Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Sono posted:

What the hell have they pissed away $400 million on?

Logikv9 posted:

Walker, various drugs to forget about Walker's loss

They said "none of it was on presidential politics", so it's probably just various local/state races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do Iowans really understand the vast power over elections they have been given, and for no good reason that I know of?

They barely know how to spell the name of their state and they can only do that because it's a four letter word and one of the syllables tells you what the first letter is

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Donald Trump posted:

You look at all of the things that are bad-- I'll give you an example. And this isn't part of what I was going to say, but I ride down the highways and somebody makes those guard rails. You know the guard rails. The ones that sort of go like this [demonstrates with hand] that are always bent, rusted and horrible. Did you ever see more than like 20 feet which isn't corroded, or bent or the heat, if it gets too hot, it just crushes. Now they've been selling this thing for 25 years. Why doesn't someone stop them and get something that works. Because they don't know; they don't know what's happening. Somebody made a lot of money on that. They don't know what is happening.

If he never said that you're the best impersonator of all time. Please keep posting nonTrump statements like this instead of just repeating him. Those other posts are peanuts, but this one, terrific.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do Iowans really understand

No.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Donald Trump is currently sitting at 68% at Predictwise.

It's coming.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do Iowans really understand the vast power over elections they have been given, and for no good reason that I know of?

Haven't they deliberately set it up to always be first just so people will pretend Iowa matters once every four years?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

They either don't understand it at all or they understand it way too much and get all snooty like they've earned the right.

edit: also, Trump winning Iowa is at -310 on 5dimes right now, Hillary is only at -305... Hmm.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 2, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Carrasco posted:

They said "none of it was on presidential politics", so it's probably just various local/state races.

This is legitimately more frightening than any other alternative.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

OctoberBlues posted:

They either don't understand it at all or they understand it way too much and get all snooty like they've earned the right.

Last week NPR did a story on the history of why Iowa and New Hampshire are the primary states.

Their answer: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Montasque posted:

It's coming.

So am I :q:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

The day... When Edgar comes back

I got this joke btw

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just a reminder: we have a bipartisan TV/IV caucus thread for tonight!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How can Trump have a son that looks like that and a daughter like Ivanka

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Blue Blood in Iowa's hood
Lives down south and it's understood.
Jeb!'s there just to be low energy.
'Nother one of the Bush family.

Trump's in charge of
Our days and our nights.
Trump's in charge of
Our wrongs and our rights.
So I say
I want Trump's in charge of me.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing is the power of being first is overstated. On the Republican side there doesn't seem to be much evidence it influences the eventual outcome because it favors religious conservatives. If a candidate is not significantly Evangelical but still wins it's a good signaling mechanism, but overall the influence on later events doesn't appear isn't significant. Likewise on the Democratic side you have the obvious example of Obama's victory in Iowa followed by a defeat in New Hampshire.

It's important to win at least one early state, but which one doesn't appear particularly important, is what I draw from the data.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
"Martin O’Malley is not going to win the Democratic caucuses. Donald Trump will probably not finish behind Carly Fiorina." - Nate Silver, fivethirtyeight.com

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Montasque posted:

It's coming.

aaahhhhhhhhAAAAHHHHH

Donald Trump Donald Trump
Six foot 20 killing Jeb! for fun

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Logikv9 posted:

This is legitimately more frightening than any other alternative.

It's not a new strategy for them. It's also why the continued talk of the death of the GOP is premature

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not a new strategy for them. It's also why the continued talk of the death of the GOP is premature

It isn't, but I hadn't actually seen the full dollar amount that they throw at those local elections. It's also the reason why the House is going to be solid GOP for a long time.

Democrats suck on the local level. Just awful.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Brannock posted:

Lips that look like two worms loving, blonde, astonishingly rich, incest rumors swirling around his family...

We have our very own Joffrey

"Listen, I know Robb Stark. I met him in Winterfell, and I beat him in a duel with real swords. Very low-energy, his only supporters are losers like the Crannogmen."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The X-man cometh posted:

"Listen, I know Robb Stark. I met him in Winterfell, and I beat him in a duel with real swords. Very low-energy, his only supporters are losers like the Crannogmen."

so when the red wedding?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Thump! posted:

aaahhhhhhhhAAAAHHHHH

Donald Trump Donald Trump
Six foot 20 killing Jeb! for fun

He'll save the children but not the Muslim children

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

It's coming.

