Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Like, I get it. Your gimmick is you say true things and then you say repugnant moral statements so you're Fulchrum But With Truth.

The problem is with your premise. Fulchrum isn't Fulchrum because they're lying. They're Fulchrum because they say in dead set seriousness "TWO PLUS TWO EQUALS FORTY-SEVEN, AND IF YOU THINK ITS FOUR OR FIVE OR THREE YOU'RE RACIST poo poo WELL DONE BERNIBROS GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR ARITHMETICAL PURITY TESTS"

That you don't realize the antidote to this is: being a normal person; this is troubling. This indicates to me you're educated enough to learn yourself into trouble but not enough to teach yourself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Where is TobelroneTriangular in our hour of need?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Reality literally outpaced him. He said as much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Literally the best thing Democrats can come up with is 'desperately throw money to businesses to maybe train workers if they want'.

It's like both sides think Shadowrun is the model government they want.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Inescapable Duck posted:

Literally the best thing Democrats can come up with is 'desperately throw money to businesses to maybe train workers if they want'.

their plan is warmed over reaganomics

tax cuts for big business will revive our economy!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inescapable Duck posted:

They will keep breaking up their own country for scrap until they inadvertently scrap the spot they stand on.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sneakster posted:

I'll still be in America in spirit. By which I mean shielding all my assets in phony legal-minimum charitable foundation that reduces my taxable income by half and allow capital gains free investment in high risk international ventures that are transparent respectable-people laundering schemes that tax accountants literally advertise as the most blatant somehow legal yet clearly fraudulent tax dodge imaginable.

I'll even donate to the national association of hetero-flexible coke addled Manhattan bankers, I want America to be a successful business, a lean, mean, union-free socially inclusive machine. I'll even get my friends to donate and offer investment opportunities. Don't you worry about where the party funds come from, let me worry about blank.

It's always the assholes with the complicated tax dodges that cry the biggest crocodile tears about Trump's "social norms" and decorum, wonder why that is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

call to action posted:

It's always the assholes with the complicated tax dodges that cry the biggest crocodile tears about Trump's "social norms" and decorum, wonder why that is

Respectability instead of substance has been the centrist philosophy for years, and is why the Democrats are the only ones who care about Russia and think Hillary is electable.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Every early runner on this Big Plan today smells of the revisionist history where they want something to bandy about like The Most Progressive Platform Ever while curiously* omitting the acrimonious brawl that was it being argued down to the present state by the establishment hardliners and no doubt a sea of asterisks being written in invisible ink next to what relative few things the Sanders folk were able to just barely drag onto it.

There's this incredible streak of smug self-assuredness that things, and people, will just fall in roughly line under the money trees so long as they whisper a few mangled Secret Words in this era of dog whistles blowing people's speakers out.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

cannot wait for the DNC's mixtape to drop

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ezralevin/status/889483113881100288

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Neither Better Nor A Deal

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Better Deal" in and of itself, could have been a fine slogan if you tied it back to the New Deal.

But doing the Papa John's thing with the subtitle part of it...woof.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be honest, I don't think single payer is a sufficient platform.

Most people don't have problems with medical bills, and the mere leave of mind from single payer isn't going to materially affect the paycheck-to-paycheck life that people lead

I'm not saying don't do it, but man it's like 5% of the problem and it's getting way more focus than poo poo like "capitalism sucks"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Most people don't have problems with medical bills, and the mere leave of mind from single payer isn't going to materially affect the paycheck-to-paycheck life that people lead

Are you loving kidding me with this? Medical debt is a major reason for bankruptcy in America.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

:prepop:

you're loving kidding right? have you ever gone any amount of time without health insurance WJ?

what about all the people working min wage jobs with kids? how are they supposed to afford treatment in todays system if their kids get sick?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You want a better deal? Guess you need somebody who has mastered the deal, an artist, so to speak

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Are you loving kidding me with this? Medical debt is a major reason for bankruptcy in America.

2 million households living with medical bankruptcy in a country of 350 million is what I'm talking about

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

2 million households living with medical bankruptcy in a country of 350 million is what I'm talking about

a lot of which had insurance wj....

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So gently caress those people and gently caress anyone else struggling with medical bills?

You sure you in the right thread, mate?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If nobody really cares about healthcare... what do people care about?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Absolutely do single payer for the 25% of Americans who say they struggle with medical bills, but realize that you're not addressing what the other 75% say they're struggling with

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

a lot of which had insurance wj....

also bankruptcy is the worst case of medical debt. half a percentage point of houses in the us facing it is pretty high and indicates theres a lot more facing the lesser cases of medical debt (like crushing poverty)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

If nobody really cares about healthcare... what do people care about?

Rent, wages, free time, generalized dignity in the workplace...

Like I'm just saying that a single payer platform isn't populist enough

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sneakster posted:

How do we primary Schumer and Pelosi?

The problem isn't Schumer and Pelosi. This policy was hashed out by a number of Congressional Dems (as well as a small army of consultants), they're just the public face of it. To fix it, we've got to primary a lot more than just those two.

