Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bust Rodd posted:

wait the U.K. hasn’t closed bars and restaurants or banned large gatherings yet?

our largest pub chain is owned by a big tory donor and brexitlord
hes just announced that theyr staying open because people can't be infected in pubs and the government declined to respond to that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the government has advised people not to go to bars and restaurants, and has advised people not to hold large gatherings

all the places closing and events shutting are private responses. which sucks for insurance!

Insurance companies have confirmed that they don't consider government-mandated closure a valid reason to claim insurance, though.

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1239865584973684737?s=21

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Insurance companies have confirmed that they don't consider government-mandated closure a valid reason to claim insurance, though.

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1239865584973684737?s=21

yeah lol i liked their "you're not getting it either way" response
just transparently a racket like every UK institution if you rub the dust off the surface

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Herd immunity only even works if it's a disease you can't get twice, which apparently this one is not

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Captain Splendid posted:

Herd immunity only even works if it's a disease you can't get twice, which apparently this one is not

this is still unknown

i'm no epidemiologist but i *am* a geneticist and i've been trying to follow the science as it's published. the way viruses adapt past learned immune responses is by mutating certain pattern-associated molecules, typically membrane proteins or the like. for that to happen this quickly, either it's much (like, genuinely an awful lot) more prevalent than believed or it mutates much more quickly in the wild than in lab conditions

at the moment it seems most likely to me that the test is producing false positives, and that this is what caused the cases of apparent double infections

anyway, the herd immunity strategy would've cost literally hundreds of thousands of lives and possibly a full-on societal collapse by the government's own revised figures. even in the best case it was always insanely risky

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

still sort of waiting for the first actual government response, tbh

saying "huh maybe think about not gathering so much" doesn't count.

the government has advised people not to go to bars and restaurants, and has advised people not to hold large gatherings

all the places closing and events shutting are private responses. which sucks for insurance!

no you see yesterday it was upgraded to, quote, strong advice!

Also the schools are shut at least, finally.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
well you see the great British public are mature and reasonable adults who can be trusted to make responsible decisions for themselves, their families and their fellow citizens based on the sound, evidence-based and strongly-worded advice of their government, and they definitely won't e.g. carry on going down to spoons for 3-5 pints every lunchtime until they're closed down by the police/so choked with the dead and dying that you can't get to the bar anymore

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gonadic io posted:

no you see yesterday it was upgraded to, quote, strong advice!

Also the schools are shut at least, finally.

To everyone who isn't a 'key worker'.

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1240943876803870722?s=21

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

V. Illych L. posted:

anyway, the herd immunity strategy would've cost literally hundreds of thousands of lives and possibly a full-on societal collapse by the government's own revised figures. even in the best case it was always insanely risky

It still will

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

It still will

yeah whats "funny" is that the revised study theyr supposedly basing things off, they assume 550,000 deaths unless you do xyz and the government has basically suggested x and not done yz

no journalists have noticed cause they're all functionally illiterate

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have to assume journalism courses revolve around biting down on any questions you may have about the material

the final exam is an endurance test where you spend three hours trying not to form an opinion

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

i have to assume journalism courses revolve around biting down on any questions you may have about the material

the final exam is an endurance test where you spend three hours trying not to form an opinion

it's more that being a journo is all about connections and being able to work for nothing while getting your feet on the ground

there has been no money in proper journalism for a while so the modern UK press are either high paid flunkies with government/high-level connections or overworked peons who only have time to copy-paste press releases verbatim

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

there is also a fundamental british doctrine that things that are in the public interest are not in the public interest
theres a legit law that basically anything horrible or embarassing the british government does must be memory-holed for 20 years before it can be discussed

it makes sense, we're a monarchy and why should the peasants know things if it'll just get them upset? its not like they can do anything about it anyway

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

The final exam is you having to take care of an egg while pretending it's the illegitimate son Boris had with your wife.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
They're just courtiers OP

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

XMNN posted:

well you see the great British public are mature and reasonable adults who can be trusted to make responsible decisions for themselves, their families and their fellow citizens based on the sound, evidence-based and strongly-worded advice of their government, and they definitely won't e.g. carry on going down to spoons for 3-5 pints every lunchtime until they're closed down by the police/so choked with the dead and dying that you can't get to the bar anymore

Yeah I thought it was really funny when Tim Martin was moaning about his sales declining a whole 12%.

Even accounting for people drinking more than normal that's abysmal effectiveness.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bust Rodd posted:

approximately how old were some of you when you started to really comprehend the magnitude of what Britain used to be?

