Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The monkey has a 25% chance of coming back to you immediately after death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i got 52% grave return now and its a godsend

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The stat is called Auto-grave Recovery I think.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There are similar stats for Onmyo Magic and Ninjitsu ("Untouched Onmyo Magic" and "Untouched Ninjitsu") which give you a chance of not expending a jutsu charge when using skills.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's one for elixirs too, like the free meal skill in mhw, usually on medicine cases. Though most of my deaths aren't due to running out of healing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think it's unlimited onmyo/Ninjutsu/elixir that gives the % chance to not expend a charge. Untouched is an effectiveness boost at full health.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't have the game on me to check the exact wording, but there's a stat called something like grave return that gives a percentage chance for that to happen

Ah finally found it, it was on my Guardian Spirit itself, Auto-Grave Recovery 25%. You can tell they really put a lot of work into helping people not get roadblocked on bosses. Even if one boss is wrecking your poo poo, just by using your weapons and skills you'll still be getting skill points, as well as having bosses bleed amrita, and automatically giving you your grave back just by entering the boss arena. AND with this skill, every once in a while you'll get to grab all that built up cash for free and level up. NICE.

Phantasium posted:

The monkey has a 25% chance of coming back to you immediately after death.

It was this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm coming up on the end of the first game but I'm brute forcing the hell out of it, mostly just equipping the best sword and spear I have, and the best armor that doesn't put me over 70%, and then using Sloth Talismans and the gently caress-you mega bomb on anything that gives me trouble from there. I'm having a decent time (though everything about that level with the giant skele-yokai can gently caress right off) but I feel like I'm playing it wrong.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In Nioh 1 I basically went through the whole game with dual swords, sloth and, uh, defense down? talismans. It was great and there were some bosses that I absolutely massacred with my Cuisinart-style. Kind of surprised that I haven’t seen more posts about the dual swords, but it’s hard to compete with shiny new toys like tonfas and the scythe.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Your first run through can be like that (it's also like that in 2 in my experience). So much of your power is baked into the rapidly escalating levels of the gear that it doesn't make much sense to spend too much time thinking about anything other than making damage/defense numbers bigger. NG+ and onwards have more going on since they sort of become a cheese arms race as the loot aspect of it takes over and builds really come online

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Arist posted:

I'm having a decent time (though everything about that level with the giant skele-yokai can gently caress right off) but I feel like I'm playing it wrong.

Once you purify the crystals the pools around the stage give you a bunch of buffs, including one that charges up your living weapon. If you have all of them purified you can just stand in front of the boss in gently caress off mode wailing on him while in living weapon mode and basically be immortal.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does this game handle difficulty/NG+ the same way as Nioh 1?

I'm finding it disappointingly easy so far (just finished the second region after starting last night), but I remember Nioh 1 being the same until Way of the Strong. I've had a frustrating number of deaths due to falling off of things while dodging but that's my only true adversary.

If you're stuck somewhere here's how to cheese with switchglaive:

get the skill to turn mid stance dodges into ki pulses and equip a feral spirit. Light attack 4 times then dodge (usually straight toward the enemy because they're either easily stunlocked or have no super-short-range attacks) then light attack 4 times then dodge then...

(Cancel out of this with the feral spirit's Burst Counter which is a 0-Ki-cost long dodge when you may be in danger)

You literally turn into a blender that can stunlock most enemies in the game indefinitely, pretty easily wade into crowds of enemies without fear, and can immediately cancel out of their attack with a long dodge whenever you need Ki or if you're up against the small handful of enemies you can't stunlock

For the very few enemies that this doesn't work well against (like the armless snake women) replace dodging with Ki Burst then block, and back off with Burst Counter when you need Ki

Edit: Also use purification talismans from Onmyo to chump any Yokai and make them easy to stunlock

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 17, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JBP posted:

I think it's unlimited onmyo/Ninjutsu/elixir that gives the % chance to not expend a charge. Untouched is an effectiveness boost at full health.