WampaLord posted:

"Better Deal" in and of itself, could have been a fine slogan if you tied it back to the New Deal.

But doing the Papa John's thing with the subtitle part of it...woof.

Nah, New Deal knockoffs rarely play well

Carter's "Fair Deal" wasn't particularly memorable

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, maybe if you are struggling with mortgage payments, if I can help you reduce your insurance spending, you will have an easier time paying your other bills???

Expenses are not discrete procedures, they are part of the same equation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Absolutely do single payer for the 25% of Americans who say they struggle with medical bills, but realize that you're not addressing what the other 75% say they're struggling with

yes you are. they no longer have to worry about losing coverage cause they lost their job, or they switched employers, or they want to start a business. this helps small business owners too by making them pay less to insure their employees (via taxes) than larger corps do. the current system has that switched around making it harder for those middle class entrepreneurs you want to pretend exist actually start jobs.

but why am i having to tell you democratic talking points when you're a dem. or at least you say you are but then you spout means testing and republican propaganda

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Jesus Christ, WJ.

Don't you think any of those 75% might be uninsured, or paying crazy high premiums and could also benefit from single payer?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Rent, wages, free time, generalized dignity in the workplace...

Like I'm just saying that a single payer platform isn't populist enough

it's way better than what we've been offered so far, which is trickle-down welfare

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Again, I supported Hillary not out of any affinity with her platform but out of an ethos of democratic centralism.

My criticism here is to say that listening to the Sanders wing, you'd think that if we had single payer and free college, we wouldn't have people living in the economic conditions they face - that it would attract both the white working class that the Democrats have hemorrhaged over the past half-century and also disaffected non-voters.

I think the pocketbook effects are overstated

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Jesus Christ, WJ.

Don't you think any of those 75% might be uninsured, or paying crazy high premiums and could also benefit from single payer?

No? 50% are employer-covered and don't see the premiums, 35% are Medicare/Medicaid

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

No? 50% are employer-covered and don't see the premiums

:psyduck:

You see the premiums being taken out of every paycheck, what the gently caress are you talking about?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Healthcare isn't an immediate concern unless you are sick. Then it is the highest concern. Most people have memories longer than 24 hours so they remember what it was like when they didn't have healthcare or couldn't afford the bills or the last time they were on death's door or their parents got sick or their friends went bankrupt or.....

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

:psyduck:

You see the premiums being taken out of every paycheck, what the gently caress are you talking about?

It's deducted before you see it in your bank account, and is as much a part of household budgeting as thinking about tax withholding

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's deducted before you see it in your bank account, and is as much a part of household budgeting as thinking about tax withholding

Do you really think that people don't know how much they're paying for their premiums? At most places I've worked, you have to renew it every year and you see the prices when you renew, so you get a nice yearly reminder in addition to the reminder you get every paycheck.

Why are people complaining about rising premiums if they don't actually matter at all? Is it because they do matter and you're just insulated from the problem cause you're well off?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Again, I supported Hillary not out of any affinity with her platform but out of an ethos of democratic centralism.

My criticism here is to say that listening to the Sanders wing, you'd think that if we had single payer and free college, we wouldn't have people living in the economic conditions they face - that it would attract both the white working class that the Democrats have hemorrhaged over the past half-century and also disaffected non-voters.

I think the pocketbook effects are overstated

are you kidding? bernie had a platform way beyond healthcare and education. those are two major pain points right now though. everyone who's not rich is having trouble with healthcare costs and education costs. they're ridiculous. there are many other things that need fixing like minimum wage, labor abuse needs to be cracked down on hard, collusion between companies etc. etc. etc.

but you can't just loving post a pdf of demands every time you want to send a message to someone. free healthcare can fit on a sign. free college can fit on a sign. free healthcare plus more regulations plus breaking up the big banks plus beefing up the DoL plus ... doesn't fit that well

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 24, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The idea that universal healthcare is unworkable or bad really flies in the face of the evidence from EVERY OTHER FIRST WORLD COUNTRY that does it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

are you kidding? bernie had a platform way beyond healthcare and education. those are two major pain points right now though. everyone who's not rich is having trouble with healthcare costs and education costs. they're ridiculous.

I'm fine with starting there, but I've heard and continue to hear people suggest that it's an end not a beginning and that makes me really question where their heads are at

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spuckuk posted:

The idea that universal healthcare is unworkable or bad really flies in the face of the evidence from EVERY OTHER FIRST WORLD COUNTRY that does it.

The idea that universal healthcare solves the pocketbook issues facing Americans flies in the face of the evidence from etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Hm, maybe if you are struggling with mortgage payments, if I can help you reduce your insurance spending, you will have an easier time paying your other bills???

Expenses are not discrete procedures, they are part of the same equation.

19.4 million people were under 50 percent of the poverty line in 2015. Not "under the poverty line", but under half the poverty line. Maybe fixing that would help people struggling with both medical bills and mortgage payments? :shrug:

• Locked thread