Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I posted this in the MOTYC thread but I figured it could go in here :shobon:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hiroki Goto

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

MOTYC :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Angle's opponent on the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show will be his long-time associate through the amateur wrestling circuit, Nagata.

Also, here is the match I just posted for those who can't use sendspace: http://theditch.biz/purobin/TakanMinodyVsSanterryJumbokiku.avi

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HulkaMatt posted:

I posted this in the MOTYC thread but I figured it could go in here :shobon:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hiroki Goto

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

MOTYC :)

MOTY for NJPW, but not overall. I thought it was a little underwhelming after it being hyped.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I think the problem I had with it is, they spent months building up Goto's finisher, then that was one of the first nearfalls and they went a long long while after that. I prefer Nagata vs Tanahashi from April to it, along with KENTA/Ishimori vs Marufuji/Kota.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ditch, do you have links for those? I was quite impressed by Goto/Tanahashi, but I don't have much exposure to Puro. I guess the northern lights suplex as a counter to a test of strength was pretty interesting, and while I missed some of the middle of the match, the last section was great - especially Goto beating on Tanahashi's neck with those elbow drops.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's not quite an NLS, it's a "double wrist armsault". Absurd name, but that's what it is. It gets used from time to time.

The tag I referenced is on the NOAH site. Here's Tanahashi vs Nagata April: http://theditch.biz/purobin/04-13-07TanahashiVsNagata.avi

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Much obliged.

That match was INCREDIBLE. Tanahashi running over Nagata's leg with the multiple dragon screws was something I'd never seen before. When he starts getting cocky - a slap, a grandiose pose and Nagata is PISSED the resultant elbow shots, knee shots, stiff kicks and the Two running kicks where Nagata blasts Tanashi right in the mush, were WICKED. I was pleased to see the exploder suplex and leg capture suplex used as transitional type moves, since they've so rarely employed in WWE. The finish was OK too - I was a little saddened to see that Nagata used the Back Drop/driver, since I see that as Morishimas (probably incorrectly) - but that's hardly a knock on the match quality.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Nagata was using the backdrop hold as a finisher before Morishima, though in recent years he's moved away from it. In fact, in terms of the bridging backdrop suplex, he's probably the main top-level heavyweight to use it since Jumbo and Steve Williams tended to do the release version.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

The DQ isn't as important as it is that he was brought over and was second fiddle to Shannon Moore and a match that never even happened since TNA didn't have him under contract. The way TNA talked about him and built him up made him seem totally unimportant.

My favorite part is how they billed him as THE HIGH FLYING TANAHASHI

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Those of you with a PWtorrents account really need to jump on the Public Bathhouse Deathmatch torrent because that is simultaneously the best and the worst of all indy sleaze.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I don't suppose any of you guys could give me a quick rundown on the current personalities in the various puro feds? A bit like how someone might ask for the stars on Smackdown and you'd say "Taker - respected veteran, powerhouse, Rey - broken down high-flyer, Edge - returning ex-champion," etc. ?

I've come to realise that there's more to puro than I originally gave it credit for - especially those two Tanahashi matches posted earlier on vs. Nagata and vs. Goto. and I'd like to know a little more than the occasional youtube link!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Jagtpanther posted:

I don't suppose any of you guys could give me a quick rundown on the current personalities in the various puro feds? A bit like how someone might ask for the stars on Smackdown and you'd say "Taker - respected veteran, powerhouse, Rey - broken down high-flyer, Edge - returning ex-champion," etc. ?

I've come to realise that there's more to puro than I originally gave it credit for - especially those two Tanahashi matches posted earlier on vs. Nagata and vs. Goto. and I'd like to know a little more than the occasional youtube link!
Given that there's so very many wrestlers, that would be rather time-consuming. Maybe head over to http://puroresufan.com and its subsites and look at the profiles they have for background info, then... just start watchin' stuff.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I really only meant the main stars - but that's cool - thanks for the link, and I'll check that out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jagtpanther posted:

I really only meant the main stars - but that's cool - thanks for the link, and I'll check that out.

Misawa - Respected owner, elbows your face, drops you on head
Kobashi - Veteran. Chopped the cancer out of his body. Chops your chest, drops you on head
KENTA - Cocky dick. Kicks you in head, drops you on head.
Morishima - Giant Japanese Baby - Drops you on head

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Marufuji - All kinds of awesome

:colbert:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Danshoku Dino - Affluent Connecticut blueblood with a snobby attitude

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/72146
THIS WEEK: Steve Corino talks! A lot! And I give a shout-out to WH2K!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Danshoku Dino - Affluent Connecticut blueblood with a snobby attitude
You forgot his sculpted abdomen.

Dr. Destructo
Jun 14, 2005

My SKULL!
Yoshiaki Yago - Japanese Indy Darling. Punches your heart. Drops you on your head. LAMF.

CIMA - HE. LIKES. COLA. Bursts your lungs. Drops you on your head.

Get the common thread? Good, now for a change up.

