Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

raditts posted:

Square-Enix's porting decisions are based about as much in logic as there is effort and quality put toward the ports themselves.

Will DQ8 be the first 3DS game to not have a 3D effect at all? Just seems kinda silly to me, maybe others really don't care all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

BisterdDave posted:

Will DQ8 be the first 3DS game to not have a 3D effect at all? Just seems kinda silly to me, maybe others really don't care all that much.

That bad MH clone Final Fantasy Explorers didn't have it either IIRC. Square just doesn't really care about 3D I guess?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Off the top of my head, Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS only have 3D in battles and certain other sequences, and Pokemon Battle Trozei doesn't have it at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Theatrhythm DQ doesn't have 3D, despite the previous games having it and despite the battle perspective shifting to first-person with notes flying towards the screen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

I care so little about the 3D effect that Care Cat's care meter is pegging hard at empty!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless you're stereoblind, how can you not care about the 3d? It owns!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Looks jaggy and lovely, at least in mh4u.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Theatrhythm DQ doesn't have 3D, despite the previous games having it and despite the battle perspective shifting to first-person with notes flying towards the screen.

What the hell

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Flynn Taggart posted:

So did anybody else pick up lord of magna or is this thread too uptight for animes

I just got home with it about to fire it up. The soundtrack is beefy and it actually has a proper manual! Swanky.

Anime elf girl bowling is pretty fun. Shame it looks like rear end for a 2015 3DS game.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Lord Ephraim posted:

Anime elf girl bowling is pretty fun. Shame it looks like rear end for a 2015 3DS game.

It looks like rear end in 2d but when you crank that slider up it's gorgeous. The whole art style just pops in 3D. Been playing it all day. It's pretty good! Very story heavy. Kind of reminds me of tears to tiara II but not as depressing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I can't decide if the writing in PADZ is amazing or terribly bad. Or both. Either way, it's hilarious.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I can't decide if the writing in PADZ is amazing or terribly bad. Or both. Either way, it's hilarious.

I was lukewarm on it until the third general won me over with her roller-coaster of emotions. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lets hang out posted:

Looks jaggy and lovely, at least in mh4u.

Do you have a New 3DS? Because the 3D on the new one owns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

it's the same 3d except it realigns if you move your head

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I was lukewarm on it until the third general won me over with her roller-coaster of emotions. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I don't know if the Japanese version is the same way but it feels like the translator just went "What the gently caress is this crap?" and just bullshitted his way through the entire thing. :allears:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

it's the same 3d except it realigns if you move your head

Yes, which causes it to look a lot better because you never get out of focus ghosting

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes, which causes it to look a lot better because you never get out of focus ghosting

i wouldn't say it looks better i'd just say it's more reliable

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It makes it a million times less annoying to use but I would say MH is better with the 3D off

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There's still ghosting, and although it does better under most conditions, the camera to find your face often causes problems under certain common conditions (fluorescent lighting sometimes, shifts in light level, pointing the device in a slightly different direction with less lighting.) The thing it does is go sharply out of focus, and this is jarring to the point that I have been starting to learn when this will happen and close my eyes for a second. Not optimal, I wish it would just disable 3D for a moment when its confidence that it knows where your face is at gets really low.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I do, it looks terrible. As soon as you turn it on everything gets way jaggier to a degree that actually makes it harder to follow what's happening. doesn't the resolution like halve with the 3d on?

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

lets hang out posted:

I do, it looks terrible. As soon as you turn it on everything gets way jaggier to a degree that actually makes it harder to follow what's happening. doesn't the resolution like halve with the 3d on?

I think your system is broken

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It does halve, to 400 pixels across. If you can't notice that you have actual eye problems.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

400 pixels per eye. It evens out.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

3d actually gives a subtle anti aliasing effect so your eyes might just be broken

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

Awesome! posted:

3d actually gives a subtle anti aliasing effect so your eyes might just be broken
This, I can't play MH4U without 3D on, looks terrible without it. Also, can't even compare the 3D experience of a regular 3DS and the N3DS, that poo poo isn't even close, I had to turn it off to play on a regular 3DS. On the N3DS I only turn it off to see what a game looks like in 2D, then switch back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't play 3D games like majora or MH4u with the 3D on because they turn into jaggy messes.

Are you people blind or something?

(Yes, I have a N3DS)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it looks hella fine to me

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think monster hunter looks bad with both the 3d on and off

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
xenoblade is an objectively horrid looking game, we can all agree with that

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Everything on the 3DS looks jaggy as hell and fugly if you compare it to pretty much any modern phone or the PS Vita. It's part of the Nintendo philosophy, ugly games that look like they crawled out of the 90s with fantastic gameplay.

