Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I feel for you.

Do you qualify for food stamps? Or food from a food bank? I've done that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

cloudstrife2993 posted:

1700 calories a day?

Wonderful? I'm a 5'3" woman, I don't need more than 2000 to maintain my weight, 1700 is for weight loss.

Don't give up Aculard. See if you can get into some kind of mental health program that has a housing assistance program attached to it. Usually, if you show you're a decent, work-hard person, your case worker can finagle things so you get into a spot. All you have to do is be "homeless." Leave your husband, boom, you're homeless, and into a spot. Its tricky, but if your situation just worsens your illness, you gotta try to get out of there. Theres nothing wrong with being on welfare when you need it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I am eating about 1200-1500 calories/day right now for dieting and I feel fine while taking Focalin/dexmethylphenidate (and while not taking it for that matter). On a usual sedentary day anyway. On a more active day I eat more. I'm still pretty overweight at the moment though and I don't expect to keep going at that intake rate when I get out of the overweight category (and probably won't want to anyway).

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Qu Appelle posted:

I feel for you.

Do you qualify for food stamps? Or food from a food bank? I've done that before.

Naw unfortunately a lot of the welfare programs won't help anyone who isn't a single mother with a missing leg or something (pardon the phrase). We'd only get up to 1k a month if we were lucky and our rent is 920. Thank god tomorrow I see my really old doc and hope he'll do the disability package for me.

Thanks 2508084, I feel a bit bad spergin' out online like that but that is good advice if things get really bad. I'll look into my area's shelters n' crap.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Aculard posted:

Naw unfortunately a lot of the welfare programs won't help anyone who isn't a single mother with a missing leg or something (pardon the phrase).

They will, you just have to prove yourself, unfortunately. It took me a long time and a lot of effort, but you can get into programs and get help. In california if you make less than, like, 19k/year and live on your own, you qualify. If anything else, look into going back to school if you can. Financial aid is 5500$/year (2 full time, 12 unit, semesters), that'll rent you a room in someones house. Even community colleges have health services offices covered in the tuition so you can see someone and get a (cheap) referral.

In my county, theres a Super Secret Health Insurance Program. Basically no one knows about it, but its for people who can't afford to pay for their health care. It IS health insurance. You see doctors, psychiatrists (with a referral from a GP), it coveres medications/tests/etc. They don't advertise it at ALL. You have to know someone who knows about the program. Look into 211.org, you'd be surprised how much help IS out there when you're willing to jump through hoops. I went through a lot of bad poo poo in this process, but none of it was as bad as my old situation, living in a toxic environment with someone who didn't like, care or understand me.

for the record: I'm a 24 year old college student with all her limbs and no children. I'm just pretty bad on the mental health scale.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 9, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
As someone recently prescribed Adderall, what vitamins/minerals should I be supplementing my diet with?

Taking Zinc and Magnesium seems to cut down on the muscle soreness and help me wind down later at night, and I heard I should try to get more potassium in my diet (I have tons of almonds for this).

Is there anything else I'm missing?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

ClosedBSD posted:

As someone recently prescribed Adderall, what vitamins/minerals should I be supplementing my diet with?

Taking Zinc and Magnesium seems to cut down on the muscle soreness and help me wind down later at night, and I heard I should try to get more potassium in my diet (I have tons of almonds for this).

Is there anything else I'm missing?

I just asked this in W&W since I can't eat very much anymore. I was recommended NOW Eve Multivitamins. They have a mens line, if youre a dude, I don't know if it matters or not. Theyre cheaper on the original site than what they are on amazon, I think.

e. take potassium for muscle soreness.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Aculard posted:

Naw unfortunately a lot of the welfare programs won't help anyone who isn't a single mother with a missing leg or something (pardon the phrase). We'd only get up to 1k a month if we were lucky and our rent is 920. Thank god tomorrow I see my really old doc and hope he'll do the disability package for me.

I hope so, too! Fingers crossed!

Food Stamps should be relatively easy to get, it's government assistance, but not tied to welfare. And private/charity-based food bank programs generally only need a zip code, if even that. If you're able, it might be worth calling around and see. If you call a 211 or another info number, they should be able to give you more info. Also, ask your doc about resources that you could tap into that they know about.