Yoshihiro Takayama - Face by Don Frye. Hair by Prince Valiant. Grinds your bones to make his bread. Fucker truly OWNS his ring entrance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Corino better be serious about a book because I'll buy it just to see who is on THE LIST. I don't think it is possible for him to keep things concise and it makes his livejournals and interviews so much better since he'll just say everything about everything. That story about calling Misawa lazy and loving everything up is great.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I can totally see Misawa saying "screw this, they'll get Kikuchi and like it" for a house show. He's old, he gets to pick his spots.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl

Ditch posted:

Angle's opponent on the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show will be his long-time associate through the amateur wrestling circuit, Nagata.

Also, here is the match I just posted for those who can't use sendspace: http://theditch.biz/purobin/TakanMinodyVsSanterryJumbokiku.avi
I'm unsure how this makes me feel.

the video that is, I don't really care about Angle

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match: 11/24/07 Sappro STV SUPIKA
Kotaro SUZUKI & Ricky MARVIN (Champion) vs. Naruki DOI & Masato YOSHINO (Challenger)
@17 min 39 sec. DOI beat SUZUKI from MUSCULAR-BOMB
YOSHINO & DOI became the NEW (7th) GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Champion Team.

:woop:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

:havlat: :wooper: NEW CHAMPIONS :wooper: :havlat:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It was sorta obvious that DG wouldn't job out their tag champs and lose FOUR IN A ROW to Marvin/Suzuki.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Some pics from HUSTLEMANIA:
http://www.puroresufan.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4009.840

Main results: Sapp over HG, Sakata over Esperanza after Esperanza's lazer beam attack was reflected at him by Sakata's ultra-hot wife Eiko Koike. Kawada did an Elvis impersonation in lieu of wrestling.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

Some pics from HUSTLEMANIA:
http://www.puroresufan.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4009.840

Main results: Sapp over HG, Sakata over Esperanza after Esperanza's lazer beam attack was reflected at him by Sakata's ultra-hot wife Eiko Koike. Kawada did an Elvis impersonation in lieu of wrestling.

This picture alone is going to make the rest of my day.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm watching NOAH on Japanese TV over here and there's a 6-man tag with KENTA and two other guys vs. 3 other guys. Question: Who is this fat gently caress on KENTA's team? He has a J-mullet and wears amouth mask to the ring and carries a hook with him.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That would be Akitoshi Saito, former NJ midcarder turned NOAH semi-uppercarder.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
So in case some of you were wanting to do the AJ Top 50 of the '90s vote but decided not to because of the deadline, well, I'm going to allow late ballots, though there will be a slight knock on how much they're worth. Given how few votes are in so far, every vote will make a BIG difference so don't hesitate! Let me know if you want to take me up on an extension.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

drat i really wish i had gone through with watching all that AJPW but I got to 1992 and just didn't have the time. blame NJ's resurgence and the one million great indie tournaments that have been promoted this year.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

Capsaicin posted:

I'm watching NOAH on Japanese TV over here and there's a 6-man tag with KENTA and two other guys vs. 3 other guys. Question: Who is this fat gently caress on KENTA's team? He has a J-mullet and wears amouth mask to the ring and carries a hook with him.

I believe the hook is called the Sickle of Death.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

RichestManInTown posted:

He has a vaguely 'grim reaper' gimmick but mostly he's just a chunky guy who does strikes.

Dr. Destructo
Jun 14, 2005

My SKULL!

RichestManInTown posted:

Close, that's the name of his scissor kick.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Raffles posted:

drat i really wish i had gone through with watching all that AJPW but I got to 1992 and just didn't have the time. blame NJ's resurgence and the one million great indie tournaments that have been promoted this year.
But the whole point is that you can still get a ballot in after 12/3 so please try :(

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Its a really great concept, but fifty matches and ten years is way too much time for me. I have a huge backlog of 90s All Japan stuff that I intend to watch someday, but there's no one I'll get to it within a month (or even without a year). Just assume there was a ballot that completely overvalued Joe Malenko and the Can-Ams.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm extending the project.

Primary deadline is still the 3rd, though I'll push that up to 4PM EST.

Secondary deadline is January 9th at 4PM EST. Ballots sent after the first deadline to this point will have one point shaved off per entry, so 50th goes from 11 points to 10 and 1st goes from 75 to 74, and so on in between.

Drop-dead deadline is February 15th at 4PM EST. Ballots sent between the second and drop-dead point will have two points shaved per entry. The total value of the ballot will still be over 90% of the original votes, but at the same time those getting it done on time deserve a reward.

A LOT of cappers contributed to this, so I figure they deserve to have the stuff watched by as many people as possible. Plus I know many people are putting in a good faith effort but won't get in on time; they should be able to finish.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Ditch, please tell me about the BJW Deathmatch wars show. There was what seemed to be a squad called "Men's Club". Who are these fine Asian fellows?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Former Kaientai member Men's Teioh and his male harem.

Seriously.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Ditch posted:

Former Kaientai member Men's Teioh and his male harem.

Seriously.

There's like, 8 of them. :confused: And they were all beating up some guy in pink trunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He was an original member of the group who I believe was kicked out. Probably didn't suck enough dick or something.