Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah naan usually comes with the meal here

Not surprised it doesn't in Europe, they don't even give you loving water lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

MajorBonnet posted:

The search results are muddled by facsimile editions, but original 1925 first editions look to start around $2,000 in decent condition with no dust jacket and go up over $100,000.

Wow. The OP infers it's not the top value but that's a lot of money for a "just friends" gift for anyone who isn't wealthy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are we really going to have the same exact discussion all over again?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would much rather keep talking about naan, to be honest.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I'm not going to say it was a creative writing exercise, but is it a coincidence that "The Great Gatsby" went out of copyright last year, making it totally legal to write adaptations of? I think not!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Biplane posted:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah naan usually comes with the meal here

We just can't stop improving on what the Brits half-assed :911:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I do horrible in groups too but I at least put on my grown up pants and suck it up for the people who I care about.

And your own kid's wedding? Dude. What the gently caress.

"The food didn't look appetizing" Wow, adding insult to injury as well.

What a selfish prick. A terrible dad.

Edit: He doubled down in the comments with incredible statements such as "it's just another party" and compared the mother/son dance that was planned (which he ruined) to 'Footloose'.

Also, everyone who said he was NTA are being downvoted into oblivion. So at least we have something to laugh about.

It's "He asked if I was going to at least stay for cake or for food but the food didn’t look all that appetizing to me so I told him I was just going to leave." That did it for me, I have a ton of social anxiety, but if your breaking point is "they didn't have delicious nom-noms" not "I'm going to have a panic attack if I don't leave now," gently caress you, especially for your own son.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Great marriage. Threaten to get my husband deported when we fight but who doesn’t have stories like that?

That post bugs me, and it's probably projection on my part, but I've known a few (white, middle class, very liberal) women that have married guys from very different cultures, and just treated them like pets, not people at all. Like they start out by going "oh, this is my husband from (country) and it's so bad there, so I've ensured he'll have a great life here by marrying him!" But they give no consideration to them as a person, no thought or understanding to their partner's culture....

It's kinda a toss in the story, since it's a two-way street, and they should try and come to an understanding, but jumping straight to "I'll have your rear end deported*" is super hosed up, and just dropping a nuke on your relationship by emphasizing you're the one with 100% of the power here.

*this is not a winning legal strategy, and US immigration law is actually very favorable to foreign nationals who's US citizen partners are adulterous, or initiate the divorce, in terms of allowing the foreign born partner to remain in the country on a visa and apply for citizenship via normal channels.

E: Naan is split 50/50 in a relationship, if you get divorced at the Indian restaurant you still both get half, regardless of entrée wetness.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Biplane posted:

Yeah that other thing seems like a naan-issue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nonathlon posted:

On the other hand, when someone describes their feelings or a situation as "complicated" that's usually code for "I don't want to say".

Evil Willow posted:

[liberal paraphrasing]

I did end up talking to Logan about it and telling him about the original post. I ended up making a note of some of peoples’ questions and asking him.

• Logan did not buy the book as a way to express romantic interest
• Logan has never had romantic interest
• Feelings are complicated

Also, tangled metaphor about trying to put their complicated past under a jeweler's loupe.

Yeah, seems cut and dry... on Logan's end.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Elviscat posted:

It's kinda a toss in the story, since it's a two-way street, and they should try and come to an understanding, but jumping straight to "I'll have your rear end deported*" is super hosed up, and just dropping a nuke on your relationship by emphasizing you're the one with 100% of the power here.

Pretty sure the parents had really bad vibes, and was just unpleasant to be around.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, seems cut and dry... on Logan's end.

I'm guessing Logan picked up on the same behavior OP's mom mentioned and decided never to try to make the relationship romantic.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

hawowanlawow posted:

What the hell are you talking about

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

axolotl farmer posted:

Pretty sure the parents had really bad vibes, and was just unpleasant to be around.

They did seem terrible in OP's brief telling of them in the story, but it's unimaginable to me that you'd try to offend them that way, to insult your own relationship with their son.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Naan has never been included unless it's like a combo or something like a goon upthread mentioned

Even if it was included I'd still order more :yum:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Whorelord posted:

What the hell are you talking about

Maybe they're thinking about how a lot of restaurants don't put ice in your cup if you ask for water (in Europe).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Only place I know in Ireland where you get free naan with your food - Spicy Bite in the Moore Street Market (under Moore st.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3m_kd9J7C4

Food is delicious and, at 11.99 per person for all you can eat, still insanely cheap for what you get.