Here's more info on food stamps: http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 10, 2011

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
You guys are great. I think it's a good time for me to say that I'm Canadian though! I really appreciate all the help you guys were scrapping together. If only Ontario had food stamps :sigh:

Leaving in a few minutes to drive out an hour to an old doctor and see if he can do my disability forms hrnghgh. So nervous. I managed to whip up 140$ (and then some incoming the next few days) in art commissions to help a friend with putting down his cat but now he's having second thoughts. Instead, since he can't keep her at his student housing, he's going to let some stranger on craigslist take her and care for a cat with cancer who throws up and has a mean temper. I hope it ends well if that's what happens.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Whereabouts in Ontario are you? At least you can claim most medication against your taxes, and OHIP might help with some of your costs as well.

Aculard posted:

poo poo sucks a lot right now. I'm running into financial difficulty and my husband is basically taking the stance that if I can't make rent and the extra money to cover bills (at least 800$ this month) then I'm getting kicked out. Oh, and I can't write under his name anymore because he might not get an extra 2k in student loans for september from the government :downs: It's just argh. I don't even know what to say other than I wish he'd understand that "just try harder" doesn't apply. I just want a doctor to help me fill out the disability paperwork and help me with my medication. Even if I started to get disability I would be sooo tempted to leave him because it's just so frustrating to be with him. Everytime I don't make money or I feel sick/depressed/sleep for 20 hours he gets all lovely and gives me the silent treatment.

I know this is late, but drat. :stare: Your husband could really stand to be less crap about this. Because uh, "I have chosen not to believe in your condition, hold you personally responsible for any difficulties it causes you (and therefore us), and am willing to kick you to the curb if you fail to live up to my totally baseless expectations" is an fairly poo poo attitude for a spouse to take.

Now, it's reasonable to expect one's spouse to contribute - my wife used to give me poo poo all the time, because I was making no money and neither of us really understood that ADD was actually involved so we both thought I was just a lazy prick (also, I was a bit of a lazy prick, but at least that wasn't the whole problem). She was also pretty justified in that I was refusing to take medication, which was shockingly stupid of me. Still, even if she pushes me, she does it because she believes in me, not because she feels like I owe her something.

Maybe try having your husband educate himself? Could it help to get him to read Delivered From Distraction or something similar? I feel really bad for you because I'd be a useless wreck by now if my wife hadn't been so wonderful to me, and I can't imagine what it must be like to have to deal with a spouse that seems to sincerely believe it's all your fault.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Trip report! Yesterday was the first day of school. My math teacher is heinous and assigned "review" homework. Last night I started on some and it was pretty okay. I wasn't as batty as I normally am. However, this morning I'm trying to do some and its a lot harder. Not harder as in I don't know the math, but I don't feel as focused. I just want to rush through the problems like I did last semester. I'm trying to hold out on taking my meds till later since I'm in class until 4PM, but :supaburn:

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Angry Diplomat posted:

Whereabouts in Ontario are you? At least you can claim most medication against your taxes, and OHIP might help with some of your costs as well.

I know this is late, but drat. :stare: Your husband could really stand to be less crap about this.

I'm in between Niagra Falls and Toronto. Sorry, not really comfortable saying HEY GUYZ I LIVE RIGHT HERE! My husband brought up that point so we're going to keep all the receipts as well as abuse Trillium as much as we possibly can. We have to pay at least 80$ a quarter and then everything afterwards is just 2$ a prescription so it's keeping the 150-200$ a month (now) adderall xr prescription costs down.

I think he just really, really doesn't understand no matter how much I try to tell him or show him. It's also that the last 3 years he's supported me by paying rent, helping me through episodes of depression and all that jazz and he must be getting sick of it. I don't believe that he's pushing or punishing me because I can't get this poo poo under control, I think he's just really really afraid of being poor. He grew up in a house where he got a lot of stuff but they were so poor that his mother is on welfare and disabled now, as well as his ideas about adulthood are messed up. I'm turning 22 and he'll be turning 23 this year (I think) and he believes he should have already graduated a college program, bought a house and have everything paid off like the car and student loans. It's ridiculous but understandable knowing what he grew up with. My parents worked their way to craziness and now have a super rich house and poo poo but we're estranged versus his poor parents. Funny how that works.

