Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tezzor posted:

And Synthesist and Master Summoner are worse

Synthesist isn't worse, it's just broken in a more obvious and straightforward way. The summoner's action economy is huge.

Master Summoner is the single most awful class in the entire game, if only because taking fifteen turns each round slows the game to a crawl in a way that even the most AP-afflicted wizard can only dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
How does CR work for calculating difficulty? I have a friend who played a lot of 2E and 3.5E, and he says that a party of 8 level 9 adventurers should fight, when dealing with a swarm of stirge, 2^9 of them? That seems like... a lot.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The better question is why are 9th level characters fighting CR 1/2 creatures?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
At level 9, there is literally no amount of stirges that could threaten a party that has a wizard with teleport.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
This is a pretty handy reference to find class guides. It notably includes guides for Dreamscarred's stuff, which is very handy.

E:

quote:

Synthesist isn't worse, it's just broken in a more obvious and straightforward way. The summoner's action economy is huge.

The Synthesist is just much more in your face about obsoleting all martial classes. The Summoner is flat-out better to a hilarious degree, but it's mildly obfuscated by the fact that it's split into two 'characters'.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
For the sorcerer, there was a guide that was based on treeantmonk's guide specifically tailored to the limited spells known aspect, you could poke around for it a little.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Hey buds,

I've been playing PF with a good group of friends recently, and so far I am really liking it. I don't have a huge amount of experience with pen and paper RPGs, but I'm picking it up. As I've been watching the gears turn in the game, I've been more and more curious about what I might be missing out on. I use HeroLab for my character, and so far only bought the basic PF core set (. I am wondering, are there any other books/sets I should consider buying? Would stuff like Adventurer's Armory be helpful? Are there any must-haves? I am currently running a level 6 Paladin. Speaking of which, are there any important things to keep in mind as I play that character?

I am not DMing or anything, but I am more and more curious about that side of the table. My group is friendly and relaxed and I was considering asking the DM if I could guest-DM a sidequest at some point, what books would I need for that? We've been traipsing around a major city and its underworld so far, so I was thinking something on a manowar-size ship might be fun (my DM has a huge hardon for making us use our climb and swim skills, I figure a big ship with a lot of rigging could be a fun way to play with that theme).

Whenever I have another character, I was really looking hard at being a shuriken-spewing monk. Any books that would add fun flavor to that? I've glanced over some guides for both monk and paladin and they have good advice, but our group is a little more fun-oriented so some of the min-max stuff seems a bit too try-hard, I guess. I'm just looking for any basic stuff so I don't gimp myself.

I looked in the OP and didn't see anything, sorry if I missed something obvious. Thanks!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Gensuki posted:

How does CR work for calculating difficulty? I have a friend who played a lot of 2E and 3.5E, and he says that a party of 8 level 9 adventurers should fight, when dealing with a swarm of stirge, 2^9 of them? That seems like... a lot.

Here is how I work CR in my pathfinder campaign: Combat lasts five rounds. The players don't get to see my notes which I make up on the fly. The monsters have as many hitpoints, surprise templates, and reinforcements as they need to last five rounds.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Scrimsax posted:

Hey goons, I wanted some advice. I've sttarted planning my next campaign (the current one is wrapping up within the month), and I decided I want to try out the mythic rules. Any advice on running a campaign like this? Recognizing that power creep is gonna be real, I've banned 9 level spell progression classes and summoner, but the effective level of a character being equal to level+half mythic tier seems a bit low, considering the benefits of mythic tiers.

Any thoughts on this, or the mythic rules in general?

I'm playing in a Kingmaker campaign that uses the mythic rules (just reached 9th level, 3rd mythic tier). They work okay but they don't feel particularly mythic to me -- more like another collection of mostly situational bennies and bonuses on top of what you already get. My character is using the Marshal path and it's endlessly amusing to me when I use my awesome mythic might to do something that a 1st-level warlord can do in 4E.

