Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Gridlocked posted:

Those cat ears better double as speakers that you can toggle on or I will be really disappointed in a missed opportunity.

Of course they are speakers, how else would you be able to torture people with the theme to your favorite anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm expecting the number of beatings on public transport to rise sharply once this product hits the market.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

I was gonna post that...

I want to donate a kick to his boney rear end and spit in his eye.

Don't forget to kick sand in his face and flex your muscles when you're done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm expecting the number of beatings on public transport to rise sharply once this product hits the market.

Well, at least the increase in violent crime will be going to the people most deserving of it.

Regarding the loving Terrible Cat Game: at the present rate of increase, within the next few hours it will become the single most funded Tabletop Game project in the history of Kickstarter. Kill the world.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Well, at least the increase in violent crime will be going to the people most deserving of it.

Regarding the loving Terrible Cat Game: at the present rate of increase, within the next few hours it will become the single most funded Tabletop Game project in the history of Kickstarter. Kill the world.

I just love how it's making everyone get bent out of shape in this thread :buddy:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

It's already the 21st most funded Kickstarter project of any type and it'll probably jump at least 5 or 6 places by this time tomorrow. They've raised nearly a third what OUYA raised and more than a quarter what the Pebble Watch raised and they've only been going for 3 days.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I don't really get the anger. I mean sure the game seems to be lolrandom: The card game, and I have really enjoyed the oatmeal before and would hope for something more clever but the rage on hand is a bit weird. Like people are the same level of mad as they were for those anime tentacle rape games that's just insane.

I'm not surprised it is so popular. The Oatmeal is extremely popular, there isn't a day that passes where a post from his site isn't linked on someone Facebook and the books are all over stores. You couple all of that with the fact that kickstarter loves board games and the actual item reward tier is under $30 I'd say it's built to be popular, though it trending towards 29 million is a bit insane.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
:laffo: Someone unironically enjoys Oatmeal.

Speaking of cats and comics...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1331689924/angsty-cat-comics

quote:

Risks and challenges

The Main risk with a Project like this is, gaining readership and being able to make a profit. but we confidant in our ability to gain readers with the artwork by Beth and the story-line by by Ian. and if we are to fail, then we tried our best and we are sorry.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
why am I not surprised that Oatmeal fans can't wrap their brains around people making fun of a bad kickstarter in the "make fun of bad kickstarters" thread without a 20 page comic explaining it

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I get not liking it, it's boring and easy jokes. But man the vitriol that people have is just strange. People hate this more than a hipster asking for money to creep on girls.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no a stupid 20$ board game, here are 3 paragraphs of me being offended

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Optimist with doubt posted:

I don't really get the anger. I mean sure the game seems to be lolrandom: The card game, and I have really enjoyed the oatmeal before and would hope for something more clever but the rage on hand is a bit weird. Like people are the same level of mad as they were for those anime tentacle rape games that's just insane.

I'm not angry. I just find it depressing that these lazy pricks have made more money in 48 hours than anyone who put in the work to at least attempt a game managed to make in their entire project cycle. I mean, Zombicide isn't a great game and it got most of its money because zombies sell, but at least they tried.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Optimist with doubt posted:

I get not liking it, it's boring and easy jokes. But man the vitriol that people have is just strange. People hate this more than a hipster asking for money to creep on girls.

It's a few things, but maybe most importantly the hipster creeping on girls isn't getting plastered all over social media and the news as some incredible product.

The game is really not inherently that offensive, it's just the way in which it's all done - they repainted russian roulette and called it "highly strategic". They're taking a game designed by a game marketer and illustrated by one of the most popular people on the internet and then acting surprised that they've managed to sell it. They're the game equivalent of snake oil salesmen and outside of very small circles everyone seems happy to pretend the emperor has clothes on, it's just sad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bubble-T posted:

It's a few things, but maybe most importantly the hipster creeping on girls isn't getting plastered all over social media and the news as some incredible product.

The game is really not inherently that offensive, it's just the way in which it's all done - they repainted russian roulette and called it "highly strategic". They're taking a game designed by a game marketer and illustrated by one of the most popular people on the internet and then acting surprised that they've managed to sell it. They're the game equivalent of snake oil salesmen and outside of very small circles everyone seems happy to pretend the emperor has clothes on, it's just sad.

Oh, I agree it's a poo poo game. And maybe they are the "equivalent of snake oil salesman". However this?

Bubble-T posted:

..outside of very small circles everyone seems happy to pretend the emperor has clothes on, it's just sad.

