Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Estates also don't seem to gain any loyalty if you use development to improve a province held by them. I guess it's to be expected in a first iteration of an idea, but it's still a bit annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If a nation refuses to join an ally in a war, the alliance breaks. I think AI nations always auto-send defensive calls to arms to their allies, so declaring war on the Papal State would lead to them sending a call to Spain, Spain refusing it, and the alliance ceasing to exist.

Spain can't be against you in two different wars at once. The cta will not fire, but if Spain leaves that first war before the second finished they can be called in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Estates also don't seem to gain any loyalty if you use development to improve a province held by them. I guess it's to be expected in a first iteration of an idea, but it's still a bit annoying.

Yeah, that's because loyalty is based almost entirely on past events, rather than your current status, while influence is the exact opposite.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Loyalty is actually the sum of your actions towards them, which makes sense.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Exploration or Expansion for Muscovy? I'm kinda leaning Exploration so I can take religious second, but I have no clue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you're going to do either (you don't need to) Exploration. Put those much less useful diplo points to good use. Exploration will also let you colonize in SEA/NA if you're into that. You don't need the CB from Expansion, since you get one that's almost as good from Religious.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Fuligin posted:

If I were you I'd add a great deal of custom nations as well, since I don't think any of the RNW tiles have that many interesting powers for you to contest, even with the High American empires.

I actually found a pretty neat RNW place where the obsidian and burning empire and the Chinese one too were all there. Not to mention I am actively awful at this game, so having it be slightly easy may be in favor for the LP not ending catastrophically in two years.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Trip report from my restarted Muscovy->Russia game that I asked for help with a few pages back, it's 1684 and I have reached the Pacific.

The most satisfying thing about playing Russia so far is that you get to have the BIGGEST NAME ON THE MAP

Things in Western Europe aren't too crazy, Austria and France going ham as per usual. The Netherlands formed not too long ago and have been swiftly beaten back to one province with no coastal access. I have generally left Sweden to its own devices, they have been my allies for most of the game. The Commonwealth is on it's last legs, I took Danzig with two wars early on and then left them alone for quite a while, now I am pretty much warring on truce cooldown to get as much land as I can before Otto does.

Otto is fat as hell, they are the only nation close to me in manpower or army size. I've kept them as allies whenever I can, a great reckoning between us will come at some point but I want to get further ahead in tech.

The RNW is a weird one, very compact and with a huge empty Atlantic Ocean. I had to deploy my first naval mission after two centuries of boatless life, my hapless explorer and his two light ships nearly died of attrition trying to sail from the Baltic to Kamchatka, I had to emergency beg for fleet basing from the Ottomans so I could repair and wait until I could research limes. I have now started a tiny colony in 'Wakkafoz' for which I have great hopes.

After I win the war I just started with the Commonwealth my next order of business is to march my armies east and take a chunk out of Super Korea, with the end goal of picking up Trade ideas late in the game and getting all those sweet sweet colonial goods flowing across Siberia and in to my coffers. I have never been rich in this game, I have had to learn the skill of micro-managing the army maintenance slider.

As an aside, the vastness of the Atlantic led to Portugal colonizing all (and I mean ALL) of Africa before anyone else could get enough colonial range. They seemed to be in great shape, I saw that they had conquered Goa and the 'spcie islands' event fired for them, but somehow it all went wrong and in the past few decades they have lost a bunch of wars and seem to be circling the drain. Right now they are at -3 stability and -96 prestige with rebels all over the place.

The Religious->Exploration ideas start is definitely a good one, I think you could probably get away without Deus Vult in the early game and just rely on the mission-generated claims that you have access to but you need it eventually.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jamsque posted:

Trip report from my restarted Muscovy->Russia game that I asked for help with a few pages back, it's 1684 and I have reached the Pacific.

The most satisfying thing about playing Russia so far is that you get to have the BIGGEST NAME ON THE MAP

Hey look, a screenshot of the exact moment that my Russia campaigns start to feel tiresome :smith:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Pretty happy with this so far. Just going to take out Hungary, going to try to take Prague to westernize.

Really annoying that Russia managed to take some of Anatolia before me, going to have to gently caress him up. Fortunately he doesn't seem to have colonized east.

