Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

Is there any way to get the Verizon Max plan without signing up for Edge? I'm willing to lose my unlimited data to lock in 6gb, which is plenty for me. If I don't do Max my option is to switch my family voice plan to a shared plan, which increases my monthly rate by at least $20. I'm considering using the upgrade on my dumb phone line, then switching the phone to the unlimited line. This seems risky because if Verizon kills my unlimited data on the no-contract line I'm still stuck for 2 years.

At this point I'm wondering if it's easier and cheaper to switch to T-Mobile.
As far as I know, the 6 GB plan for unlimited users is still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

Is there any way to get the Verizon Max plan without signing up for Edge? I'm willing to lose my unlimited data to lock in 6gb, which is plenty for me. If I don't do Max my option is to switch my family voice plan to a shared plan, which increases my monthly rate by at least $20. I'm considering using the upgrade on my dumb phone line, then switching the phone to the unlimited line. This seems risky because if Verizon kills my unlimited data on the no-contract line I'm still stuck for 2 years.

At this point I'm wondering if it's easier and cheaper to switch to T-Mobile.

You may need to give them one of the billing codes here to get it, apparently.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412884&pagenumber=259&perpage=40#post419472321

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Thanks, I stopped in store before I saw this and (as always) they had no idea. So if I'm fine swapping unlimited for 6gb I should be able to call Verizon, have them add the 6gb plan, and then I can upgrade through Costco or Amazon since I don't have unlimited to muck things up?

Also, how is battery life and reception on the HTC One, Moto X, and Droid Maxx in real life? I have a GNex that is god awful at handling 4G/3G/1x swapping and can't make it through a work day without being near death. I'd prefer the Moto X or One which are narrower but wonder if the Maxx battery may be what I really need.

Finally, is the Droid Mini not a piece of poo poo? Wife would prefer that size vs the HTC One, all things equal.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Thanks, I stopped in store before I saw this and (as always) they had no idea. So if I'm fine swapping unlimited for 6gb I should be able to call Verizon, have them add the 6gb plan, and then I can upgrade through Costco or Amazon since I don't have unlimited to muck things up?

Also, how is battery life and reception on the HTC One, Moto X, and Droid Maxx in real life? I have a GNex that is god awful at handling 4G/3G/1x swapping and can't make it through a work day without being near death. I'd prefer the Moto X or One which are narrower but wonder if the Maxx battery may be what I really need.

Finally, is the Droid Mini not a piece of poo poo? Wife would prefer that size vs the HTC One, all things equal.

I've found that using my Droid Maxx all day on auto brightness, wifi / 4G mix, sending lots of texts / emails and browsing facebook / SA whenever I am still at 30-40% at 2AM even after taking the phone off charge at 8am. I've never actually let it run fully through to 0% but even loving around on it all day long with no optimization can't kill it in one day.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
My maxx makes it 30+ hours without any worries about usage and when I usually have a terrible cellular connection. Highly recommended.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

You can spin it off to a single line like the 450 or 900. Those plans with unlimited SMS are 59.99 & 79.99 before adding the 29.99 unlimited data plan.

Awesome, this is excellent news. I really didn't want to give up my unlimited. Is it essentially like signing a new contract then, as in does the 2 years start from when I split it off or what?

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the ONLY way to keep my unlimited data when I upgrade is to:

-Upgrade someone else's phone on the same plan, then swap phones

-Buy the phone outright, then swap to it

Is that right? No other options unless I want to go down to 6 or even 2 gigs?

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

IRSmurf posted:

Orders placed for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 during Verizon's unintentional unlimited data upgrades are not keeping their unlimited data after their phones complete the automatic activation process. Upon turning on my phone for the first time, I immediately got a text message that I was over my data usage limit and I was being charged for all additional data.

Calls to customer support are resulting in run arounds by CSR's. If I hadn't taken screen shots of my order process, they would not have reinstated my unlimited data plan. A few days ago, the CSR who helped me claimed to have escalated my request. However, Verizon still says I'm on a 2 GB / month plan.

Verizon also changed my invoice. My original invoice, of which I wisely kept copies, says unlimited data. Verizon's new, fraudulent invoice says my order included 2 GB data plan. I believe this constitutes a change in my service agreement. If they don't reinstate my unlimited data, I'll try to walk out of my agreement and keep the phone without an ETF.

Verizon returned my unlimited data, today. I'm glad I waited patiently and resisted the urge to call in and vent at the powerless CSR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JP Money posted:

I've found that using my Droid Maxx all day on auto brightness, wifi / 4G mix, sending lots of texts / emails and browsing facebook / SA whenever I am still at 30-40% at 2AM even after taking the phone off charge at 8am. I've never actually let it run fully through to 0% but even loving around on it all day long with no optimization can't kill it in one day.

