Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

My WR250R has been sitting up on a stand for a few weeks while I've been working on it and after a test ride today I found a thin ring of oil on one of the forks at the lowest point of compression. There seemed to be some very faint residue on the stanchion above the ring. The other fork was dry. Should I be worried? I remember having some weeping on another bike that was sitting, but it didn't get any better when I started riding it again. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ghostpilots posted:

I pulled my clutch cover case the other day to replace a leaky gasket and now my clutch seems to have stopped working. It'll pull in with the lever (zero resistance) but does not spring back into place when released and has to be manually moved. What did I gently caress up?

On a cable clutch, it sounds like the actuator rod isn't engaging the clutch. But yeah, we need Z3n needs to know what bike...

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MotoMind posted:

My WR250R has been sitting up on a stand for a few weeks while I've been working on it and after a test ride today I found a thin ring of oil on one of the forks at the lowest point of compression. There seemed to be some very faint residue on the stanchion above the ring. The other fork was dry. Should I be worried? I remember having some weeping on another bike that was sitting, but it didn't get any better when I started riding it again. :ohdear:

It could very well be a failing fork seal. However, it could also just be some dirt that is allowing oil through. Try swiping something flexible and thin between the seal and the fork to see if you can clear away any crap.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Z3n posted:

What bike?

Whoops, sorry! 1990 Suzuki DR350S

For shits and giggles.

Ghostpilots fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 2, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ghostpilots posted:

Whoops, sorry! 1990 Suzuki DR350S

For shits and giggles.

http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr350-1990-sl_model13190/partslist/FIG-14.html

If the actuator shaft (looks like #14 above) is attached to the cover or you moved it, it probably isn't engaging the clutch. Commonly happens if it's designed this way - you have to be careful putting the cover back on.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hey guys, I never post in here but I have a quick question. I can get my hands on a beat to poo poo 1974 AMF Harley 250. It's a basket case and I know next to nothing about bikes but you gotta start somewhere I suppose, and what better way to make me hate myself than buying a bike that needs everything? I already know what I'm getting myself into, yes I'm that dumb.

What I need to know is, is this a bike that's popular, or desirable? Basically, can I get parts if I need to? I'm going to reuse what I can, but ideally I'd like to restore it to the best quality I can, so I'll buy new parts if possible. The tins need work (I'm a body/paint guy), the motor is seized (oh god I hope it's not bad), dunno about the transmission (does it have one lol).

Oh by the way it has no title and I don't have a license yet, so there's that.

Long story short, is a 74 250 Harley made of unobtanium?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Short answer, yes.

They were not good bikes even when they were new. They didnt sell well, so there arent a ton around. The engines are known for making OK to good power when they're running right, but they rarely run right.

Also see here: http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10513.0

If you dont know much about bikes, the AMF 250 will make you hate them

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VikingSkull posted:

Hey guys, I never post in here but I have a quick question. I can get my hands on a beat to poo poo 1974 AMF Harley 250. It's a basket case and I know next to nothing about bikes but you gotta start somewhere I suppose, and what better way to make me hate myself than buying a bike that needs everything? I already know what I'm getting myself into, yes I'm that dumb.

What I need to know is, is this a bike that's popular, or desirable? Basically, can I get parts if I need to? I'm going to reuse what I can, but ideally I'd like to restore it to the best quality I can, so I'll buy new parts if possible. The tins need work (I'm a body/paint guy), the motor is seized (oh god I hope it's not bad), dunno about the transmission (does it have one lol).

Oh by the way it has no title and I don't have a license yet, so there's that.

Long story short, is a 74 250 Harley made of unobtanium?

You couldn't pay me to take a 74 250 Harley basket case with a seized engine. Parts are going to be difficult to impossible to find, tuning is going to be difficult to impossible, no one's going to have good rebuild resources on them, it's going to be a complete pain in the rear end. The AMF Harley years were basically the worst, as far as reliability and everything else went, modern Harleys are quite good but definitely pass on this one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I can get my hands on a beat to poo poo 1974 AMF Harley 250.

This is you right now:

The central nervous system should take care of the rest.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
aw c'mon it's free how bad can it be

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VikingSkull posted:

Well, I guess the advantage is that the rings were cast, so you could technically make them in your backyard with some help from the metalworking thread. :v:

But uh, do you want to ride a motorcycle or work on something that has 2 wheels? Because you're only going to really get the second out of a AMF 250.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

It's a basket case Trabant. But in a universe where no-one has heard of Trabants and there aren't any parts cars, even in the former eastern block.