I have a copy of delivered from distraction (and I think I will finish the last chapter right now instead of doing my art commissions and article writing for rent money sigh sigh sigh).

The doctor I saw yesterday is going to Asia for 12 days to work in prisons as a volunteer. Surprised the crap out of me as he's got to be pushing his late 60's but he's still doing these sorts of things. On top of that, he will fill out my application for disability but needs more information. Once I get my military medical records and my old assessment for depression from 2-3 years ago he will actually get an empty doctors office at his old practice for an afternoon and fill it all out with me. I'm in shock. He also gave me a script for dexdrine (adderall I think) for 60pills and told me to try this and hopefully we won't have to fill out the disability forms. The man is a mother loving saint and I have no idea how to thank him.

He also remembered me despite not seeing me for 1 year, as well as the thank you note I had the people at the health center pass along to him. :allears: Mother loving saint.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Aculard posted:

I think he just really, really doesn't understand no matter how much I try to tell him or show him. It's also that the last 3 years he's supported me by paying rent, helping me through episodes of depression and all that jazz and he must be getting sick of it.

You really should have him read Delivered from Distraction. There are alot of chapters in there for spouses of people with ADHD, and it helped my Dad to understand my ADHD mother better.

Also, I got engaged! I'm super psyched, of course, but man. Wedding planning is going to be a massive pain in my rear end, and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to plan out something as detailed and important as this. Any suggestions on how to keep it organized?

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Effexxor posted:

Also, I got engaged! I'm super psyched, of course, but man. Wedding planning is going to be a massive pain in my rear end, and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to plan out something as detailed and important as this. Any suggestions on how to keep it organized?

We just declared common law to avoid all of that haha.

I usually keep a notepad/spiral notebook near my desk and write all the important things I should be doing in it for the day/future. A lot of the wedding details can be bypassed too if you hire someone to help you (wedding planner I think?).

For me, if I had a wedding, I would probably just do things like hand out disposable cameras to the guests and have them take pictures, a small wedding reception pot luck or something, etc. The more I can put off onto the guests the less stressed I'd be.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Effexxor posted:

Congratulations!

One of the best weddings I went to had the bride and groom distribute colored pencils at each table, and little Xeroxed coloring books personalized by the Bride and Groom (e.g. "Color in Lars' favorite beer!"). It was great fun, especially after the open bar alcohol started to take effect.

evil imp
Dec 29, 2008
I started this and the reread it and realized it was far too long for the target audience so untreated people read every other paragraph!

Since this thread has given me hope when I was miserable and being murderized by life I wanted to give back. After a long painful four months of working towards getting diagnosed and seeking help I finally got prescribed adderal XR today.

Getting treatment was :effort:!

It's like someone gave me a sense I didn't know I was missing. Obviously this is the honeymoon and it could all go to hell but right now I am listening to the incredible quiet in my head that I had no idea was possible. It's like I've been standing in a crowd of screaming people my entire life and suddenly they are just gone. I don't feel any less me, my personality such as it is is completely intact but I can focus on anything I choose without having to fight for it every. single. second.

It will blow your loving mind, man!

I have done things today, mundane boring rear end things and it was no big deal. These are things I wouldn't have done yesterday unless someone was in a murderous rage over them. Today I just saw they needed to be done, started and finished them without starting and stopping every 30 seconds. I flowed from one task to the next logical one despite not having planned it like that and it was easy. It's like the constant impatience with anything not SUPER INTERESTING got shut off. New thoughts cropped up and went fairly easily on the back burner while I stayed on task.

You will stop sucking at poo poo everyone else finds easy and treats you like a leper at a swingers party over!

If you told me I had to eat cat crap fresh from the box every morning for this I would, 10mg of stimulant is a god drat bargain.