Really, I'd say it's more like everyone outside of a small circle gives zero shits. Except for being amused at the people getting all angry that they're making money with this "game". And the people getting angry at the people who are angry at the game makers. It's an ouroboros of amusement for the rest of us.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Oh man, the first update:
"Death: Grace City, its a funny name really, all of the so called "grace" died long ago. The grace they spoke of was the hope and values of the people in the city, this was the city's life force...it's blood. That blood was tainted by crime and corruption. It's like a cancer...the only way to get better is to fight. You have to fight dirty...be willing to improvise and think outside the rules. Cancer won't follow the rules when it attacks you...likewise criminals do not follow the rules when they infect a city...." this is just a taste of whats to come. Let me know what you think and remember that this is subject to change in the future.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

flosofl posted:

Really, I'd say it's more like everyone outside of a small circle gives zero shits. Except for being amused at the people getting all angry that they're making money with this "game". And the people getting angry at the people who are angry at the game makers. It's an ouroboros of amusement for the rest of us.

Yeah, yeah, first world problems lets all post about real issues in the awful kickstarters thread

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
edit: Somehow had this and Schrödinger’s Cats, a different card game with cats, mixed into one project in my head. A lot less confused now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's a really low effort project and it's going to be one of the most successful crowdfunding projects ever. I'm happy for those guys but can you imagine the absolute tsunami of godawful copycat projects this is going to inspire? They've already raised over 50 times what that potato salad guy raised.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I want the dumb cat game to make even more money because it's hilarious how offended some people are that a poo poo thing is popular instead of whatever poo poo thing they like.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Wow a lot of people like the oatmeal in this thread.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TetsuoTW posted:

I want the dumb cat game to make even more money because it's hilarious how offended some people are that a poo poo thing is popular instead of whatever poo poo thing they like.

the string of "u mad" posts from people white-knighting the millionaire SEO cartoon man is much funnier imho

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Aha, see, I'm much cleverer than everyone on the other side of the argument. The reason is because I support the side that's much better than the other. Lol @ you ducking nerds on the other side of the argument.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Aha, see, I'm much cleverer than everyone on the other side of the argument. The reason is because I support the side that's much better than the other. Lol @ you ducking nerds on the other side of the argument.

Finally someone I can agree with!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Peanut President posted:

Finally someone I can agree with!

Look at how wrong this guy is

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Actually the opposite reading is true.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Oatmeal cat thing did a shoutout to a kickstarter I do care about, Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong, so they're ok in my book. :shobon:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I can't decide if I should be jealous at the man who cynically lol monkeycheese narwhaled his way into millions, or laugh at the goons who are, so instead here's a normal type doomed to failure kickstarter:

quote:

Z-Tag is played very simply each player is given a wrist band indicator one person is chosen to be "it" randomly by the game system then the game will begin to count down and the green light will light up indicating the game has started "it" will then run around chasing other players if the yellow light is flashing on the wrist band indicator and the left right indicators that means somebody has made it safely to base, when "it" tags a player that player must then run back to base and scan their wrist band indicator and press your it then that person must assist "it" in chasing and tagging other players eveytime a player is tagged they must return to base and scan in they will then assist " IT " until every player is tagged, When the game is finished the red light will light up showing the game is over and the top 3 players will be displayed on the board.

Risks and challenges

The main challenges with this product will be finding sombody to make and produce it also to manufacturer it but its to be expected nothing is easy but im a hard worker and very determind person any obstacles i come across i will overcome if you want something you have to work hard to achieve your goals im ready to put in the work and exceed my expectations for this product

I don't understand why we need his gadget to play the tag variant this determind person has just described.

Of course there is one reward tier which does not include the wristband tag gadget (of which he has no prototype to show), instead there are 20 total t-shirts available at $10 each to get him to his $30,000 goal. I'm not sure the math checks out. :downs:

Owlbear Camus has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Jan 23, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
The game wouldn't be that bad if you removed all the Oatmeal elements of it and just played Uno or something.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Syrinxx posted:

Look at how wrong this guy is

I am incredibly angry at you for this post and I demand that you and I get into a lengthy argument about in which I continue to say "I'm done after this," before each post.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Stupid goon argument ITT. How about we go back to making fun of awful kickstarters instead of pissing at each other because another successful Webcomic managed to raise millions via Kickstarter. It's not like they were the first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stupid goon argument ITT. How about we go back to making fun of awful kickstarters instead of pissing at each other because another successful Webcomic managed to raise millions via Kickstarter. It's not like they were the first.