Oh, except it's not a Trabant, it's a Trabant badged product from the manufacturers of the Lightburn Zeta.

Do you see what we're trying to say?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Obviously this means I should get it and post the project thread for everyone's amusement!

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up. That's why I came here before I did anything.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it's free you should take it of course. See what happens. Convert it to electric or put a DRZ motor in it, paint it up all rad and get featured on all the blogs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

If it's free you should take it of course. See what happens. Convert it to electric or put a DRZ motor in it, paint it up all rad and get featured on all the blogs.

I revise my opinion, do this.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Ola posted:

If it's free you should take it of course.

This always applies.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

If it's free you should take it of course.

Do this and go hog wild :haw:

Swap in whichever engine you can get your hands on, update the brakes etc. and ride it. Fix stuff as it breaks with whatever parts you can get your hands on. Make it uniquely yours.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe get another AMF250 and make a v-twin two stroke 500? Sounds doable for a first project.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

You should get it and also buy a cheap bike on CL that's in rideable condition, so you can amuse us with your horrible failure but still be able to enjoy riding a motorcycle.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I have this bandit 1200. 5k RPM in 5th is 75.6MPH, which is the speed limit around here. Never mind that's 90mph on the dial.

If I do this mythical "-1 +2" will that wreck my mileage? I'm getting about 45-50mpg right now, and that suits me fine.

Note: mileage dropped down to about 43 when I went WOT for a bit to see where that would get me. At 7k rpm, passing 140 indicated, my GPS vibrated and turned itself off, and I hit powerband. The speedo stops at 170 indicated, and I'm only at 10.5k and accelerating.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I wouldn't bother. -1/+2 is only really good on bikes that have a top end biased powerband, and really tall gearing. Bandit 12s pull like monsters from idle, so you're not going to see much real world gain out of it. If you want to try it, just pick up a -1 tooth front sprocket and slap it in and see if you like it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't bother. -1/+2 is only really good on bikes that have a top end biased powerband, and really tall gearing. Bandit 12s pull like monsters from idle, so you're not going to see much real world gain out of it. If you want to try it, just pick up a -1 tooth front sprocket and slap it in and see if you like it.

Counter point: He'd save a ton of money never having to replace the front tire.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ola posted:

Maybe get another AMF250 and make a v-twin two stroke 500? Sounds doable for a first project.

Nah, he doesn't want to get to far ahead of himself. A CR500 motor will do the job for a first project bike.

pr0zac posted:

Counter point: He'd save a ton of money never having to replace the front tire.

It's a 1200 Bandit. That picture is normal operation for a stocker.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

VikingSkull posted:

We had a 350 once at our shop. It was cool to look at and all but it was a bitch to start, the kicker is awkward and stiff, didn't run well, the shifter and rear brake are on the wrong sides of the bike I think, and the shift pattern was upside down. So, pretty bad, if you ask me. But we did end up selling it to a guy in Germany, much to our surprise, so they are in some kind of demand out there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

... the shifter and rear brake are on the wrong sides of the bike I think, and the shift pattern was upside down. So, pretty bad, if you ask me.

That sounds less bad than it does plain dangerous to my novice ears.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My first bike ('68 Triumph T500) had right side shift. Even now 17 odd years later I'll occasionally either stomp the brake or try to get my toe under it to shift. Weird how ingrained habits get.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Habits don't even take long. I "stand up on the pegs" in cars sometimes if I happen to look at the road when there's a pothole or something and the reflex just kicks in.

Kinda funny to other people in the car cause you just kind of thrust upwards a bit from the car sitting position.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

When I drive, I'm starting to find myself accidentally flipping my blinkers the other way after a turn. That and my automatic transmission now gives me a sort of helpless feeling like I'm actually a pack of raccoons driving the car and we each have just one or two tasks we can attend to, but I think the raccoon doing the shifting might be retarded.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

SlightlyMadman posted:

When I drive, I'm starting to find myself accidentally flipping my blinkers the other way after a turn. That and my automatic transmission now gives me a sort of helpless feeling like I'm actually a pack of raccoons driving the car and we each have just one or two tasks we can attend to, but I think the raccoon doing the shifting might be retarded.