You will not have to eat cat crap but would be willing to and you can also read this entire post with your new found focus!

gently caress me, I'm trying to encourage people who haven't gotten help yet and it's all :words: oh bitter irony..

Inspiration and cunning edit, mission accomplished!

Thank you to those who shared before me, hopefully this post will help give someone else that little push they need to keep fighting till they find what they need to beat this crap and function normally.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

evil imp posted:

Since this thread has given me hope when I was miserable and being murderized by life I wanted to give back. After a long painful four months of working towards getting diagnosed and seeking help I finally got prescribed adderal XR today.[/b]

:hfive: sup new meds buddy? Everything is going to trip you out for at least a week. I'm a bit more than a week in and still tripping out.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

evil imp posted:

After a long painful four months of working towards getting diagnosed and seeking help I finally got prescribed adderal XR today.

Thank you to those who shared before me, hopefully this post will help give someone else that little push they need to keep fighting till they find what they need to beat this crap and function normally.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Grats Adderall XR buddy. It's pretty amazing stuff when it works doesn't it? I find I get pretty tolerant (or lazy) on it so it's a good idea to take a day or two off. 10mg is a pretty good starting dose and hopefully you won't have to go over it. My doc said in all his 44 years he's had the best results with ritalin/concerta type stuff so look into that if you feel like you're getting too "used" to it.

I managed to do 2 commissions today for money (drawing stuff is awesome!) and the adderall honestly helped me sit here in what felt like super hyperfocus and work on this poo poo. Spent 4 hours on the one picture and the guy is willing to pay me some more in the future for another one. Whoo! Just another 700$ to go for the month :/

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Aculard posted:

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Grats Adderall XR buddy. It's pretty amazing stuff when it works doesn't it? I find I get pretty tolerant (or lazy) on it so it's a good idea to take a day or two off.

I end up taking the weekends off as a 'break'. Feels good to have a couple days a week where I have my full appetite, and I can really enjoy food.

And talk about being able to focus on boring tasks...I had to install SQL on one of my test computers today. 4 times. Because the instructions I was proofreading for accuracy and content didn't have the exact settings in it, and I kept on messing it up. But instead of getting frustrated, I just uninstalled and started it again, making copious notes along the way. It was even a short day; I headed out early due to a snowstorm hitting the area and me commuting by bus.

(What also helps keep me on focus? Listening to the local police scanner. I don't know why, but it's like this awesome soap opera of fun and excitement, whereas music either leaves me really REALLY distracted if I don't like it, or bores me.)

loving :catdrugs:, how do they work?

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 12, 2011

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

loving :catdrugs:, how do they work?

Sometimes :catdrugs: are pretty scary. In addition to not working right for me, Adderall also caused my heart to alternate between racing and palpitations, among other side effects. My doctor and I agreed that this was unacceptable and he's moving me over to Concerta.

I'm not to take any meds until next week, to let my body wind down and return to normal working order. That means the rest of this week is going to be awfully stressful :(

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sometimes :catdrugs: are pretty scary. In addition to not working right for me, Adderall also caused my heart to alternate between racing and palpitations, among other side effects. My doctor and I agreed that this was unacceptable and he's moving me over to Concerta.

I'm not to take any meds until next week, to let my body wind down and return to normal working order. That means the rest of this week is going to be awfully stressful :(

Did you happen to eat eggs or very eggy things that day? Every time I eat a lot of eggstuffs with my Focalin things seem to get weird with severe side effects. It's happened 3-4 times before I stopped eating eggs and nothing like that sense.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hmm. I typically eat eggs every weekend, but I was having a lot of weird poo poo happen to me during the week, and I generally don't eat eggs on weekdays (since I don't have time to fry them up for breakfast before I head off to work).

Might be something to watch for, though.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Man why the gently caress did nobody tell me about dexedrine/straight up adderall being so loving AWESOME?!

These :catdrugs: are seriously 100x better than the XR and I'm able to EAT while taking them. Sure i've only taken one 10mg this afternoon but hooooooly poo poo. No side effects either. I haven't started clenching my jaw at all. I bet it's also because of the slightly lower dose but hrnghhgg....

