Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

oooooof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Modest Mao posted:

this makes a hell of a lot of sense to me, is there a reason it shouldn't

edit: aside from obviously unloading a double barrel means you would need to next reload

It's illegal and dangerous to fire a gun into the air, and leaves you vulnerable once you have an empty gun in your hands. People assume that humans will behave rationally when confronted with a violent threat, which is foolhardy. A similar notion to the deterrant power of warning shots is that people will recommend getting a pump-action shotgun, so that when you pump the gun you'll scare off a threat because, presumably, everyone knows what that distinctive sound means. There's no guarantee it won't set someone into a fighting panic instead of scaring them off.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
In 2009 when they planned to build a community in Texas called Paulville that was built around Ron Paul’s ideology.

I’m guessing a lot of goons donated?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Chuka Umana posted:

In 2009 when they planned to build a community in Texas called Paulville that was built around Ron Paul’s ideology.

I’m guessing a lot of goons donated?

Ron Paul blimp

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's amazing to me how hard obama's admin teamed up with insurance companies in trying to trick people into conflating insurance with actual healthcare, even going so far as to toe the line by using language like "health insurance providers"

sure they allowed these companies to write the bill and it was an impressive amount of money to dumptruck into them so it seems obvious in hindsight, but it's just crazy to me how many people are still obama fans

I legit believe that he thought insurance companies wouldn't be so greedy that, barely a decade after the ACA passed, making their entire industry illegal would be on the table.

If we make it another decade or two, there's going to be some fascinating retrospectives on just how the mask of sanity slipped off capitalism in response to the Great Recession and whatever is coming in the next couple years.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Azathoth posted:

I legit believe that he thought insurance companies wouldn't be so greedy that, barely a decade after the ACA passed, making their entire industry illegal would be on the table.

If we make it another decade or two, there's going to be some fascinating retrospectives on just how the mask of sanity slipped off capitalism in response to the Great Recession and whatever is coming in the next couple years.

are you implying something bad is going to happen under President Sanders

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I don't even own a pair of pajamas and I can't conceive of feeling comfortable wearing them in public.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chuka Umana posted:

are you implying something bad is going to happen under President Sanders

we're nearing the end of the new gilded age, I look forward to president danders ushering in the new progressive age that will follow. doubt it's gonna be a fun ride though

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Big dick move to leave that tweet up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Eat This Glob posted:

it isnt. it was "taken down at the request of norman"???

i have no idea who norman is or what the video was

if you click the tweet itself, it has the title as "Angela & Strawberry - Kissing Teasing Licking & Cumming"

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

is this cool adam?

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

is this cool adam?

i think it's just adam

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I've tried to find a place to buy these pajamas online with no luck. :negative:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imagine being the guy in that picture

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Lol dude thinks he's doing stock photos for Christmastime and ends up a laughingstock after the Obama admin uses it for the healthcare.gov launch

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spergin Morlock posted:

Lol dude thinks he's doing stock photos for Christmastime and ends up a laughingstock after the Obama admin uses it for the healthcare.gov launch

the trust fund kid to class warrior pipeline summarized in a single post lmao

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

He worked for OFA and the photos were specifically taken to promote Obamacare lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cenotaph posted:

I don't even own a pair of pajamas and I can't conceive of feeling comfortable wearing them in public.

Way back, around the turn of the century, I was in high school and we had once-yearly "come to school in your pjs" events. Then in college there was the odd idiot who would try to do this on campus but they were always outcast types and that look never caught on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Azathoth posted:

The guy who had to pass a law saying "no you can't take someone's money for years then cancel their insurance when they get sick and it's time to hold up your end of the deal" didn't know insurance companies are greedy and evil

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

all dem marketing meetings should be required to have one rough working class person with veto power

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

steinrokkan posted:

hm

Looks cozy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You forgot Poland

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

People getting mad at Jane Fonda

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tulip posted:

In 2019, lol

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Tulip posted:

Local CHUD in the past year

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

People ascribe this naivete to Obama all the time for all kinds of reasons and I have no idea why. In no way does he come off as naive, he knew exactly what he was doing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LastInLine posted:

People ascribe this naivete to Obama all the time for all kinds of reasons and I have no idea why. In no way does he come off as naive, he knew exactly what he was doing

Let's dispel with this fiction that Obama didn't know what he was doing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

E: gently caress you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dubya describes this in his book as the lowest point of his presidency

not the storm itself or the deaths or the botched response, but that broadcast

heckuva job

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

WampaLord posted:

Let's dispel with this fiction that Obama didn't know what he was doing

Rubio short circuit aside, it's hilarious how brazen Obama was in just immediately dropping the mask once he got into the White House. "I'm the only one standing between you and the pitchforks," the Grand Bargain attempt, allowing dozens of Republican amendments to the ACA while getting no votes for it, having at least $200 billion in unused TARP funds and letting banks foreclose on millions of people instead of having the government renegotiate the terms of those mortgages so people could keep their homes, turning Libya into a slave state, maintaining illegal wiretapping, sitting on the sidelines during the Wisconsin public employees strikes.

Our only hope is people stopping to wonder, "hey why did the Hope & Change guy buy a $15-million mansion?" :thunk:

But tbh he's always gonna be considered a top 5 president because of who came before and after him, even though it's completely unearned

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

But tbh he's always gonna be considered a top 5 president because of who came before and after him, even though it's completely unearned

Also the overall quality of American presidents.

Only FDR and Lincoln had any redeeming characteristics

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Filthy Hans posted:

Way back, around the turn of the century, I was in high school and we had once-yearly "come to school in your pjs" events. Then in college there was the odd idiot who would try to do this on campus but they were always outcast types and that look never caught on.

I teach at a college and like 40% of my students wear at least pyjama pants 3+ days/wk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ikanreed posted:

Also the overall quality of American presidents.

Only FDR and Lincoln had any redeeming characteristics

I've got a soft spot for Grant.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. Obama knew that what he was doing, in that he was trying to prop up a failing insurance industry to specifically avoid moving to a sane, single payer system because that would mean a lot less cash for business and Obama is like a reply guy, but for plutocrats.

The point I was poorly making was that I think Obama legit believed that the insurance industry would pull a page out of the oil or tobacco industry playbook and try to maintain a veneer of utility to the public, not because of altruism but because what they're doing now is the corporate equivalent of ripping the copper out of the walls.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/905171252452757507

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1077375011600678912

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. Obama knew that what he was doing, in that he was trying to prop up a failing insurance industry to specifically avoid moving to a sane, single payer system because that would mean a lot less cash for business and Obama is like a reply guy, but for plutocrats.

The point I was poorly making was that I think Obama legit believed that the insurance industry would pull a page out of the oil or tobacco industry playbook and try to maintain a veneer of utility to the public, not because of altruism but because what they're doing now is the corporate equivalent of ripping the copper out of the walls.

You're right, it's just that I hear it all the time. Oh, he didn't know Republicans would never work with him on anything! Oh how could he know that closing Gitmo would be so hard? He just didn't know that it wouldn't be easy to end two wars!

Anyone who genuinely believes that poo poo (especially now) has got to be the most gullible idiot on the planet.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

This just happened to me, but I met a libertarian at the bar (who introduced herself with a business card that said 'libertarian', lol) and she mentioned that she had a communist friend who was a history professor. She was like, "he knows about history and still wants to be a communist!" and I'm like " haha well maybe he knows more about history than you do"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In the wake of the 2017 violence in Charlottesville, ESPN quietly removed Korean-American play-by-play man Robert Lee from its upcoming broadcast of a University of Virginia home football game.