Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

prefect posted:

In 230 BC, the state of Qin had defeated the state of Han. A Han aristocrat named Zhang Liang swore revenge on the Qin emperor. He sold all his valuables and in 218 BC, he hired a strongman assassin and built him a heavy metal cone weighing 120 jin (roughly 160 lb or 97 kg).[40] The two men hid among the bushes along the emperor's route over a mountain. At a signal, the muscular assassin hurled the cone at the first carriage and shattered it. However, the emperor was actually in the second carriage, as he was travelling with two identical carriages for this very reason. Thus the attempt failed.[60] Both men were able to escape in spite of a huge manhunt.[40]

He threw a "heavy metal cone" at somebody to kill them? Who does that?

Cone Threw is an ancient Chinese art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

prefect posted:

In 230 BC, the state of Qin had defeated the state of Han. A Han aristocrat named Zhang Liang swore revenge on the Qin emperor. He sold all his valuables and in 218 BC, he hired a strongman assassin and built him a heavy metal cone weighing 120 jin (roughly 160 lb or 97 kg).[40] The two men hid among the bushes along the emperor's route over a mountain. At a signal, the muscular assassin hurled the cone at the first carriage and shattered it. However, the emperor was actually in the second carriage, as he was travelling with two identical carriages for this very reason. Thus the attempt failed.[60] Both men were able to escape in spite of a huge manhunt.[40]

He threw a "heavy metal cone" at somebody to kill them? Who does that?

Okay, so people wielding bizzare-rear end weapons in Dynasty Warriors games is now no longer strange to me.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Either get me some silk for my underwear or I will burn this city to the ground!" - amenities guy

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

"Either get me some silk for my underwear or I will burn this city to the ground!" - amenities guy

*begins building a killdozer tank in his garage*

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't like how a ranged unit upgrades from one that has a 2 tile range to a 1 tile range sometimes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't understand how the warmonger penalties work in this game. In my current game I've never started a war, been declared on twice by Russia, and ended the war relatively quickly both times. The first war was over without any cities trading ownership, in the second war I took a 1 pop city they had founded next to my borders two turns earlier and a city state that was allied with them. I got them to cede control of their city as part of the peace treaty. None of this seems very war-mongery to me, and yet the whole world is denouncing me because of warmonger penalties. (Ecxept for Gorgo, who is bae.) What gives?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

botany posted:

I don't understand how the warmonger penalties work in this game. In my current game I've never started a war, been declared on twice by Russia, and ended the war relatively quickly both times. The first war was over without any cities trading ownership, in the second war I took a 1 pop city they had founded next to my borders two turns earlier and a city state that was allied with them. I got them to cede control of their city as part of the peace treaty. None of this seems very war-mongery to me, and yet the whole world is denouncing me because of warmonger penalties. (Ecxept for Gorgo, who is bae.) What gives?

Did you refuse to make peace at all?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

homullus posted:

Did you refuse to make peace at all?

First war I didn't, second war I stalled until I had taken out the city state. Is that what causes it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Niwrad posted:

I don't like how a ranged unit upgrades from one that has a 2 tile range to a 1 tile range sometimes.

Likewise.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

prefect posted:

Could be. I'm not a real French person, so it could be a-okay grammatically. :shrug:

Also, Philip is just a huge rear end in a top hat at all times. Victoria's a snot ("thank you for the gifts; rest assured we will treat them with the respect they deserve"), but Philip calls your delegates heretics and wants to inquisition them for having wrong thoughts. Never not an rear end in a top hat. :mad:

Maybe it was just how they said it back then. Frederick Barbarossa speaks an extremely antiquated version of german in the game, so maybe they did the same for Catherine and the others.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Is there still a way to culture steal a city like in 4 that I'm just missing, or does that no longer happen?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

botany posted:

First war I didn't, second war I stalled until I had taken out the city state. Is that what causes it?

I actually don't know! It's my theory so I'm asking people when they talk about being labelled warmongers.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

S.T.C.A. posted:

Is there still a way to culture steal a city like in 4 that I'm just missing, or does that no longer happen?

There is not.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Next question: why can't I make an oilwell here?

I have researched combustion, which as far as I can tell means I should be able to??

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

botany posted:

I have researched combustion, which as far as I can tell means I should be able to??

Finish Plastics, you need to make an offshore rig, oil wells are for terrestrial oil.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

botany posted:

Uh, you need plastics to build oil wells in the water. It's right on the same screen

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks, didn't know that!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Das Butterbrot posted:

Maybe it was just how they said it back then. Frederick Barbarossa speaks an extremely antiquated version of german in the game, so maybe they did the same for Catherine and the others.

