Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Hello! I just got caught up on Ultimates 2.

Please consider giving Ultimates 2 a chance! I'm glued to every page of this thing.

The current book or the horrifying 2005 book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wonder what was going through Mark Millar's mind when he wrote: "And then Hawkeye killed everybody in the room with his fingernails"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roth posted:

I wonder what was going through Mark Millar's mind when he wrote: "And then Hawkeye killed everybody in the room with his fingernails"

"nailed it"

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Roth posted:

"I am gonna get such a paycheck when they adapt this into a movie"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Boooooooooooooo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

"£££!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Synthbuttrange posted:

The current book or the horrifying 2005 book?

Obviously the current book.

The two trades of Ultimates (2015) are on sale as part of the wider America Chavez sale.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so I've been pretty slow on reading last week's books but I just finished occupy and I'm glad Walker is bringing Tilda from nighthawk so she can get some screen time

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
America #1 was pretty good, primarily just set up but still had fun. Unstoppable Wasp continues to be great.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I liked what America was setting up for, though a few points seemed to fall flat. Also that last page seemed like nothing more a forced attempt to be relevant with current events.
Either way it's still a fun book and I'm sure most of my issues with it will be ironed out after the next issue or so.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
America
Chavez
coming again, to save the motherfuckin day yeah

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
boy I don't know how anyone can say mark waid is out of touch when he just introduced a supervillain named "hotness"!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She's the new hotness.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

She's the new hotness.

it's a dude and he literally looks like thin guy fieri

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Huh, I would have figured what with the name and being a comic book villain that they'd be a sexylady.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blockhouse posted:

it's a dude and he literally looks like thin guy fieri

We finally get true cheesecake in Marvel.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, I'm done with Champions. Or at least till they get someone else to write it because holy gently caress, Waid's unbearable on it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I'm done with Champions. Or at least till they get someone else to write it because holy gently caress, Waid's unbearable on it.

It's fun that the series set up to tackle real world problems with moral gray areas has so far only been able to say "sex trafficking, terrorism, and racism are bad." And the first actual enemies they have just straight up torture two homeless people for no reason. Real tough moral quandries in this book.

Also, why did the villains set up the Champions at the end? They never said anything about disliking them, and we never see them being hired to do it. Between that and "we've gone viral, we're lit!" I can't take the douche chills of this book anymore.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I had kind of a bad week at Marvel. America kind of sucked, because it abandons a lot of previous characterization for its protagonist in favor of what felt like a surprisingly generic story; Champions is getting on my last nerve; and Silk was basically a filler issue.

Hawkeye was all right, though; I enjoyed how Kate beat a guy by taking him to a drive-in showing The Sound of Music.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anime_Otaku posted:

Unstoppable Wasp continues to be great.

she also recruited janelle monae today, owns

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Whelp, average week in Marvel. Wasp and Moon Knight remain perfect, Champions remains unreadable, and Slapstick continues to be surprisingly better than it has any right to be.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't get over how bad Kamala is in Champions. She's like a white liberal dude twitter account that talks about nothing but barely understood social issues in a clumsy, sweeping, ham-handed way with no ability for self-reflection and a constant nagging of everyone around her. She lectures constantly and sounds nothing like a teenager, an actual marginalized person, or a human being period.

And bizarrely the book reads like the rest of the cast can't stand her either but then they continue to let her be the leader anyway because...ehhhh?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Mark Waid wants to do good, but as a white dude trapped in the Silver Age, he should have agreed to co-write it with a younger talent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

Mark Waid wants to do good, but as a white dude trapped in the Silver Age, he should have agreed to co-write it with a younger talent.

Or to not write it at all.

edit: FOR gently caress'S SAKE.

The rumor guy is currently claiming that the first arc of the upcoming new GOTG series will explore "THE TRUE ORIGIN OF PETER QUILL AND HIS TRUE HERITAGE."

gently caress rear end drat COCK MARVEL NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE FILMS

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 2, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The next page with the call is even better.

