Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

Wow, how's retirement treating you?

get off my lawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

:golfclap:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah but I think we can be fair to our mod and go with the actual named product release.

You've got approximately two years IE, make the most of them.

Microsoft might not support IE anymore, but I do

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Suddenly got a flashback to working at IBM shortly after 2000 and they were still using a token ring network in their offices.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

that's because tehinternet runs best on IE

https://i.imgur.com/U5NIIY5.gifv

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

SlowBloke posted:

If you heavily rely on teams live event, Microsoft has decided to kill it, starting next October. The replacement (Town Hall) is bound to only certain types of licenses so you might want to check if your usual organizers for big events fit.

If I had a dollar every time Microsoft inconvenienced me with their licensing system I could buy the fuckin' company

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

If you heavily rely on teams live event, Microsoft has decided to kill it, starting next October. The replacement (Town Hall) is bound to only certain types of licenses so you might want to check if your usual organizers for big events fit.

Speaking of Town Hall.

We had/attempted to have our quarterly IT town hall today, approx 1300 people. I don't know if it was our infrastructure or Town Hall in general but it choked so hard on it most people left the meeting because the audio/video was either constantly buffering/out of sync/or just frozen completely.

It was glorious lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

If I had a dollar every time Microsoft inconvenienced me with their licensing system I could buy the fuckin' company

I especially hate that when they rename or redesign their ui youll still find years later the official documentation you need to figure something else will reference names and places that no longer exist

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmno: Recruiters are morons;

My experience with recruiters when trying to break back into IT space this year is that they only care at all about you if you already have the work experience that would let you land a job entirely without their help.

And all the recruiting companies I've seen have awful reviews by both recruited people and the companies that use them for staffing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Robert Half ughhhhh

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a recruiter get mad because I applied for a bunch of jobs directly instead of through him.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So how's everyones RTO going :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Been there the entire time man (1 day per week WFH).

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

cr0y posted:

They tried to make me RTO in 2021.

So I quit and found another job entirely.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GreenNight posted:

Been there the entire time man (1 day per week WFH).

I get two days and it’s the first time I’ve ever gotten wfh so I was happy with it.

Now I’ve gotten used to this though so I’m probably going to leave once I have enough experience for a place which isn’t half an hour away

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Literally just got a text from a "Virtual Recruiter". Are they so loving lazy that they have bots doing cold calls now??

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Run into the stuff where for a job application you have to sit in front of your webcam and pitch yourself/answer questions and then send that video off into the black box void that is job applications?

I never have and wouldn't do those. Dystopian rear end poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I just had a Teams meeting with someone using one of those ~*AI*~ eye contact filter things and it looked so amazingly weird

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

that's because tehinternet runs best on IE

https://i.imgur.com/U5NIIY5.gifv

*waggles eyebrows into stratosphere*

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vampire Panties posted:

:same: but also :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A major, major, major household name migrated from Lotus Notes to Gsuite in TYOOL 2019

Sounds like a downgrade

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Vampire Panties posted:

:same: but also :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A major, major, major household name migrated from Lotus Notes to Gsuite in TYOOL 2019

Off the top of my head, NiSource (just outside the F500), parts of Honda America, and a really recognizable clothing retailer are still using Lotus Notes. Discover Financial was still using it in 2016. IBM is a loving cockroach

Edit: to be clear it isn’t all email necessarily I can’t remember who did what with it except Discover was all in.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 29, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

cr0y posted:

My company knows if they ever do it they're hosed. We can barely hold onto the staff we have. I mean even CTOs are randomly quitting :rolleyes:

That said I think we peaked at 4 people including myself in the office today. Built this for 200+ with a 10 year lease lol. Oh well, more beer for me.

(I personally really like going to the office ... beautiful bike ride in, like having the separation between home & work, better groceries available by the office and on the way home.)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lazyboy and Sherwin Williams were on Notes until recently. Maybe lazyboy still is?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Justin Credible posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been more EEO lawsuits over those things, given that the only way interviewers would save any time is by not listening to what the candidate has to say

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Organic Lube User posted:

Suddenly got a flashback to working at IBM shortly after 2000 and they were still using a token ring network in their offices.

i interned at hewlett-packard in high school (the oscilloscope and instrument division, a few years before :mad: Carly :mad: shuttered the local plants and shipped everything to China) and they were 10baseT on token ring, but were upgrading to Novell 3.x

:lol: my first CCNA exam was like 50% token ring and hub-vs-switch bullshit

Justin Credible posted:

Run into the stuff where for a job application you have to sit in front of your webcam and pitch yourself/answer questions and then send that video off into the black box void that is job applications?

:same: I had a good screening call for an interesting tech support position and they wanted me to do that and I noped right out entirely. I don't want to work for a company that hires people from their tight 5 pitch

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
the video application stuff is stupid but I've gotten pretty killer jobs outta them

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been more EEO lawsuits over those things, given that the only way interviewers would save any time is by not listening to what the candidate has to say

given my experience with voice recognition software dying the moment an accent or speech impediment shows up you could probably make a case on that alone

if, you know, anti discrimination law was actually enforced in this country

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A group I worked with was using this for a position they were hiring for. It seemed like it cost them way more time than just not doing it. They had like the entire team review all the video applications, and they had way more videos to review than you would have people do interviews, so it was just a huge time sink for that group.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ziasquinn posted:

the video application stuff is stupid but I've gotten pretty killer jobs outta them

wassup my fellow lain

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yo fellow gaymer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

is this zoomer slang

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Fool posted:

is this zoomer slang

no, it's anime

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pretend I posted the gif of pam from the office holding two pieces of paper saying "there's no difference"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Fool posted:

pretend I posted the gif of pam from the office holding two pieces of paper saying "there's no difference"

What's the office, is it like bluey?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah but for millennials and genx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bluey is only losing out as the most-watched show in this household to Moon and Me

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

FISHMANPET posted:

A group I worked with was using this for a position they were hiring for. It seemed like it cost them way more time than just not doing it. They had like the entire team review all the video applications, and they had way more videos to review than you would have people do interviews, so it was just a huge time sink for that group.

Lol of course it is. It's not a dystopia unless both sides get negatively impacted by that kind of garbage.

It really doesn't make sense to do it unless you're also combining it with the normal screening and you just only look at the videos of those who pass that screen that you might want to interview anyway. Idk. It's loving dumb.

One whistleblower talking about filters to automatically trash non-white apps based on the vid screen would be something to see for sure.

Glad someone has gotten good jobs with them but it's like an extra layer of selling yourself when an interview is usually always soul crushing in that respect anyway. (I lucked out with my current job in that I only BS'd maybe 10-15 percent of the interview instead of the 50-70% that is typical)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
lain is a character from a 1998 scifi horror anime that is basically about how getting really into computers is the same thing as going psychotic, in a way.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ziasquinn posted:

lain is a character from a 1998 scifi horror anime that is basically about how getting really into computers is the same thing as going psychotic, in a way.

Interesting. The west had a cartoon called freakazoid! with a similar concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

imagine explaining se: lain to terminally online computer touchers