Bleh. They just got some random young guy with a voice that really doesn't fit for Peter.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

S.T.C.A. posted:

It's one of the major things I missed from 4, being able to be a passive aggressive dick to your neighbor by basically flaunting how good it is over here until you absorb or make useless the neighboring city.

Was nice to see those borders expand rapidly or way outproduce culture and get those tiles converted.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait wait what does "cede city" actually do? I just randomly checked why Peter hates me and it's because I have an 18 points negative with him for occupying one of his cities, despite the fact that I specifically got him to cede the city as part of the peace treaty.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

homullus posted:

I actually don't know! It's my theory so I'm asking people when they talk about being labelled warmongers.

This might help, but the author admits it's not solid info based on anything more than speculation.

Nevertheless, Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knNwW4vJUUY

It may depend on where you fight (controlled territory, neutral, enemy) and if you're attacking, defending, winning, or losing battles. If you defend in your own territory you get the least penalty (if any). If you destroy a unit in someone's territory, they get a large penalty, and you get a small penalty as well. If you stay in your base and fortify, and focus on not letting units die, you'll be in good shape. Likewise, if you fortify in enemy territory and focus on killing their units whenever possible, also a good shape.

Rome declared war on me around turn 30 and sent like 20 guys at me, and I pushed him back and cleared his army, and his city I was attacking had already began to rebel, made peace next turn.

botany posted:

Wait wait what does "cede city" actually do? I just randomly checked why Peter hates me and it's because I have an 18 points negative with him for occupying one of his cities, despite the fact that I specifically got him to cede the city as part of the peace treaty.

I "ceded" some cities once and it gave them all back to Gandhi. I did some reading, and what may have happened was an agreement to simultaneously cede and return cities in the same deal. Someone on youtube said cede = relinquish control, which makes sense because that's what the word means. I still hesitate to check it though.

edit: the points might be residual from war.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 22, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

botany posted:

Same here. I think it's a bug. I assumed when they "cede" the city I would not be hit with occupying it anymore.

Has anyone tried making resources more abundant? Does it make even the luxury resources more abundant? I want more strategic resources on the map but not if it means a ton more luxury ones pop up too.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

botany posted:

If you take a city from somebody but they don't formally cede it to you, you're just occupying it and it's not actually yours. If you get the player whose city it was to cede it to you, they will always be mad at you for taking their city (which makes sense), but the rest of the world won't view you having the city as a problem. Also, as long as the city is occupied, its growth and production will be lower, so you need them to cede it if you want it to actually be productive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IAmUnaware posted:

If you take a city from somebody but they don't formally cede it to you, you're just occupying it and it's not actually yours. If you get the player whose city it was to cede it to you, they will always be mad at you for taking their city (which makes sense), but the rest of the world won't view you having the city as a problem. Also, as long as the city is occupied, its growth and production will be lower, so you need them to cede it if you want it to actually be productive.

This is true, but even taking a city in a defensive war will always give you warmonger points. If you don't want them you have to give the city back.

Which makes sense, after WW2 we didn't split up the the cities in Italy or anything, and people were wary of Russia for keeping Berlin split up. I just wish the penalties weren't so huge.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is it just me, or does everything take way too long to produce in this game?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

IAmUnaware posted:

The problem is that sometimes the AI absolutely will not cede a city in a peace deal. I've been at war far longer than I ought simply because the AI is steadfast on not ceding an outlying province while I'm storming their capital. If I absolutely crush a dude, ceding a city should be on the table but more often than not, the AI won't do it for anything.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I loaded up my current campaign for the first time after the patch last night, checked my Bombards and were pleased to see that they all had 6 range (which at the time I had assumed was from the fact that each had its own observation balloon and was adjacent to the ones assigned to the other units).

A few turns later, I was moving Field Guns around in preparation for my first war with Tomyris when I noticed they all have 6 range as well, as do my Privateers. I'm too lazy to use any mods until the Workshop comes out, so I have to assume this has something to do with the patch? Anyone had this happen?

FooF posted:

The problem is that sometimes the AI absolutely will not cede a city in a peace deal. I've been at war far longer than I ought simply because the AI is steadfast on not ceding an outlying province while I'm storming their capital. If I absolutely crush a dude, ceding a city should be on the table but more often than not, the AI won't do it for anything.

Yeah, my first war with America (as Germany) in my very first game resulted in my overlooking the fact that every city I'd taken except New York was ceded to me, and Teddy would not for love or money agree to it during the interwar period, so I wound up having to declare another war and capture the sole remaining American city of San Francisco

Teddy's defeat speech actually made me feel bad, obviously I'm still contaminated with national loyalty.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
Sometimes after researching feudalism, my builders will have 7 or 9 build actions instead of 5. Once I had 10 on a builder that I had already used.