Edit: also almost not pictured, I own Sri Lanka

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rakthar posted:

Hey look, a screenshot of the exact moment that my Russia campaigns start to feel tiresome :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Loyalty is actually the sum of your actions towards them, which makes sense.

Yes, that's what I said. Estates get loyalty from being granted provinces, but not from actually holding them. The problem is that influence is the exact opposite, and the fact that your estates can acquire provinces without you granting them.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I don't mind estates but if there was a way to burn them all to the ground in exchange for forever forgoing all their bonuses I would probably take it most games

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rakthar posted:

Hey look, a screenshot of the exact moment that my Russia campaigns start to feel tiresome I declare war on the entire world and watch it all burn :unsmigghh:

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

RentACop posted:

Yeah I don't mind estates but if there was a way to burn them all to the ground in exchange for forever forgoing all their bonuses I would probably take it most games

Yes, after a few games I feel that way too.
Edit: I would probably feel differently if there were a better way to manage their influence. There should be some way, however ineffecient, to raise loyalty without raising influence.

Double edit: is anyone else having problems with the peace screen not accurately reflecting your AE impact? I've had a few surprise coalitions form against me.

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 9, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm really not understanding how you guys get screwed by them so much. I have gone through the event once to revoke their power because they got too powerful, but that's once in like 50+ hours of gameplay. Not a big deal.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
With Random New World, do colonial nations not re-name and re-flag when they win their independence? I was hoping Portuguese Tsiritare would become bizarro Argentina.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jamsque posted:

With Random New World, do colonial nations not re-name and re-flag when they win their independence? I was hoping Portuguese Tsiritare would become bizarro Argentina.

I wish instead of being called things like Spanish Kallokapalloka, they'd have a different system.

Like perhaps the first European state to create a colony in a region gets a pop-up that lets them rename the region if they choose. So England might name a region Newfoundland, Spain might name it San Salvador, France might name it Acadia. Have a list of plausible semi-historic names for the major culture groups.

Is there a scripting command to rename regions like there is provinces? Seems like this could be a plausible mod like Rosetta if so.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jamsque posted:

my hapless explorer and his two light ships nearly died of attrition

Wait, I thought you needed three heavies and three lights to send out an exploration fleet?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, I thought you needed three heavies and three lights to send out an exploration fleet?

You need three ships, of either heavies or lights or some combination of the two.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

welp

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Unless I'm mistaken it's always better to send three lights, since they're faster and way less expensive.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

You need three ships, of either heavies or lights or some combination of the two.

Really?! I could've sworn you needed to have at least one of each, when I last played... (which, granted, was a fair while ago now)

Also, is all this RNW chat by any chance because they have released the new version/update of the RNW generator? At work at present so I can't easily check, but if so, drat I might need to fast-track me buying and playing the Cossacks expansion!

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I don't know what you lot are talking about, I always use two light ships to explore with. Or is it just that you have to have had that many ships at any point in the past? I inherited fleets from vassals a few times and just scrapped them.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
In my experience you can't start an exploration mission with just two light ships. Can you reproduce a single explorer on two light ships being able to do so (Portugal in 1444 is a fine bookmark to test this), and do you have to use any mods or exploits to reproduce that?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Jamsque posted:

I don't know what you lot are talking about, I always use two light ships to explore with. Or is it just that you have to have had that many ships at any point in the past? I inherited fleets from vassals a few times and just scrapped them.

Do you have El Dorado? I think it's a change specific to that expansion. You get automated exploration missions so you don't need to click on each province manually, but you need to have 3+ ships in the fleet.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm really not understanding how you guys get screwed by them so much. I have gone through the event once to revoke their power because they got too powerful, but that's once in like 50+ hours of gameplay. Not a big deal.

Yeah I feel the same, I have 40+ hours now and I haven't even gotten it once, and I've dipped into the disasters countless times. I feel like people see the scary red fire and think it's game over, but there's an 80 month timer on it. Unless you went utterly nuts with the influence, you'll almost certainly get an event or something that puts you in the green again.