Mythic characters do seem to get nearly impossible to kill and keep dead, between the Hard to Kill benefit, surge-powered saves, and the amount of healing and rez power a Hierophant can throw around.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 3, 2015

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

The Aegis from Ultimate Psionics is similar and really fun. You create an astral suit using your mind and modify it with a point system like an eidolon. It's also, you know, actually balanced.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis

Looks like what I wanted, thank you! Psionics is always the answer :colbert:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Selachian posted:

I'm playing in a Kingmaker campaign that uses the mythic rules (just reached 9th level, 3rd mythic tier). They work okay but they don't feel particularly mythic to me -- more like another collection of mostly situational bennies and bonuses on top of what you already get. My character is using the Marshal path and it's endlessly amusing to me when I use my awesome mythic might to do something that a 1st-level warlord can do in 4E.

It's better for spellcasters (of course) but even then the tier 6 stuff like "persistent mage's magnificent mansion" isn't ultimately as interesting as just using an 8th or 9th level spell.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Roadie posted:

It's better for spellcasters (of course) but even then the tier 6 stuff like "persistent mage's magnificent mansion" isn't ultimately as interesting as just using an 8th or 9th level spell.

As it turns out, "phenominal cosmic power" is something that spellcasters already had. Who knew?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The mythic rules for casters are less about giving them new phenomenal cosmic powers and more about making their already phenomenal cosmic powers more versatile, consistent and powerful.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Andrast posted:

The mythic rules for casters are less about giving them new phenomenal cosmic powers and more about making their already phenomenal cosmic powers more versatile, consistent and powerful.

Not to mention the whole "spend a mythic point to cast any spell on your spell list at +2 CL, even if you don't know it or have it memorized" thing.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
My friends and I are doing a pirate campaign and I was wondering about some statistics of a ship? How thick is a hull, how heavy is a boat, and how fast does a boat move?

I am building a dumb gimmick character who wants to push and pull ships... He can drag ~20,000 lb at level 3 and that doubles next level, so I feel like I should be able to haul a small to medium boat around if I tie some knots correctly?

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Unless I'm remembering it wrong, if you have a swim speed, you can lift things while swimming which isn't too hard to pick up from spells, items, etc.

Then you can suplex enemy ships. They don't have a dex score, gently caress all cmd beyond size mods, you can do it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Ambi posted:

Unless I'm remembering it wrong, if you have a swim speed, you can lift things while swimming which isn't too hard to pick up from spells, items, etc.

Then you can suplex enemy ships. They don't have a dex score, gently caress all cmd beyond size mods, you can do it.

Trying to picture a guy trying to grapple a ship and it's amazing, I want to play this right now

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
I pulled it off as a wereshark pirate once, though admittedly I was just trying to hold the ship up and prevent it from sinking, because my quartermaster npc had nicked it as spoils and it was full of loot.
Cleric animated some trees, and I tossed it to them and safety.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Paizo has a ton of rules about sailing and ships. Here are a few.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My friend needed a guy to fill in and be the tank of the group. Does anyone know what are the best tank builds in the system? Any advice is appreciated.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Covok posted:

My friend needed a guy to fill in and be the tank of the group. Does anyone know what are the best tank builds in the system? Any advice is appreciated.

Why be a tank when you can be several tanks? Bear Shaman.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Why be a tank when you can be several tanks? Bear Shaman.

This or Cleric.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Covok posted:

If you don't want to beat the spellcaster dead horse, Warder is a fuckin' hoot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think I'm going to go the Warder root because he allows homebrew and likes Dreamscarred. In other words, might as well use that stuff while I got the chance since I bought Path of War.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
How does status effect metamagic work with persistent spell effects?

If I summon a wall of fire and make it dazing, will they have to make a saving throw every time the wall "attacks" them or does the first save clear them?

The actual case is Frost Fall+Rime Spell. Unless they have cold resistance, they are always damaged, so they are always entangled, but I am not sure if they would stay entangled until they move out of the frigid zone, or if they are just entangled for the first 2 rounds...