10/10 would recommend.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Throw some leftover naan in the toaster if it gets a bit stale then microwave a cup with some minced garlic and butter dip and enjoy!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for not letting my GF eat the naan bread we ordered?

B-but she's not eating the food she paid for how I want to :qq:

At an expensive (because he’s stressing expensive here) place I would assume the Naan bread would be 4-5. 6-7 if it’s like actually fine dining maybe. That’s what you just priced your relationship at bud.

Also: never gotten free naan with my meal for a non-Buffett and I live in America. Get free rice and chutney every time but never naan.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 23, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Of the five or six Indian places near me I'd say half of them give plain naan for free and then charge for the special naan like butter, garlic, laccha, pudina, etc.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for ignoring my gf's period pains and making her do her own tasks?

quote:

We're both 25, been together since 20. She moved in 3 years ago, and I was surprised to realize she had some pretty painful periods where she couldn't even move from the bed for 1-3 days (she never canceled a meeting before and we met almost daily). I was trying to be helpful ofc, rubbing her back and staying with her whenever I could, making her food and doing every household chore during that time (we usually split it equally). I honestly can't even imagine what living with that must be like so I was trying to be as helpful as I could.

Then as her periods got worse, the stuff I was suddenly required to do for her got 'bigger'. Do all the chores she neglected until now, take her car for that checkup again, get her cats to the vet, do delivery runs (she works catering), do her taxes or some other paperwork she could have done weeks ago but she 'suddenly' has a deadline for tomorrow. She'd only ever invite guests for just a day after she starts feeling better, so I have to do all the cooking/cleaning/prep the day before. It got to the point where she puts off literally all her tasks for weeks and then asks me to do them because of some mysterious deadline that popped up just now.

Then a year ago I got a job that requires me to leave the country every few weeks, for a few days. This happened 4 times during her periods since, and guess what, all 4 times she had a "miraculous pain-free period". She went to girls nights, beach trips with friends, team building events at her workplace (the last one was a sports event where she climbed walls all day with zero issues). Then I get back home, and it's "please please can you do this I'm crying from pain" again.

So last week she asked me to pick up her sister from the airport, because her cramps are just so bad she literally can't even sit up. I told her that I'm sorry but I'm busy doing the chores she put off for the last 2 weeks, sis can call an Uber. Lots of tears later, gf can somehow move again, grudingly gets into the car and goes. When she came back I told her I don't believe she's really in pain anymore, or at least not in a much as she claims to be. Now I'm the devil incarnate who wants women to suffer and doesn't understand how periods work (I get that pain-free periods can happen, I just don't believe her story anymore).

AITA?

Edit: We discussed her pain levels several times as I found it concerning too, but she goes to regular checkups, and she said her doc can't really do anything besides prescribing painkillers, which I can't recall seeing her actually take (but she says she does and the pills do disappear somewhere).

Lady, there are so many dudes who are such dicks about periods, don't ruin one of the few who isn't!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Throw some leftover naan in the toaster if it gets a bit stale then microwave a cup with some minced garlic and butter dip and enjoy!

smh if naan gets stale in your household

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tom Tucker posted:

Individually I understand the words "leftover" and "naan" but when you string them together like that they don't make any sense.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tom Tucker posted:

You don't deserve naan.

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You don't deserve naan.

Don't want naan of it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i wonder if logan likes naan

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Naan is really good. Feels unhinged to have a curry dish, and have naan, and not dip the naan in the curry. That said, obviously if you're splitting something your partner gets to just eat naan by itself if they want. If it's that big of a deal, order out slightly less often so you can afford to order enough food that everyone gets as much as they want.

I'm kind of on the side of leave the wedding early dad. At least, I assume the son knows how the dad is, and the dad said something ahead of time. But I don't like weddings or most large social gatherings. So, ymmv.