That's what I thought but if you look at the description of "untouched" it actually is the chance not to consume the item on use.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm really enjoying the game but the yokai grab attacks are completely out of control. If a grab is initiated and you're not already 15 feet away they'll get you every time, and will even pivot 180 degrees in mid grab to nab you if you go past them. It's infuriating to wipe out waira, tengu, yoki, yamanba and some gunners just to have an rear end in a top hat yokai soldier with no health left whip out a grab and immediately instantly kill you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

That's what I thought but if you look at the description of "untouched" it actually is the chance not to consume the item on use.

Cool thanks! I think that different to Nioh 1?

The game keeps dropping tatenashi gear on me and I don't know how much longer my willpower will hold out before I eat a book, ram 30 points into stamina and become invincible.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
god i wish hatchets weren't a meme, they're hilarious

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thumbtacks posted:

They’re not that bad, they just have a very unique playstyle.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm really enjoying the game but the yokai grab attacks are completely out of control. If a grab is initiated and you're not already 15 feet away they'll get you every time, and will even pivot 180 degrees in mid grab to nab you if you go past them. It's infuriating to wipe out waira, tengu, yoki, yamanba and some gunners just to have an rear end in a top hat yokai soldier with no health left whip out a grab and immediately instantly kill you.

Do enemy grapples not have a kind of 'attack window' that you can dodge through and make them miss? It seems that way to me but I'm still dealing with human enemies and those spear monkey yokai, maybe other enemies home in on you more. I do keep eating poo poo on the odachi soldiers because their redshift move is a huge horizontal swing that reaches behind them. I keep forgetting that and dodging behind them for that sweet backstab and oh no how did I die :(

Thumbtacks posted:

Do I even want to know?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pro-tip: You can Soul Match demon weapons with Yokai cores.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phantasium posted:

Once you purify the crystals the pools around the stage give you a bunch of buffs, including one that charges up your living weapon. If you have all of them purified you can just stand in front of the boss in gently caress off mode wailing on him while in living weapon mode and basically be immortal.

what do you think I did

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Thumbtacks posted:

My hatchet run is going fine, does this mean when I do a run with a different weapon all my weighted training gear falls off?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
they're not TERRIBLE they're just fairly mediocre. heavy stance attacks cost too much ki (imo), mid stance attacks don't do a ton of damage. they changed the way throwing works from the beta for some reason, you used to be able to combo a throw out of a 123 combo or a dodge but now there's a pause which is annoying.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it's weird, it's like they seem like they were designed to be a heavier dual katanas except they dont have any hits that apply debuffs quickly (one of the major benefits of dual/tonfa) except maybe crab which isn't great, the throw is fun but not sure how useful it really is (if it could pierce/ignore guards? Could be nice, that might be passive somewhere idk)

i do know they have an ability halfway down the tree that lets you increase your attack and movespeed in exchange for a defense debuff and i haven't gotten it yet but i imagine that could be super useful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm really liking the Dual Hatchets, especially after unlocking Adept Training which really seems to open them up. I'd consider them a cross between dual katanas and kusarigama. Basically most enemies are always within reach for you to quickly punish them with a flying hatchet to the face.

Thumbtacks posted:

it's weird, it's like they seem like they were designed to be a heavier dual katanas except they dont have any hits that apply debuffs quickly (one of the major benefits of dual/tonfa) except maybe crab which isn't great, the throw is fun but not sure how useful it really is (if it could pierce/ignore guards? Could be nice, that might be passive somewhere idk)

i do know they have an ability halfway down the tree that lets you increase your attack and movespeed in exchange for a defense debuff and i haven't gotten it yet but i imagine that could be super useful.

I haven't tested it yet despite having the skill unlocked for a while, but it seems like Dragonfly and Retribution?(something else in the heavy stance) both seem geared to doing a ton of hits and applying debuffs quickly.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welp fire mage character is all picked out...