I hope to god these work long term for the price I'm paying!

:catdrugs:!!!!!!!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Has anyone here been on Wellbutrin? I'm breastfeeding right now, so I can't take any of the other meds, but my therapist said that Wellbutrin is sometimes used for ADHD. Did you find that it was helpful? I'm on Zoloft for anxiety right now, but I'm not very happy with the side effects and would be comfortable with switching.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Moms Stuffing posted:

Has anyone here been on Wellbutrin? I'm breastfeeding right now, so I can't take any of the other meds, but my therapist said that Wellbutrin is sometimes used for ADHD. Did you find that it was helpful? I'm on Zoloft for anxiety right now, but I'm not very happy with the side effects and would be comfortable with switching.

I haven't been on wellbutrin, I was on effexor for a little while and that seemed to help quite a bit. I went off it because I wanted to get the adhd meds sorted out first then start supplementing. The effexor was meant to treat mostly the anxiety I was having so that might be an option.
Grats on the baby too!

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Kylra posted:

Did you happen to eat eggs or very eggy things that day? Every time I eat a lot of eggstuffs with my Focalin things seem to get weird with severe side effects. It's happened 3-4 times before I stopped eating eggs and nothing like that sense.

Eggs are a freaking godsend for Adderall, for the sole reason that they're cheap easy protein that fills you up and doesn't make you have hunger cramps an hour after you take your meds. Amphetamines require a lot of energy, and protein is a godsend.

Also, I had heart palpatations on Adderall too, I wore something that tracked my pulse rate and my pulse never dipped below 100 beats per minute. However, once I got less stressed and stopped drinking caffiene, it went away. Of course, I'm only on 20mg, 10 mg twice a day, but I felt that it was worth a high pulse rate to be able to think.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Moms Stuffing posted:

I've been on Wellbutrin (alone) for the last 8-10 months and it did nothing for my ADHD. A couple pages back, I asked that same question, and it was basically said that Wellbutrin is a good supplement to stimulant medication. Adderall changed my life. I have a regular sleep schedule now. Even as an infant, I was on a cyclical sleep schedule with intermittent 36-72 hour insomnia attacks. Now, I get up at 5:30AM and go to bed at 9:30PM 6 out of 7 nights.

\/ Qu said it better. WellB is a better anti-d than ADHD drug. They compliment each other.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 13, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I've been on Wellbutrin. I experienced a slight improvement in my ADHD, but much more improvement in the way of depression. I had to 'supplement' the drug with coffee and tea, and I could tell that it was really not under control.

However, as an antidepressant, it was the best one that I tried (for me).

evil imp
Dec 29, 2008
Some questions for those of you with experience with adderal xr.

Is it feasible to extend the duration in some fashion? I'm thrilled with the ability to focus and feeling that slipping away after 8-9 hours kinda bites. I can deal if that's just the way it goes but being "on" for another four hours or so would be pretty handy also.

The other was regarding taking weekends off. I assume the idea with that is to minimize the chance of tolerance building up and negate the side-effects for a bit? I'm not currently seeing any side effects and I am kind of dreading the idea of not being this effective again so if anyone has experience with steady treatment vs weekends off I'd love to hear your experience.

I have found using the dregs of the days dose to make a list of tasks for the next day to be quite helpful. If anyone has any tips along those lines i'd love to hear them.

The other question was regarding how getting medicated changed your relationships with people. I am finding it vastly easier to interact and be present in conversations. I feel more emotionally active for lack of a better word and able to empathise and connect with others which was not really something I expected. It's so nice not having the people around you have to be screaming angry or on fire to keep your attention.

evil imp fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 13, 2011

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I had a talk with the wife about maybe talking to a professional and getting diagnosed. Maybe even going on medication if I do have ADHD. Maybe this sounds dumb, but I'm kinda scared of the doc hearing me and then deciding: No, you don't have ADHD. You just didn't amount to much in life because you're slow and lazy.

The problem is, I just have no idea where to start. :( I don't know what kind of professional I need to see, how to find one, etc. At least I'm employed and have health insurance, so that part is hopefully handled.

