Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Bernie no in cali is down to 78, I assume based on the vapors of the Oregon win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Gibberish posted:

Honestly, if you didn't go for Bernie YES on Oregon, you probably should take a step back and stop using PredictIt, because you either have no idea what the political landscape in America is like or you suck at predicting. How some people thought Hillary winning by 15 based on one poll being legit is beyond me. There's really no better state for Bernie than Oregon, besides Vermont.
Earlier in the season he won another semi-closed primary by the same margin, but we should've known better --- there's really no better state for Bernie than Oklahoma.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Bernie no in cali is down to 78, I assume based on the vapors of the Oregon win.

It's been in the low 70s all week, was in the 60s last week.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

e_angst posted:

drat. Looks like the MOV might actually tip. Deschutes County flipped from a Clinton win to a Sanders win, and some other county-level results are gonna put it over the line. I'm selling at a giant loss. Go long, $650...

I felt silly cashing this out at like 47c (NO shares) but I know that if I had held, I wouldn't have sold them at yesterday's high of 90, so I'm glad I got out of this market.

EngineerSean has issued a correction as of 13:53 on May 18, 2016

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

EngineerSean posted:

It's been in the low 70s all week, was in the 60s last week.

Wow. Thats delusional, isn't it?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Wow. Thats delusional, isn't it?

I thought so

I also think these are markets that will likely trade much higher in the future

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Unless a miracle happens I'm done with PI. Been a fun ride.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

cheese eats mouse posted:

Unless a miracle happens I'm done with PI. Been a fun ride.

But how will you make back your money unless you triple down?

Almost all my money is in long term markets now because I have a tendency to try and play the market's expected plays and burning cash in the short term.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'd prefer to have my Tuesday nights back.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
OR MOV NO killed the $50 I put into PredictIt in Feb
http://gov.oregonlive.com/election/

Over 10pts now for MOV

RIP $50 lol

Throwing last $10 from selling MOV NO to CA YES on Bern lol.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 16:28 on May 18, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Ugh, gently caress this. This MoV market is too slow and I already lost some money on it last night. I'm out.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
I sold out almost everything at 20c last night, taking a decent loss on the position. If shares get down to 4/5c, I'll buy some lottery tickets. I def didn't expect Hillary to keep Multnomah tight, but when the big dump came in at 11:50 PT or whenever, and bernie had taken ~62% of the added votes (just above the required +18-20% margin range for the more liberal counties to keep it sub 10%), I knew it looked bad. Obviously prices had already knee jerk collapsed by then though

Reading the last few posts, how do other people here think about allocation? I rarely put more than ~15% of my pot into any given market until results are out and something is cruising to a win, and I push that cap up to maybe ~30% to collect bits. But that's just intuition based, and sometimes I blow through it since I have no hard rules. Do other ppl have a strategy for this?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Unless it's a really good bet, that's a nice strat to avoid getting wiped.

I put in way more than I'd normally care to invest in OR MOV NO and it wiped my gains. Back to square 1, but at least I'm not in the red.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I'm (usually) careful to limit my exposure to any one market unless it's a done-deal and I'm vacuuming up pennies. But even that strategy isn't safe

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well I killed all my KY money and then some on the MOV. Complete hubris.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vox Nihili posted:

Same!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Necc0 posted:

Yeah I'm (usually) careful to limit my exposure to any one market unless it's a done-deal and I'm vacuuming up pennies. But even that strategy isn't safe

i highly discourage this. the pennies aren't worth the nonzero risk--ever.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Abel Wingnut posted:

i highly discourage this. the pennies aren't worth the nonzero risk--ever.