Great Gatsby haver was dating her bf for seven months and they'd never said I love you? Is that common or is that like an especially long time to not be able to say that? Feels like a long time to me but I don't know what other people are like.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hellblazer187 posted:

Great Gatsby haver was dating her bf for seven months and they'd never said I love you? Is that common or is that like an especially long time to not be able to say that? Feels like a long time to me but I don't know what other people are like.

it's not a very long time if they don't love each other.

e: i usually do that within a few months but i am an idiot, i assume 7 months is more normal

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Keema Naan brushed with garlic ghee butter is gods own creation

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Love is a weird word, lots of different ways to interpret what it means. Various different levels of intensity and seriousness are meant with the word and those usually aren't spelled out implicitly. BF says I love you, GF doesn't feel ready to say it back. Maybe there's a mismatch in feelings but maybe there's just a mismatch in the definition of the word love.

Like, if you're seeing someone romantically and exclusively for several months and they have stuff at your house and they've met your parents why would you keep going with that if you don't love them at least a little bit? What other word would you use to describe that feeling? "Like?" I don't know, the word 'like' seems inadequate for that level of connection.

Anyways I love naan.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for ignoring my gf's period pains and making her do her own tasks?

Lady, there are so many dudes who are such dicks about periods, don't ruin one of the few who isn't!

For OP's girlfriend, the topic of her period pains are a naan starter

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Stop all this naansense

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Naahn

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's not a very long time if they don't love each other.

e: i usually do that within a few months but i am an idiot, i assume 7 months is more normal

as long as you don't say the l word within 7 days of meeting them you're good by modern standards

also something about green eyes? high school english was a long time ago. don't get shot in a pool

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
My name is deeply concerned, and I am a naanaholic

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I am insanely jealous of the couple who does the same kind of bickering with sexual tension as the guys from Peep Show. That's the dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pBUOMlNgy0

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for not opening the bathroom door for my brothers gf while in the shower?

quote:

I (16M) live with my parents, as well as my brother (20M) and his girlfriend (20F). We will call his girlfriend "Paige". Paige moved in with us about a year ago, since her parents wanted her to pay rent.

Now, we have 2 bathrooms, one with a shower and one without. Since moving in, Paige has made it very clear that she doesn't like the smaller bathroom. She would rather wait until the person is done in the larger one then use the smaller one. Whatever, I don't really have a preference so I usually use the small one to prevent drama.

Anyways, a couple days ago I had just come home from a long run and I was gross and sweaty. As soon as I got into the house I went to the larger bathroom to go take a shower. Everything was fine until I hear banging on the door. Mind you, I am mid shower, fully naked and covered in soap. I ask the person banging what they want and Paige answers 'Let me in, I have to pee'. I am shocked, and ask her 'is the other bathroom being used?' She sighs exasperated and says 'just loving let me in!' I tell her no, that she can either use the other bathroom or wait.

She starts banging on the door and cursing me out, and this goes on for about 5 minutes. I just tune her out and continue my shower. When I was done, I just assumed she relented and used the other one, but was met with a warm, wet surprise when I stepped into the hallway. Paige had pissed on the floor and didn't even clean it up.

I'm angry now, not only did she harass me while I was showering but now she left a disgusting mess that could have been avoided if she just used the other bathroom. I stormed to her and my brothers room and we got into an argument, the gist of it being 'this wouldn't have happened if you just opened the door' from her (and later my brother) and 'you were invading my privacy and left a big gross mess'.

Paige ended up telling my parents everything except the pissing on the floor part. They were already on my side to begin with, but when I told them that final detail they were livid. They almost kicked her out, but after they calmed down a little they told her that she'd have to find somewhere else to shower because she was no longer allowed the use the big bathroom.

Now my brother is not talking to me and his girlfriend is telling everyone that I was a manipulative rear end in a top hat who almost made her homeless. I don't think I was the rear end in a top hat, but maybe she is right?

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Professor Wayne posted:

I am insanely jealous of the couple who does the same kind of bickering with sexual tension as the guys from Peep Show. That's the dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pBUOMlNgy0

Four naan between three people is insane, though

e.

Kurieg posted:

Pissed on the floor of the house she's (presumably) living rent-free? :psyduck:

Tijuana-A-Go-Go fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 23, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIks2kSUxo&t=69s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kurieg posted:

what in the absolute gently caress