How did you all seek out your help? Is it really as simple as googling '[City here] ADHD help' or something?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

evil imp posted:

It's like I've been standing in a crowd of screaming people my entire life and suddenly they are just gone.

I've had this feeling my entire life. The only times it seems to shut up and I can feel really drat good about myself and my mind are during, and briefly following long stretches of attention on some project. Like going into a programming project at 1 AM and working on it till 5 AM. Rarely am I able to work up the determination or focus to do that, but when I do I feel great. Reading your post made me think about it some more, and it's like every day is a constant struggle to quiet my mind by finding things I'm interested in.

At work I have to be studying something new or figuring something out, if I'm doing something menial I'll either put it off till it absolutely needs doing, or feel really loving stressed out and do it anyways along with a billion little breaks in-between.

Daily life is just a straight line from things I'm either intensely interested in, or things I have to do like work. It's really loving draining in a subtle way.

I've been coping really well lately (the last year). I've gotten really good about having pen/paper on me, and I am getting good at also knowing when I can't trust myself, so I'll write things down or draw things in a way that the future-me can't gently caress up.

edit:
That 211.org url is interesting, it looks like there is a place nearby. I'll call them sometime tomorrow maybe and see what my options are.

edit 2:
I explicitly remember telling an ex girlfriend about how much I hate my mind, describing it verbatim as 'loud, blurry, messy'.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 14, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Dolemite posted:

I had a talk with the wife about maybe talking to a professional and getting diagnosed. Maybe even going on medication if I do have ADHD. Maybe this sounds dumb, but I'm kinda scared of the doc hearing me and then deciding: No, you don't have ADHD. You just didn't amount to much in life because you're slow and lazy.

The problem is, I just have no idea where to start. :( I don't know what kind of professional I need to see, how to find one, etc. At least I'm employed and have health insurance, so that part is hopefully handled.

How did you all seek out your help? Is it really as simple as googling '[City here] ADHD help' or something?

IF YOU HAVE A GP: Talk to them. Ask for a referral to a Psychiatrist who treats Adult ADHD. Also hope that your GP isn't a dick about the entire thing. GPs tend to be great gatekeepers to your health, and sometimes insurance companies need referrals in order to 'approve' the specialist. (That's something else to look out for; you can get caught with the bill if you don't go to a specialist the 'right way' on some plans.).

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GP: Find a GP. They're good to have, if anything just for the yearly physical. (Which are good to take; my depression has been caused by a Vitamin D deficiency, and now that's all cleared up. That was found during a physical). Then, when you meet with the GP, talk to them about the ADHD issues.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

(That's something else to look out for; you can get caught with the bill if you don't go to a specialist the 'right way' on some plans.).

This is an interesting tidbit and I'm glad you mentioned that! I don't have a general doctor right now as I just moved to this area. Sounds like I need to do that first.

Luckily the wife knows people that may have a line on good general practitioners.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Qu Appelle posted:

(That's something else to look out for; you can get caught with the bill if you don't go to a specialist the 'right way' on some plans.).

This is one of the issues I had. My psych medicine would ONLY be covered if I was referred to my psychiatrist from my GP. Without that referral, I had to pay out of pocket.

evil imp
Dec 29, 2008

Dolemite posted:

Most likely your GP has to refer you to a specialist to get a diagnosis and then you can start trying meds.

As for your fear I had the exact same thing it was horrible waiting and actually wanting bad news as it where just because the alternative is just "You are a bad person and will always fail". You're just going to have to suck that one up and know that chances are if nothing was wrong you wouldn't have the problems you do.

Cheer up, once you get diagnosed and start treatment you can do the "Oh god don't let the meds stop working, i never want to live as a mental cripple again" fear ride! :tinfoil: It's uplifting or something, and at least you will be terrified and getting things done!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
My therapist said I'm "like a completely different person."

Yeah, that happens when you stop ignoring a huge, life impairing condition for 2 years and treat it.