It really depends. If it's literally a done deal and just waiting for someone on the other end to mash the 'CLOSE MARKET' button then it's worth it. If it's a :airquote: done deal :airquote: like Trump RNOM then no stay far far away.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

thethreeman posted:

I sold out almost everything at 20c last night, taking a decent loss on the position. If shares get down to 4/5c, I'll buy some lottery tickets. I def didn't expect Hillary to keep Multnomah tight, but when the big dump came in at 11:50 PT or whenever, and bernie had taken ~62% of the added votes (just above the required +18-20% margin range for the more liberal counties to keep it sub 10%), I knew it looked bad. Obviously prices had already knee jerk collapsed by then though

Reading the last few posts, how do other people here think about allocation? I rarely put more than ~15% of my pot into any given market until results are out and something is cruising to a win, and I push that cap up to maybe ~30% to collect bits. But that's just intuition based, and sometimes I blow through it since I have no hard rules. Do other ppl have a strategy for this?

You could just follow something like the kelly formula to size your bets but it requires you to be able to accurately handicap your chances of winning and that is really loving difficult to do in political prediction markets. Like does a +8 over 5 polls in the past two weeks translate to a 92% chance of winning? How do you price demographics?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

Yea, last night was a very hard lesson in humility. Oregon MOV was my first market to ever max out. Hell, shortly after the big up-swing I managed to cash out all some shares so that I would at least break even for the night. Then I said, no, I was gonna go big. I got out this morning, but far far too late. On final tally, I managed to turn $760 (the amount I'd deposited since last clearing my account, all played in Oregon) into a mere $145.01 (the size of the check they're mailing me now that I'm clearing my account out again).

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
As of last night when I checked, there was $3.4m traded in the Kentucky market on PredictIt

$2.3m traded in Oregon, $1.2m traded in Oregon MoV, $500k in Kentucky MoV

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Arkane posted:

As of last night when I checked, there was $3.4m traded in the Kentucky market on PredictIt

$2.3m traded in Oregon, $1.2m traded in Oregon MoV, $500k in Kentucky MoV

Yeah they're making p. good money

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Yessssssss DO IT BERNIE: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/18/bernie-sanders-kentucky-recount-oregon-trump-megyn-kelly

If I win $650 off this (with my tiny investment) I'm going to laugh my rear end off.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I'm all in on BERNIE.NO in California

<-----------------------

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I put in a buy order for Bernie NO in Cali for 72 figuring I'd get it filled eventually. It already got filled. Bernie mania lives.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I put in my sell order of Hillary in KY at .99 literally the minute the state was called for her last night. I'm still not even close to first in line and shares are currently available at .95. I hate these people.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Same but .74

Let's do this

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Aliquid posted:

I put in my sell order of Hillary in KY at .99 literally the minute the state was called for her last night. I'm still not even close to first in line and shares are currently available at .95. I hate these people.

WELCOME TO THE PAIN ZONE, FRIEND :spooky:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Necc0 posted:

WELCOME TO THE PAIN ZONE, FRIEND :spooky:

i'm a veteran of Dem Missouri

but i'm also dumb

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't wanna know if it's not but i think it's super cool that :spooky: is a secret of mana reference

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

OAquinas posted:

You can make a quick 10% by buying B5 NO in the Trump/Clinton poll. She's currently at +5.7, so it would take apocalyptic overnight poll numbers to sink that in 47 hours.

Though don't bet on polls.

lol

edit: I bought some B5 NO's at 5c as a lottery ticket though.

edit2: don't bet on polls.

EngineerSean has issued a correction as of 14:34 on May 19, 2016

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Welp!

That's what I get for betting against Lord President Trump.

Edit: and those polls were pretty damned apocalyptic. I love the Trump +5 one...with 21% undecided.

OAquinas has issued a correction as of 17:26 on May 19, 2016

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist > just ctrl-F "marx" and get ready to have your mind blown > PredictIt : Don't Bet On Polls

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

chuck grassley re-election is below 80 for some reason :psyduck:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Joe Biden apparently has a higher chance to win the presidency (7%) than he does to win the Democratic nomination (6%). I'm not saying you should bet on these, I just thought it was funny.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

so what you're saying is we need a BIDEN.3RDPARTY.YES to bid on, then?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm bettin' on some polls!!!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
No! Don't!!!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vox Nihili posted: