder Scale minigame and Press Operation minigame, to load the ammo.

If you forgot to put on your hearing protection during the last firefight, your computer will emit a high pitched tone during these minigames.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Occasionally the game will stop accepting user input and show replays of past games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

After the battle your character will be required to run around picking up spent brass. You will then be required to play various minigames, such as the Powder Scale minigame and Press Operation minigame, to load the ammo.

If you forgot to put on your hearing protection during the last firefight, your computer will emit a high pitched tone during these minigames.

I dunno, I think it would actually be kinda fun to have an FPS that lets you do in-depth handloading (more than what New Vegas has) to fully customize your performance. I just have a thing for detailed customization and personalization in games.

And if you accidentally overload or underload a cartridge, have fun!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The game starts with a week-long "get the cosmoline out of every nook and cranny" mini game!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Cirrial posted:

Did Ron Paul Revolution teach us nothing?!

Considering the kickstarter made double what it was asking and produced poo poo, I think the lesson is, "Leap onto a meme/trend and sell something as soon as possible. Don't worry about having to actually produce something, just get the cash register working!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

eat your heart out Arma

I'm pretty sure you could do that since Operation Flashpoint. I think you'd drop you gun if you got shot in the arms (because even then they had fiat to make it still fun) and fall over if shot in the legs and only be capable of crawling if shot in both legs.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Young Freud posted:

I think you'd drop you gun if you got shot in the arms (because even then they had fiat to make it still fun) and fall over if shot in the legs and only be capable of crawling if shot in both legs.

This was also a thing in the original Deus Ex too. I remember having to restart the tutorial because I had accidentally blown off my legs with explosives, and got trapped crawling around an area. I laughed really hard for a little while about it, but later it kind of wore thin.

Locational damage and consequences have been around for a real long time, and what a lot of devs found in experimenting with it was that most players found it pretty tedious and unfun. The people that did find it fun coalesced into a very small market around things like Arma and weird Half-Life mods.

I really want to hear that 100% Realistic FPS dude justify what he wants that's different from what Arma already offers because I think it'd be hilarious.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On the one hand a game where you play as Kim Jong Un blowing up the US military sounds really fun, on the other rushing out a videogame to capitalise on a bit of controversy in the news is ridiculously shady even for a kickstarter. That is a beautiful screencap though.

Remember the good old days when crappy pixel sidescrollers made to capitalize on controversy at least had the decency to be freeware?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sleeveless posted:

Remember the good old days when crappy pixel sidescrollers made to capitalize on controversy at least had the decency to be freeware?

Lol. I'm glad someone else thought that game looked similar :)

In case anyone was wondering: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_O.K_%96_A_Murder_Simulator

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

eat your heart out Arma

You have to pay to see a demo of the game :confused:

2,000 dkk is $318 USD, uhh I don't know I typed that currency in right

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dkk = Doobie's Krypto Kurrency

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

dkk = Doobie's Krypto Kurrency

lol GOD BLESS and large chins amirite

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And the games that have relatively "realistic" damage always skimp on the sound. Guns are supposed to be extraordinarily loud and echo indoors, to the point where a machine gun should sound like one continuous blast. But they go for kinda ridiculous popping noises or stock sound effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I just want to see the tears that would result from including realistic reloading instead of just "press button for bullet"