Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Linguica posted:

if I ever have to reinstall windows I'm pretty sure I have to install vista and then use my windows 7 upgrade disk lol

or could I, like, somehow legally download a windows 7 ISO from MS by inputting my keys somewhere

if i wanted to be completely legal according to the licenses i have, i would need to install xp, upgrade to 7, then upgrade to 8, then upgrade to 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

windows/ms is jealous of the chrome system of blasting out small updates to put out fires and not having to market actual versions or create narratives for improvements, they just want to be able to giveth and taketh away, but add in a wrinkle where they charge for it

i dont see the product 'windows' getting version numbers again after 10, you'll just get a windows license and concerns about hardware compatibility will become an opaque topic

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the kin packaging was neat, it was tube-based

i can always get behind tubes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Linguica posted:

if I ever have to reinstall windows I'm pretty sure I have to install vista and then use my windows 7 upgrade disk lol

or could I, like, somehow legally download a windows 7 ISO from MS by inputting my keys somewhere

iirc they are the same disc. its the key that determines whether or not its oem, upgrade, retail, etc.

i also remember it being easy to trick it into "upgrading" a blank disk by formatting it first

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

through some horrific combination of steps i was able to full install win 7 home premium and then "upgrade it" to pro with my upgrade key with the windows anytime upgrade (that's long dead, but apparently can accept upgrade keys despite saying it wont)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Linguica posted:

you can "upgrade" by installing windows from scratch from that disc, then running through the install from within that installation to perform the "upgrade"

if you don't do that your key won't activate

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 27, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

duTrieux. posted:

the kin packaging was neat, it was tube-based

i can always get behind tubes

you seem more like the type to enjoy getting in front of tube IYKWIM

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

carry on then posted:

if i wanted to be completely legal according to the licenses i have, i would need to install xp, upgrade to 7, then upgrade to 8, then upgrade to 8.1

don't you have to go xp -> vista -> 7? i thought there wasn't a direct upgrade from xp -> 7

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

you seem more like the type to enjoy getting in front of tube IYKWIM

as long as it's pneumatic

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Main Paineframe posted:

don't you have to go xp -> vista -> 7? i thought there wasn't a direct upgrade from xp -> 7
there is definitely a direct xp -> 7 upgrade

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

no, xp to win 7 was a valid upgrade path, just has to be pro to pro or home to home

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

windows XPerience is the worst name for an OS jfc

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

almost as bad as just skipping a version # for no reason

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

any word yet on taking a win 7 starter edition up to 10? the fine print does not yet say 'gently caress off you parasite'

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Korean Boomhauer posted:

they are still going to charge for it (somehow) after the first year so we are still stuck with licences and Microsoft Genuine Advantage bullshit until they turn windows into a f2p mmo
i can't wait to buy festive hats for the start metro modern ui windows 9 windows X start orb for consumers pro business 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

any word yet on taking a win 7 starter edition up to 10? the fine print does not yet say 'gently caress off you parasite'

microsoft's official word is probably more like: "win 7? starter edition? not sure what you mean. try again later"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

you can "upgrade" by installing windows from scratch from that disc, then running through the install from within that installation to perform the "upgrade"

if you don't do that your key won't activate

it's even dumber, it's just modifying a registry key and then "slmgr -rearm"

the key in question is literally called, essentially, "did you install windows by booting from the install media" and if you change that registry key to 0 (no) it goes "oh, so you obviously upgraded, so now upgrade keys will work"

the key checker for windows isn't really that difficult to con, and as long as your key trail is otherwise in order you should be fine if the bsa goes all csi on your machine

i'm pretty sure that's all windows keeps track of, anyway, i don't think your chain of previous keys is stored in any way in your windows 7 install so you'd need your older keys kicking around some other way anyway

univbee fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 27, 2015

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

i dont see the product 'windows' getting version numbers again after 10, you'll just get a windows license and concerns about hardware compatibility will become an opaque topic
i'm just waiting for them to gently caress up version numbers like they did for win 8.1 u 1 and have things like windows 10.1.1016 rc 2 update 7

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phoenixan posted:

i'm just waiting for them to gently caress up version numbers like they did for win 8.1 u 1 and have things like windows 10.1.1016 rc 2 update 7
actually that's a common mistake, it's just windows 8.1 update

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

i'm pretty sure that's all windows keeps track of, anyway, i don't think your chain of previous keys is stored in any way in your windows 7 install so you'd need your older keys kicking around some other way anyway

they're not and you do for license compliance, but the BSA doesn't give a poo poo how you installed windows as long as you have the chain of licenses that adds up to what you're using now

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

well that settles it then, i guess this is what it feels like to turn into one of those old dingbats still running dos to get along just fine with ansi-view word processing

you cant wilfully decide to skip two full os releases and not develop an interest in ham radio and sea captains hats

i look forward to designing myself a spiffy qsl card and storing old bits of wire in coffee cans

i'm considering... linux

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
From their earnings announcement:

quote:

The average selling price for Microsoft's phones was $45 last quarter.

they've cornered the market on poorphones.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sassafras posted:

This might be one of those things that mostly affects people using low memory VMs, so awful disk I/O speed plus no space to keep index caches in RAM leads to a big delay. I'm not seeing it either, on hardware. And there will surely be at least be a registry key to disable the web search, if not a checkbox in the final UI. The internal MSFT folks will want it for themselves.