The other week I was using like I usually do during the week (which admittedly is pretty light) and I put it on charge at 14% battery after 58 hours off charge. Battery life is just incredible.

oschesar
Apr 22, 2006

Pain or damage don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen
Shiny Globule

Endless Mike posted:

As far as I know, the 6 GB plan for unlimited users is still available.

I went to Verizon today and they wouldn't upgrade to 6GB unless I switched to Edge. The rep said that there wasn't even a way for him to enter the code listed earlier in the thread.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

oschesar posted:

I went to Verizon today and they wouldn't upgrade to 6GB unless I switched to Edge. The rep said that there wasn't even a way for him to enter the code listed earlier in the thread.

He was full of poo poo or a trainee.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

oschesar posted:

He either didn't want to do it or didn't know what he was doing. I upgraded 2 iPhone 4S phones to 5s on Sunday without any grief. Just told the guy what I wanted and he did it all from his Verizon iPad.

oschesar
Apr 22, 2006

Pain or damage don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen
Shiny Globule
Ok, thanks. I'll call Verizon tomorrow.

Edit: Ok, 20 minutes on the phone with a rep and it is done. Thanks everyone.

oschesar fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 23, 2013

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I'm not sure what happened when Verizon upgraded my phone lines but when they did I went from 29.99 on each line for unlimited data to 3x 24.99 charges for the unlimited data.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Keeping unlimited data seems to be back again through Verizon's site.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/24/has-the-verizon-unlimited-data-keeping-extravaganza-part-2-begun/

I was able to select it as an option to back-order an iphone 5s for my sister. Making sure to keep a copy of the order though.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Keeping unlimited data seems to be back again through Verizon's site.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/24/has-the-verizon-unlimited-data-keeping-extravaganza-part-2-begun/

I was able to select it as an option to back-order an iphone 5s for my sister. Making sure to keep a copy of the order though.

I was just about to hop in this thread to spread the news. Gotta go jump in while the loophole is open. From what I'm reading on some Android sites that it's random whether it'll show up for you. Most users seem to be able to see it.

The signs of loophole show up as (1) The site will never tell you that your unlimited plan is incompatible with your "new" plan. (2) During the order process you'll see two columns of information about your plan in which data will be identical. Also your confirmation email will make no mention of data having been modified.

I just snagged an HTC One with overnight shipping (no store-pickup option, sadly) so I'm hoping for all the best when the phone arrives.

Edit: Should I be concerned about this from my confirmation email? I've seen people post their confirmation emails and the email shows 2 columns that confirm unlimited data before/after. Mine just makes no mention of data whatsoever.

Edit 2: Before shipping my order, VZW had me sign into their website so I could electronically accept the terms & conditions. The device plan laid out had 2GB/$30 on it. I declined right then and there. gently caress everything.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 24, 2013

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Oh god I see it but too bad iPhones are backordered. I'm sure these orders would be cancelled.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Can I get out of my contract if there's an open upgrade on my account (the account has two lines, my line is still one year under contract)?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

averox posted:

Oh god I see it but too bad iPhones are backordered. I'm sure these orders would be cancelled.

You can still try to order it - I ordered an iPhone during the last website glitch and didn't have any issues beyond getting the unlimited data put back on my account after I got my phone (a 5 minute phone call).

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Augh why didn't I click on this thread at that time!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TenaciousTomato posted:

Can I get out of my contract if there's an open upgrade on my account (the account has two lines, my line is still one year under contract)?

Open upgrade does not always mean contract up. But even then, only the one that's up can leave without penalty, the other line will become the primary.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My brother's Droid X is dying (dark spots and dead pixels on the screen) and apparently we're still paying for the extended warranty. It's not from abuse and the phone is still in good cosmetic condition, is there any chance it will still be covered and would they even have a stock of old Droid X's around to replace it with?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

TenaciousTomato posted:

If you are worried, go and get a 5C and return it in 13 days... They are supposed to be in pretty heavy stock sometime next week.

GWBBQ posted:

My brother's Droid X is dying (dark spots and dead pixels on the screen) and apparently we're still paying for the extended warranty. It's not from abuse and the phone is still in good cosmetic condition, is there any chance it will still be covered and would they even have a stock of old Droid X's around to replace it with?

It should be covered, you might have to explain the spots are not due to damage... (they aren't, its very common to the X but looks a LOT like a cracked screen) Getting another Droid X ? Pretty good. It was a common phone, and parts are still out there.