I also get "modifiers" on some starting cities, like I'll have +8.4 faith and +22 gold and +5 culture and I don't know why. Feels really broken when I get craftsmanship before I can even get a second build order out.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

botany posted:

Thanks, didn't know that!

Blame it on the UI.

Also finally got a win on Immortal 6player. Pericles sure is strong!

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

kid sinister posted:

Is it just me, or does everything take way too long to produce in this game?

It takes all of my cities (except my capital) a whole era to produce one military unit, and by the time it's out it is already obsolete.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Mystic_Shadow posted:

It takes all of my cities (except my capital) a whole era to produce one military unit, and by the time it's out it is already obsolete.

The game seems to assume optimization of production (gotta overlap those Industrial Zones), while lowballing Science costs.

I wonder what Eureka-rate the devs assume? The AI appears to be rather poor at getting them, given the number of techs vs Science-per-turn rates I see.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, my game as Russia went out of control. I started generating so many Great Writers I ran out of places to put their works time and time again. Peter the Great, you don't gotta be THAT great!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alright...so having played this game for a few weeks now is there a general consensus on who the biggest pain in the rear end to play against is? Because boy howdy do I loving hate Teddy "Six-foot-tall penis with a mustache" Roosevelt.

Every single time I play as a good expansionist civ I seem to get him as one of my nearby neighbors and yeah gently caress him.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 22, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Do the new district setup make it tough to play an island map? Just realized it wouldn't give you many tiles to work with.

Crazy Ted posted:

Alright...so having played this game for a few weeks now is there a general consensus on who the biggest pain in the rear end to play against is? Because boy howdy do I loving hate Teddy "Six-foot-tall penis with a mustache" Roosevelt.

Every single time I play as a good expansionist civ I seem to get him as one of my nearby neighbors and yeah gently caress him.

I dislike Russia because the extra tile bonus and the ability to build on tundra lets them just expand like crazy. Tough to keep up if they are on the same continent.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Do the new district setup make it tough to play an island map? Just realized it wouldn't give you many tiles to work with.

I haven't used Island maps much, but I can only imagine that it would if you use them regularly. The whole thing with districts is that it makes city planning and location a much more thought-out process on the user's end.

Niwrad posted:

I dislike Russia because the extra tile bonus and the ability to build on tundra lets them just expand like crazy. Tough to keep up if they are on the same continent.
I swear to god every single time I try to play a game with Rome he ends up on the same continent and well there goes 90% the fun playing as Rome. Too many cities? DENOUNCE! Take opposing cities after another civ hits you with a Surprise War? DENOUNCE! Too popular with City States? DENOUNCE! Go to war with a civ that he's also at war with already? DENOUNCE! Even if you have used a solid Casus Belli? DENOUNCE!

SOP when I'm playing a game with Roosevelt on the same continent is that I've got every other leader in the hemisphere disliking or actively denouncing me by about 1 A.D., with Roosevelt ready to launch a war at any moment.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 22, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crazy Ted posted:

Phillip has always been an rear end in a top hat to me. Not just with the religious units, either; he's gone after me himself, and he's sent city-states after me. (That was fun when I was Germany, though. :getin:)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

prefect posted:

Phillip has always been an rear end in a top hat to me. Not just with the religious units, either; he's gone after me himself, and he's sent city-states after me. (That was fun when I was Germany, though. :getin:)

On the other hand, if you could take out his religious units and force his cities with Holy Sites to convert to yours, he would be a fantastically useful idiot :getin:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

How do you rename cities in this game? The patch enabled it but damned if I can find out how in this godforsaken UI.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive Branch posted:

How do you rename cities in this game? The patch enabled it but damned if I can find out how in this godforsaken UI.

I know this one! :v:

Open the Extensive City Details tab--that's the one on the left that looks like a print document of some sort--and it'll slide out a tab from the left side of the screen. It has details on like amenities, growth rate, all kinds of boring poo poo.

At the veeeeeeeeery top--you might have to scroll wheel up--it lists the city's name. If you hover over it, it shows a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny fuckin pencil. If you click on that, it'll... well, theoretically rename a city. I did this in a late game where I couldn't be arsed to relearn what I changed Neckargemund to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

They have often been pretty good about doing neat stuff with dialects for the languages for the different leaders in Civ 5. There used to be a detailed list of what languages & dialects and with what accents all the leaders spoke for that game. Dunno if they kept that up here.

I haven't paid attention to Montezuma's speech, but there are absolutely native speakers of Nahuatl still in parts of Mexico.