It was around the time that there were reports of how Mau Mau rebels were treated in the camps during the 50s, namely being raped with glass bottles filled with boiling water. This was around '08? That was what turned it from a 'yeah, I guess I knew that' to, 'Brittania delanda est'.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

So Britain has finally taken the steps every other affected country did a while ago, with 33 deaths in a day, Boris having his big Chuchillo-Merkelian Wir Schaffen Das moment.

And media's eating it up, because of course.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Private Speech posted:

So Britain has finally taken the steps every other affected country did a while ago, with 33 deaths in a day, Boris having his big Chuchillo-Merkelian Wir Schaffen Das moment.

And media's eating it up, because of course.

eh it seems like Rishi Sunak is the one people are creaming themselves over because he's so ***reasonable***

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this is honestly far more than i expected

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

this is honestly far more than i expected

It's great, the magic money tree has been planted in the Treasury and we get to harvest the fruit every single loving time there's a problem.

If we sort this out then there's no reason we can't do the Green Industrial Revolution, it'll be the perfect time for it as well because there's going to be a need for government directed action to get everything going again.

My God, this is what it must be like to be a rightwinger forcing a leftwing government into making cuts. It's beautiful.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The rebirth of (actual) One Nation Toryism could be a huge problem for Labour down the line, but honestly right now I'm just glad they're doing something.

Has anyone dug into the details of this yet, seen how it applies to zero hour contracts, the self-employed and the 'self-employed'?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

MikeCrotch posted:

eh it seems like Rishi Sunak is the one people are creaming themselves over because he's so ***reasonable***

maybe on social media, but BBC is all in on the "PM HATH DECLARED" wagon

e: see this article

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Mar 20, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

multijoe posted:

The rebirth of (actual) One Nation Toryism could be a huge problem for Labour down the line, but honestly right now I'm just glad they're doing something.

Has anyone dug into the details of this yet, seen how it applies to zero hour contracts, the self-employed and the 'self-employed'?

the self employed get, uh, statutory sick pay

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

have they restarted wider testing yet?

or would that be a step too far

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Private Speech posted:

have they restarted wider testing yet?

or would that be a step too far

We're basically past the point where it's useful except for making the mortality rate less scary or allowing healthworkers to continue practicing, we just need everyone to contain themselves and therefore it from spreading and hope society doesn't break.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Private Speech posted:

maybe on social media, but BBC is all in on the "PM HATH DECLARED" wagon

e: see this article

lol "virus fight"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Communist Thoughts posted:

lol "virus fight"

well it turns out virus appeasement doesn't work, so, reluctantly, Albion sets its sight towards war once more

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

namesake posted:

We're basically past the point where it's useful except for making the mortality rate less scary or allowing healthworkers to continue practicing, we just need everyone to contain themselves and therefore it from spreading and hope society doesn't break.

arent the WHO asking everyone to keep going? surely you can locally increase contaiment measures for short periods where a low-rate infected area has a quick increase. For example, Cornwall council made a statement asking the emmets to gently caress off up country before they pollute their pleasant wilderness. If you said nothing but supplies will cross the Tamar there's a chance they'd take it year round anyway, and if you can cycle hard/soft containment then you can potentially clear individual regions as well as remind people it could be worse, both of which are important for morale.

It's unwise to dismiss the value of "less scary" during a pandemic that already saw people fleeing into villages in Italy pre-empting the lockdown, too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

this is 100% wrong

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
gcses and a levels canceled in the UK innit

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

When will they designate NI as a quarantine zone and force a hard land border?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

When will they designate NI as a quarantine zone and force a hard land border?

They won't. I'd be surprised that anyone is even thinking about us during this pandemic - same as we were an inconvenience during brexit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this isn't a pandemic as far as the british stance on the irish goes...

it's an opportunity

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

this isn't a pandemic as far as the british stance on the irish goes...

it's an opportunity

Strong chance the Republic is going to come out of this significantly better than we do.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Darth Walrus posted:

Strong chance the Republic is going to come out of this significantly better than we do.

Post that number of Irish counties meme

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Dominic Cummings is probably going to get a parade and a knighthood when this is all over.

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1241643814739206145

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Dominic Cummings is probably going to get a parade and a knighthood when this is all over.

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1241643814739206145

lmao all those dumbass other countries with their "vaccines" and "quarantines" just do herd immunity ya dummies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the same journalists who were criticising everyone on twitter who said the plan was stupid as poo poo and going to get people killed are now acting shocked that was the plan. they're just hoping they can throw him under the bus when it gets really bad despite the government doing what he said with no complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

the same journalists who were criticising everyone on twitter who said the plan was stupid as poo poo and going to get people killed are now acting shocked that was the plan. they're just hoping they can throw him under the bus when it gets really bad despite the government doing what he said with no complaints

Worked in 1915 when they needed someone to blame for Gallipoli.
(Churchill was to blame but he hardly was the only one who should have been ruined).