Aculard posted:

Urgh this loving poo poo right here. I just bought some more weights and an actual bar to work out at home and I'm eating so little I'm nearly passing out from doing a few 70-80lb dead lifts. Benchpressing? No problem, put that loving weight on there until my arms collapse (not long at 60-70lbs). Try to do anything else? I hope you like shaking around and feeling dizzy for an hour! This is why it's so frustrating being on the extended release. By the time it starts wearing off I'm asleep and ate maybe a banana and 6 dumplings for the whole day.

I never even saw this post, but I've been having to force feed myself. My appetite is sitting somewhere low, 700-800 calories/day so I supplement with protein shakes and calorie-dense food like almonds or a bit of peanut butter. I'm only hitting ~1500/day right now which isn't enough either, but its better than 800.

evil imp posted:

Cheer up, once you get diagnosed and start treatment you can do the "Oh god don't let the meds stop working, i never want to live as a mental cripple again" fear ride! :tinfoil: It's uplifting or something, and at least you will be terrified and getting things done!

I really, really hate this especially since its fairly common. They just up and stop working one day.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 17, 2011

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

evil imp posted:

Most likely your GP has to refer you to a specialist to get a diagnosis and then you can start trying meds.

As for your fear I had the exact same thing it was horrible waiting and actually wanting bad news as it where just because the alternative is just "You are a bad person and will always fail". You're just going to have to suck that one up and know that chances are if nothing was wrong you wouldn't have the problems you do.

Cool, I'll get the ball rolling by finding a GP and going from there. Not sure how to bring up the issue without sounding like I just want to score some :catdrugs:.

Hopefully the dude doesn't care and just figures that it's up to the specialist to talk with me and make that decision.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
So, I think I'm freaking out my therapist.

:v: So anything interesting happen this week?
:what: Not really, I went to work, school, the gym, the usual
:v: Oh? Hows school?
:what: good, classes are fine. I didn't do well on one test, but that was test anxiety. I can sit down and study now, so I'm not worried about this semester or getting overwhelmed.
:v: Oh.. so that.. what are you taking.. adderall? Thats helping then?
:what: Yeah.
:v: Well, any problems at work?
:what: We're busy, but no problems
:v: Oh.. alright so hows your mood, have you been upset lately?
:what: Not really, I just go to school, work, go to the gym and do homework.
:v: Have you eaten out lately? I know you love to go out to eat.
:what: Not really, trying to save some money now. Just in case something happens and I need some cash on hand.
:v: ...... oh... well....

The whole 20 minute (supposed to be 60) session could be summed up with "oh.." She honestly seemed a little bothered.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, it's amazing what you can do once the mind just settles down.

Now, my own little drama. Started new job, and everything's awesome so far. Signed up for the health insurance, and gave them my old HI info, to show that there's no break in coverage. The HR person said that I gave enough info, and to 'not worry about it'.

Welp, that wasn't good enough for the new insurance company...and they sent me a pre-existing determination letter. Normally, there's a 3 month waiting period, but due to their calculations, I only have to wait two months to get my pre-existing issues covered! How generous they are! I can get my :catdrugs: on April 1st! :dance:

:wtc:

They apparently thought I've only been insured for 6 months, when I really have been insured continuously for nearly 4 years. So, I had to call my old company, explain the issue to them, and they are cranking out a 'Certificate of Coverage' letter that I can then mail to the new insurance company. Which will then make a re-determination. In the meantime, I've reverted to taking my not-so-effective Adderall and saving my Dex for 'busy days', because I don't know when they're going to cover my Dex again.

Oh, and that HR rep, who assured me that everything was going to be fine? Her last day was my first, in the beginning of January. And the sub that came in to replace her? Also gone. So now we have a THIRD HR person, who is brand new, and I don't know if they can help me with this.

:psyduck: :hf: :wtc:

But remember - the USA is the Best Country In the World! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Qu Appelle posted:

But remember - the USA is the Best Country In the World! :911:

I've never had a job give me health insurance. If I can't afford to pay for my pills, I just get to stop taking them. Gotta love them lithium withdrawls when you've been taking 2100/day for 3 months. :v: I work for the government and I don't get health insurance, "maybe in a couple years." :toot: