Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm surprised they don't just take a page out of the GOP playbook, and symbolically try to pass it 47 times, like the GOP tried with attempting to repeal Neoliberal Obamacare.

California Dems did that for single payer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

You can't inject any reason right now, people are all aboard the USS Everything's hosed, maybe on Monday when we have actual details we can have a more productive discussion.

For the record, calm down, y'all. We don't actually know anything yet, stop chicken littling about how it could be the worst thing ever.

It's not chicken littling there is really no reason to believe that there is going to be any improvement. Same people in charge pushing the same bullshit. Now they are stealing their slogan from Papa Johns. Atleast with Papa Johns you get a lovely pizza.

I'm not looking for Full Communism now just some actual competency.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

medicare for all is super popular atm, but lets just keep the current system but deregulate it a bit

this is the better way :lol:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 23, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axelord posted:

It's not chicken littling there is really no reason to believe that there is going to be any improvement. Same people in charge pushing the same bullshit. Now they are stealing their slogan from Papa Johns. Atleast with Papa Johns you get a lovely pizza.

I'm not looking for Full Communism now just some actual competency.

You're jumping to a judgement before we know the full details. Look, I'll agree, it's more than likely to be lovely and I have no doubt everyone here will claim it's the worst thing ever, but to me, this is a sign that the Dems are starting to wake up and learn the lesson of 2016.

It's going to be a long journey, we shouldn't start it by going "gently caress, it's all pointless, burn it all down!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Condiv posted:

medicare for all is super popular atm, but lets just keep the current system but deregulate it a bit

this is the better way :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uTsqJVAeo

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WampaLord posted:

You can't inject any reason right now, people are all aboard the USS Everything's hosed, maybe on Monday when we have actual details we can have a more productive discussion.

For the record, calm down, y'all. We don't actually know anything yet, stop chicken littling about how it could be the worst thing ever.

Did you miss the article that quotes Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi saying "“[it] is not about moving the party left or right, and it’s not about appealing to one coalition or another. A strong, sharp-edged, populist, bold economic message appeals to the Obama coalition and the former Democrats who voted for Trump” and “[it] is not a course correction, but it’s a presentation correction”?

When you have the party leaders coming out ahead of the big announcement to say it's the PR equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig, you should be worried. Because it's going to be a giant list of poo poo like

- $15 a hour living wage! *
- Job training! *
- Lower prescription drug prices! *
- Renegotiate trade deals! *
- Expand broadband access for rural/low-income areas! *

* In 2035.
* Through tax credits for businesses
* Through a government subsidy, with no attempt to actually lower prices
* Through making new, even larger, trade deals
* Through giving billions to corporations AT&T, Comcast, Charter, Verizon, etc. with no strings of them actually having to complete the project

(And what do you think happens when all of these half-measures fail? It's used as an example of why progressive policies don't work.)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 23, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you miss the article that quotes Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi saying "“[it] is not about moving the party left or right, and it’s not about appealing to one coalition or another. A strong, sharp-edged, populist, bold economic message appeals to the Obama coalition and the former Democrats who voted for Trump” and “[it] is not a course correction, but it’s a presentation correction”?

You're focusing on the messaging before we even know what the policies are.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Condiv you wanna tell D&D what you discovered or should I?

edit: phonepost

ded redd fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 23, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

that's the republican plan lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

that's the republican plan lol

loving :laffo: get owned you loving Arzying idiots.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why is it blue then??? huh smart guy??

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

WampaLord posted:

loving :laffo: get owned you loving Arzying idiots.

It's a pretty bad sign when people (including you) are capable of mistaking the ruling party's rhetoric for the opposition rhetoric

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

It's a pretty bad sign when people (including you) are capable of mistaking the ruling party's rhetoric for the opposition rhetoric

I never said anything about that health plan, I was only discussing the Better Deal stuff.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

No, see, it's a good thing that they both use nearly identical language for nearly the same policies because it's proof that the stupid Arzying leftists are idiots :hellyeah:

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
...is it unreasonable to have the impression they're trying to advertise to businesses, not voters?

I don't mean that in a cynical way. The outline is pretty much all stuff that would primarily be public-private partnerships. I'm being completely sincere, I don't see how what they're advertising could have been written with voters in mind. Are they just at a point where they think they've hit rock bottom and GOP can't gain seats so they can rely on Trump to scare up votes without engaging the electorate? It really comes off like they're courting donors with no concern for votes.

Do they even know things are bad? Why are we voting for 90 year olds who probably still have new deal era as a frame of reference? How do we primary Schumer and Pelosi?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sneakster posted:

How do we primary Schumer and Pelosi?

See, this is how I know you're a disingenuous idiot, because Pelosi already has a primary opponent lined up.

http://observer.com/2017/04/nancy-pelosi-pro-sanders-primary-challenger-stephen-jaffe/

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

See, this is how I know you're a disingenuous idiot, because Pelosi already has a primary opponent lined up.

http://observer.com/2017/04/nancy-pelosi-pro-sanders-primary-challenger-stephen-jaffe/

Oh thank God.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sneakster posted:

...is it unreasonable to have the impression they're trying to advertise to businesses, not voters?
[/quote]
No, because political parties are MLM scams that reward you based on your ability to solicit bribes donations from businesses and their agents. See: Pelosi.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Haha "clears out the bureaucracy" corporate speak for deregulate and cut, cut ,cut!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Democrats don't have a messaging problem, they have a policy problem. If the leadership was gonna head left, there'd probably be chatter about. As the chatter is about messaging, lol the democrats are a waste.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kobayashi posted:

Democrats don't have a messaging problem, they have a policy problem.

They definitely have both.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Axetrain posted:

Haha "clears out the bureaucracy" corporate speak for deregulate and cut, cut ,cut!

It's sad that this has been used as cover for cutting essential services so many times that if someone came along who actually wanted to cut bureaucracy, they'd have to prove themselves to me by packing it with other things that'd have to be implemented first. For example, making the policies concerning college administration overpay contingent on free-community-college-for-all policies being implemented

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Like 15$ an hour minimum wage and UHC are the absolute minimum they are going to have to come out in favor of for me to consider them redeemable. There is no reason other than being in the same wealthy pockets as Republicans for every Democrat to at the very least be firmly in favor of those two things.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

They definitely have both.
Its good to show contempt for your base.

Axetrain posted:

Like 15$ an hour minimum wage and UHC are the absolute minimum they are going to have to come out in favor of for me to consider them redeemable. There is no reason other than being in the same wealthy pockets as Republicans for every Democrat to at the very least be firmly in favor of those two things.
No go, Mississippi lowered its minimum wage after Trump suggested it, so clearly they'll have to follow suit if they want to peel off Trump voters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bend the knee isn't sexist.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

Bend the knee isn't sexist.

Smell the glove is.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/888919403760431107

Are Troops.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gently caress is there an uber tent there at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm surprised they don't just take a page out of the GOP playbook, and symbolically try to pass it 47 times, like the GOP tried with attempting to repeal Neoliberal Obamacare.

That's what they did in California, passed single payer a bunch of times for Arnold to veto, "we just can't pass this because of those mean Republicans, keep voting for us to beat them", but then they accidentally caught that car when the voters believed them and gave them a supermajority plus the governor's mansion.

So now it's "drafting legislation is really hard you guys. Gosh we'd love to pass something but we lawmakers just can't spend any time writing laws, ohhhhh well." *clinks champagne glasses with insurance and drug company lobbyists*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The day after the California Assembly speaker tabled single payer indefinitely, the Trump Depression Thread for Hand-wringing Liberals was full of the usual morons smugposting about how childish it is to expect lawmakers to write laws and Serious Adults all understand that you have to wait for the legislation fairy to leave a fully costed complete proposal under your pillow at night.

Maybe some of you dumb lazy voters should have done all that work and stapled the full bill to your ballot :smaug:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the full bill existed. the CA dems just refused to vote for anything requiring taxes or actually going against the will of their corporate donors. single payer supporters in the senate put out the barebone bill as a tactic to get it before the assembly which then killed it

of course they were more than happy to pass the gas tax

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm getting the feeling that the Democratic Party is a waste... :thunk:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a7e5_story.html

Nancy Pelosi posted:

Last week, our nation marked six months since President Trump’s inauguration.

For the first time in a decade, the GOP had the White House, Congress and complete control of the legislative process to advance its agenda. But instead of creating good-paying jobs, or rebuilding America’s crumbling infrastructure, or advancing tax reform, Republicans have spent six months trying to raise Americans’ health costs to fund tax breaks for billionaires.

Democrats have a better approach — in fact, a better deal. On Monday, House and Senate Democrats are traveling to the town of Berryville, Va., to announce a fresh vision for “A Better Deal: Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future.”

What motivates us is that the costs of living keep rising, but families feel their incomes and wages aren’t keeping up. Special interests are given special treatment, while hard-working Americans are ignored. Working people from the heartland to the cities are struggling in a rigged economy and a system stacked against them.

Our agenda is focused on efforts to create jobs and raise incomes for American workers, to lower the cost of living for American families, and to build an economy that gives every American the tools to succeed in the 21st century.

It is an ambitious economic agenda that represents a renewed Democratic commitment to the hard-working men and women across the United States who have been left out and left behind for too long. As part of that commitment, Democrats are announcing three new proposals rooted in a bold approach to the challenges facing the United States.

First, Democrats are pledging ourselves to the goal of creating good-paying, full-time jobs for 10 million more Americans in the next five years.

It is time to ignite a new era of investment in America’s workers, empowering all Americans with the skills they need to compete in the modern economy. We are calling for a new tax credit for employers to train and hire workers at a good wage, and a massive new national commitment to expanding apprenticeships and paid on-the-job training that advances their skills and careers.

While we grow jobs, wages and the economy, Democrats know that a better deal for the American people demands strong action to tackle rising costs that are eating up families’ budgets.

Prescription drug prices are jacked up, and Americans have fewer options at increased costs. Large communications companies merge, and families see fewer options and higher bills. Agriculture giants consolidate, while farmers struggle and prices in Americans’ shopping carts rise. The price of gas goes down, but plane tickets become more expensive and airlines keep adding fees.

With this agenda, Democrats’ pledge ourselves to breaking the grip of the special interests and confronting the rising everyday costs that families have endured for too long.

That is the impetus behind our second proposal, to put economic power back into the hands of the American people, cracking down on the monopolies and big corporate mergers that harm consumers, workers and competition. We will demand that proposed mergers meet tough new standards to protect competition before approval, and will institute post-merger reviews to ensure that consolidated companies keep their promises to American consumers.

Third, Democrats will take unprecedented aggressive action to lower the cost of prescription drugs — the single largest factor driving increasing health costs in the United States today. We will leverage the power of Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices, force drug manufactures to open their books and justify cost increases, and create a strong, independent enforcement agency empowered to end outrageous and unjustified prescription drug price-gouging.

The past six months have exposed the toxic special-interest priorities at the core of the Republican agenda. The American people deserve better. With a Democratic Congress, a better deal is exactly what Democrats will give them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The past six months have exposed the toxic special-interest policies at the core of the republican agenda. The people deserve the toxic special-interest policies at the core of the democrat agenda. Better Deal.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the full bill existed. the CA dems just refused to vote for anything requiring taxes or actually going against the will of their corporate donors. single payer supporters in the senate put out the barebone bill as a tactic to get it before the assembly which then killed it

of course they were more than happy to pass the gas tax

they'd have to raise $600b in new taxes to cover the $300b in health care costs thanks to that school funding proposition, which is a bit of a sticking point

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Tax credits for donors, and if you don't pay up we'll shake you down on selectively enforced anti-competition rules that we won't bother any major players with.

I don't mean to be all STEMlordy, but aren't most of the skills and training for competition in modern economy based in uh, college education in technical disciplines?

I don't think the minimum wage job with unstable less-than-full time hours you have a 1/48 chance of getting at a company that itself is getting a tax break worth more than you'll get paid after a mandatory unpaid two week training program run out of the local DSS where they ransom food stamps over attending, and gently caress you if you have class, is an effective method to make people competitive in modern economy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

We are calling for a new :siren: tax credit for employers :siren: to train and hire workers at a good wage, and a massive new national commitment to expanding apprenticeships and paid on-the-job training that advances their skills and careers.

There's the magic word.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future

Uncle Tom's™

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

they'd have to raise $600b in new taxes to cover the $300b in health care costs thanks to that school funding proposition, which is a bit of a sticking point

i'd have to check but i heard the funding for the program was to be set up as a trust to get around that

e: yep it would have created a trust to administer the funds

http://www.healthycaliforniaact.org/wp-content/uploads/SB-562-QA-Flyer.pdf

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cracking down on the monopolies and big corporate mergers that harm consumers, workers and competition.

:lol::lol:

:laffo:

• Locked thread