3D enabled or not it still looks like crap. Doesn't stop it from having tons of awesome games.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

noirstronaut posted:

xenoblade is an objectively horrid looking game, we can all agree with that

It looked bad on the Wii (unless you ran it through an emulator and cranked up the rendering resolution) and it looks worse on the 3DS.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nothing has impressed me as much graphically the latest couple of years as when I found the Graveyard Village in Bravely Default, maxed out 3D and let the camera zoom out.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

Andrast posted:

I can't play 3D games like majora or MH4u with the 3D on because they turn into jaggy messes.

(Yes, I have a N3DS)
The best kind of blind, the blind that can enjoy the 3D 100% of the time

edit: sorry about your condition

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Haha I started a fight

Mario golf has probs the best use of 3d. Those courses look real af.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone sell me on chibi robo because the lil guy looks cute as all hell and I hear that people enjoy the games but everything not-chibi robo looks ugly as poo poo and the games themselves look really really boring. I can't begin to even fake interest in the new 3DS one because the enemy design looks just as ugly as the usual CR designs.

Note that all the gameplay I've ever seen of the originals is just robo walking around cleaning messes and having to stay plugged into a wall- likewise for photo finder whose gimmick seems ultimately boring.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have eyeball problems and the glasses I need to enjoy 3D (and anything else sight-related :v:) screw up the head tracking for super-stable 3D :( Even then my depth perception is pretty wonky and 3D effects in general are pretty hit-or-miss for me.
I also can't use Magic Eyes, they look... "inverted" to me, with the background popping out and the object sinking inward. poo poo's freaky.
Generally I leave 3D off for better battery life.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone sell me on chibi robo because the lil guy looks cute as all hell and I hear that people enjoy the games but everything not-chibi robo looks ugly as poo poo and the games themselves look really really boring. I can't begin to even fake interest in the new 3DS one because the enemy design looks just as ugly as the usual CR designs.

Note that all the gameplay I've ever seen of the originals is just robo walking around cleaning messes and having to stay plugged into a wall- likewise for photo finder whose gimmick seems ultimately boring.
The new 3DS game is completely different to all the other games so whether you like or don't like the gameplay style of the original games doesn't really come into it.

The first Chibi-Robo game for Gamecube is the best Chibi-Robo game and is a really good game in it's own right. The things you mentioned like cleaning stuff up isn't really the main part of the gameplay, it's just something you do on your way to other places. The main part of the game is exploring this huge house and doing sidequests for the family that lives in the house and living toys to solve their problems. There's also a really light Metroidvania thing to it as well as when you progress through the game you get gadgets that let you access new places and you get a bigger battery so you can go places you didn't have energy to get to before.
The second Chibi-Robo game (Park Patrol for the DS) is kind of similar to the Gamecube game but it's about renovating a park instead. It's not as good since the park is basically a massive flat terrain and you only have a very small area to explore outside of the park so it doesn't really have the same kind of exploration the Gamecube game had. There are also less characters to interact with and the gameplay is more repetitive since in order to renovate the park you have to plant of lot of flowers which involves you doing the same things over and over again.
The third Chibi-Robo game also on DS is supposedly a return to the style of the Gamecube game and you are back in a house again, but it never got released outside of Japan so I don't know if it's good or not.
The fourth Chibi-Robo "game" (Photo Finder/Let's go Photo for the 3DS) is a really bad AR gimmick with a game built loosely around it. The AR is bad and doesn't work a lot of the time and the actual Chibi-Robo gameplay built around it just consists of being warped into small closed off areas where you just clean things up, and unlike the first game where that was just something you did on the side it's all you do here so it does get really boring. There are also mini-games you have to do to earn points to do the AR stuff and they are pretty bad.

The new game they've announced looks like a straight up 2D platformer with nothing in common to any of the other games outside of the character, so even though the games have been on a decline over time (excluding the Japanese only game I know nothing about) it could still end up being a really good 2D platformer but who knows.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I want the 3rd Chibi Robo game because its about the Frog girl Jenny who is now grown up and has a house and family of her own.

They could at least translate and release the wii ver of the first Chibi Robo game on Wii U VC.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 3, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Andrast posted:

(Yes, I have a N3DS)

Awesome! posted:

Your eyes are broken. I can understand people saying that 3DS looks crappy (it does), but I absolutely do not understand saying that games look better in 2D than they do in 3D. If that's the case, you are broken or it's a psychological barrier you have. Every single game I've ever played looks less jaggy in 3D than it does in 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fremry posted:

Your eyes are broken. I can understand people saying that 3DS looks crappy (it does), but I absolutely do not understand saying that games look better in 2D than they do in 3D. If that's the case, you are broken or it's a psychological barrier you have. Every single game I've ever played looks less jaggy in 3D than it does in 2D.

After a bit of googling it turns out that Majora's mask and MH4u both have anti-aliasing with the 3D disabled but that is removed when the 3D is turned on (because unsurprisingly the 3D requires more processing power).

Are you sure it's not your eyes that are broken? The aliasing in those games when you turn the 3D on is really really obvious.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 3, 2015