Where's the Homestuck game, Hussie? I will be very pleased if it was just him scamming millions out of people who spit in buckets in public.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not only would that be a totally superfluous option that is the complete opposite to the intended function of headphones it would also be incredibly obnoxious and would be guaranteed to enrage pretty much anyone else within earshot in any situation where you'd wear earphones. So to answer your question: yes, of course the ears turn into external speakers.

Well I for one only use headphones nowadays and don't even own speakers anymore for my PC. Having a out of the way set of speakers built into my headphones would be useful for those "Oh hey come check out this funny thing" moments; because that would save on space, cables and I wouldn't have to turn my headphones up stupidly loud so we could watch together while they sit on the desk.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I'd like headphones that could double as speakers myself, but only to play music for Lumpee without having to go downstairs and use those lovely ones and leave my own PC.

I don't want it enough to pay a shitload of money though.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Remember that Battle-armor Barbie Kickstarter from a few months ago? Well, its creator has returned with a follow up project that is every bit as crazy as the original. I don't see why anyone would buy the product, but at least he sells something unique and his presentation is entertaining. That doesn't apply for these products:

The Rouncher, a unique and revolutionary new kitchen appliance for slicing and dicing various fruits and vegetables that in no shape or form already exists.

The Brand Deck, a card game that helps you 'define yourself', whatever that's supposed to mean. In his video he explains the game in its entirety. You have 100 cards with descriptive terms written on one side, and the opposite of that term on the other. You're supposed to find out which terms apply to yourself. That's all. Why you need a $35 set of cards to do that is anyone's guess.

quote:

Updated Rewards: We've decided to offer a Not Safe for Work Edition. Same concept but full of awful words you would never want to self imply. We're teaming up with the guy who knows horrible best, Max Temkin, the co-creator of Cards Against Humanity. Surely you can use your imagination as to what will be inside this deck.

Don't become a victim of online scams, buy scam-insurance from me, a random guy on the Internet begging for money on Kickstarter.

Kim Kardashian, the self-indulgent bitch, is going to release a picture book of herself this May, and she's got the NERVE to make a profit off of it. Send me 120GBP and a picture of yourself and I will include you in MY book that will be in shops everywhere this May.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zybourne Clock posted:

The Brand Deck, a card game that helps you 'define yourself', whatever that's supposed to mean. In his video he explains the game in its entirety. You have 100 cards with descriptive terms written on one side, and the opposite of that term on the other. You're supposed to find out which terms apply to yourself. That's all. Why you need a $35 set of cards to do that is anyone's guess.

An unnecessary job-related pseudo-gamification more boring than SCRUM poker. Nice. I'm sure all HR people I know would ask the company to cover buying this as business expenses.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zybourne Clock posted:

Kim Kardashian, the self-indulgent bitch, is going to release a picture book of herself this May, and she's got the NERVE to make a profit off of it. Send me 120GBP and a picture of yourself and I will include you in MY book that will be in shops everywhere this May.

quote:

My dissertation was 10,000 words with an appendix and bibliography that was even larger, so I am used to handling BIG pieces of writing.

"My IQ is xxx, it's A LOT"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Isn't 10,000 words really really short for a dissertation?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Germstore posted:

Isn't 10,000 words really really short for a dissertation?

Ridiculously short. 10,000 words is a bit over the limit for what we assign our (Masters-level) students as final papers on a single reading course; it is the lower limit for what we accept from our students' bachelor theses. For dissertations, 10k words is about what you'd expect from a single chapter, and there would probably be somewhere around 8 of them.

Granted, this is in social science, and I know that some natural science and engineering theses (and papers) are far shorter since they can essentially amount to a massive amount of data in a compressed presentation, but still… yes.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The marketing and production of the book itself will be supported by my dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Tippis posted:

Ridiculously short. 10,000 words is a bit over the limit for what we assign our (Masters-level) students as final papers on a single reading course; it is the lower limit for what we accept from our students' bachelor theses. For dissertations, 10k words is about what you'd expect from a single chapter, and there would probably be somewhere around 8 of them.

Granted, this is in social science, and I know that some natural science and engineering theses (and papers) are far shorter since they can essentially amount to a massive amount of data in a compressed presentation, but still… yes.

My masters was 15,000 (10% either way)Kings collage london on a war studies. So 10k is within an expected length for a diss in the uk(besides when doing a diss keeping it in the word count is far greater than getting it to the count as least for me and my mates)