You might get lucky though, its worth a phone call.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Good to know it was a common problem, definitely worth a call.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
So I woke up Tuesday morning by a phone call from my boss, as opposed to one of the roughly 15 alarms on my phone. Hung up the call, and there's a nice "Thank you for updating" dialog box, and my entire phone was wiped, save for my Google account and oddly my work wifi (but not my home wifi). The only thing I can possibly think of that could have caused this is I was rooted, but it still didn't ask for permission, unless I woke up at some point during the night, accepted it, and don't remember, which isn't entirely out of the question.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Pudgygiant posted:

So I woke up Tuesday morning by a phone call from my boss, as opposed to one of the roughly 15 alarms on my phone. Hung up the call, and there's a nice "Thank you for updating" dialog box, and my entire phone was wiped, save for my Google account and oddly my work wifi (but not my home wifi). The only thing I can possibly think of that could have caused this is I was rooted, but it still didn't ask for permission, unless I woke up at some point during the night, accepted it, and don't remember, which isn't entirely out of the question.

Do you have any enterprise software on your phone that allows someone (like an employer) to remotely wipe a device?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Yes, but I'd know about it unless I'm under investigation :ohdear:

Plus that'd be very coincidental because there WAS a gs4 update pushed on Tuesday-ish

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Hey is there any update on the Nexus 7 LTE debacle? I haven't seen anything new about it in about a month. Are they still "testing" or whatever they're claiming is the hold up? Or at this point is mobile data just not going to happen (or it will happen like a year from now so as to be moot).

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
You just need someone who has a clue and can activate you a tablet plan on a sim card, pop it in and be happy.

They still haven't "Approved" the device officially, so the IMEI isn't recognized.

brenter
Dec 15, 2004
Hey guys, whoa, big gulps huh? Alright. Well see ya later.
Is there any risk/concern with upgrading a Verizon device through Amazon Wireless or is it safest to just work through Verizon?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

brenter posted:

Is there any risk/concern with upgrading a Verizon device through Amazon Wireless or is it safest to just work through Verizon?
The only concern is that it adds an additional ETF if you deactivate the device in before some time frame. 90 or 180 days, I think? Other than that, no big deal.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

brenter posted:

Amazon will change you a separate ETF fee if you cancel within 6 months or something like that. Otherwise no. Both my parents got their phones through Amazon and couldnt be happier.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

The only concern is that it adds an additional ETF if you deactivate the device in before some time frame. 90 or 180 days, I think? Other than that, no big deal.

Not the device, the line.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

XIII posted:

Not the device, the line.

You can't downgrade service though I don't think.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

You can't downgrade service though I don't think.

Also not true. I know, because I added a line for a family member and ordered a GNex. When it came it, I activated it, then had her go in and reactivate her dumb phone and cancel the data on her line. Then I activated the GNex on my line. Had no issues.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

Yalborap posted:

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the ONLY way to keep my unlimited data when I upgrade is to:

-Upgrade someone else's phone on the same plan, then swap phones

-Buy the phone outright, then swap to it

Is that right? No other options unless I want to go down to 6 or even 2 gigs?

How does that swap work? I purposely had someone in my family plan take my upgrade, can I use their upgrade when it becomes available and somehow keep unlimited?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

According to a friend, the MAXX was $99 over the weekend at Amazon.com :argh:

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

kensei posted:

According to a friend, the MAXX was $99 over the weekend at Amazon.com :argh:

I thought this phone was a slight but worthwhile premium at $299 when I bought it. Then it became a steal at $199. Now it's a cruel joke on me at $99.

God drat it. How are sales of this phone so bad that the price has dropped down by 66% in one month? It's so good.

boozie posted:

How does that swap work? I purposely had someone in my family plan take my upgrade, can I use their upgrade when it becomes available and somehow keep unlimited?

Yes. Here's what happened; As context, my line is one of three on an old-school family share plan. Three lines; two smartphones (my GNEX, an iphone 4s), and one blackberry. My line is the only one with unlimited data, the others have the 2GB plan. I was up for an upgrade. We transferred my upgrade to the iPhone line, and cashed it in on a MAXX, activating it, and temporarily casting aside the iPhone.

So at this point, we have successfully used my line's upgrade to get a subsidized phone, and the plans have not changed. That was the tricky part. Next is the part that Verizon reps will hesitate to do for you, specifically swapping the phones between the lines. But can be done using the website on one of the consoles in-store, and they may help you with it.

We logged into our account, and used "Activate or Switch a Device" to swap my GNex for the Maxx. To accomplish this, we needed a new sim card because the sizes didn't line up. Our store rep was happy to do this. Then we activate the iPhone back on its original line, replacing the Gnex.

We then complimented the sales rep to his manager, and went our merry way.

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 28, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

bam thwok posted:

I thought this phone was a slight but worthwhile premium at $299 when I bought it. Then it became a steal at $199. Now it's a cruel joke on me at $99.

God drat it. How are sales of this phone so bad that the price has dropped down by 66% in one month? It's so good.

It's at $199 now at Amazon and BestBuy. I am waiting for Costco to drop it to $149 before I pull the trigger (they still have it at $299) :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
As someone who experiences buyers remorse on pretty much on every reasonably expensive purchase I make I don't feel bad a single bit for paying 200 bucks for the Maxx. It's that good.

• Locked thread