Anybody messed around with the Mujina soul core yet? The internet is screaming about how rare and precious they are but all you have to do is match the emote, same as the last game :rolleyes: They don't have an attack but give a high percent Copy Enhancement, which claims to give you enemy buffs when you lock on to them. Might come in handy for a magic-heavy level or for some human bosses?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I have a couple of them but I haven't felt the need to use them yet. I'm level 50 in region two because I like to do all the side missions and farm revenants and I haven't had anyone even try to use buffs yet. I guess the Sohaya count but they're always just sitting around begging to be shot in the head.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah so few enemies use buff that it's pretty niche. I guess you could try to find an Omnyo heavy revenant just before a boss and steal its buffs before going in.

EDIT: Apparently Scampuss are really good on bosses.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 17, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Yeah so few enemies use buff that it's pretty niche. I guess you could try to find an Omnyo heavy revenant just before a boss and steal its buffs before going in.

EDIT: Apparently Scampuss are really good on bosses.

Anytime I find a cat anywhere close to a mission end, I'll save it and grab it right before I go in. It rolls around smacking enemies for decent ki damage while giving you Anima regen. One of the first side missions in the first area is basically an arena gauntlet with permanent Scrampuss, probably to illustrate the above.

Obligatory: There's a loving Blighttown??? :gonk:

e:
Well at least I can make Nippon great again by draining the swamp :japan:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 17, 2020

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Alright what am I doing wrong here. I absolutely loved Nioh 1, beat it and all the DLC twice, but I keep getting absolutely curb stomped by even the most basic yokai in Nioh 2, let alone the first boss. Is there something in 2 that I'm missing because I'm playing it like 1? It feels like all of my timings are off, I'm getting hit straight through block, and my yokai powers only sometimes work for reasons I can't tell at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you using Burst counters? Those are pretty essential on most bosses and they help a lot on normal Yokai too.

Takes No Damage posted:

Anytime I find a cat anywhere close to a mission end, I'll save it and grab it right before I go in. It rolls around smacking enemies for decent ki damage while giving you Anima regen. One of the first side missions in the first area is basically an arena gauntlet with permanent Scrampuss, probably to illustrate the above.

Obligatory: There's a loving Blighttown??? :gonk:

e:
Well at least I can make Nippon great again by draining the swamp :japan:

There’s an item that spawns a Scampuss too.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Takes No Damage posted:

The internet is screaming about how rare and precious they are but all you have to do is match the emote, same as the last game :rolleyes: They don't have an attack but give a high percent Copy Enhancement, which claims to give you enemy buffs when you lock on to them. Might come in handy for a magic-heavy level or for some human bosses?

If you just help randoms for a while you will be absolutely shocked by how many people don't have a the remotest clue on how the Nurikabe (secret wall dudes), the treasure chest goblins and the sudamas work. Earlier tonight I spawned into the mission where the rando was trying to get the kodama and sudama back to the shrine and me and the other summoned guy finally jumped off a cliff in frustration. And the sudama are the only ones new to Nioh 2.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

RatHat posted:

Are you using Burst counters? Those are pretty essential on most bosses and they help a lot on normal Yokai too.

There’s an item that spawns a Scampuss too.

I'm trying but my timing with them is garbage. I was never good at parrying in the first so the burst is rough. When am I supposed to be bursting? The tip/tutorial is not helpful at all. Also, why can't I ult with a full bar any more? I've only been able to do it when I'm in that weird dimension, but nowhere else. Is all this explained somewhere obvious or it is the normal japanese game style "you should just know this" type thing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JacksLibido posted:

Alright what am I doing wrong here. I absolutely loved Nioh 1, beat it and all the DLC twice, but I keep getting absolutely curb stomped by even the most basic yokai in Nioh 2, let alone the first boss. Is there something in 2 that I'm missing because I'm playing it like 1? It feels like all of my timings are off, I'm getting hit straight through block, and my yokai powers only sometimes work for reasons I can't tell at all.

I'm playing it like 1 plus using the yokai moves. Your yokai moves need fuel (basically hit things) and they light up when available at the top left. Remember the game is harder at the start, your toughness and ki pool don't last long. It's a bit of an adjustment if you're used to rolling around in big armour and acting non stop.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm playing it like 1 plus using the yokai moves. Your yokai moves need fuel (basically hit things) and they light up when available at the top left. Remember the game is harder at the start, your toughness and ki pool don't last long. It's a bit of an adjustment if you're used to rolling around in big armour and acting non stop.