But still, this is how software gets developed and this isn't the final version.

Look at the bright side: they fixed the 24" calculator!

The pile-on here is ridiculous.

e:fb

Smythe posted:

*laboriously turns huge crank attached to ridiculous backpack with a huge satellite dish listing dangerously out of the top* my care meter detects... *grunts and turns the crank a few more times, a vintage klaxon blurts briefly before sparks erupt from the pack and the sound snuffs out* u mad

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

they really have no clue holy poo poo I can't believe it's gotten even worse, there is absolutely no single style and every attempt at one is laughably awful

ALCHEMY

lol its like a worse ios8

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fleshweasel posted:

parallels installs the ui unfucking things for me lol

lovely screenshot, sry.

l m a o

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

i was wondering... is a tablet/desktop hybrid os just fundamentally flawed as a concept or is it just microsoft's execution that's so bad?

Is there even a winning strategy for them at this point?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

well, building that desktop/tablet hybrid on top of the skeleton filled crypt that is the legacy windows codebase is the fundamentally flawed part, i have no doubt that the ancient 'add font from disk' 100px x 200px menu is still somewhere in win10

someone can make desktop/tablet work, but its not going to be a company still working with the seedling cuttings of 1991's interface guidelines

the fact they had to abandon cleartype should have been the initial warning jolt that they had begun to derail

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Messyass posted:

i was wondering... is a tablet/desktop hybrid os just fundamentally flawed as a concept or is it just microsoft's execution that's so bad?

Is there even a winning strategy for them at this point?

it's fundamentally flawed, steve jobs pretty much explicitly said this and he seemed to know what he was talking about with this stuff

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Messyass posted:

i was wondering... is a tablet/desktop hybrid os just fundamentally flawed as a concept

yes lol

they were told this years and years ago and ballmer went 'YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO' and doubled down. lol @ people like that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
microsoft upper management is basically the technology backfire effect irl and its gonna ruin the entire company lol

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

i mean hypothetically you can have a desktop/tablet hybrid UI but you'll never have one that's also great for either one, there will always be tradeoffs just from the different input methods

you could treat the finger like a really fat mouse cursor and just make everything bigger, but then you'll have to scroll a lot or navigate through a billion submenus for stuff with a lot of info like the file browser, device manager, etc

also you'd need a unified design language throughout the entire thing to train people what's clickable, draggable, expandable, etc.

it'd take a lot of work and a ton of QA testing and managers willing to scrap things and start again if something isn't working

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

turnways posted:

i mean hypothetically you can have a desktop/tablet hybrid UI but you'll never have one that's also great for either one, there will always be tradeoffs just from the different input methods
actually, there were no tradeoffs.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

metro is becoming just another layer of sediment in the cross section of windows and it's p lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

turnways posted:

you could treat the finger like a really fat mouse cursor and just make everything bigger, but then you'll have to scroll a lot or navigate through a billion submenus for stuff with a lot of info like the file browser, device manager, etc

also you'd need a unified design language throughout the entire thing to train people what's clickable, draggable, expandable, etc.

it'd take a lot of work and a ton of QA testing and managers willing to scrap things and start again if something isn't working

except this doesn't really work, either

the thing with ui design is that your design expecting mouse input and your design expecting finger input are not at all the same thing if both are done right, and this is also true for things like an iPhone screen size vs. an iPad screen size. mac os has the best design: if you also want touch/tablet capability, get an ipad and cloud sync your poo poo, that is absolutely the best you can do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

turnways posted:

they have all of that they just don't use it. theres litterrally nothing technically preventing them from right now designing these uis to work one way w/ touch devices and another way w/ mouse+kb. like im not just talking about one ui that works for both, its different uis with the same content dependent on input device.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why can't microsoft just make a Windows for corporate guys with all the legacy poo poo, but also a Windows Consumer version that guts it, making it a more streamlined OS.

Greybeards who want to run dos and have that sim city fixing code still work as designed can use the corporate ISOs otherwise you just use a regular cut down ISO. Same key would work.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

they have all of that they just don't use it. theres litterrally nothing technically preventing them from right now designing these uis to work one way w/ touch devices and another way w/ mouse+kb. like im not just talking about one ui that works for both, its different uis with the same content dependent on input device.
being technically possible doesn't mean it's a good idea, the amount of upkeep as you make changes to she software would be maddening and become more work than just having two separate versions very quickly, and all to justify this busted laptop/tablet hybrid idea that nobody wanted in the first place

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

univbee posted:

except this doesn't really work, either

the thing with ui design is that your design expecting mouse input and your design expecting finger input are not at all the same thing if both are done right, and this is also true for things like an iPhone screen size vs. an iPad screen size. mac os has the best design: if you also want touch/tablet capability, get an ipad and cloud sync your poo poo, that is absolutely the best you can do

this is basically why the ipad was successful and tablet pcs (lol) were not

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Why can't microsoft just make a Windows for corporate guys with all the legacy poo poo, but also a Windows Consumer version that guts it, making it a more streamlined OS.

i'm the type of guy who doesn't like being told what to do. :crosses arms: windows 8. one os across all devices. touch everywhere. do more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

who exactly does a single codebase with 2 or 3 different UIs in it benefit? not the people who have to build the software and not the people who use it

• Locked thread