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
By RAW, it looks like they'll be entangled for two rounds every time they are hit (e.g. if they are stuck in the Frost Fall AoE for two rounds, they suffer four total rounds from the entangled condition).

Covok
May 27, 2013

I made the Warder and I like it alot, but I'm wondering two things: how good is 24 (26 in Stance of Defending Shell) AC at 5th level? and what are the best ways to lower armor check penalties?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Covok posted:

I made the Warder and I like it alot, but I'm wondering two things: how good is 24 (26 in Stance of Defending Shell) AC at 5th level? and what are the best ways to lower armor check penalties?

If you're using traits, the Armor Expert combat trait reduces your armor check penalty by -1 for any armor you wear, which is pretty solid. Masterwork armor has the check penalty reduced by 1. Agile breastplate has an inherently lowered check for various mobility skill checks, but if you're going heavy on AC it's a bit limited in that department. If you can afford to craft armor out of Mithral it reduces checks by up to -3.

Covok
May 27, 2013

GaistHeidegger posted:

If you're using traits, the Armor Expert combat trait reduces your armor check penalty by -1 for any armor you wear, which is pretty solid. Masterwork armor has the check penalty reduced by 1. Agile breastplate has an inherently lowered check for various mobility skill checks, but if you're going heavy on AC it's a bit limited in that department. If you can afford to craft armor out of Mithral it reduces checks by up to -3.

I got the Armor Expert trait as we are using traits. Didn't know about the rest of that. Since we're only 5th level, I don't think we can do the rest of it yet, but I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Covok posted:

Generally, AC is a sucker's game long-term. You can't make it scale as fast as attack bonuses (Enchantment bonus + BAB + Primary stat bonus vs. Enchantment bonus + Secondary or tertiary stat bonus); it starts off much better than attack bonuses, especially with heavy armor, but that falls off over time. You're much better off trying to get effects like Blur (flat 20% miss chance) or Mirror Image (75% miss chance but subject to some diminishing returns) if you can.

With that said, 24/26 sounds pretty good and because you're already using shields, maybe even as your primary weapon, you can do some tricksy things with them that let you scale your AC pretty fast. Warders also inherently get some good bonuses in this department, being a well-designed class. If you hit next level you get Clad in Steel, which will also reduce your ACP (and increase max Dex bonus) by 1.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

With enough work, you can make yourself unhittable at any given level (lower levels are actually the hardest). It's very expensive and requires some trade-offs with offense, though. Also most of the AC optimization doesn't do much for touch AC and nothing at all for spells which don't make attack rolls, so you're still weak to magic.

EDIT: This page from the Bestiary shows the general average progression of monster to-hit rolls from CR 1/2 to CR 20, among other things. It's a guideline, not a hard and fast rule, but it'll give you at least an idea where you stand.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 10, 2015

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Zurai posted:

With enough work, you can make yourself unhittable at any given level (lower levels are actually the hardest). It's very expensive and requires some trade-offs with offense, though. Also most of the AC optimization doesn't do much for touch AC and nothing at all for spells which don't make attack rolls, so you're still weak to magic.

EDIT: This page from the Bestiary shows the general average progression of monster to-hit rolls from CR 1/2 to CR 20, among other things. It's a guideline, not a hard and fast rule, but it'll give you at least an idea where you stand.

Would you mind an overview of an unhittable build? I've been considering one to go with my "gently caress it" 6 AC Barbarian.

I was planning on going 1 level Lunar Oracle with Charisma to AC and Reflex, rest Sacred Shield Paladin focusing on high Charisma. Really nice defensive options for protecting others, real difficult to land hits on and crazy saving throws. Hilariously bad at skills though. Fwiw I play PFS.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

Hilariously bad at skills though.
That's fine, spells substitute for those anyway.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Every time I look at the paizo forums to check a rules thing I'm real happy I don't play with those people holy poo poo nerds are terrible. Was looking up spring loaded wrist sheaths, accelerated drinker and potions, and half the posts are garbage like well potions aren't EXACTLY forearm length so they can't be used. The worst dumb poo poo rules lawyering oh my god

gently caress you i'm loading a potion in that sucker and firing it straight into my face and drinking it because that's hilairous. Just aiming the potion at my mouth and firing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

sugar free jazz posted:

Would you mind an overview of an unhittable build? I've been considering one to go with my "gently caress it" 6 AC Barbarian.