I'm sure the estates need and will get some balancing, but I'm still really really liking them. I like that influence reduction is hard to come by, it means you have to actually plan a bit and think about the events seriously.

e: also one really understated thing that estates bring that I think is actually pretty gamechanging: the integration into existing popups in the game. I don't know about you guys but with a few exceptions, probably like 90% of popups and events had a right answer for me that I would just click on every time without even thinking. I can't do that anymore, and I love that so much.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Really?! I could've sworn you needed to have at least one of each, when I last played... (which, granted, was a fair while ago now)

Also, is all this RNW chat by any chance because they have released the new version/update of the RNW generator? At work at present so I can't easily check, but if so, drat I might need to fast-track me buying and playing the Cossacks expansion!

You don't have to buy cossacks for the rnw updates, I think.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I feel like a new province should have full separatism or it should keep its estate, but not both. I don't know how to balance that but it's what I want.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So when will we see the EU4 to Stellaris save game converter? I'm waiting.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Node posted:

So when will we see the EU4 to Stellaris save game converter? I'm waiting.

Need to go through Victoria 3 and Hearts of Iron 4 first.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hi hello yes welcome, white man, to Belgium.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Can modded RNW tiles add weird province modifiers or things like that? It could be interesting to stick weird custom buildings or modifiers or what have you on specific fantasy tiles for fantasy RNW options.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I feel like RNW would be way better with a few more configuration parameters so you could adjust things like the weight towards islands/continents, large amounts of land/large amounts of sea, native density, stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, I think the stuff it puts out is really nice, but sometimes (pretty much every time) I want a specific type of new world, without having to reload the game a couple dozen times to get an adequate seed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

kharaa posted:

the weight towards islands/continents

I feel like it would produce less silly results by default if it was much, much more weighted towards continents. As it is, you rarely get anything with enough landmass to actually be comparable to the Americas, but "I only got a bunch of islands / two continents the size of Australia" should be a lot rarer instead of pretty much the default.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It would be cool if somewhere amongst revamping the alliance/trust system, Paradox would fix the AI behavior that will have them call you to arms then sit for years racking up WE from Call for Peace because they don't want to peace out despite having 95% warscore and maxed ticking score.

:what:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Koramei posted:

Do you have El Dorado? I think it's a change specific to that expansion. You get automated exploration missions so you don't need to click on each province manually, but you need to have 3+ ships in the fleet.
You are right, I don't have El Dorado. I didn't realise it had things beyond the fantasy scenarios and I am not so interested in that, although i play with random new world so I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I click on all of the fog.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Just finished an Ideas Guy run, it was a lot of fun. I started in the New World, and I had some good luck because it took nearly 100 years before a colonizer appeared in my FoW. Towards the end (I finished in 1708) I just enacted a bunch of policies that increased my income and that gave me a +100 ducat boost. I probably could have gone on to conquer the entire New World but didn't feel like it. I definitely want to do more of the custom achievements, it makes for a fun, new challenge.

It's crazy how many colonies you can fund at once when your manufactories start coming online, at the end I had 9 colonies going at once and was still in the black. If I'd played until 1820 I could have had over 1000 gross income a month, easily.

Here's the map when I got the achievement, for once the Protestant League won the HRE wars!.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The Ottomans did not gently caress around in your game.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ottomans not loving around? Forget that. Check that Savoy out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

and the diplomatic change, and maybe transfer occupation, and ...

I looked down the wiki list and I really don't think there's anything else that changes things fundamentally. Funny as it is to throw someone into the thick of it, people getting overwhelmed by Paradox games is a pretty chronic problem and I think this is one of the easier ways to alleviate that.

In fact even beyond the DLC, there is tons of stuff in this game you really don't need to worry about for a while if you start safe inside Europe. Trade in particular. Just ignore that whole system until you get a handle on things like alliances, overextension, and aggressive expansion.

As a new player I actually think that I was better off from having the DLC all turned on. A good example of this is that I didn't buy El Dorado until my second game, so I had to forget everything that I had just learned about exploration and then learn two new systems (naval exploration + the Search For El Dorado style of exploration, which are both great but quite different). I don't think that was beneficial at all. Other systems like Trade Companies are totally optional and can just be ignored if I don't want to learn about them (although Trade Companies in particular were pretty easy to learn about)

I'm not a Paradox player, I tried to play Hearts of Iron 3 a long time ago and closed it within about 5 minutes. EU4 doesn't feel like that kind of game. Yes, it has a lot of knobs and levers, but it just feels a lot more user-friendly than those older hardcore strategy games.

• Locked thread