Rhyno posted:

The rumor guy is currently claiming that the first arc of the upcoming new GOTG series will explore "THE TRUE ORIGIN OF PETER QUILL AND HIS TRUE HERITAGE."

gently caress rear end drat COCK MARVEL NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE FILMS

You're way late on this. They did the film sorta tie-in origin in the Star-Lord solo series a while back with him being with the Ravagers. And it was much better than all the Marvel Premiere stuff from early in the Star-Lord character's history. None of that stuff really gels well at all with Peter as even he appeared in the Abnett and Lanning run. I mean go back and look at how he was portrayed in the first Thanos solo book where he was brought back from obscurity. It's nothing like he was even a year or two later. All these changes have been for the better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are implying that he's now going to be the son of Ego in the comics as well as the film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have to admit, I lol'd a lot at Nova telling Cyke "Your peripheral vision sucks!" and Cyke going "I know that!"

But yeah, holy fcuk, the second portion of the story after the paintball fight was incomprehensible gibberish.

Is this seriously the same guy who wrote the awesome Daredevil run not even that long ago?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

They are implying that he's now going to be the son of Ego in the comics as well as the film.

Well if that's the case then how is Ego not an immense upgrade over J'Son of Spartax? I mean nobody likes J'Son of Spartax. He's always the worst part of every story he's involved in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

The next page with the call is even better.

i considered it but wasnt sure if that was gonna be too much

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Or to not write it at all.

edit: FOR gently caress'S SAKE.

Why didn't they just reboot after Secret Wars and make everyone like the film versions? That's what I would have done and its way more elegant than whatever the gently caress they keep doing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr President posted:

Why didn't they just reboot after Secret Wars and make everyone gay? That's what I would have done and its way more elegant than whatever the gently caress they keep doing

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Maybe Marvel have a weird bee in their bonnet about starting over like that, like it's always been a sign of DC's failure or whatever. I remember reading years ago - round about Crisis or something - someone asked a panel at a con about rebooting/revamping everything in a similar fashion and Jim Shooter straight up said that Marvel didn't need to because they get things right the first time. Given how things have gone since, one starts to wonder if perhaps it's etched in stone on the wall of the EiC's office or something.

Who so ever holds this office, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Editor in Chief. But no loving from-scratch reboots ever, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sentinel Red posted:

Maybe Marvel have a weird bee in their bonnet about starting over like that, like it's always been a sign of DC's failure or whatever. I remember reading years ago - round about Crisis or something - someone asked a panel at a con about rebooting/revamping everything in a similar fashion and Jim Shooter straight up said that Marvel didn't need to because they get things right the first time. Given how things have gone since, one starts to wonder if perhaps it's etched in stone on the wall of the EiC's office or something.

Who so ever holds this office, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Editor in Chief. But no loving from-scratch reboots ever, right?

God, I hope so.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sentinel Red posted:

I agree with no reboots but not for that dumb reason, though I respect an EIC standing up for the stories and creators that came before.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
I can really appreciate the Claremontian pace of America #1. That's neat, I enjoy that. I can't really get over the issue's non-ending and the dialogue, though.

VVVVV Yeah, the SIEGE miniseries is excellent. Lots of cool moments with Brand and neat alternative dimension concepts thrown around with all the different characters.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 2, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I read Siege: Battleworld from the AMERICA sale and it was excellent. Easily one of the best Secret Wars minis I've read.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

I feel like she needs another motormouth to bounce off of. Wasp + Iceman might be pretty good.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Is this seriously the same guy who wrote the awesome Daredevil run not even that long ago?

It's also the same guy that's writing the really great Black Widow that is ending soon. :saddowns:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love the art in The Wasp so much. I just wish I didn't find the writing so obnoxious :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fadam posted:

I love the art in The Wasp so much. I just wish I didn't find the writing so obnoxious :(

It's like we're talking about Squirrel Girl but in the Mirror Universe.

• Locked thread