I was planning on going 1 level Lunar Oracle with Charisma to AC and Reflex, rest Sacred Shield Paladin focusing on high Charisma. Really nice defensive options for protecting others, real difficult to land hits on and crazy saving throws. Hilariously bad at skills though. Fwiw I play PFS.

Basically, it's possible to get AC to ludicrously high levels, but you have to sacrifice a lot of magic item slots and most of your offense to do it. 10 base, 14 (24 running total) from +5 mithral full plate, 9 (33) from a +5 tower shield, 5 (38) from an amulet of natural armor or permanent barkskin, 5 (43) from a ring of deflection or permanent shield of faith, 1 (44) from a dusty rose ioun stone, 5 (49) from a +5 defending weapon, 1 (50) from the Dodge feat, 3 (53) from Dexterity, then however much you can get from race and class features. Small size is +1, tiny is +2, inherent natural armor stacks with the amulet, various stat-to-AC class abilities, etc. Also spells sometimes can give odd bonus types like insight (doesn't stack with the ioun stone) and dodge (stacks with everything).

You give up a ton of offense for this, though. The tower shield is -2 to all attack rolls and using the defending weapon for AC means you aren't getting its hit and damage bonuses either. Smite Evil can make up for a lot of that, of course, and if your Charisma is high enough it'll even obviate the need for/surpass the bonus from a ring of protection.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

sugar free jazz posted:

Every time I look at the paizo forums to check a rules thing I'm real happy I don't play with those people holy poo poo nerds are terrible. Was looking up spring loaded wrist sheaths, accelerated drinker and potions, and half the posts are garbage like well potions aren't EXACTLY forearm length so they can't be used. The worst dumb poo poo rules lawyering oh my god

gently caress you i'm loading a potion in that sucker and firing it straight into my face and drinking it because that's hilairous. Just aiming the potion at my mouth and firing.

On one hand sure. On the other hand, Pathfinder supposedly has balance, and perhaps the designers really only intended the sheath to apply to weapons; they were similarly restrictive when they narrowed Quick Draw from 3e.
I mean that's obviously laughable but the sort of person that lives on those forums does specifically care about what the "right" rules are, which is admirable, or would be if Pathfinder was actually designed well.

On the first hand again, that's the kind of video game beep boop strict logic (not a weapon, doesn't work even if it's the same size and shape as a weapon) that made everyone rage about 4e, and Pathfinder is doubly poo poo in how sometimes it uses common sense and naturalistic interpretations and other times goes "not a weapon!!!" or whatever. Ugh.

e: The other underlying problem is the need to draw a potion as a move action, gently caress that noise. Should be included in the standard action used to drink it. Which could explicitly be done even if you're holding a weapon. Would solve like all the problems. Or at least the ones dealing with drinking potions.

zachol fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 13, 2015

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This isn't tax law (no matter how badly some people want it to be). When a rules question comes up always err on the side of fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This isn't tax law (no matter how badly some people want it to be). When a rules question comes up always err on the side of fun.

If by fun you mean the version that fucks the martials more, I agree.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

As a total loving munchkin and also someone who generally only plays online (where you don't want to spend time on a back and forth rules discussion) or in PFS (where RAW is super double extra important), I'd like my game to have fairly understandable rules that behave predictably and consistently and have my characters work the way I expect they will without having to get the GM to okay every little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zachol posted:

As a total loving munchkin and also someone who generally only plays online (where you don't want to spend time on a back and forth rules discussion) or in PFS (where RAW is super double extra important), I'd like my game to have fairly understandable rules that behave predictably and consistently and have my characters work the way I expect they will without having to get the GM to okay every little thing.

You are playing the wrong RPG.