Yeah I keep rolling to ki burst and it's loving me hard. The odachi seems a lot slower too, it was my go-to weapon in 1, but I've had to move to katana to get some speed back because the odachi now feels more like the battle axe speed wise.

I guess I'm just super bummed that I'm not digging this one near as much as the first. The first boss took me 3-4 tries (the bat chick took me like 20), but each try was fun. This one I'm smashing my dick against the basic demons and it's killing me. Maybe this one just isn't for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JacksLibido posted:

Yeah I keep rolling to ki burst and it's loving me hard. The odachi seems a lot slower too, it was my go-to weapon in 1, but I've had to move to katana to get some speed back because the odachi now feels more like the battle axe speed wise.

I guess I'm just super bummed that I'm not digging this one near as much as the first. The first boss took me 3-4 tries (the bat chick took me like 20), but each try was fun. This one I'm smashing my dick against the basic demons and it's killing me. Maybe this one just isn't for me.

Just unlock your Ki dodge on mid stance and go from there. That's the first thing I did. Game owns and is more fun than 1, stick with it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm really liking the Dual Hatchets, especially after unlocking Adept Training which really seems to open them up. I'd consider them a cross between dual katanas and kusarigama. Basically most enemies are always within reach for you to quickly punish them with a flying hatchet to the face.

I haven't tested it yet despite having the skill unlocked for a while, but it seems like Dragonfly and Retribution?(something else in the heavy stance) both seem geared to doing a ton of hits and applying debuffs quickly.

dragonfly has a suction effect that holds enemies on it but doesn't seem to hit multiple times unless they try to move out of it

the high stance one i assume you're thinking of does deal status well but just kind of stops unceremoniously and the finisher is locked behind the highest expertise level

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 17, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JacksLibido posted:

I'm trying but my timing with them is garbage. I was never good at parrying in the first so the burst is rough. When am I supposed to be bursting? The tip/tutorial is not helpful at all. Also, why can't I ult with a full bar any more? I've only been able to do it when I'm in that weird dimension, but nowhere else. Is all this explained somewhere obvious or it is the normal japanese game style "you should just know this" type thing?

When you are supposed to be bursting depends on which type you have:
  • Brute types are the most straight forward and forgiving. As soon as they turn red, hit your brute counter. It even has hyper armor so you can get hit and still land the counter.

• Phantoms are a guard and require a bit more precise timing. But even if you use it too early, you will still block the hit you just won't get the counter.

• Ferals are the least intuitive but can also be the most useful. Basically it's a dodge that leaves behind a slight trail. If the yokai hits either you or the trail, you get the counter. The huge benefit is that you can use this as an actual dodge on top of your regular dodges in case you are out of ki or both in conjuction in case you really hosed up your positioning. The downside is that you really need to be good on the timing or you will use it too early(and eat poo poo) or too late(and eat poo poo).

As for the yokai form, are you sure your icon is full and flashing? You should be able to do it anywhere just by hitting triangle and circle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gotta say I'm using a brute counter now and I like it much more than the feral. The feral tends to whiff and leave you open if you're doing a lot of poo poo and I don't get much use out of it as a dodge since I'm decent at managing ki. The worst case with the brute is you trade but you still get the counter. I've also got a 100 life on burst counter thing which means getting tapped by a chain of red attacks doesn't matter.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I like this much better than the first Nioh. It could just because the switch-glaive is ultra badass. The bosses seem much less gimicky as well.

After I pick the starter guardian spirit, where can I pick up the other two? I picked my starter without really thinking and now I'm too far to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

L-O-N posted:

I like this much better than the first Nioh. It could just because the switch-glaive is ultra badass. The bosses seem much less gimicky as well.

After I pick the starter guardian spirit, where can I pick up the other two? I picked my starter without really thinking and now I'm too far to restart.

I think it was chapter two where I got one of them, but it starts to rain new Pokemon pretty quickly if you want to start using a different type.