I have never owned a car that wasn't a clutch. Ask me about the handful of times I've driven an automatic and I slam my foot down on the floor coming to a stop. (Or hit the big-rear end retarded brake that are in automatics, seriously what's up with those I really don't understand)

For motorcycle-related, ask my wife about riding in a car with me when I see a gap in-between traffic and go, "Lane splitting in a car, no problem, thread the needle :shepface:"

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Those of you that use a trailer to haul your bikes what do you use? The hail storms in last month totaled my rusty beat to poo poo pickup truck so I'm letting insurance take it. Using the money from that to put a tow hitch on the golf and get a trailer.

Would I be better off getting a basic 4'x8' utility trailer or get a 2/3 rail motorcycle trailer? Craigslist is pretty decent around here for trailers so I should have plenty of used ones to choose from.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The railed motorcycle trailers can be a little flimsy if you aren't careful, but if you're gonna be pulling it with a car lighter is probably better. If you can pull with a truck it's nice to have a big rear end trailer that you can toss coolers, parts, gear, etc. in. You have a hatchback though so you're probably set on inside storage space. Rail trailers seem to be cheaper anyways so that's probably a better choice.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Synonamess Botch posted:

For motorcycle-related, ask my wife about riding in a car with me when I see a gap in-between traffic and go, "Lane splitting in a car, no problem, thread the needle :shepface:"

I drive a small hatchback. Some day the temptation will get the better of me.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I've got a 1981 Yamaha Seca 750 and I'm trying to find saddlebags for it, preferably hard. Any suggestions where I should look?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
A basic question about brake performance...

My front brakes won't lock the front tire.. Is this because they are underpowered for the weight of the bike, or are they just in need of repair?

My mechanic was telling me that it's that the bike is too heavy, but I think that's BS.. My Nighthawk wasn't much lighter than this (the bike is 246 kilos), and the front disk on the nighthawk would lock the front wheel and stop the bike pdq.

This weather is really killing me - perfect riding weather, and a bike I can't ride. :/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Backov posted:

My front brakes won't lock the front tire.. Is this because they are underpowered for the weight of the bike, or are they just in need of repair?

Which bike is it?

I'd check the discs and pads and see if they need to be replaced, but not matter which state they're in, bleeding the brakes and getting some fresh brake fluid in there definitely can't hurt.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/ Oh yeah, that bike :haw: If the hardware isn't stock, all bets are off. But I find it hard to believe that the previous owner would put worse brakes on it than stock. I'd bleed the brakes and see what happens.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 3, 2011

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Which bike is it?

It's my frankenbike Dnepr.. Doesn't have the stock front wheel or brakes on it.

quote:

I'd check the discs and pads and see if they need to be replaced, but not matter which state they're in, bleeding the brakes and getting some fresh brake fluid in there definitely can't hurt.

Ok, another thing to do. Thanks. :)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Synonamess Botch posted:

(Or hit the big-rear end retarded brake that are in automatics, seriously what's up with those I really don't understand)

I think they figure if some stupid kid or new driver is going to mash a pedal when they freak out they have a better chance of mashing the big fat brake pedal and stopping, rather than the skinny out of the way gas pedal and plow through a crowd of people.

Motorcycle related, wow every week just keeps getting better! Clutch control has improved immensely and city driving stop-and-go traffic is much more comfortable. The rain has finally cleared and I was able to ride into work a few times. Taking a break to get lunch is now much more than a mundane drive up the hill. I even went up to the local elementary with some chalk and layed out the test course to practice on. The tight u-turn and cornering and braking are great but the cone weave still needs some work. I start to get a little wider on each weave so by the last cone I'm way out of position to make it. Just more practicing needed.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 3, 2011

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I drive a small hatchback. Some day the temptation will get the better of me.

If anyone gets this they are a huge nerd.

The jeep was the only non-moto vehicle in the original GTA that could lane split.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

pr0zac posted:

If anyone gets this they are a huge nerd.

The jeep was the only non-moto vehicle in the original GTA that could lane split.

I am officially a huge nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

KozmoNaut posted:

I am officially a huge nerd.

+1

Content: In my youth I actually thought riding a motorcycle was insane since they were so hard to steer in GTA.