Actually he's at 74%. The percentages below the chart are more recent.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Montasque posted:

So if Trump does win tonight it looks like the Koch machine is finally going to unleash hell on him:
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/conservative-koch-brothers-political-network-stumped-trump-n508296

Oh good it'll be nice to have trump drag their names through the mud too

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

Actually he's at 74%. The percentages below the chart are more recent.

My god...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
That's still not a completely secure position though. If you want to understand why, flip two coins. If both are tails, Trump loses.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hearing Palin saying it wasn't even a close decision on whether to endorse Trump or Cruz is just beautiful.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Donald Trump posted:

You look at all of the things that are bad-- I'll give you an example. And this isn't part of what I was going to say, but I ride down the highways and somebody makes those guard rails. You know the guard rails. The ones that sort of go like this [demonstrates with hand] that are always bent, rusted and horrible. Did you ever see more than like 20 feet which isn't corroded, or bent or the heat, if it gets too hot, it just crushes. Now they've been selling this thing for 25 years. Why doesn't someone stop them and get something that works. Because they don't know; they don't know what's happening. Somebody made a lot of money on that. They don't know what is happening.

im actually stumped by this one. look at me, ma, stumped by the trump.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

nachos posted:

Donald Trump courting the "Enemy Mine" vote very loving thoroughly.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Hearing Palin saying it wasn't even a close decision on whether to endorse Trump or Cruz is just beautiful.

I'm just hear to watch Ted Cruz squirm really...

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Mark Levin has been complaining about how Iowa and the other initial states are small and don't matter and the all the nation needs to vote to decide on the true nominee.

I wonder what this implies about Ted Cruz's chances tonight as perceived by Master Shake?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

Mark Levin has been complaining about how Iowa and the other initial states are small and don't matter and the all the nation needs to vote to decide on the true nominee.

I wonder what this implies about Ted Cruz's chances tonight as perceived by Master Shake?

Mastershake meltdown = bad, bad, bad for Cruz.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Subvisual Haze posted:

i mean i agree that the opinions of americans who actually live in urban centers are far more important than... lets call it "empty garbage country"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nachos posted:

Koch brothers want to add their names to the very large Stumped 420 list

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koch brothers won't attack using their names, it'll be under a couple different names like Americans for <concern_troll> Rights and each entity will hammer away at one point

Who knows if it will work? Kochs power is in 100k grants to schools and townships and the like with a resource they want to exploit. Give the people on top a hefty pile of cash and odds are they'll let you loot the place.

They've got some sinister plans at the school I work at but there's a big push back against the administration accepting any of their money

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jewel Repetition posted:

That's still not a completely secure position though. If you want to understand why, flip two coins. If both are tails, Trump loses.
Isn't there something about how this isn't how probability actually works when it comes to predictions based on polling?
Like in 2012, 538 gave Romney a 10% chance to win the general, which Nate Silver later said "Was the probability that all the statistical evidence was wrong," and that comparing Romney's chances to a roll of a ten-sided die was a gross oversimplification.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
If Ted fuckin Cruz, the most evangelical fuckhead of all evangelical fuckheads in recent memory, who launched his campaign from fuckhead U, Liberty fuckin University cannot manage to win the early evangelical contest of Iofuckinwa, a state that Rick fuckin Santorum won in recent memory, then he should probably retire from politics immediately because he is very very bad at it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Isn't there something about how this isn't how probability actually works when it comes to predictions based on polling?
Like in 2012, 538 gave Romney a 10% chance to win the general, which Nate Silver later said "Was the probability that all the statistical evidence was wrong," and that comparing Romney's chances to a roll of a ten-sided die was a gross oversimplification.

um nate silver is an idiot dipshit loser, dont you know where you are?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

uncurable mlady posted:

If Ted fuckin Cruz, the most evangelical fuckhead of all evangelical fuckheads in recent memory, who launched his campaign from fuckhead U, Liberty fuckin University cannot manage to win the early evangelical contest of Iofuckinwa, a state that Rick fuckin Santorum won in recent memory, then he should probably retire from politics immediately because he is very very bad at it.

Conversely, if he gets beaten out by a guy who said "Two Corinthians" and got mixed up on the difference between a communion plate and an offering plate, well, that sure says something.

• Locked thread