Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Phoenixan posted:

it's for phoning in the next windows release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

that is a loving slam dunk my friend

kudos

this is what we suit up for day in and day out fellas

keep up the good work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Phoenixan posted:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Phoenixan posted:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eq of the month here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phoenixan posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > Microsoft: Its for phoning in the next windows release

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sagebrush posted:

eq of the month here

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Phoenixan posted:

pow

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I think it's funny that folks are complaining about tablet interface in Win10 being worse than Win8. Only a handful of morons bought a windows tablet in the last 3 years and Microsoft employees who got a free Surface tablet (that they are not allowed to resell or even give away) will actually notice this.

edit: actually even MSFT employees with surface tablets won't notice this since the original surface can't be upgraded to Win10, lol.

G-III fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 26, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a stupidly pointless regression regardless of how much it's used.

they've made a bunch of design concessions to make the UI mobile friendly, then killed and pretense of it being mobile friendly but left the half-assed unsuited to a cursor driven interface in place.

it's literally the worst of both worlds

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

wait, they made the tablet ui worse? why?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

G-III posted:

the original surface can't be upgraded to Win10, lol.

an athlon x2 245 and 4 gigs of ram should run windows 10

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

though maybe you were referring to some other kind of surface?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cthulhoo posted:

because microsoft can't even commit to loving up properly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he probably means the surface rt and the surface 2

they're not porting win10 to arm because lol, gently caress you, that's why

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

they continue to labor under the delusion that the reason people didn't like Windows 8 was the Start Screen, so the Start Screen is now a terrible parody of the Start Menu and all your Metro modern immersive apps run in windows, unless you switch it to tablet mode in which case the Start Menu turns into an inferior version of the Start Screen, all the immersive modern Metro apps are fullscreen again, but the task bar sticks around for some reason.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and also your keyboard doesn't work and you can't launch anything from the desktop, but you can interact with things that are already open on the desktop

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

this sounds like a bunch of excellent ui changes, thanks

infernal machines posted:

well tbf RT being a dead platform was a very obvious thing right from the beginning

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 26, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

chaos unbridled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

well tbf RT being a dead platform was a very obvious thing right from the beginning

especially when they released the second gen versions of it a year later

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

yeah I was kinda surprised, not like they could hold any hopes at that point

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan posted:

:crafty:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

windows is garbage, microsoft make bad software, computers are poo poo.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

arent they shame

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

it's a stupidly pointless regression regardless of how much it's used.

they've made a bunch of design concessions to make the UI mobile friendly, then killed and pretense of it being mobile friendly but left the half-assed unsuited to a cursor driven interface in place.

it's literally the worst of both worlds
well that settles it then, i guess this is what it feels like to turn into one of those old dingbats still running dos to get along just fine with ansi-view word processing

you cant wilfully decide to skip two full os releases and not develop an interest in ham radio and sea captains hats

i look forward to designing myself a spiffy qsl card and storing old bits of wire in coffee cans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dehumanize yourself and face to a grey beard and suspenders

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i still cannot get over this

what the gently caress is that dialog even trying to be.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

well going and getting a list of available connections would be crazy talk

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

there's an entire panel for settings in the mail app... that has no settings, links or buttons of any kind

edit:

:stare:

shitface fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 27, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cjs: starting wiki for my imac kickstarter

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

duTrieux. posted:

chaos unbridled

lol

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

lol

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

shitface posted:

there's an entire panel for settings in the mail app... that has no settings, links or buttons of any kind

edit:

:stare:

lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

i look forward to designing myself a spiffy qsl card and storing old bits of wire in coffee cans

my qsl card looks super neat but it's not done yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

bonus: both those text links open the classic control panel because none of that functionality is in metro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

shadow puppet of a posted:

well that settles it then, i guess this is what it feels like to turn into one of those old dingbats still running dos to get along just fine with ansi-view word processing

you cant wilfully decide to skip two full os releases and not develop an interest in ham radio and sea captains hats

becoming one of those hardcore amiga fans who cling to amiga os and try to make it work in the modern world at any cost

except windows 7

• Locked thread